April 26, 2024, 03:34:53 PM

Author Topic: Barnes named new Jamaica coach  (Read 7115 times)

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Barnes named new Jamaica coach
« on: September 16, 2008, 05:07:27 PM »
Barnes named new coach of Jamaica

By Jonathan Stevenson

Barnes has been keen to get back into management since leaving Celtic

England and Liverpool great John Barnes has been named as the new national coach of Jamaica.
The 44-year-old Jamaican-born former England winger has been chosen to replace Brazilian Rene Simoes, who was sacked as technical director last week.
"The Jamaica Football Federation announces the appointment of Mr Barnes and he will take up official duties on 1 November," said a statement.
Barnes' last post in management ended with the sack at Celtic in 2000.
The JFF statement continued: "Mr Barnes will be in charge of the preparation of the national team for the Digicel Caribbean Cup (DCC) between 1 and 15 December and the Concacaf Gold Cup scheduled for June 2009.
"He will also be in charge of the final round of World Cup Qualifiers in 2009, should Jamaica advance to this stage of the competition.
"Mr Barnes' contract will be reviewed following the aforementioned events."
Jamaica are currently last in their four-team World Cup qualifying group on one point from three games, with three games remaining. To have a chance of advancing to the final stage of the Concacaf qualifying round, they must beat Mexico, Honduras and Canada and hope other results go their way. Former Hull and Tranmere midfielder Theodore Whitmore will take charge of those World Cup games, staying on as Barnes' assistant after.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Barnes named new Jamaica coach
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 05:14:22 PM »
Seem like JA  throw in the towel
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 05:22:20 PM »

Not neccisarily. With 3 home games remaining, and with Simoes continued non-selection of key players, this is an attempt to turn things around. There is no way all of 4 kids should have been given debuts in critical world cup qualifying games while seasoned players watch form the sidelines.

In any case, our fortunes are not totally in our hands. We can win all our remaining games and still not make it to the Hex.

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 05:46:10 PM »

Not neccisarily. With 3 home games remaining, and with Simoes continued non-selection of key players, this is an attempt to turn things around. There is no way all of 4 kids should have been given debuts in critical world cup qualifying games while seasoned players watch form the sidelines.

In any case, our fortunes are not totally in our hands. We can win all our remaining games and still not make it to the Hex.

Oh shut up!

Qualifying was always and is always in the hands of teams playing.
That is why you win when you have to.

If I recall properly you were singing the pariases of the return of Burrell and Simoes like they wre some new brand of beef patty!

Now you complain that the patty stale.  Just shut up already!

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 05:47:47 PM »
my sentiments exactly  :rotfl:

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 06:01:48 PM »
Theodore Whitmore will take charge of those World Cup games, staying on as Barnes' assistant after.

Anytime Whitmore qualify JA for the HEX it will be an injustice and a travesty for him to be an assistant after.

The selection of barnes is a smokescreen to pacify the public.

It is only fair whitmore gets the job if he passes the exam.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 06:05:22 PM »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 06:36:48 PM »
"He will also be in charge of the final round of World Cup Qualifiers in 2009, should Jamaica advance to this stage of the competition.

BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 07:32:17 PM »
Theodore Whitmore will take charge of those World Cup games, staying on as Barnes' assistant after.

Anytime Whitmore qualify JA for the HEX it will be an injustice and a travesty for him to be an assistant after.

Dont understand why you guys are getting excited (or is it that you are getting worried?). Jamaica has picked up a road point so far, and still have an opportunity to win all 3 remaining home games. Didnt you guys drop 2 home pointx to guatemala the other day? A victory for Guatemala in the next game could effectively put you in a worse situation that which Jamaica finds itself now.  Its not a matter of Ja throwing in the towel, its a matter of the JFF having the balls to take action before its too late.

