April 28, 2024, 12:26:01 AM

Author Topic: Latapy appointed Player/Coach of National Senior Team.  (Read 18665 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think it was the right thing to bring Latas to coach with Maturana?
« Reply #60 on: September 21, 2008, 07:20:26 PM »
Which money he still owed from 06 WC so he need 2 b sure what d money 4 d past wuk or d wuk 2 come
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2008, 07:21:23 PM »
just as long as Russell has the money in the bank......FIRST

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Wham? Yuh eh hear the check's in the mail ... ::) Jack doh work banker's hours buh he sure knows how to lock de door to de vault. hehheh

of course an advance hadda be in the mix

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy appointed Player/Coach of National Senior Team.
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2008, 07:27:45 PM »
^ >>> I just don't like to hear chupidness like this. Is a national team not a Fete match sweat. I would like to see Latas Involved but not like this.

I think Coops right, appease the masses.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2008, 07:28:32 PM »
how is this going to work out with his club commitments has a player/coach ?
would he have to be in T&T before the oversea's pro's come in etc ?
this seems kinda strange

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2008, 07:50:29 PM »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ............... :applause:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 21, 2008, 08:16:55 PM »
this seems kinda strange
       Somebody thinking,these are very important questions.

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2008, 08:27:38 PM »
this seems kinda strange
He is just an assistant coach for now.....He is not de chief scout or anyting like dat.....is jes dat when ever he in de country for de games, he entitled to do ah lil coaching also......Dis is a very big move at this time, and we mnust be thankful regardless ah all who balling is ah mad scene......Latas is ah boss, I jes hope he leggo de cigarette for dese rest ah qualifiers doh

Offline ChipChipSilver

• 'Let the Good Times Roll'
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Do you feel like working today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2008, 08:28:27 PM »
Think it's a good move at this stage but only time will tell.  
In Everything, Give Thanks

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
BM see this news yet? I waiting for him to voice his wisdom......!

Glad to see Latas in de fold and thick of things, but I have mixed feelings!

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2008, 10:55:54 PM »
I feel this latapy thing pointless unless the best players allowed to take the field.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2008, 11:08:34 PM »
Bounty let we hope he side wit d blacklisted players this time because u know he did not d last time. As u say if Edwards continue 2 b ind defence presure 4 oui
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2008, 11:10:18 PM »
Forever u know dat wit d clowns we dealin wit u just waitin 4 d next shoe 2 drop thus yuh mixed feelings

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2008, 11:56:02 PM »
This is like yuh finally get with a gyul you was tracking for the last 10 years and then first time you manage to grab on to her and kiss her you realise she breath kicking like Jet Li.

It feeling good but something smelling funny.

I go hold mih thoughts on this one.

Could not have described it better.

This is Jack , take nothing at face value.
Latapy is youth coach at Falkirk which means he is actually coaching a team on his own, how he going to gel with Pacho , Anton and Maurice etc... bound to have fall out , hopefully after we make it to the hex.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 02:08:32 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2008, 03:02:38 AM »
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2008, 04:05:51 AM »
a large sigh of relief.

some kinda sanity inside the camp.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2008, 04:12:46 AM »
The verdict on Matu still out.  I not sure which coach would have made us beat the US.  The draw in Trini is the players fault.  However, Matu seemed to have had a mad/genius streak from the start.  I don't think Matu should be sacked yet because no coach would have helped us against the US.  Would different players have made the difference?  Maybe, we'll have a home game to settle that point.  The way I see it SM we should take at least 7 from the next 3 games.  If we do that we in.  I think with the crop of players back we could do that under Matu.  With Latas back, BIG PLUS.  To put Latas as head coach now would just ruin the man chances of keeping that job long term.

