April 29, 2024, 12:55:34 AM

Author Topic: Ever wonder why they eh have any black or Afro-Argentine ballers?  (Read 79854 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ever wonder why they eh have any black or Afro-Argentine ballers?
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2008, 08:38:48 AM »
Maria Lamadrid, an Afro-Argentine, vividly recalls the day when her country's immigration authorities prevented her from boarding a plane for Panama, demanding she present them with a "real passport."

this is her i think
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2008, 09:45:35 AM »
Argentina is one of the most racist countries in the world most of the population clam to be white in there country censes even is their mix race they still don’t clam black its not a good place for black anyway why you think they don’t get along with Brazilians plus all the Nazi and Italians from world war 2 escape to Argentina hence there racism

ditto

it have more blondes in argentina than in sweden

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 01, 2008, 10:30:59 AM »
Maria Lamadrid, an Afro-Argentine, vividly recalls the day when her country's immigration authorities prevented her from boarding a plane for Panama, demanding she present them with a "real passport."

this is her i think

She look like Maturana....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »
Argentina is one of the most racist countries in the world most of the population clam to be white in there country censes even is their mix race they still don’t clam black its not a good place for black anyway why you think they don’t get along with Brazilians plus all the Nazi and Italians from world war 2 escape to Argentina hence there racism

ditto

we should be careful not to make wildly ignorant statements.

lots of jews also escaped to Argentina and not all the Germans and Italians who moved there were Nazis or Fascists. Natural blondes are pretty rare and are considered exotic in Argentina. They just seem to have more blonds than their South American neighbors

Lots of Germans moved to Brazil and other parts of South America too. Some southern cities in Brazil you are just as likely to hear German as you are to hear Poruguese. Brazil's women's team had a keeper called Maravilhosa who said she didn't learn POrtuguese until she went to school. Up to that point she thought everyone in Brazil spoke German. There are so many Germans in Brazil that the word commonly used to describe 'blonde' is 'Alemao' or German. That's how the footballer of the 80s got his knickname..from his blond hair. Taffarel and Dunga have gone on record speakign of their pride in their German roots. Doh mean their parents or grandparents were Nazis..but the point is..Italians and Germans of all types moved all over SA.

Much of the criticism of Argentina is just...but some things said kinda off the charts

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2008, 10:53:52 AM »
I want to categorically disagree with On de Block and Najee and Sando Prince is spot on in his statement.  It's so easy to use the discrimination cop out. I refer to my earlier post in this thread. If more indians or chinese or whoever actually dedicated the time and effort to pursue football as a career you would see more 'diversity' in professional and national teams. At every level of organised football (down to minor league) in T&T you will find that overwhelming majority of players are black. I don't think that fact means there is discrimination in football.

Jah Gol,

your point is not incorrect. However, the reality is that there is (an anti black) black discrimination. It DOES exist. I have spoken to players who experienced this at national youth and senior level, from both Coaches and fellow players.

JG, I am not saying your point is invalid. However, if like me you had met palyers who experienced this, you might change your tune. It also might be a contributing factor as to why so many of them make the books rather than the ball a priority.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2008, 11:14:58 AM »
I want to categorically disagree with On de Block and Najee and Sando Prince is spot on in his statement.  It's so easy to use the discrimination cop out. I refer to my earlier post in this thread. If more indians or chinese or whoever actually dedicated the time and effort to pursue football as a career you would see more 'diversity' in professional and national teams. At every level of organised football (down to minor league) in T&T you will find that overwhelming majority of players are black. I don't think that fact means there is discrimination in football.

Jah Gol,

your point is not incorrect. However, the reality is that there is (an anti black) black discrimination. It DOES exist. I have spoken to players who experienced this at national youth and senior level, from both Coaches and fellow players.

JG, I am not saying your point is invalid. However, if like me you had met palyers who experienced this, you might change your tune. It also might be a contributing factor as to why so many of them make the books rather than the ball a priority.

VB

the same happened to talented white players on our youth teams, not so much now. pretty much after the 70's before it wasn't an issue, my grandfather played for club and country in the 50's and the team was mixed, but i have heard from players back in the 80's who got kicked up in national training and told by others players they not wanted, so its usually where there is a minority that gets the "abuse" or "omission"

plus isn't dwarika "dougla"? what about brent rahim? bobby sookram?

