April 17, 2024, 11:49:39 PM

Author Topic: Leonson Lewis Thread  (Read 20373 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Leonson Lewis Thread
« on: September 20, 2008, 08:47:37 AM »
Leonson Lewis.  Was he really that good?

I see men real ratin up Leonson Lewis.  Some people ratin him as one of the best footballers to never play in a World Cup and ting.

Now I know nostalgia is a powerful ting and we does all fall under it's spell at times.  But I jes wondering if Leo was as good as is being portrayed.  I doh see de same accolades fuh Jerren Nixon fuh example who achieved a lot more in his club career and they were pretty much contemporaries.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 02:48:30 AM by Flex »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Leonson Lewis. Was he really that good?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 09:42:40 AM »
yeah he was really that good... A natural born winger turned striker who was probably the best finisher T&T had seen before Stern. 

Yorke (though he underperformed for T&T for a long time), Latas Leo... In their prime they were a notch ahead of their T&T teammates.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 09:48:19 AM »
Doh know if he WAS really that good, ah know he COULD have been really really good. Best combination of athletic ability and skill ah see on that left side. Not sure about de mental side of it though
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 09:51:58 AM »
yeah he was really that good... A natural born winger turned striker who was probably the best finisher T&T had seen before Stern. 
natural born goalkeeper turned winger turned striker
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 09:54:37 AM »

Huh?

No Steve David?  ???

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2008, 10:01:53 AM »
yea palos...he was that good... ask anyone in Coimbra and  Boavista, and
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 10:06:54 AM »
yea palos...he was that good... ask anyone in Coimbra and  Boavista, and

If Leo was THAT good, how come he didn't go to a top club like Porto for example?  The vast majority of his professional career was spent in the Portugese Second Division no?  No disrespeck but the Portugese Second Division is about equivalent in quality if not lesser dan de Scottish 1st Division.

Offline look at ting now!

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 10:10:35 AM »
Leonson was as good as rated. Look I saw Leonson in a build up game to the 1990 WC playing against a South American team,  think it was Paraguay {I stand corrected} and from where I was in the covered stands he started from the half line cutting in towards the goal and beat five men in the process. He leave them in they boots wondering what happen. Then the most beautiful left foot in the history of T&T football took the keeper the wrong way...boom GOAL!!!!! I saw him against an English team, whoever that was, and in the box he collected facing the bleachers, turned and let loose a left foot up in the jepp nest. School football, the man was just too good on the left. A perfect choice for T&T football in his day. And that is only some recollections of his talent.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 10:17:59 AM »
palos...he spend one more yr in de second division that Latas...they were both at academica...check this...Marcelle got to the 1st division before Latas and leo...is Marcelle better than latas then ???

He was the top scorer for Boavista and also top foreign scorer for a season..
remember in dem days it had the foreign player quota in the UK...so it was real tough for them fellas...notice hw long it took for Latas to make it to the UK...
watch meh...if all dem boys now playing in the UK....even jamaican shithongs..Leo woulda been tops...and plenty others too
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 10:22:08 AM »
I saw him against an English team, whoever that was, and in the box he collected facing the bleachers, turned and let loose a left foot up in the jepp nest.

dat was the game against crystal palace.  I think that was right after Palace had loss to Man U in an FA cup final.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »
I saw him against an English team, whoever that was, and in the box he collected facing the bleachers, turned and let loose a left foot up in the jepp nest.

dat was the game against crystal palace.  I think that was right after Palace had loss to Man U in an FA cup final.

