April 25, 2024, 01:36:22 AM

Author Topic: Ato to coach T & T team  (Read 14257 times)

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ato to coach T & T team
« on: September 18, 2008, 06:19:54 AM »
Hey congrats Ato!! good to hear the news that you will be the man behind the team...
it was announced yesterday that our boy will be coaching the 4 x 100's teams both men & women for the caribbean games next year...
only these games? hopefully it will extend into the next few years and to the London 2012 !!!

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
Re: Ato to coach T & T team
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 07:00:54 AM »
It's not final yet but both sides are optimistic... ;D
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 07:28:18 AM »
Hey congrats Ato!! good to hear the news that you will be the man behind the team...
it was announced yesterday that our boy will be coaching the 4 x 100's teams both men & women for the caribbean games next year...
only these games? hopefully it will extend into the next few years and to the London 2012 !!!

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 07:42:10 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=161377144

LOOKING FOR BOLT
Mark Pouchet

Thursday, September 18th 2008

COMING TO T&T: Usain Bolt

SPORTS fans may catch a glimpse of Jamaican sprint sensation Usain Bolt right here in this country.

The triple Olympic gold medallist, and more of the regional contingent that dominated the track at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, are expected to be among the particpants for the July 13-19 2009 Caribbean Games, to be hosted in Trinidad and Tobago.

Keith Joseph, technical sports consultant for the inaugural Caribbean Games, reported that International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) representative for the area, Jamaican Neville McCook, made the announcement at a Caribbean Association of National Olympic Committees (CANOC) executive meeting back in July that he would deliver Usain Bolt for the Games, which will include five disciplines-track and field, boxing, volleyball, netball and tennis.

"And we are expecting that the governments of the region, who are funding these elite athletes to the tune of tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars every year, will use their leverage to attract them to this event," said Joseph yesterday at a media briefing held by the Local Organising Committee (LOC) for the Caribbean Games at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

For his part, Trinidad and Tobago Olympic silver medallist Richard Thompson, who has been promoting the Games throughout the nation, stated that he is looking forward to battling Bolt again soon with home advantage.

"It would be a pleasure to perform in front of the home crowd...it makes things more interesting," he revealed, "and since our silver-medal winning performance in Beijing, the expectations have gone way up. I would like to say even with Bolt and (Asafa) Powell here next year, our team would be working towards bringing gold home and showcasing the talent we have here in Trinidad and Tobago."

The other major revelation was that T&T's four-time Olympic medallist Ato Boldon would be the national coach of the Trinidad and Tobago Caribbean Games track team.

Boldon, who said that talks with the interested parties including the National Amateur Athletic Association (NAAA) were on-going about extending his coaching services to the top flight T&T track athletes in the build-up to the London 2012 Olympics, disclosed that this was one of his deepest passions.

"I told myself I had three dream jobs I wanted to complete," said Boldon, "one, to become a professional track athlete and that was over when I was 30; two, to share my passion in track and field with the world and I have that through my commentating jobs with NBC and CBS; and, three, was to lead our young men and women track athletes into battle for the next three-four years.

"I am excited at being ambassador for these Games, but I am even more excited of being coach of the men's and women's national team."

CEO of the Caribbean Games Francis William-Smith informed that the LOC was proceeding on schedule with the timelines and would be improving the facilities, including the Hasely Crawford Stadium, the Jean Pierre Complex and the volleyball beach complex at Saith Park, Chaguanas.

Also present at the media conference yesterday was Emmanuel Callender, who was part of the T&T Men's 4x100-metre silver medal-winning relay team in Beijing.
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 03:16:09 PM »
Congrats, Ato.

I hope they do  some work on the facilties. And also not last minute.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 04:06:39 PM »
It's not final yet but both sides are optimistic... ;D
Not sure how I feel about this... I in two minds.  But you all for it, so I guess that's all that matters.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 03:04:30 AM »
I am not sure of the top Jakans participating, due to the proximity to WCs next year. They normally do not do CACs and such when close to Globals.

Perhaps TnT will be twisting arms etc, but its the athlets and their entourage that decides, not the JAAA.

Just putting everyone on notice. Past is prologue as Ato loves to  say.

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 06:40:37 AM »
Gov't unveils plans to build on Beijing success
CMC
Friday, September 19, 2008

KINGSTON, Jamaica (CMC) - Sports Minister Olivia "Babsy" Grange has unveiled a myriad of plans aimed at further strengthening the sports infrastructure here and has called on the private sector to support the venture.

Speaking at the In-ternational Congress on Sports for Peace and Development, Grange identified several projects Government planned to launch, as the country sought to build on their success at the recent Beijing Olympics.

"Some of the big plans for the industry here in Jamaica, include the Caymanas Estate mega-sport development facility, to be undertaken by the Urban Development Corporation; a sport-knowledge Park and Caribbean Hall of Fame, to strengthen Jamaica's leadership position in the growing Caribbean and Latin American sport and cultural industries; the Faculty of Sport, which will emerge from the University of Technology; and the GC Foster College and the Montego Bay Community College axis," Grange explained.

"It is our expectation that the private sector will regard the projection of sport as making good business sense, and join with the Government in the development of this industry.