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2008, 11:18:19 AM »

ditto

lots of jews also escaped to Argentina and not all the Germans and Italians who moved there were Nazis or Fascists. Natural blondes are pretty rare and are considered exotic in Argentina. They just seem to have more blonds than their South American neighbors

Lots of Germans moved to Brazil and other parts of South America too. Some southern cities in Brazil you are just as likely to hear German as you are to hear Poruguese. Brazil's women's team had a keeper called Maravilhosa who said she didn't learn POrtuguese until she went to school. Up to that point she thought everyone in Brazil spoke German. There are so many Germans in Brazil that the word commonly used to describe 'blonde' is 'Alemao' or German. That's how the footballer of the 80s got his knickname..from his blond hair. Taffarel and Dunga have gone on record speakign of their pride in their German roots. Doh mean their parents or grandparents were Nazis..but the point is..Italians and Germans of all types moved all over SA.

Much of the criticism of Argentina is just...but some things said kinda off the charts

flame starter, i should have quoted it in coloquial accent, aka shit talk. so do us a favor go research every argentine team from present to conception and verify ethnic authenticity then you can pontificate ok
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:23:33 AM by GunnerStunner »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2008, 11:24:15 AM »

Jah Gol,

VB

the same happened to talented white players on our youth teams, not so much now. pretty much after the 70's before it wasn't an issue, my grandfather played for club and country in the 50's and the team was mixed, but i have heard from players back in the 80's who got kicked up in national training and told by others players they not wanted, so its usually where there is a minority that gets the "abuse" or "omission"

plus isn't dwarika "dougla"? what about brent rahim? bobby sookram?

Stunner, I don't know what your point really is. Yes there is discrimination, but the fact that a few 'doglahs' and Indians make the team, does not mitigate the fact.

The WI cricket team played blacks from the 1920s onwards but there was shameless racism probably until the 60s. So the fact that there were blacks there does not mitigate this. Likewise the the England football team of the 70s and 80s.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2008, 11:34:24 AM »

ditto

Yep ... pretty much. Alemaos abound.

RE: the Nazi thing ... Who knows? Maybe it means the parents or grandparents were sympathisers :devil: ... Ah kicksing of course, but of course dahis more than a remote reality. Nevertheless, a lot of German migration to South America occurred BEFORE Hitler even surfaced ... b/c much took place before 1900 ... not to mention that German-speaking Jews were a component of the move to Argentina and other nations on the continent.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2008, 12:09:59 PM »
flame starter, i should have quoted it in coloquial accent, aka shit talk. so do us a favor go research every argentine team from present to conception and verify ethnic authenticity then you can pontificate ok

Maybe you should quote this in the vernacular and call it "shit talk" as well.  Don't undo the positive contributions you've made to the thread thus far with nonsense statements like this.  Filho's point is well worth noting.

Separately, I agree with your earlier post about the experience of the white players.  I can't speak from experience and I know of none who've experienced it, but from kicking ball with talented 'syrian' and 'Trini white' bredrins I can say that the lack of visibility on the national team certainly raises the spectre of discrimination.  Hopefully yutes like Justin Fogo can help change that.

Vb I also agree with your post regarding the experiences of the men you said you spoke with... no one can deny the hand of discrimination.  Had you said that from the beginning then I suspect we never would have had any disagreement.  Racism is a horse of an entirely different color... no pun intended.