We have a win, a draw and an expected loss.  The biggest disappointment is dropping that point to Guat.  I can't blame the coach for that.  I think Latas would add to the team but i don't think that he may make a better head coach than Matu.  Let Latas prove himself under less do or die circumstances.

good point overall, but still i dont think that a 3-0 drubbing from the US was expected... we havent had such a heavy defeat from the US for a few decades, and i think the players we had were quite capable... its just that they either wernt on the field (scotland and lawrence) and or the fact that our leading player was cyd "reckless" gray and not to mention that throughout the whole match their seemed to be no directions comming from the coaching bench or any restrategizing in any form or manner.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2008, 04:19:23 AM »
If the priest could play,who is me

Now this is bacchanal..... :rotfl: :rotfl:

I only hope that Jack work out all them dam details with Falkirk before he announce this

This made my mourning

Now one things Jack is certain of,is that HC will be sold out for the next 2 home games

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2008, 05:35:25 AM »
this seems kinda strange
He is just an assistant coach for now.....He is not de chief scout or anyting like dat.....is jes dat when ever he in de country for de games, he entitled to do ah lil coaching also......Dis is a very big move at this time, and we mnust be thankful regardless ah all who balling is ah mad scene......Latas is ah boss, I jes hope he leggo de cigarette for dese rest ah qualifiers doh
Breds do you know what is an assistant Coach?do you know what's the role of an assistant Coach?Anton does get blame for everything Pacho does,to make it simple if something happens to Pacho lets say fired etc he is the man,he has to be in touch with the team on a daily basis just like the head Coach,knowledge of the players,game plan/strategies team uses,he has to develop some kind of relationship with Pacho(same page) etc etc this is not about a little coaching this is big time full time coaching,it's a national team we talking about not a Minor league team.I too agree Latas is a Boss but i don't have a problem with his smoking or drinking once it does not affect his ability to impart his knowledge/experience to players or teams he deals with,i've observed many quality Coaches with those same bad habits.   

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2008, 06:06:02 AM »
yeah, this is indeed good news imho (see, I'm learning the short hand thing ;D)
anyhoo, does this mean anton is taking a side- maybe one of the other teams?
I am now thinking that they are serious- let's see if maturana will actually listen to his assistant, like he
listened to the last one... ::)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2008, 06:08:34 AM »
wonder if Latas will bench himself for Theobald?

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2008, 06:50:10 AM »
Has Dwight Yorke officially come out of international retirement and is the Roy Keane issue resolved?

Nothing change with Yorke situation other than the fact that we will not take on Keane now.

Probably not missing the chance to have a swansong with Latas. Keane will vex but I think Yorke realize (finally) that he not getting no sweat.

Yuh never know they might come to an agreement to release his registration and he might move to a (championship) club that willing to accomodate his desire to play qualifiers. Or keane hcould have him rot in the stands, either way I don't see him missing these games.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2008, 08:18:09 AM »
i will wait after the Guatemala game to rejoice
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
RETURN OF THE MAGICIAN
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2008, 08:31:08 AM »

STAR TURN: Trinidad and Tobago and Falkirk FC midfielder Russell "The Little Magician" Latapy, right, at a training session during the Soca Warriors' 2006 World Cup campaign in Germany. Latapy has been appointed player-coach of the senior national team. In the background is striker Stern John. -Photo: Robert Taylor

Latapy back in T&T squad as player-coach
Ian Prescott

Monday, September 22nd 2008

Surprising? Yes! But certainly predictable.

Yesterday, the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) issued a release announcing the appointment of former captain Russell Latapy, fondly known as "The Little Magician", as both a player and assistant coach to Colombian Francisco Maturana on the Trinidad and Tobago senior national team.

Latapy's return comes with the Soca Warriors having to travel to Guatemala and get a positive result from their CONCACAF World Cup qualifier on October 11, following a humbling 3-0 defeat against the United States earlier this month.

With the US almost certain to top the group with a maximum nine points from their three matches, Trinidad and Tobago and Guatemala are level with four points and battling to secure the final spot in the Final Round of World Cup qualifying in the CONCACAF region.

T&T have three semi-final qualifying matches left, against Guatemala (October 11), the United States (October 15) and Cuba (November 19).

