March 28, 2024, 10:48:57 PM

Author Topic: Former stars welcome return of 'Little Magician'  (Read 3708 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Former stars welcome return of 'Little Magician'
« on: September 23, 2008, 04:30:38 AM »
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

ALL HAIL LATAPY

Former Trinidad and Tobago national football team stand-out Everald "Gally" Cummings yesterday applauded the return of iconic player Russell "Little Magician" Latapy, but only if the 40-year-old Scotland-based midfielder plans to help the "Soca Warriors" as a coach.

Cummings, who made Latapy a key component of his "Strike Squad" 20 years ago, admitted that he had few details about the Falkirk star's new role as "player/coach", but said he had a lot to offer local football.

"Who wouldn't be happy to have the Little Magician?" asked Cummings, who is a sport director at the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT). "I don't know the logistics of the whole situation and if he is coming more as a player or as a coach.

"If he is coming more as a coach, then yes."

Retired national goalkeeper and Football Players Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT) president Shaka Hislop, who was Latapy's teammate at the 2006 World Cup, also congratulated the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) on their choice.

"I think it is an appointment that is not only inevitable but long overdue," said Hislop, who works as an ESPN football analyst. "For the first time, we have players who played abroad at the highest level and have the opportunity to go into coaching and we have to make the most of that."

CLICO San Juan Jabloteh assistant coach and Trinidad and Tobago's most capped international player, Angus Eve, feels that Latapy could lift the country's 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign, as he did for the 2006 series.

"I think the guys always look up to 'Latas' and the Trinidad public love him to be in and around the team," said Eve. "He is always a 'pick me up' and he was definitely a lift for the guys in the last campaign."

FIFA technical adviser Alvin Corneal, a former national player and coach, sounded a word of caution, though.

Corneal pointed out that Latapy's record as assistant coach for unheralded Scotland Premier League team, Falkirk FC, offered little clues as to whether he could succeed.

"If the TTFF think he is good enough and want to use him then, he is entitled to a chance," said Corneal. "It is hard to judge him because Falkirk is not a big club and I can't say he did anything substantial there...

"A good player does not necessarily make a good coach... It is a whole different profession.

"I am not going to challenge Russell's ability to coach because I don't know it. But a lot of people will be saying that he was a great player so he would be a great appointment. I disagree with it on that basis."

Corneal, whose son Anton is assistant to present T&T head coach, Colombian Francisco Maturana, and was understudy to Dutchmen Leo Beenhakker and Wim Rijsbergen, believes Latapy will return primarily as a player. And he think it appears to be a panicked decision.

"There is no doubt that quality is quality and, if he is fit, he can always produce something special," said Corneal. "But to bring in a 40-year-old to replace a 19-year-old or 20-year-old is tough and quite an indictment on the talented players today like Ataullah Guerra who are aspiring to play at the highest level.

"I cannot comment on Latapy's form now because Falkirk is struggling and he has not played much for them this season. But maybe someone in the TTFF is more aware of his present condition."

Cummings also felt that Latapy's best role was not as a player.

"He would be interfering with the development of our programme, providing there is a programme," he said. "We need to start to develop other Latapys and not have the same person playing until he is 50 years."

It is still unclear how Latapy would fit into the present coaching set-up.

Eve explained that coaches usually select their own assistants to be sure there is a mutual philosophy. He does not know how Maturana would handle Latapy's inclusion if he did not request it in the first place.

"I cannot comment on Russell as a coach because I do not know what he brings as a coach," said Eve. "If Maturana handles the structure of the team and Latapy brings the flair, it can be a good combination if they mesh together."

Cummings and Hislop, both local sporting Hall of Famers, cannot wait for Latapy to inherit the top coaching post, though.

"With no disrespect to Anton (Corneal), I feel Russell has better credentials to eventually take over on a full-time basis," said Hislop. "Time will tell how the staff relationship works with Russell's inclusion, but I think it is time Russell is given the opportunity to impart his experience both in the short-term and in the long-term.

"I think Russell has a long-term future in coaching and I think Trinidad and Tobago is in a great position to capitalise on that. I can only hope that the powers-that-be share my enthusiasm."
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Former stars welcome return of 'Little Magician'
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 04:38:00 AM »
ha ha yuh son had to ride out ..............
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 06:04:59 AM »

ALL HAIL LATAPY

FIFA technical adviser Alvin Corneal, a former national player and coach, sounded a word of caution, though.

