March 29, 2024, 06:41:12 AM

Author Topic: Referees are making players “sissies”  (Read 1997 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Referees are making players “sissies”
« on: September 23, 2008, 06:03:59 AM »
Referees are making players “sissies”
Express & Star

Goalkeeper Clayton Ince believes referees are turning football in a game for “sissies” as Walsall decide against appealing their two red cards on Saturday.

Rhys Weston and Netan Sansara were dismissed inside the first 33 minutes of the remarkable 1-0 win at Brighton but Saddlers’ boss Jimmy Mullen believed an appeal would fail, meaning they will both be banned for three games, starting with Saturday’s visit of Carlisle.

Goalkeeper Ince who could only watch as defenders Weston and Sansara were sent off. He believes referees are ruining the game for players.

He said: “You can tell a player ‘don’t tackle’ or tell a player to watch his tackles but that is not how football was in the 70s. Now they are making it a sissy game of non-contact.

“I think they were really harsh because it was early in the game and he could have given them a warning. It wasn’t a dirty game and no-one goes out to damage a player.

“Referees are under pressure because they are under the spotlight. Players say the game is getting too soft but when we see things like that what can you do.”

Ince revealed he spoke to referee Mick Thorpe at the break to voice his opinions, because he felt so strongly about the dismissals.

He said: “I spoke to the referee at half time. I told him everyone had come to enjoy it and nobody had come to hurt anyone. He could have given them a yellow card and told them no more tackles.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Referees are making players “sissies”
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:03:44 AM »

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:11:42 AM »
The SSFL probably have some of the worst referees doing games right now.  Like the refs want to take all the attention away from the players and direct it to them instead.  They does feel people pay to come and see them instead of the youths.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 08:15:06 AM »
1/2 ah dem ref eh know wha they doing.

a fallout i had with 1 is de reason ah ban from a certain league in the atlanta area.

fork dem.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 08:35:15 AM »
People can say what they want,i am not here to say weather a Referee is right or wrong,weather it have good or bad Referees etc etc but we have to put ourselves in  Referee position sometimes,i believe they are the most abused individuals in the game today,when players,team officials,fans can celebrate when their teams do well etc  what does a Referee have to celebrate and he still have to struggle sometimes to get paid.When games are over for everybody it's never over for a Referee,it have occasions when he/she can't walk the streets/go no where without being harassed,these guys are human just like everybody else,it have decisions they make once it's not in peoples favour they will say they refereeing shyt,big name players(millionaires)feel they can control/tell a Referee what ever they want,most times it's a matter of respect for the man in the middle,no player is bigger than the game,i understand Ince he is hurt because it affected his team,i'm sure if you ask anybody from the other team they will say the Referee was right.I does just have to sympathise with the Referees and let them do their jobs because without them we have no game.         

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 08:56:03 AM »
I agree with Coops Referees have it tough and the laws don't lend itself to proper player management. Look at the Terry incident, ok it was not a vicious foul, but it was a professional foul. No intention what so ever of playing the ball and designed to stop the player at all cost. So it should have been Red as the law states. But nah the FA fu*k it up, demote the ref and now how do you think other refes will react??
 It goes both ways as well. Look at the tackle on Clichy on Saturday, most people would say it deserved a sending off. So Arsenal lose a key player and Blackburn were not punished as their player stayed on the field.
However, after all of that I must admit I find more than ever (in the last 8 years) referees are determining the outcome of games and that is a concern.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 09:06:20 AM »
Referees trying hard to get into the spotlight. They trying to take the game away from the players and be the center of attention. Here in the US it have referees who does be talking to the players and telling them all kind of crap, coaching and all, when the player respond they want to card the player.

They find themselves in arguments with players and technical staff then want to defend themselves with a card. As a referee you don't ask question or make open ended statements. Blow the whistle and it's final. Many cannot keep up with the game and don't understand the subtleties of the game. It is all well and good that to say that the referee have a difficult job, but is it not their responsibility? If you cannot do it then say you can't. I don't have sympathy cause just as they are under the spotlight so to are the players who are playing for contracts, scholarship, etc. So don't give me the poor me.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 09:20:18 AM »
Referees trying hard to get into the spotlight. They trying to take the game away from the players and be the center of attention. Here in the US it have referees who does be talking to the players and telling them all kind of crap, coaching and all, when the player respond they want to card the player.