Latapy, 40, has been appointed in the first instance for the next two qualifying matches, the crucial away game to Guatemala and when the Soca Warriors host the United States.

TTFF special adviser Jack Warner yesterday confirmed Latapy's appointment.

"We are pleased to have Mr Latapy on board with us for the next two qualifying matches in the first instance," Warner told TTFF media officer Shaun Fuentes. "The two matches against Guatemala and USA are of utmost importance at this stage and we believe that Latapy's role is an asset to the team and the Federation. We wish to welcome him and look forward to his involvement in our efforts to achieve the desired progress in our football."

This is Warner's second attempt to install Latapy as an assistant coach of the national team. Three years ago, both Latapy and former captain David Nakhid were announced as assistants when Leo Beenhakker, the former Holland and Real Madrid coach, took over on May 1, 2005.

But, Beenhakker would have none of that, stating that he was coming in at the 11th hour and was bringing his own assistants, Theo De Jonk and Wim Rijsbergen, to Trinidad and Tobago.

Former FC Porto midfielder Latapy, currently on staff at Falkirk FC in Scotland, accepted the offer to return to the T&T team following initial talks with the TTFF earlier this month.

The Federation also announced the national team will play a friendly international in early October. And midfielder Chris Birchall and defender Dennis Lawrence have been confirmed as members of the T&T squad for the upcoming matches, along with Sunderland midfielder Dwight Yorke.

"We can also at this stage confirm the likes of Chris Birchall, Dennis Lawrence and Dwight Yorke in the team for the upcoming matches. The full squad, as selected and confirmed by the coaching staff, will be revealed this coming week, but I can assure you that we will give all attempts to ensure we have the best possible chance of achieving the results to continue our progress in the qualification for South Africa," Warner added.

Since retiring from international football following the 2006 World Cup in Germany, Latapy has been working with Scottish Premier League club Falkirk FC, where he is one of the assistant coaches. He also plays about 20-30 minutes with the senior squad.

"I was delighted to get the call to come back and serve Trinidad and Tobago," Latapy told Fuentes yesterday. "I've always said that I would do whatever might be necessary to help our football and being given the opportunity to come back and give the support is one I would not turn down.

"I will continue to give my support in the new role that has been offered to me. I am looking forward to working with everybody involved in the team and the football on a whole and hopefully we can achieve our desired goal."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_sports?id=161378614
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: RETURN OF THE MAGICIAN
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2008, 09:54:40 AM »
Get your popcorn ready, I seeing bachanal at the end of the tunnel. Latapy under Mats. This will be an interesting one.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2008, 09:57:59 AM »
Will lightning strike twice?

Guess we'll see.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Augi

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2008, 09:58:04 AM »
The saga that is Trinidad and Tobago football continues... No visionary strategies  just reactionary ploys to appease the "quick to fete" masses. No immediate sacrifice in order to attain longterm sustainable objectives...In other words,this is real bullshit.
I love latapy bad, bad but I vex with him for allowing Warner to use him for the promise of being head national coach one day.
Player/coach my ass.Latas all you going to get he is a 20min sweat.You going to be used to fill the Stadium with waggonist.You going to be used to distract the public from their call for the head of Maturana.

I we really serious about making change get rid of Maturana, install Latas as the head coach.We give the qualifying campaign to SA our best shot.If we don't make it we have somthing in place for the next 4 years.Anything else is pure folly.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2008, 10:16:43 AM »
this is a facking movie that cant end ???...mama...Russell did i not warn you about this in Scotland 2 months ago ??.. mama...

I knew about this early sunday Morning...but i was waiting for it to come out...

boy at least we might see de man take ah sweat yes...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2008, 10:18:52 AM »
this is a facking movie that cant end ...mama...Russell did i not warn you about this in Scotland 2 months ago ??.. mama...

I knew about this early sunday Morning...but i was waiting for it to come out...

boy at least we might see de man take ah sweat yes...say wha...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2008, 10:27:08 AM »
So no stern joh  or darrell roberts and scotland sitting on the bench still
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>