April 27, 2024, 05:15:21 AM

Author Topic: Keane must show Yorke, TT respect.  (Read 2899 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Keane must show Yorke, TT respect.
« on: September 21, 2008, 10:08:14 AM »
Keane must show Yorke, TT respect.
By Peter O’Connor (Newsday).

Sunderland FC in the English Premiership lists more than 30 “overseas” players in its squad. For the purposes of football, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, and of course the Republic of Ireland are all separate, and to England, “foreign” football nations.

Among this 30-odd group there are three from Trinidad and Tobago: Dwight Yorke, Carlos Edwards and the injured Kenwynne Jones.

For the World Cup Qualifiers played around the world on September 6 and 10 , at least ten of these players were called by their respective countries to play.

One of these was TT captain Dwight Yorke, a person coming off injury in England, and in need of playing time on the field. Yorke played the full 90 minutes against Guatemala. His experience and leadership remain vital to TT’s success. Two days before the team was to leave for the match in the United States, Dwight received a text message from Sunderland manager Roy Keane, instructing him to return to Sunderland immediately.

There was no contact with the TTFF, not even a courtesy (wrong word in describing Keane) call to our Coach Francisco Maturana, nor anything even in writing which Yorke could show to the TTFF in case their was any doubt about the astonishing nature of the summons.

But Keane would soon remove all doubt. Yes, he had sent the terse and insulting text message, because he “needed” Dwight for Sunderland’s match on Saturday, September 13, and Dwight could not play for his country on Wednesday and again on Saturday for Sunderland.

But others could! Keane claimed that Yorke had told him “about five times” that he (Yorke) had retired, and now he hears that Yorke is “running about on a field in Trinidad”.

Is he implying that Yorke was called up and came to Trinidad without his knowledge or permission? If this is the case, I would be very surprised, but let us wait for clarification.

If Sunderland knew that Yorke was here — and every player has every right to return from retirement should they so choose — then why pretend they did not know?

It appears that Keane, struggling with poor results, flailed at the one country which he felt he could bully, and instead of calling TTFF and seeing what could be arranged, summoned Yorke back. He certainly would not have tried that with Scotland, Ireland or Northern Ireland. Keane would have contacted those team managers, and discussed his problem. Because he hasno respect for us, he summons Yorke back by text.

And for what? Dwight was not even on the bench for the so-called critical game. No European country’s manager would have tolerated what we were forced to accept.

The loss of a critically important player, on the eve of departure for an important game would be disastrous had he been injured or sick. But to have your captain snatched away for petulant, selfish, and ultimately unnecessary reasons is hard to accept. Because Yorke the twilight of his career, it is difficult for him, or indeed TTFF, to respond meaningfully to this insult. We all remember how Alex Ferguson benched Yorke and Andy Cole when he decided that he did not like their behaviour off the field — even if it meant the team was losing on the field.

Keane learned his behaviour from Ferguson. Yorke would like to play a couple more years, but does not want to sit on a bench in Sunderland as punishment. He may not get many offers given his age, so, as he said, he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. So, are there any options for Dwight, or for us, in this situation? I noted there was a total lack of concern among the local media and fans for what Yorke had done — to the Tobagonian and to Trinidad and Tobago. But we have always had a very servile colonial attitude to dealing with the football clubs. We have repeatedly defended the club’s rights over the players rights because we are too insecure to stand up.

Would Yorke be willing to come back home, as Player/Assistant Coach for the Senior Team, and why not also for the Under-20 Team as it plays in the Superleague. His experience and leadership could lift both of these national teams, and develop Yorke’s skills as a manager and coach for the future.

If this could be worked out, we (Trinidad and Tobago — not Jack Warner) would need to buy out Yorke’s contract with Sunderland, and also compensate him at his true worth, based upon his current earnings.

Is there anyone in TT, corporate or otherwise, who might see the value in this Yorke willing of course!

TRINIDAD and Tobago football team captain Dwight Yorke, left, chest traps under pressure from Guatemalans Jean Marquez Orellana (No 16) and Carlos Cas...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 12:40:33 PM by Flex »

giggsy11

Re: Keane must show Yorke, TT respect
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 10:22:26 AM »
Yorke need to show some respect to him self first and take a stance, any stance.  just take a stance so all involve know where his head is instead of a set of speculating about him by others. 

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 11:56:35 AM »
I noted there was a total lack of concern among the local media and fans for what Yorke (sic) had done — to the Tobagonian and to Trinidad and Tobago. But we have always had a very servile colonial attitude to dealing with the football clubs. We have repeatedly defended the club’s rights over the players rights because we are too insecure to stand up.

This is patently false. Yorke in the past has suffered the most from fan criticism when it was perceived that he put his club (Aston Villa and then Manchester Utd) interest in front of T&T.

O Connor is posturing big time...but I see the scene. If we doh qualify and the house collapse we could always blame the irritating flea outside in the yard instead of the 500 pound rampagin gorilla ripping up we flooring ::)
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 12:04:07 PM »
I noted there was a total lack of concern among the local media and fans for what Yorke (sic) had done — to the Tobagonian and to Trinidad and Tobago. But we have always had a very servile colonial attitude to dealing with the football clubs. We have repeatedly defended the club’s rights over the players rights because we are too insecure to stand up.