Filho... good post pardna, I know the Spanish word for German is 'Aleman'...but never made the connection to the Portuguese 'Alemao'... now I understand why the 80s footballer got his moniker.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 01, 2008, 12:20:42 PM »
Barataria...the article may say he black ...but you , I and some other on this topic know they not going to claim , say or think they are..if they are...you talking about Argentinian ...they don't like black people down there in Argentina...I as a Trinibagoian would like to see more white, spanish, chinese and Indian...good ball players to waren call up to national level...and by the way iam 100% black

I too will like to see more Trinbagonians of other races featured in our national team..we are a diverse country and  I would like to see some of that diversity on the field but its sad that white, spanish, chinese and Indian Trinis dont get involved in football as much as blacks therefore there are not much footballers from these races to choose from ....you see first we have to start from the schools and more indo trini students at schools choose cricket over football..and when its time for football screening when school done, yuh only see mostly black students trying to make the team..so from the grass roots lies the problem...maybe that will change in the future

*Going ah lil further with this*.Ah mean to say man ...look at the Iranian national team! Look at the South Korean national team!..they have done very well at the international level..so when it comes to football you dont have to be black or white to produce...

and what makes you think whites, indians and chinese dont play football in trinidad? There are large numbers that do play football throughout the country, its a matter of selection and sterotype that keeps many off national teams and club football.

Now since you called me out, I want you to quote or even highlight where i said these races DONT play football in trinidad...my response was based on the issue that we do not currently have a significant number of players with these races in T&T to choose from..and i give my opinion on why I think we currenty have this issue
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 12:24:12 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 01, 2008, 12:31:52 PM »

ditto

where did I challenge anyone's ideas about the ethnic composition of the Argentines in that post? Steeups. i was mainly challenging the idea that Argentina had some kinda monopoly in SA on German and Italian migration circa WWII. And that racism in Argentina is down to that migration. That was just an ignorant post and you happened to agree. I know you doh feel Argentina have more blondes than Sweden hoss..but the point you were making is that they have plenty and it's down to the German immigration. I basically address that with one sentence which wasn't no scene so I doh know what the fuss is.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 12:34:27 PM by Filho »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2008, 12:34:42 PM »
okay ... here are my questions ... is the discriminatory element in football such that it has cast a chilling effect upon the local game ... to the point where the participation rates of the (putatively) affected groups have declined to relatively few involved ... OR ... were the rates low to begin with and did the low rates of participation precede the perception of discrimination (whether actual, tangible or imagined)?

These questions are KEY to assessing the character of race in our football environment.

+++

Moving on ... this books v ball thing is a false dichotomy ... as if one group has a monopoly on one of the two 'considerations' ... moreover, not only is the environment of the schoolyard distinct from the environment of the school's representative eleven ... it (the schoolyard) is also indistinct from the multiple opportunities available for spontaneous play on random streets, alleys, and grassed or denuded patches all over the island outside of the ambit of school ... the sport is available as 'playing democracy' in widespread form ...

[yet, de island has 'exclusive sweats' here and there ... some based on the pillar of socio-economic distinctions ... some based on race (although someone is sure to want to identify an affirmative action sweater :) ... de point is de men sweating dey largely of one persuasion and not de other ...]

Always quick so we're keen to arrive at comparing meritocracies of playing or studying and the implied relative success we think tells us "something" about the groups ... dahis an attractive distractor, but not a sophisticated one ...

+++

Moving on ... Jah Gol's comments bear credence ... and not a little bit ... now to say that DOES NOT not discount vb's anecdotal evidence ... but are we going to indict the "system" based on experiences that are hardly the product of institutionalised policy (OBVIOUSLY, for one, the mere presence of the affected groups at national call-ups etc. is suggestive of a reality pointing AWAY from institutional bias) ... and absent a groundswell of protest or independent action by the powers that be ... the status quo is unlikely to change

Moving on ... what's to be done ... nah lehme save that fuh last ...

We're only having this discussion because of the grandeur and scale of football as a going concern and NATIONAL pastime ... when we ready to engage the forces of democratisation to apply to other sporting activity in the island ... wherever there is a corollary of (at least) perceived institutional bias ... give me a blasted call.