I was at that match.  That was also a fete match for Crystal Palace.  Leh we keep tings in proper perspective.  The goal he scored that I remembered in that game that was most impressive to me is one with his back turned and hook over he shoulder into de net.  Special.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 10:25:02 AM by palos »

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 10:23:49 AM »
Leonson Lewis did not have good agents.  At one point many big clubs were interested in him but the deals fell through due the agents actions. The man score a beaver trick (4) against crystal palace when they were big in the EPL.   Dishonest scheeming agents = no big contract......to answer your question palos

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 10:25:44 AM »
Leonson Lewis did not have good agents.  At one point many big clubs were interested in him but the deals fell through due the agents actions. The man score a beaver trick (4) against crystal palace when they were big in the EPL.   Dishonest scheeming agents = no big contract......to answer your question palos

Beaver trick yes.  Fete match also yes.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 10:44:55 AM »

Beaver trick yes.  Fete match also yes.
[/quote]

Fete match?       Fact: no   Your opinion: yes

Tri 4  Palace 0?   Fact: yes   my opinion: no

the fact is that leonson score 4 goals vs an inform crystal palace

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 11:03:37 AM »
It eh have no nostalgia bout Leonson ....the man was a demon spawn......In comparison to Nixon personally Nixon is more skilful.....both at top speed I'm not sure because both of them was extremely quick and I mean realll toes ...men does talk about Carlos being quick compared to leo he is a joke .......Leo was definitely more athletic than Nixon and stronger ...the man used to come to benedicts practice and sweat with us and when leo just in his shorts alone ...men stunned the man cut as hell with little or no body fat and things like bicycle kicks scissors kicks diving headers stuff like that he all up for that........on a through ball it make no sense chasing him...its a lost cause.....to me he isnt as clinical as he could have been but his presence always created space for others because his pace had to be respected  very dangerous player........I remember seeing a game when he played with boavista vs porto and his team lost 5-2 ... he scored both goals and was literally walking through porto defense they had no answer for him ...........too strong too fast and too determined....I always say with no disrespect to Gally if the strike squad had a Leo beenhakker...we'd have qualified with a game to spare.....Palos as for the fete match with Crystal Palace they played the national team two games and I went to both games...firstly the goal of no fete match is to lose 4-0 especially if the man score all 4 goals secondly if it was a fete match then someone didnt tell Ian Wright because he was running Trinidad defense ragged  the previous game was drawn 2-2 it wasnt no fete match...leo scored one of the two goals ...Ive seen leo play alot and in a different time he would have had a bigger impact ...that was pace and athleticism that money couldnt buy.... I even here some Yardie rate him up when he and latas played for a jamaican team name Port Morant and yuh know them doh like giving trinis props ........overrated ....Helll No!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 11:09:06 AM »
It eh have no nostalgia bout Leonson ....the man was a demon spawn......In comparison to Nixon personally Nixon is more skilful.....both at top speed I'm not sure because both of them was extremely quick and I mean realll toes ...men does talk about Carlos being quick compared to leo he is a joke .......Leo was definitely more athletic than Nixon and stronger ...the man used to come to benedicts practice and sweat with us and when leo just in his shorts alone ...men stunned the man cut as hell with little or no body fat and things like bicycle kicks scissors kicks diving headers stuff like that he all up for that........on a through ball it make no sense chasing him...its a lost cause.....to me he isnt as clinical as he could have been but his presence always created space for others because his pace had to be respected  very dangerous player........I remember seeing a game when he played with boavista vs porto and his team lost 5-2 ... he scored both goals and was literally walking through porto defense they had no answer for him ...........too strong too fast and too determined....I always say with no disrespect to Gally if the strike squad had a Leo beenhakker...we'd have qualified with a game to spare.....Palos as for the fete match with Crystal Palace they played the national team two games and I went to both games...firstly the goal of no fete match is to lose 4-0 especially if the man score all 4 goals secondly if it was a fete match then someone didnt tell Ian Wright because he was running Trinidad defense ragged  the previous game was drawn 2-2 it wasnt no fete match...leo scored one of the two goals ...Ive seen leo play alot and in a different time he would have had a bigger impact ...that was pace and athleticism that money couldnt buy.... I even here some Yardie rate him up when he and latas played for a jamaican team name Port Morant and yuh know them doh like giving trinis props ........overrated ....Helll No!

Looks like all dem coaches at dem european & british top clubs must be have no eye fuh talent den.  Big up Leo.  Case is proven without a shadow of a doubt.  He score a beaver trick against Crystal Palace.  Dat seals it. 