I like Simoes as a coach, but unfortunately for him, his selectinn policy left alot to be desired.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 08:19:59 AM by reggae-fan »

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 08:02:22 PM »
isn't barnes half trini?  :devil:

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 08:09:09 PM »

Dont understand why you guys are getting excited (or is it that you are getting worried?). Jamaica has picked up a road point so far, and still have an opportunity to win all 3 remaining home games. Didnt you guys drop 2 home pointx to guatemala the other day? A victory for Guatemala in the next game could effectively end your campaign.  Its not a matter of Ja throwing in the towel, its a matter of the JFF having the balls to take action before its too late.

I like Simoes as a coach, but unfortunately for him, his selectinn policy left alot to be desired.

Doh mind dem nah RF, God is Good, and i wish allyuh all the best. Good luck with the next three games since it's look's like ah all central american hex with the US as the only exception! God forbid that should happen. @ least 2 caribbean teams in the hex would be nice.                                  positive.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:27:12 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 09:18:31 PM »
he fadda is ah naturalised Jamaican who was born in TnT
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 09:21:30 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 04:14:27 AM »

Good scene for Whitmore. Regardless of the outcome of WCQ ... this is a good scene for him ... at the end of the day he'll have attained more current/recent WCQ experience than JB.

Whitmore has lots of support in Jamaica to fill this role and I think the "JFF" arrived at this solution in recognition of this ... as well as the fact that any foreign coach coming in wouldn't have a clue about the players. Top to bottom this is the best man to run things from here on in ... thing is, even if he pulls it off, I doubt the Jamaican public would be willing to entrust the Hex to him. Enter any scapegoat here.

Jamaica will be looking for a coach in fairly short order. I doubt JB will be around a year from now.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 05:50:00 AM »

Oh shut up!

Qualifying was always and is always in the hands of teams playing.
That is why you win when you have to.

If I recall properly you were singing the pariases of the return of Burrell and Simoes like they wre some new brand of beef patty!

Now you complain that the patty stale.  Just shut up already!
Different reggae-fan (not Reggaefan). I think. Version 2.0 actually seems polite.

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 05:56:02 AM »
my apologies/

I do hope tht Jamaica makes it, but the other RF.....stinks

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2008, 06:54:42 AM »
I guess Technical Director in Jamaica and Technical Director in Trinidad is two different things...must be the accent cause that.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2008, 08:23:32 AM »

Yes, his dad was born in T&T but abandoned you guys for a better life in Jamaica :)

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2008, 08:25:56 AM »

Good scene for Whitmore. Regardless of the outcome of WCQ ... this is a good scene for him ... at the end of the day he'll have attained more current/recent WCQ experience than JB.

Whitmore has lots of support in Jamaica to fill this role and I think the "JFF" arrived at this solution in recognition of this ... as well as the fact that any foreign coach coming in wouldn't have a clue about the players. Top to bottom this is the best man to run things from here on in ... thing is, even if he pulls it off, I doubt the Jamaican public would be willing to entrust the Hex to him. Enter any scapegoat here.

Jamaica will be looking for a coach in fairly short order. I doubt JB will be around a year from now.

Barnes signed a one year contract. The idea is that he will work with Whitmore during the Hex (if we get there), during the Caribbean cup, and then the gold cup. After that, he will be re-assesed. If we make the Hex and qualify for the Gold cup, then expect Barnes' contract to be extended beyond one year. And 'm convinced that if we make the Hex, we going all the way to SA.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2008, 08:28:55 AM »
Reggae-fan like u gettin on like reggaefan what betta life in JA not even when all yuh $ was higher than d US it was betta than TNT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2008, 08:34:05 AM »
And 'm convinced that if we make the Hex, we going all the way to SA.

1 - You were convinced you would make the Hex too.  Not so sure anymore?

2 - For you to make the Hex, not only would you have to win your next 3 games, but you would have to hope that BOTH Mexico AND Canada beat Honduras in Honduras.  The maximum points you can get is 10.  Honduras already has 6 points with 2 homes games left out of their 3.  If they beat Canada and draw against Mexico in Tegucicalpa, they too will have 10 points and they have a superior goal difference to Jamaica.

Mexico MIGHT beat Honduras in Honduras...but Mexico would all have qualified by then so that eh no certainty.  Canada NOT beatin Honduras nowhere on dis planet.

