April 28, 2024, 05:46:38 AM

Author Topic: Do we expect too much?  (Read 2475 times)

Offline teddy bear

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Do we expect too much?
« on: September 08, 2005, 07:24:33 AM »
I wonder if because of what happened in the 1990 campaign, if we expect too much of our team. Given the fact that the structure of football in T&T is not one that we produce "basic technically good" players, are we expecting too much when we get to international level. I will always want us to do well and win every game, but I wonder if that's just thinking with my heart and not my head, as I suspect all of us do.

PS STILL BLASTED UPSET WID HOMEVIEW. SENT DEM A EMAIL NO RESPONSE YET. I WAIT UP TILL 3AM THIS MORNING TO LISTEN TO DE GAME AND NOTTEN.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 08:17:21 AM by Tallman »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Do we expect too much?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 08:07:40 AM »
That's a VERY tough question.

First of all what are our expectations and to what degree are our expectations  affected by mere hope, and optimism ?

Secondly how knowledgeable and rational are our supporters. Expectations will vary according to that.

Thirdly, expectations are based on people's perception of potential. Supporters most times expect that a team will play to its full potential. Is our team playing to it's full potential ? The answer to that may never be known. My opinion is that we're not.

If it is that our team is currently playing to its full potential, then yes most of us probably expect too much.

If not, then the ignorant fan might still be expecting too much....especially now at WCQ time.

However I think the knowledgeable supporter, free of the emotion, optimism and careless hope that goes along with a World Cup campaign has realistic expectations.

I think that my expectations are right on par........sometimes clouded by a little hope and optimism.

WE STILL IN IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 08:30:29 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 08:23:06 AM »
No, I wouldn't say that we expect too much. What I would say is that we do not do what is required to realize our expectations.

Progressing to the second rounds of a World Cup or winning the World Cup is expecting too much. However, qualifying for the World Cup is a realistic expectation for our country.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 08:30:02 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 08:27:27 AM »
How could beating Panama, Guatemala and CR be high expectations?

It seems like you setting yours a little too low breds.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline teddy bear

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 08:40:47 AM »
I'm not saying that we shouldn't be beating teams like CR<PAN etc, my thing is that if, as I've read on other post, our production line of players is "limited", as to where players can't trap, pass, don't know how to find space etc, then is it high. And until we can sought these grassroot problems, will they continue to be. Also kicker said expectations are partly based on  peoples perception of potential. True, but it's also based on past results, or should be. Believe me I want so much for us to be running through this hex, and before everygame I'm one of the few people who believe we WILL win, but I want to deal with reality. Hence I posed this question.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 09:30:22 AM »
Good question pardnah....

I think our expectations on the high side, which is ok if the rationale behind it is solid or somewhat objective. I'm not sure if we could claim that. Definitely part of it is 1989 and getting so close to the WC, we assumed we would improve from there. If Mexico was not banned from that WC there would not have even been a 'Nov 19' and expectations might be a bit different.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 09:31:57 AM »
I didn't see the game last night but on Sat we definitely played to our potential. My guess is we did last night as well. We have the right team at present. Going into a hostile environment and getting a win is never easy. Our shortcomings in defense are due to a lack of talent i.e. speed and skill, so giving up goals isn't due to lack of effort but merely ability.
The best teams and defenses give up goals so that's not the problem.
The only problem was not having this team from the beginning of the hex so that we would have gotten results in all of our home games.
We wasted games against the US, CR and Gua in Gua. We were competitive in all those games despite not having our strongest unit.

We should only expect to see our team play to the best of their capabilities. I think if we had the full squad from the beginning that would have meant 3rd place in this hex.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 09:33:51 AM by Marcos »
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 03:16:53 PM »
WE ARE SUPPOSED TO EXPECT THE BEST AND NOTHING MORE... THE BEST RESULT IS NEVER TOO MUCH TO EXPECT.... WE WANT TO WIN..

WE WILL CARRY ON....... WE NOT GIVIN UP............ WE GOING TO GERMANY

GO WARRIORS
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 12:05:24 AM »
To use our performance vs Guatemala is one basis for setting expectations.  Another is to use our 'perception of potential' as mentioned before - whether it be our players potential or our potential as a team.

I think the part that is missing is our assessment of the opposition. I might be wrong but many of the Guatemalans and Costa Ricans are unknowns in Trinidad.

For example - When we expect Arsenal to Manchester (it better happen :D) its because we watch the premier league and know something about both teams' players and we know a little bit about how the teams play. We compare defenses, midfields, forwards and look at matchups etc etc....

But how many of us really know Costa Rica's team well enough to match their players against ours? How many can look at Costa Rica play and assess whether they are playing to potential, say who's having a good bad day etc?

What Im saying is if we dont know what Costa Rica has to offer our expectations are based on one sided information and I think thats where our reasoning for setting certain expectations might fall short.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 12:43:08 AM »
How do you base expectations.
What is this team's international record ?
When BStC had the team we played the preliminary qualifiers , the gold cup qualifiers and three final games. You had to be a real optimist to think at that time that we had any hope.
Prior to that we did not have any quality international games played, friendly or otherwise, so how could we rate the team against any good opposition.Beenhaker come and we in with a statistical chance of 4th place.
But look at the games we won Panama at home and a blood and guts victory over Gua.
What I am trying to say is that this team still going through the developmental process and expectations have to be based on the last performance and I guess your own patriotic feelings.
Finally remember unlike the other teams that have most of their starters playing at home in good professional leagues, we grab most of our players from away , throw them together and give the coachs little or no time to get them playing together.
That is why we see sheer individual brilliance sparking this team to victory (latas for i nstance).
Ah still think Jack go win this for us
Fishs

Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 06:40:37 AM »
EXPECT TOO MUCH? Why should we not set the bar high? Look at teams like Mexico. Mexcio with their points were still under attack from the locals about the coach's decisions.

If it's anything, we need to set high expectations and begin playing to a CONSISTENT level of top performance. That is the expectation. If any player is not performing, then take them out!!!! That expectation must be intrinsic to the player and endemic to the team.

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 06:42:51 AM »
Alberta how you up so early boi??

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 06:44:35 AM »
We have to expect much from a team in the final hex and a top experience coach....

No excuses..... because PAN, GUA, CRC and TRI in de small class when it comes to team skills etc.... anyone can beat anyone anytime.....

The one who wants it more will go, once they have de heart and hunger for success.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 06:54:03 AM »
WE SHOULD HAVE palyed with the  EXPECTATION that FIRST was a possibility and settle for THIRD. Now we go in expecting THIRD and may get FOURTH.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2005, 08:45:57 AM »
Good question pardnah....

I think our expectations on the high side, which is ok if the rationale behind it is solid or somewhat objective. I'm not sure if we could claim that. Definitely part of it is 1989 and getting so close to the WC, we assumed we would improve from there. If Mexico was not banned from that WC there would not have even been a 'Nov 19' and expectations might be a bit different.

Filho yuh talking shit... Mexico was due to play Costa Rica in ah home and away when banned... So it would have been Mexico or Costa Rica in tha group.... not both ....
One could even argue that Mexico may have taken more points off the US thus helping us in the end...
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

1]; } ?>