This is patently false. Yorke in the past has suffered the most from fan criticism when it was perceived that he put his club (Aston Villa and then Manchester Utd) interest in front of T&T.

O Connor is posturing big time...but I see the scene. If we doh qualify and the house collapse we could always blame the irritating flea outside in the yard instead of the 500 pound rampagin gorilla ripping up we flooring ::)

Midnight, not sure if you picked up on it but if you read that line again in the context of the entire article, that was a big typo.

should have read, 'lack of concern among the local media and fans for what Keane had done - to the Tobagonian and Trinidad and Tobago'.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 12:42:40 PM »
Peter how bout yuh boi showin we players respect by playin dem dey money As 4 DY as giggsy say take a stand. If u eh stand 4 sometin u go fall 4 anyting
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 01:11:10 PM »
Midnight, not sure if you picked up on it but if you read that line again in the context of the entire article, that was a big typo.

should have read, 'lack of concern among the local media and fans for what Keane had done - to the Tobagonian and Trinidad and Tobago'.

...he did pick up on it..."(sic)".

His comments have to do with O'Connor saying local fans always giving clubs ah bligh over the Federation.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Keane must show Yorke, TT respect.
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2008, 02:13:31 PM »

Typical O'Connor article...blame fans, give TTFF a bly. At least Camps can keep his mouth shut
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2008, 05:33:18 PM »

...he did pick up on it..."(sic)".

His comments have to do with O'Connor saying local fans always giving clubs ah bligh over the Federation.

That's it.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2008, 07:00:59 PM »
Peter O’Connor is a full blown member supporter of the JACT (aka TTFF)

who does proof read these articles  ::)..."in case their was any doubt"

"If this could be worked out, we (Trinidad and Tobago — not Jack Warner) would need to buy out Yorke’s contract with Sunderland, and also compensate him at his true worth, based upon his current earnings."
Bull Crap.......we ALL have to stop thinking that the team that JACT (aka TTFF) puts on the field is a TnT Team.
It is a team selected by TTFF which has NOTHING to do with Nationalistic pride/reasons and everything to do with Money for Jack Warner.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 07:17:05 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 05:48:21 AM »
" Yes, he had sent the terse and insulting text message, "

look who talking !

"and the injured Kenwynne Jones."

you mean the one TTFF had no insurance for and Sunderland picking up the tab ?

saddis give me a break
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 07:14:24 AM »
Let me take this oppurtunity to applaud you E-Man.Yur sermonising was/is dead right.BRAVO!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2008, 09:03:00 AM »
Let me take this oppurtunity to applaud you E-Man.Yur sermonising was/is dead right.BRAVO!

You have the right to your own opinions, but at least clap the right man on his back when you decide to do it. Those aren't necessarily E man's opinions because he posts an O Connor article for information

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2008, 09:26:01 AM »

You have the right to your own opinions, but at least clap the right man on his back when you decide to do it. Those aren't necessarily E man's opinions because he posts an O Connor article for information
:D :D
O'Connor is a grade A arsehole...how ya like dat sermon
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 10:43:36 AM »
But others could! Keane claimed that Yorke had told him “about five times” that he (Yorke) had retired, and now he hears that Yorke is “running about on a field in Trinidad”.
Is he implying that Yorke was called up and came to Trinidad without his knowledge or permission?

I too still cyar make heads or tail of this comment....is wha, Dwight just sneak off in de dead of night, jump on a BA flight and reach Trinidad, put on a T&T juzzy and Keane didn't know??... ???
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 01:30:35 PM »

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the stated author and definitely do not reflect the views of the poster.  ;D

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 01:41:44 PM »
Is he implying that Yorke was called up and came to Trinidad without his knowledge or permission?

I too still cyar make heads or tail of this comment....is wha, Dwight just sneak off in de dead of night, jump on a BA flight and reach Trinidad, put on a T&T juzzy and Keane didn't know??... ???

I think this quote was referring to the England game. Yorke came home on holiday as far as Keane know...or it was before pre-season so he didn't have a clue as to where Yorke was.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 01:53:44 PM »

nah he toldhimwas to go zen...

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 08:51:09 PM »
Ah happen to pass by ah TTFF meeting in de stadium not so long ago ...dere was Peter O connor , just like old times ..allyuh get it ..looked for meh pardner Valentino Singh too but maybe he was in de front !

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 10:40:33 PM »

Yuh have to forgive frico for misreading... he read the post and closed his eyes just as he was cummin.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 02:57:01 AM »
Stop splitting hairs man,allyuh know it was a clerical error but since allyuh think Keene was right in his actions then I am amazed.The fact is O'Conner is 100% right and let me take this oppurtunity to applaud him.He hit the nail on the head.I wonder what is E-Man's view since he saw it necessary to report the article,well done to him for doing so.BRAVO!

1]; } ?>