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2008, 11:18:53 AM »
yep..he was really that good.

when the portuguese came to scout Latas in Jamaica, they said they'd take him only if they could get the #11. They were that impressed by him, that Latas move to Portugal at the time hinged on Leo going..as told by Leo in an interview. By the way, Leo in the same interview said he ddin't see himself in the same class as Latas..so lewwe set that record straight before man get tie up wit what I saying.

doh matter if you think the game against CPalace was a fete match. Real ballers get transfers to leagues after roughing up a club in a friendly. Plus they wanted him and his agent asked for way too much money. CPalace was a decent side then as well. wasn't the only time his agent kill a move to a higher league. Leo had to eventually fire the man.

Leo was top foreign scorer in Portuguese first division one season and the best striker for T&T in my lifetime.

If you never see the man play in his prime..nobody could convince you. BUt doh try and rate him by level of success he achieved abroad. De man is a Trini who had a shite agent who he eventually had to fire,and he was relatively old for team's to take a risk on when he started to come into his own as a striker. You really find Latas club career match his ability. Man like Christian Karembau who play for Real madrid for years and fellas like Fabio Rochenbach and Giovanni who was starters at Barca..dem men were better than Latas? The list is a long one. Club success hinges on a lot more than just ability and even performance.

When you from a small nation with no int'l pedigree, get notice relatively late and have poor management..well bredda..de man do reaal good to be one of the top strikers in Portugal in his prime. And he was only in the POrtuguese 2nd division one season longer than Latas.

And please doh compare the man to Jerren Nixon. Portuguese league much stronger than the Swiss..and Leo was far more accomplished at national level. Plus, he give us our only win ever against the US  ;D (ok..dat doh matter but i felt like squeezing it in there).

LEO was de man at one time. Real boss

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2008, 11:25:40 AM »
[
Looks like all dem coaches at dem european & british top clubs must be have no eye fuh talent den.  Big up Leo.  Case is proven without a shadow of a doubt.  He score a beaver trick against Crystal Palace.  Dat seals it. 

why ask if your mind done made up. Beaver against CPalace is all you really think he was about?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2008, 11:45:52 AM »
Leo was top foreign scorer in Portuguese first division one season and the best striker for T&T in my lifetime.

1- So a portugese (or more) score more dan he dah season den?

2 - Stern John wasn't in your lifetime?  Or is a duppy mek dah post?  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 11:48:15 AM by palos »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 11:52:22 AM »

Palos,

I am surprised all of this needs to be explained to you. An in depth interview was done with LL (was it by SWN??) and he explained his success in Portugal and the actions of his agent which mitigated his ability to move on to other clubs in Portugal and Europe when they wanted him.

Also, Crystal Palace wanted him to come over immediately after he buss four on dem. Ah guess they were impressed by his fete match performance.

A great player, who should be rated up there with Latas and Dwight. Amazing blend of speed and skill. I was told by those who played vs. them, that he was even faster than Clint Marcelle.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2008, 12:14:58 PM »
It really understandable how strongly & vividly peeps hold their memories and recollections.

Talk to men like Trevor, Deeks, Coop's anbrat and dem and dey would go to dem grave swearin it had no group of footballers that could ever match De Leon, Cummings, Archibald etc.  Dem was de best.

Older peeps might say de same bout Carlton Franco, Alvin Corneal, Sedley Joseph etc

De 80's generation will swear by Latas, Yorke, Lewis etc.

However...sometimes de REALITY doh match de POSSIBILITY.

Take for example Carlos Edwards.  I fuh one had destined him for great things and swore that he woulda rip de EPL.  De REALITY is dat he cyah even make de bench now fuh Sunderland.  Yes..he's had some terrible injuries..but dat still dh change his REALITY.

Maybe Lewis was bad lucky.  Maybe his agent was evil and unscrupulous.  Maybe he merely came along at a bad time compared to today's players.  But great right up there with Latas and Yorke?  No disrespeck to de man but not even in de same area code.  Not de Leonson Lewis I see play and I see him play many times, at school level, minor league level, national team level, and club level.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 12:18:07 PM »

1- So a portugese (or more) score more dan he dah season den?