"And our success in Beijing, in fact, has generated a lot of interest from the private sector, and there are companies now lining up to have their brand identified with the successes."

Jamaica had their most successful Olympics ever at the 29th Olympiad in Beijing when they picked up 11 medals, including six gold.

Their performance was headlined by the heroics of sprinter Usain Bolt who arrested the world's attention by claiming the coveted sprint double en route to three gold medals.

Grange said studies indicated that in 2005, sports accounted for approximately 2.6 per cent of Jamaica's Gross Domestic Product and guaranteed approximately 2.2 per cent of jobs.
"Employment in this sector is of the order of 22,474 persons and wage contributions exceed $4.3 billion," Grange said.

"Many millions of dollars are also spent on sports sponsorship and advertising. Sports generate substantial revenues to government and provide more through indirect taxes."

Grange pointed out that the country's elite athletes generated as much as US$44.5 million of direct foreign exchange earnings annually, noting this was a pre-Olympics estimate.
"The successes there will of course have boosted the earning potential considerably," she noted.

Grange, who attended the recent Olympics, said her Ministry was in the process of developing a dynamic and effective sport policy for Jamaica and hoped to collaborate with their CARICOM partners, to "come up with a policy and a direction that will drive the development of sports in the Caribbean."

"We believe that sports has the potential to be one of Jamaica's leading industries, and this is the potential that we want to exploit," she asserted.

"The National Sports Industry policy, which we are formulating, seeks to position local sport to become a part of the international sport industry. The aim is that sport should represent 5.4 per cent of GDP by 2030."

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 01:11:10 PM »
Jamaica, after unprecedented success, is doing more....we must do more as well....
BORN TO DO IT

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 01:44:32 PM »
Jamaica, after unprecedented success, is doing more....we must do more as well....
make it happen bredda.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2008, 07:05:47 AM »
Well, Ato has been there, but for the rest...here is the OLY success foundation...CHAMPS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qS8mi3wL_w&feature=user

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 02:36:26 PM »
We almost ready....

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 02:38:11 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 02:49:52 PM »
nice...but where is this?  ???your new coaching grounds? Florida?
details man..details ;D

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 03:04:02 PM »
That is the home of Born2DoIt which will coach/mentor kids of all ages and abilities in track, and the USA base of the TNT relay teams, and likely home to others from TNT and other islands who are currently in talks to come. That is Miramar, FLORIDA
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 03:06:20 PM by A.B. »
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 03:31:30 PM »
That is niceness.

We muss link next time ah come thru  :beermug:

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 03:42:22 PM »
BY the time u reach we done up and running arredi....who have money to give to a non profit I taking all $
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 05:32:05 PM »
That is the home of Born2DoIt which will coach/mentor kids of all ages and abilities in track, and the USA base of the TNT relay teams, and likely home to others from TNT and other islands who are currently in talks to come. That is Miramar, FLORIDA

Wit de amount ah dust it have, yuh sure is not Bahrain?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 06:00:57 PM »
We almost ready....

Looking like it is a real nice facility
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Aviator

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 08:15:05 PM »

Is there a website for this organization? Has the government of T&T put any money into this facility? Or is it private with the Gov. putting money into this program at a date in the near future?

I must say it looking real good. :beermug:
Psalm 14:1
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 09:59:02 PM »
BY the time u reach we done up and running arredi....who have money to give to a non profit I taking all $

Oh god ah know... yuh pardna done beating mih up on dat arready, but allyuh know wha'iz my scenes... dey have mih on lock down here.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 11:24:07 PM »
Gov't has nothing to do with this particular facility....that part is my contribution but the TnT part of it is up to them...lots of other stuff going on on my end whether or not they come on board.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2008, 10:07:52 AM »
Ato facilities lookin rel good..I see progress is being made...I hope Govt comes on board and does their part regarding T&T..

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2008, 02:36:47 PM »
The Gov't should contribute. I've had enough of hoping its time for them to stop talking and start acting man! If dey don't we will get nowhere. But i wish u de best Ato in your future as a coach do us proud.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 02:24:04 AM »
Looking good Ato.

Just make sure that the background training done on the grassy infield!!!

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 04:55:03 AM »
we go open it with ah sweat

it looking like it have place to sleep too so we go organise ah big lime ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 06:04:32 AM »
hey Ato,
non profit? how is that gonna work? surely people must pay for the use of the facilities..

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 06:28:30 AM »
I bet that Born2DoIt will be leasing that facilty from Miramar
Born2DoIt is a non profit organisation is my guess
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 08:10:16 AM »
The non profit is to benefit kids who are at the camps/clinics with a view to getting them track scholarships etc. The other stuff is separate...
BORN TO DO IT

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2008, 06:45:51 PM »
The Gov't should contribute. I've had enough of hoping its time for them to stop talking and start acting man! If dey don't we will get nowhere. But i wish u de best Ato in your future as a coach do us proud.

Why must the govt contribute to a facility in Florida run privately ???

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 07:12:35 PM »

Why must the govt contribute to a facility in Florida run privately ???
Ato tell dem that Born2doit will lease that facilty and does not own it (I guess that is the deal, right)
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>