What's to be done fuh football ... grassroots work ... nothing novel, nothing fancy ... FIFA has tonnes of similar projects all across de world ... it's clear the game has to expand in certain sectors because I am not convinced that we have busted the seams in tapping local talent or in maximising development ... that said, we live in a POST-COLONIAL society (btw, I accept the relevance of the grammar school here and how the 'college tie" was then influential) and it is this (the post-colonial society) that has created "priorities" moreso than the dubious rationalization of monopolies and choice selection and comparative advantages we impute to the races. Furthermore, it's not like books and ball are mutually exclusive or ordered by race.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 12:36:14 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 01, 2008, 12:56:47 PM »
i've been around the fringes of the local cricket and football fraternities sufficiently to say that the discrimination and insularity that goes on in football pales in comparison to what used to take place in cricket..

and objectively speaking what made it so much worse in cricket was that it wasn't even a minority group that was being discriminated against given that the interest in cricket is evenly distributed.

anyway, i must have been around the wrong sweats and getting blank from the wrong teams because from what I saw for the most part, if yuh exceptional yuh would sweat regardless.. Of course now you had the coaches like Look Loy, Corneal etc who would have their players pre-selected before screening which is a different kinda bias but to say that i saw discrimination based on race when a player was ahead of the game.. cant say i have..

vb, any more info u could provide on your sources?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 01, 2008, 12:57:53 PM »
1) okay ... here are my questions ... is the discriminatory element in football such that it has cast a chilling effect upon the local game ... to the point where the participation rates of the (putatively) affected groups have declined to relatively few involved ... OR ... were the rates low to begin with and did the low rates of participation precede the perception of discrimination (whether actual, tangible or imagined)?

These questions are KEY to assessing the character of race in our football environment.

+++

2) Moving on ... this books v ball thing is a false dichotomy ... as if one group has a monopoly on one of the two 'considerations' ... moreover, not only is the environment of the schoolyard distinct from the environment of the school's representative eleven ... it (the schoolyard) is also indistinct from the multiple opportunities available for spontaneous play on random streets, alleys, and grassed or denuded patches all over the island outside of the ambit of school ... the sport is available as 'playing democracy' in widespread form ...

[yet, de island has 'exclusive sweats' here and there ... some based on the pillar of socio-economic distinctions ... some based on race (although someone is sure to want to identify an affirmative action sweater :) ... de point is de men sweating dey largely of one persuasion and not de other ...]

Always quick so we're keen to arrive at comparing meritocracies of playing or studying and the implied relative success we think tells us "something" about the groups ... dahis an attractive distractor, but not a sophisticated one ...

+++

3) Moving on ... Jah Gol's comments bear credence ... and not a little bit ... now to say that DOES NOT not discount vb's anecdotal evidence ... but are we going to indict the "system" based on experiences that are hardly the product of institutionalised policy (OBVIOUSLY, for one, the mere presence of the affected groups at national call-ups etc. is suggestive of a reality pointing AWAY from institutional bias) ... and absent a groundswell of protest or independent action by the powers that be ... the status quo is unlikely to change

Moving on ... what's to be done ... nah lehme save that fuh last ...

We're only having this discussion because of the grandeur and scale of football as a going concern and NATIONAL pastime ... when we ready to engage the forces of democratisation to apply to other sporting activity in the island ... wherever there is a corollary of (at least) perceived institutional bias ... give me a blasted call.

What's to be done fuh football ... grassroots work ... nothing novel, nothing fancy ... FIFA has tonnes of similar projects all across de world ... it's clear the game has to expand in certain sectors because I am not convinced that we have busted the seams in tapping local talent or in maximising development ... that said, we live in a POST-COLONIAL society (btw, I accept the relevance of the grammar school here and how the 'college tie" was then influential) and it is this (the post-colonial society) that has created "priorities" moreso than the dubious rationalization of monopolies and choice selection and comparative advantages we impute to the races. Furthermore, it's not like books and ball are mutually exclusive or ordered by race.

Rich post.

With regards to

1) My guess is that with regards to this 'chicken or the egg' argument... the paucity of participant numbers was the precursor and that this number was subsequently depressed, for any number of reasons, included but not limited to discrimination.  Just a guess... I have nothing to substantiate it other than anecdotal experience.

2) Agreed... it's a bit simplistic to suggest that Indians were denied opportunity to kick ball therefore they focused more on books.  One would think that the kicking ball thing was always/already ancillary in their mind, as it is in the minds of most (guess) in TnT.  Books is no one's 'fall back' plan.

3) This has been my point throughout... without discounting the individualized experiences recounted to vb... this by no means should be elevated as proof of some existent "institutionalized" or systematic effort... sufficient to call it 'racism'.