2 - Stern John wasn't in your lifetime?  Or is a duppy mek dah post?  ;D

1. yep. still a notable accomplishment, given he was on a kinda average team. but he did help them raise the Portuguese Cup that season which was quite an upset.
2. personally, i fine Leo was miles ahead of Stern

why focus on those two points anyway? what about the other points made by me and others. you don't seem to want to give the benefit to much. anyway..trying to measure his accomplishments is a kinda waste with someone whose mind done made up. either you saw him play and you rate him or you didn't. respeck

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2008, 12:20:09 PM »
All I could say is that those who ddn't see LL play, lose out.

Perhaps just like I lose out not seeing Gally, Steve David and De Leon in their prime.

The first time I saw the man was for the national youth team. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. One thought came to mind. "His cup brimmeth over with skill."

I made up my mind right then and there to track his career.

Wonderful player.

Thanks for your contribution LL. It was an honour and a privlege.

Sadly as great as he and his colleagues were. He was in an era when the national team just underpeformed.

Peace,
VB

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2008, 01:10:50 PM »
Ah couldn't resist as ah see dis thread. My li'l 2 cents...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=771ApbEQQWo

Palos get a grip breds. Leonson was borse!!!!!! .. Yuh hear meh!? Borse!!!!!!!

Big Mag give yuh a good concept to digest with Latas and Marcelle, which addresses false reasoning in rating a player by the club he geh to go to. Marcelle move up before Latas so Marcelle better? .... not necessarily. (No offense to Marcelle a man ah real erespect too). C'mon man. Allyuh please doh mess wit' established history please and stop dis reckless revisionist thinking.  ;D Nothing wrong with revisionist stuff eh .. but yuh gotta be careful and responsible wit' we heroes as li'l youts like Morvant, Small Mag and dem  ;D  reading dis ting.

Skills, athleticism, ball-at-your-feet skills, screening, fitness, power, speed, break away like Cornell Glen, single-mindedness, patriotism, goal scoring. Leonson had it all. A true winger who sored like a striker and tracking back fuh de full 90 minutes like real beas' eh.

If Leonson could go back in time and bring himself with his skills to today's market when T&T actually has name recognition for football, and we have real agents ang not back alley conmen who figure yuh cyah do better, he would geh a big contract easy peasy and make men like Highland look like joke.

By de way de fellah real fit even now!!! He eh easy.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2008, 01:39:45 PM »

Not only them coaches maybe me too. In my opinion Leo was good but please dont try to take it further people. a good analogy for me is that if the top footballers that I have seen from the days of Gally to now were olympic sprinters Leo would have made the second rounds. He couldn't make the semis far less the finals. Good fast fit player, not much brain. If twinkle toes Brewster had his size and speed the record books might have been re-written.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 01:52:50 PM by sub1 »

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2008, 01:57:52 PM »
If Leonson was born in England..he would be ah big player and receive the same or even better accolades than Paul Ince, Luther Blissett. Leon was ah boss ...doe let anybody fool yuh...

But Palos know dat...he only mamaguying d forum....good thread....i cant think of ah better striker apart from the GREAT STERN JOHN.... ;D
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2008, 02:00:58 PM »
If Leonson was born in England..he would be ah big player and receive the same or even better accolades than Paul Ince, Luther Blissett. Leon was ah boss ...doe let anybody fool yuh...

But Palos know dat...he only mamaguying d forum....good thread....i cant think of ah better striker apart from the GREAT STERN JOHN.... ;D

Then you must be autistic.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 02:11:20 PM »
Loved 2 c him play
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 02:30:28 PM »
unstoppable on the wings, skillful, graceful, aggressive when needed, a total package, don't have to many like him in TT anymore ...........sadly:(
I pity the fool....

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2008, 03:00:11 PM »
unstoppable on the wings, skillful, graceful, aggressive when needed, a total package, don't have to many like him in TT anymore ...........sadly:(

Doh have nobody like in TT right now.

VB

1]; } ?>