"If the TTFF think he is good enough and want to use him then, he is entitled to a chance," said Corneal. "It is hard to judge him because Falkirk is not a big club and I can't say he did anything substantial there...

"A good player does not necessarily make a good coach... It is a whole different profession.

"There is no doubt that quality is quality and, if he is fit, he can always produce something special," said Corneal. "But to bring in a 40-year-old to replace a 19-year-old or 20-year-old is tough and quite an indictment on the talented players today like Ataullah Guerra who are aspiring to play at the highest level.

Trying to sow discord in Mr. Corneal? The same Guerra who allyuh continue to ignore is an indictment against Latapy?  Perhaps if ya'll had selected the young man in the 1st place. Then again he playin for Jabloteh...
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 06:06:04 AM »
ha ha yuh son had to ride out ..............

:devil: :rotfl: ;)
I pity the fool....

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 06:06:54 AM »
Alvin blood pressure must be rising  and his heart racing. The heir apparent is no longer apparent. Watch the Circus fellas.

Offline kingdavid

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 06:15:40 AM »

ALL HAIL LATAPY

Former Trinidad and Tobago national football team stand-out Everald "Gally" Cummings yesterday applauded the return of iconic player Russell "Little Magician" Latapy, but only if the 40-year-old Scotland-based midfielder plans to help the "Soca Warriors" as a coach.

Cummings, who made Latapy a key component of his "Strike Squad" 20 years ago, admitted that he had few details about the Falkirk star's new role as "player/coach", but said he had a lot to offer local football.

"Who wouldn't be happy to have the Little Magician?" asked Cummings, who is a sport director at the University of Trinidad and Tobago (UTT). "I don't know the logistics of the whole situation and if he is coming more as a player or as a coach.

Retired national goalkeeper and Football Players Association of Trinidad and Tobago (FPATT) president Shaka Hislop, who was Latapy's teammate at the 2006 World Cup, also congratulated the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) on their choice.

"I think it is an appointment that is not only inevitable but long overdue," said Hislop, who works as an ESPN football analyst. "For the first time, we have players who played abroad at the highest level and have the opportunity to go into coaching and we have to make the most of that."

CLICO San Juan Jabloteh assistant coach and Trinidad and Tobago's most capped international player, Angus Eve, feels that Latapy could lift the country's 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign, as he did for the 2006 series.

"I think the guys always look up to 'Latas' and the Trinidad public love him to be in and around the team," said Eve. "He is always a 'pick me up' and he was definitely a lift for the guys in the last campaign."

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 06:27:11 AM »

ALL HAIL LATAPY

Corneal pointed out that Latapy's record as assistant coach for unheralded Scotland Premier League team, Falkirk FC, offered little clues as to whether he could succeed.

"I am not going to challenge Russell's ability to coach because I don't know it. But a lot of people will be saying that he was a great player so he would be a great appointment. I disagree with it on that basis."

Corneal, whose son Anton is assistant to present T&T head coach, Colombian Francisco Maturana, and was understudy to Dutchmen Leo Beenhakker and Wim Rijsbergen, believes Latapy will return primarily as a player. And he think it appears to be a panicked decision.

"I cannot comment on Latapy's form now because Falkirk is struggling and he has not played much for them this season. But maybe someone in the TTFF is more aware of his present condition."
SOUR gnikcuf GRAPES, POPS :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 06:54:20 AM »
I go be real happy de day when I hear that Anton Corneal has been relieved of his duties as assistant coach of the national team.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 07:33:16 AM »
hear allyuh...anton anton anton...before we stress the fact that get Fu#king maturana and the TTFF out..is anton anton anton...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 08:25:24 AM »
hear allyuh...anton anton anton...before we stress the fact that get Fu#king maturana and the TTFF out..is anton anton anton...

Nah well man really commentating on the bitterness of the Corneals in this article....

Yeah but Maturana need to go long time.. he ent leading at all!
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 09:38:27 AM »

ALL HAIL LATAPY

Cummings also felt that Latapy's best role was not as a player.

"He would be interfering with the development of our programme, providing there is a programme," he said. "We need to start to develop other Latapys and not have the same person playing until he is 50 years."

It is still unclear how Latapy would fit into the present coaching set-up.

Eve explained that coaches usually select their own assistants to be sure there is a mutual philosophy. He does not know how Maturana would handle Latapy's inclusion if he did not request it in the first place.