They find themselves in arguments with players and technical staff then want to defend themselves with a card. As a referee you don't ask question or make open ended statements. Blow the whistle and it's final. Many cannot keep up with the game and don't understand the subtleties of the game. It is all well and good that to say that the referee have a difficult job, but is it not their responsibility? If you cannot do it then say you can't. I don't have sympathy cause just as they are under the spotlight so to are the players who are playing for contracts, scholarship, etc. So don't give me the poor me.

true dat!

i see a referee run and cuff ah man behind he head the other day b/c he think the man kick he with d ball on a quick restart. nuff bacchanal ensue.

unfortunately, the player and he team black and the referee, local area and police dept. white. otherwise, a deserved beatdown on dat ref was coming.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 09:21:35 AM »
People can say what they want,i am not here to say weather a Referee is right or wrong,weather it have good or bad Referees etc etc but we have to put ourselves in  Referee position sometimes,i believe they are the most abused individuals in the game today,when players,team officials,fans can celebrate when their teams do well etc  what does a Referee have to celebrate and he still have to struggle sometimes to get paid.When games are over for everybody it's never over for a Referee,it have occasions when he/she can't walk the streets/go no where without being harassed,these guys are human just like everybody else,it have decisions they make once it's not in peoples favour they will say they refereeing shyt,big name players(millionaires)feel they can control/tell a Referee what ever they want,most times it's a matter of respect for the man in the middle,no player is bigger than the game,i understand Ince he is hurt because it affected his team,i'm sure if you ask anybody from the other team they will say the Referee was right.I does just have to sympathise with the Referees and let them do their jobs because without them we have no game.         

True of not just referees, but officials (as in officiating personnel) in general.  They are arguably the most indispensible component in sports, and at the same time the least appreciated.  It has been said (in other sports, but applicable to all), that a ref has done his job when the game's over and no one can remember his name or what he did.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 09:24:59 AM »

Elan i hear you,when i talking about Referees i don't refer to US Referees because they are the worst i've ever seen,i'm in the system here for years so i deal with them every day,the problem is it's hard when you have never played the game,  most of them are good at reading the Law book and passing the exams,that's the criteria for being a Referee here,what helps here though is they know any time anybody touch a Ref you can make a jail easy,that's league rules so they use that to their advantage,it's not a matter of poor me it's a matter of either you want to play or you don't want to play,i here long enough and i know these guys,i've heard of a lot of situations from different people and all ended up the same way,all i can say is you eh winning them fellas.    
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:40:54 AM by Coop's »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 10:15:35 AM »

True of not just referees, but officials (as in officiating personnel) in general.  They are arguably the most indispensible component in sports, and at the same time the least appreciated.  It has been said (in other sports, but applicable to all), that a ref has done his job when the game's over and no one can remember his name or what he did.

That is the key right there Bakes. :applause:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 12:00:13 PM »
Is true the refs under pressure and that they under intense scrutiny by the fans, players, association etc., but if a ref doing a professional job, then he/she have nothing to worry about.  Blow yuh whistle as fairly as you can, but trouble does start when the ref start to consider which side is the home side , who are the national players on the teams, who is the starboys and thinking they hadda protect them from tackles etc...that is what does take away from their ability to blow a good game.  I sure Collinas made many mistakes in his career, but because he has a reputation for fair play and being closely involved with the game, you wouldn't hear many people chastising him after a bad call, because after all the man is human.

Hear this, yesterday SSFL...Pres playing Vessigny in the Mannie.  Vessigny get a free kick just outside the box.  A player take the kick, but there was an infringment by another Vessigny player just on top the 6yd...ref right on top the play...so he blow he whistle...Pres ball.  Standing with his legs slightly apart, he pointed to a spot about 6" on the outside of his left boot.  The Presman pick up the ball on a trot, spot it just by the ref right boot and make a short pass to the right defender, who by now looking to mash line and blaze up the road for a counter attack.  The ref blow...call back the ball and tell the player to go back and spot the ball where he showed him.  By now everybody in defense, the ref move away from the spot, the ball come back and the player ent know where the ref say to take the kick from, the player spot the ball about 8yd higher up from where the ref say in the first place...make the same play again and the ref ent say nothing.  Now yuh hadda ask yuhself what he call back the play for...he take away the advantage on account of the ball being 1ft away from where he say to take it, and 10 secs after allow it to be taken much higher up anyway.

Yuh hadda ask yuhself, what is the point he trying to prove...just that he is the boss of the game ?
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

1]; } ?>