But keep hope halive bro.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2008, 08:34:32 AM »
Reggae-fan like u gettin on like reggaefan what betta life in JA not even when all yuh $ was higher than d US it was betta than TNT

What the value of the $ have to do with anything? you obviously dont understand economics.

I doubt Barnes would leave T&T for Jamaica to live a sub-standard life. the man left for better opportunities in the Jamaica military.

Now lets get back to football.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2008, 08:39:06 AM »
Yeah real opportunities dat is what d woman did name. I know d man family in TNT ok as 4 knowin economics u eh understand it
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2008, 09:09:05 AM »
I didnt want to get into this, but i seeing some real shit here.  Trinidad is the financial capital of the Caribbean by far.  This is our second oil boom so i dont know what better opportunity allyuh talking about....lol.

anyways, good luck to jamaica for the remainder of the campaign.  But they have thrown in the towel.  If John Barnes was with the side from now, i could understand that, but they already gave up on this campaign. 

Simoes mess allyuh up bad but alyuh shoulda never fire him.  All he did was lose to mex and honduras away and it have no shame in that.  Allyuh position bad because Honduras beat Canada in Canada while allyuh draw.  So u guess to save money de decided to cut their loses.

I really hope that we can beat Guatemala to at least make it one caribbean team in de HEX

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2008, 09:51:35 AM »
And 'm convinced that if we make the Hex, we going all the way to SA.

1 - You were convinced you would make the Hex too.  Not so sure anymore?

2 - For you to make the Hex, not only would you have to win your next 3 games, but you would have to hope that BOTH Mexico AND Canada beat Honduras in Honduras.  The maximum points you can get is 10.  Honduras already has 6 points with 2 homes games left out of their 3.  If they beat Canada and draw against Mexico in Tegucicalpa, they too will have 10 points and they have a superior goal difference to Jamaica.

Mexico MIGHT beat Honduras in Honduras...but Mexico would all have qualified by then so that eh no certainty.  Canada NOT beatin Honduras nowhere on dis planet.

But keep hope halive bro.

Also Mexico has 3 road games and where is the easiest place for them to earn points RF ....!!! 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline judge101

• Full Warrior
  • If it is to be, then it is up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2008, 10:10:29 AM »
man jam and haiti vex meh boy now it lookn like onlyT&T will be in the hex should they beat guatemala they have them central am looking good boy wham to the caribbean
wise men talke because they have something to say,fools talk because they have to say something

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 10:28:27 AM »
Allyuh leave reggae-fan alone nah! Lewwe not get on dese bad vibes dis hour of the day.

As Monkey Genius say, this version actually seems more polite than the other one.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 11:06:54 AM »
Simoes should of not been given the job in the first place.
Jamaica had it hard , a psycho coach, a mirror TTFF and hurricane.

John Barnes as coach ?
No credentials for this level, is like all the calls for Latas to be our coach, pure sentiment and loss of reality.

Ah real sorry for JA but they could continue on the SA journey by supporting TT.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 03:07:17 PM »
Throw in towel? Dats a very good move By Jamaica.. No one like Theodore Whitmore knows the A squad for Jamaica.. trus mi You will see at least 7 new players starting for JA  in there next game . When I say new I meant players like King and de rest who wasdroped to play a bunch of school boys..
Good luck jamaica..
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 04:19:52 PM »
man jam and haiti vex meh boy now it lookn like onlyT&T will be in the hex should they beat guatemala they have them central am looking good boy wham to the caribbean

No excuses. I am totally disappointed in both Haiti and Jamaica, but moreso in Haiti. Jamaica actually only had one really bad game and that was of course in Mexico where they did not show their natural fighting spirit.

But, Haiti? Total meltdown. Haiti's last coaching staff totally messed up the team. The central americans are cruising unchallenged to the hex.

The way I see it, TnT is alone in this fight.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:23:09 PM by Toussaint »
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2008, 04:22:17 PM »
We in d fight but we need a General

1]; } ?>