"I cannot comment on Russell as a coach because I do not know what he brings as a coach," said Eve. "If Maturana handles the structure of the team and Latapy brings the flair, it can be a good combination if they mesh together."

Cummings and Hislop, both local sporting Hall of Famers, cannot wait for Latapy to inherit the top coaching post, though.

"With no disrespect to Anton (Corneal), I feel Russell has better credentials to eventually take over on a full-time basis," said Hislop. "Time will tell how the staff relationship works with Russell's inclusion, but I think it is time Russell is given the opportunity to impart his experience both in the short-term and in the long-term.

"I think Russell has a long-term future in coaching and I think Trinidad and Tobago is in a great position to capitalise on that. I can only hope that the powers-that-be share my enthusiasm."

And here I was celebrating first thinking that Latapy replace Maturana!
So when does Maturana ride out?
Anton can be Latapy's assitant once Maturana rides out!!  :idea:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 09:57:41 AM »
Big, that will never happen
JackAssClownTroop (aka TTFF) will be here for a very long time........how many sons Jack Ass have again? ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 10:05:28 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 10:04:48 AM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

yuh cah beat Alvin Corneal for unabashed bias eh!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 10:12:57 AM »

Alvin hasn't said anything wrong there.  He statin facts.

However, despite having a whole lot more opportunities and experience, Alvin's own record as a coach is disturbingly similar.  He's never done anything substantial in terms of results at any level of the game.  At least Latas nmow startin out.  If Latas was to coach a SSFL team to any of the 3 titles on offer, far less his Falkirk reserve squad to the reserve championship, he would have already surpassed Alvin's coaching achievements during his entire career.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 10:13:51 AM »
Corneal have the gall to mention Guerra, them have rel belly yes.

The ma trying toplay down Latas yes.

What did his son do that was substantial enough to give him all the chanceshe have gottenso far?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 10:23:33 AM »

Fully aboard with the premise and the vision. Undecided  :-\ as to whether long overdue or how long overdue, but I follow the direction of Shaka's advocacy.

Offline PIMP

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 10:32:02 AM »

"With no disrespect to Anton (Corneal), I feel Russell has better credentials to eventually take over on a full-time basis," said Hislop.

Well said Shaka, Anton led this country to the last under 17 wc where we get we ass cut (14 goals conceded in 3 games). he definitely needs to go as he has not proven himself to be a winner.
I think Latas will bring about a certain imagination and creativity to the side that has been lacking under the Maturana era....both as a player and coach...

At the end of the day its about tnt.....not about the corneals!!!!

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 10:35:01 AM »

ALL HAIL LATAPY

Allyuh believe this??? The man call Guerra name, the same Guerra they been refusing to pick for how long now? Damn hypocrite
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 10:36:01 AM »
what we need to do is get raid of the entire cornmeal staff and maturana also .. then bring in Latas and Cummings to run de flicking show.. everybody and dey nanny get back a chance to run de national team how come cummings aint never get to try back .
war...
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 11:08:22 AM »
Corneal have the gall to mention Guerra, them have rel belly yes.
Boy I read de "offline" version of this story while ah eating mih lunch and nearly  choke when I read that....dem fellas good yes....real good....

Now I really curious as to why Guerra eh play since before the England game, cuz is obviously not he talent holding him back!!!....steups!!...
Look let mih goh and do mih wuk yes.....steups!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 11:22:03 AM »
Dat man is d best ALVIN TAKE A BOWWWWWWWWWWWW. Guerra u say I must read wrong need 2 check meh glasses perscription not Guerra
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 11:48:38 AM »
Alvin Corneal is an asshole. Anton should get demoted, let him continue to coach de youth team and let Latapy take over. Alvin does give Anton a bad reputition.

Is Anton is incharge of de entire system ? I hope not...

Latapy deserve a chance !!!!

I love this move.... and he can still play better than any midfield we have going forward. Guerra will learn under Latapy..

Good move TTFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 12:02:13 PM »
I so tired of Alvin flappin his gums...always a "but" in everything.  To me in sound like his comments towards Latas is just because he feels that Anton's role is now threatened. Cheups...Alvin, cool yuh peggie.
well yes

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 12:41:31 PM »
Latas appointment is a real good thing, especially for team morale.  All the players respect latas, including the guys playing abroad. As coach or player he will bring the level of confidence up

1]; } ?>