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2008, 02:37:12 PM »

ditto

Filho...my brazilian friend told me in Brazil...there is a Jewish community so ah guess not only German lived there and ah was asking meh colombia friend about black in colombia my question was the black in colombia mirgra from Brazil...he told me no...there is a black community in colombia alway been.... but I was totally surprise went i saw ah black playing for Uruguay during a WCQ game...he even sore a goal...lift his shirt after soring...there was Bob Marley on his front t-shirt....then sometime after I was watching on fifa mundial that they were talking about a black player from Uruguay..way back then he played...ah guess he was real good..they talked about him and the neighborhood he from...i didn't know Uruguay had a black neighborhood...how narrow minded i was

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2008, 02:47:52 PM »
Filho...my brazilian friend told me in Brazil...there is a Jewish community so ah guess not only German lived there and ah was asking meh colombia friend about black in colombia my question was the black in colombia mirgra from Brazil...he told me no...there is a black community in colombia alway been.... but I was totally surprise went i saw ah black playing for Uruguay during a WCQ game...he even sore a goal...lift his shirt after soring...there was Bob Marley on his front t-shirt....then sometime after I was watching on fifa mundial that they were talking about a black player from Uruguay..way back then he played...ah guess he was real good..they talked about him and the neighborhood he from...i didn't know Uruguay had a black neighborhood...how narrow minded i was

???

Najee..In Brazil there are many Jewish communities. And some of the Jews happen to be German as well (or of German heritage). I have no idea why yuh feel I was saying there was only non-Jewish German migration to Brazil. The point I was making was that there was German migration to other parts of SA besides Argentina and substantial German communities also existed in Brazil. And it wasn't all associated with WWII..goes back long before that and continued well after.

Uruguay hasn't had many but they've had black players back to the 50s and maybe even before. Some of the greatest Uruguayan players have been black. In recent years they've had black players like Napoli (ex-juventus) player Zalayeta and Morales, or mixed (with African) race players like Diogo, Varela, Reguiero and Dario Silva.

Since I've been watching football Uruguay has usually had one or two black players (mostly mixed race) in the lineup..sometimes more. Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 02:50:55 PM by Filho »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 01, 2008, 03:57:05 PM »
Uruguay is the first nation to play black players on a national squad ... and that's decades before any a dem players Filho call dey ... the first nation! 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 03:58:47 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 01, 2008, 05:15:01 PM »
At one time Uraguay was part of Argentina. They are across the River Plate. The Uraguayans always felt marginalized so they decided to go it alone. Montevideo is a port city and they brought slave thru there. That is why Uraguay has quite a few blacks in their population. I don't know what the treatment of blacks was and is at the moment. But it appears to be different than the Argentinians. I am not saying there was a "one love" situation but it appears discrimination in Uraguay was less harsh than accross the Boca.

The Uraguayans are not scared to claim their Afro heritage. At some of the football games, one can hear some samba rythms. I have heard it before.They big into Candomble and Carnival and African drumming.

For some reason for a small nation Uraguay has produced world class players for a very long time. I guess because they have to compete with Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay, they have always come up with a way to stay on level terms with the big three. The first Black super star baller in the world was a guy called Andrade. He played for them in the Olimpics. I think they won 2 consecutive Olimpics, so they were the de facto World champions. Then they won the first WC at home. I think Andrade nephew played on the Uraguay team that shock Brazil in 58.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2008, 05:33:46 PM »
But didn't Richard Morales claim that he often got arrested because he's black? (although many reporters think the dude is a real troublemaker in uruguay  ;D).
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2008, 06:30:17 PM »
At one time Uraguay was part of Argentina. They are across the River Plate. The Uraguayans always felt marginalized so they decided to go it alone. Montevideo is a port city and they brought slave thru there. That is why Uraguay has quite a few blacks in their population. I don't know what the treatment of blacks was and is at the moment. But it appears to be different than the Argentinians. I am not saying there was a "one love" situation but it appears discrimination in Uraguay was less harsh than accross the Boca.

The Uraguayans are not scared to claim their Afro heritage. At some of the football games, one can hear some samba rythms. I have heard it before.They big into Candomble and Carnival and African drumming.

