April 24, 2024, 11:58:31 PM

Author Topic: Linesman gives goal that never was !  (Read 3329 times)

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Linesman gives goal that never was !
« on: September 23, 2008, 08:41:02 AM »
check dis out. linesman assistant refereee gives a goal that never happened

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6tsva_watford-reading-no-goal_sport

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7628234.stm

The Football League has ruled out replaying Saturday's controversial game between Watford and Reading.

Assistant referee Nigel Bannister mistakenly awarded Reading's first goal in the 2-2 draw after the ball had gone wide of the post.

Royals boss Steve Coppell said he would not object to a replay but Watford said they were not seeking another game.

The League's chief operating officer Andy Williamson confirmed the decision to award the goal was final.

"The laws of the game give no discretion in these matters," said Williamson. "The referee's decision regarding whether a goal is scored or not is final and binding.

Royals captain Murty demands help for refs
"Given this explicit position, the League cannot intervene."

The 'goal' was registered as an own goal by Watford's John Eustace.

He thought his side had been given a goal-kick after a corner had hit him and gone out of play before being hooked back in by Reading's Noel Hunt.

Assistant referee Bannister advised referee Stuart Atwell to give the goal, to the horror of the Watford players.

The linesman has decided it's a goal. I've asked him about it and he said it was an optical illusion

Watford boss Aidy Boothroyd
Watford said they would accept any Football League verdict but highlighted their unhappiness with the standard of refereeing in the Championship.

"During the course of last season alone Watford were subject to six major decisions which saw the issuing of red card, 50% of which were subsequently rescinded," said the Watford statement.

"The club will abide by any Football League decision, but remains deeply disappointed at the standards of professional officiating it was exposed to in this fixture."

Everyone makes mistakes

Reading winger Stephen Hunt

Before the League made the decision Reading keeper Marcus Hahnemann had told BBC Radio 5 Live that he believed replaying the game would set a dangerous precedent.

For their part Watford said they wanted to know if the yellow cards given to their players in the row following the decision to give the goal would stand.

The Professional Game Match Officials Board (PGMOB) released a statement after reviewing the incident.

"It is clear that the ball did not cross the goal-line between the goalposts," it said.

"According to the Laws of the Game, the decision of the referee, regarding facts connected with play are final and that includes whether a goal is scored or not.

606: DEBATE
Had to send a letter to the FA after the worst decision in football history. Reading players all knew this was a farce even the manager knew it and did nothing!

Tom_Fullery 

"The referee cannot change that decision once the game has been restarted.

"Football is a human game played at a fast pace where mistakes are made by players and match officials alike.

"We regret this error of judgement and will now work with the officials concerned to determine how this occurred in an attempt to minimise such mistakes in the future."

Former Premier League referee Graham Poll said the decision was inexplicable and had sympathy for the Watford players and manager, Aidy Boothroyd, who was sent to the stands after remonstrating with the officials.

Poll told BBC Radio 5 Live: "This is the most bizarre situation I've ever seen in 40 years watching football and 27 years refereeing.

"I heard about it then watched the highlights thinking 'it can't be how it's described', but it is. He (Bannister) has got a clear view of it. It's completely inexplicable.

"The referee must be respected, obviously, but in such circumstances, as a player, how do you not lose your temper?"

After the match, Boothroyd told BBC London 94.9: "I went to see the referee and in fairness to him, although he wasn't brilliant today, you can't blame him if there's a guy in his ear telling him it's a goal.

"The linesman has decided it's a goal. I've asked him about it and he said it was an optical illusion.

"I saw the ball go out for a goal-kick and my centre-half has put his hand up and asked for the goal-kick and for some strange reason a goal has been given."

Boothroyd rejected the idea that the Reading players should have allowed Watford to score following the error.

"I don't expect players to take things into their own hands. It's not up to them," he added.

"If someone stops you in a car park and gives you a present you don't say no do you?" 
Watford's players confront the officials after the controversial goal

Coppell also played down the emphasis on the players to take action.

"The responsibility is not with the opposition to right a wrong. It is up to the officials to get it as right as they can," said Coppell.

Reading winger Stephen Hunt was bemused by the decision but tried to alleviate the blame from referee Atwell.