For some reason for a small nation Uraguay has produced world class players for a very long time. I guess because they have to compete with Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay, they have always come up with a way to stay on level terms with the big three. The first Black super star baller in the world was a guy called Andrade. He played for them in the Olimpics. I think they won 2 consecutive Olimpics, so they were the de facto World champions. Then they won the first WC at home. I think Andrade nephew played on the Uraguay team that shock Brazil in 58.

'50
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 01, 2008, 07:01:26 PM »
 They need to try this in argentina   -- AfroColombian Census
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY4uf49dMqg

Miss Colombia 2005 - Miss Choco 2005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRQ7B0zYV-k&feature=related
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2009, 10:38:46 PM »
You could ask the same question of Mexico for example.

Matter of fact, yuh could count de number of black players playin in Mexico league on 1 hand.

Always struck me as kinda strange.

The number of black players represented in the primera and lower divisions is improving (but I can't say it's a function of race) ... if we're talking Mexicans, that's truly something else, but Mexican futbol collectively features more than a handful of black Colombians, Brazilians and others.

Some of these players are "franchise" type players. For instance, Cristian Benitez of Ecuador (Santos Laguna) and Hugo Rodallega of Colombia (Necaxa). Benitez has excelled. Rodallega is less consistent but is in that category nonetheless.

Now, in terms of legacy ... way back in the day a baller like Francois Omam-Biyik (author of the goal that saw Cameroon defeat Argentina at the 1990 World Cup) played in Mexico for Cuauhtemoc Blanco's former club - America.

On top of that today yuh have other players like Felipe Baloy from Panama.

+++

Lehme also add ... We're quick to rush Argentina in terms of race relations (and ah understand the temptation), buh if we take the valid question Palos asked about Mexico and turn the microscope on Argentina's club ball ... in fairness, we also hadda admit that several black ballers play in the Argentine league ranks.  Wanchope had a stint there with Rosario Central. And, River and Boca and other clubs have looked at black players periodically without regard to race.

Well, Palos since this post Rodallega has moved on to the EPL ... buh de real reason I draw this thread again is because of Carlos Darwin Quintero (Santos Laguna) ... anybody ketch him in action versus Atlante in de CONCACAF Champions League? Mercy!!!

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 28, 2009, 04:48:46 PM »
Just noticed him tonight playing for Sampdoria -- could Fernando Tissone actually be a black Argentine baller?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernando_Tissone

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 29, 2009, 12:22:01 PM »
Maybe just another 'dark' Italian from the tip of the boot?

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 30, 2009, 05:21:14 AM »

He was born and raised in Argentina. And his Italian ancestry is pretty distant -- one great-grandfather, who was actually from the north of Italy.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 01, 2009, 10:41:47 AM »

He was born and raised in Argentina. And his Italian ancestry is pretty distant -- one great-grandfather, who was actually from the north of Italy.

It's just that...Argentina is Italy's descendants...we all know how Italy feels about "outsiders."

Veron is the closest they go get.

Iz a bunch ah racist there that play some nice football
whey boy!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 01, 2009, 11:22:38 AM »
I does more wonder why, we have developed a penchant for killing WEself, and others, like it have too much of WE for this world...cyah be, we football pool too big, or we government all that bad....maybe we need somebody else to start killing us, before we start taking care of each other...Discipline, [Production, Tolerence..
no more RWB, just RED.....funny how we could solve/analyze so much of everyone issues doh...maybe we to bright for we lil piece ah dirt

From today's express

"His killing has pushed the murder toll to 464, according to an Express tally."
"The country’s road fatality figure now stands at 182 for the year."

:'(...sorry, doh mean to hijack the thread, just ah lil down today

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 01, 2009, 05:33:48 PM »
It's just that...Argentina is Italy's descendants...we all know how Italy feels about "outsiders."

Veron is the closest they go get.

Iz a bunch ah racist there that play some nice football

Argentina isn't "Italy's descendants"... there are people from all over Europe in Argentina, including Italians.

Even so, not all Italians are unwelcoming to outsiders... speaking from my limited experience.

1]; } ?>