Hunt said: "It was a screamer! No, it was probably the worst decision I have ever witnessed.

"We can't do anything about it. It's not our mistake, but what can you do? You can't say 'no ref, it wasn't in'.

"He seemed all right. He's a young referee. But after this he'll probably be sitting at home next week.

"I've had him before and he's been all right. It was just a bad day at the office. He talks, he respects you and you respect him.

"I can understand Watford's frustration, but everyone makes mistakes."

« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:44:46 AM by superoli »
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Linesman gives goal that never was !
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:45:33 AM »
"Former Premier League referee Graham Poll said the decision was inexplicable and had sympathy for the Watford players and manager, Aidy Boothroyd, who was sent to the stands after remonstrating with the officials.
Poll told BBC Radio 5 Live: "This is the most bizarre situation I've ever seen in 40 years watching football and 27 years refereeing."

my pet peeve
Video replay would have straightened this whole mess out one time
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 08:47:26 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 09:18:15 AM »
Wait, I now reading dis thing again..."Former Premier League referee Graham Poll..."

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Graham Poll DARE put he name near anything having to do with poor officiating/officiating mistakes?   

I di'n even know dey fire him, lol

Offline gothic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 09:40:46 AM »
i thought he retired

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 09:55:19 AM »
With regards to whether the players have a responsibility or not, this seems no different than "walking" in cricket.

Coppell & Hunt say it's not their responsibility and I say dat is assness.  If you as a player KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that a decision like that is wrong, put yuh hand up and say so.

Is not players responsibility to kick de ball out to touch when an opponent is deemed to be injured during play but they do it anyway, so why is this any different?

Daz a dotish argument.  And the League themselves takin a very wrong take on it.  If they replay de game they would be setting a very bad precedent.  As if allowing an incident like this to stand is not bad precedent enough.  They in essence saying we would rather get it wrong than try to rectify the situation with a replay, which the team that "scored" had no objection to by the way. 

In this era of big money, where promotion or relegation can mean millions top clubs, some where it can make a difference of whether they continue to be financially viable or not, "mistakes" like this cannot be an option.  You could imagine if at the end of the season, Watford misses out on promotion to the EPL by 2 points?  The technology exists to get it right.  USE IT!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:56:03 AM »
Wait, I now reading dis thing again..."Former Premier League referee Graham Poll..."
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Graham Poll DARE put he name near anything having to do with poor officiating/officiating mistakes?   
I di'n even know dey fire him, lol
:rotfl: :rotfl:
"During a English Premier League match between Portsmouth F.C. and Arsenal F.C. Poll disallowed a Niko Kranjcar goal. This goal would have put Portsmouth into the UEFA Cup for the first time. Poll said the goal was disallowed for offside, but replays show Kranjcar was clearly onside. This angered many Portsmouth fans. The game ended 0-0. Harry Redknapp withdrew his offer of a glass of vintage French wine after the game. Poll was nonchelant at the withdrawal, allegedly stating 'That bottle of wine is the closest you'll get to Europe next season, 'Arry'. :devil: The pair had to be separated by Richard Hughes and Tony Adams."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Poll
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 10:08:08 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 10:14:39 AM »
With regards to whether the players have a responsibility or not, this seems no different than "walking" in cricket.

Coppell & Hunt say it's not their responsibility and I say dat is assness.  If you as a player KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that a decision like that is wrong, put yuh hand up and say so.

Is not players responsibility to kick de ball out to touch when an opponent is deemed to be injured during play but they do it anyway, so why is this any different?

Daz a dotish argument.  And the League themselves takin a very wrong take on it.  If they replay de game they would be setting a very bad precedent.  As if allowing an incident like this to stand is not bad precedent enough.  They in essence saying we would rather get it wrong than try to rectify the situation with a replay, which the team that "scored" had no objection to by the way. 

In this era of big money, where promotion or relegation can mean millions top clubs, some where it can make a difference of whether they continue to be financially viable or not, "mistakes" like this cannot be an option.  You could imagine if at the end of the season, Watford misses out on promotion to the EPL by 2 points?  The technology exists to get it right.  USE IT!

i agree with this palos..

there has to be some expectation for sportsmanship at the end of the day.

i remember a few years ago, I think it was Zola was advancing on an empty net with the keeper lying injured and proceeded to kick the ball out of touch instead of scoring the goal.. All that played into his legendary status.

the goalscoring team coulda put they hand up and say something.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 10:20:44 AM »

i remember a few years ago, I think it was Zola was advancing on an empty net with the keeper lying injured and proceeded to kick the ball out of touch instead of scoring the goal.. All that played into his legendary status.

Fuh real.  Decisions like these doh encourage sportsmanship.  On the contrary, they encourage the opposite.  And then de league does turn around and say players have no "respect" fuh other players and officials, launch a big fluffy marketin campaign to eradicate it, and fine them when they show dissent.  What forkin HYPOCRISY!

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 10:44:29 AM »
I think that was Di Canio that kick the ball out
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 10:55:04 AM »
I think that was Di Canio that kick the ball out

Di Canio caught the ball instead of heading into an "open goal" because the goalie pulled a muscle when rushing out to intercept...

He wasn't guaranteed to score, but it was a very sportsmanlike gesture:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKrGjuSFw9g

He got recognition by FIFA for it I believe...

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 11:01:18 AM »

Ent! Dem Englishmen always qucik to talk about sportsmanship & how they does play fair, don't dive, would not punch the ball into the net tralala tralala and everyone else cheating.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 11:26:34 AM »
Yep d Brits are d fairest of d fair loud steupssssssssss
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 11:50:07 AM »

Yuh wish it was Zola.

It was Di Canio.

Agree with the sentiment though. All it would have took was for one of the Reading players to question the ref and he would have consulted his linesman and given him a chance to reassess.

No guarantee that the decision would be overturned but at least they would have tried.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 11:51:49 AM »
yeah oh gosh, ah say "ah tink was zola"..

doh bite meh head off..

was di canio.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 11:55:10 AM »
yeah oh gosh, ah say "ah tink was zola"..

doh bite meh head off..

was di canio.

Yuh lumping all Italians in the same bucket and can't distinguish one from another...you're a racist  ;D  ;)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 12:03:39 PM »
I have one question,can any one give an instance or last time a game was replayed for some incident,mistake or otherwise by a Referee/some official?

The last time i remember one was(can't remember the year)Downer got the SSFL to replay a St Augustine game because the width of the lines on the field was not the required dimention. 

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 12:17:29 PM »
I have one question,can any one give an instance or last time a game was replayed for some incident,mistake or otherwise by a Referee/some official?

The last time i remember one was(can't remember the year)Downer got the SSFL to replay a St Augustine game because the width of the lines on the field was not the required dimention. 

Arsenal replayed a game where the team threw back the ball and Kanu pressured it won the ball and scored. I believe against Seffield and Wenger and Arsenal agreed to a replay. Also FIFA made Bahrain replay a crazy game in the WCQ for 2006, that was a weird one.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »
"The linesman has decided it's a goal. I've asked him about it and he said it was an optical illusion."  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Watford boss Aidy Boothroyd
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 12:42:24 PM »

Should they also put their hand up and tell the referee he got an offside call wrong if the call disallows a legitimate goal for the opposing team?

Officiating errors are unfortunately part of the game... it's good sportsmanship, but ultimately not the players' responsibility to correct them.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 12:56:24 PM »

Should they also put their hand up and tell the referee he got an offside call wrong if the call disallows a legitimate goal for the opposing team?

Officiating errors are unfortunately part of the game... it's good sportsmanship, but ultimately not the players' responsibility to correct them.

I think there's a slight difference between this incident and an offside call.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 01:00:59 PM »

If the ball didn't enter the goal....not talking about whether it crossed the line or not, but whether or not it was even in between the posts, and it was given as a goal to my team, I might step up and tell the ref that it wasn't a goal...not sure if it would make a difference, but that call was just ridiculous...

On a close offside call (most of them at least) it's kinda impractical....but this scenario was kind of an outlier where I think the players could have spoken up....to what avail I dunno.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 01:16:25 PM »
what tiefing my head is de relative positions of de referee and de linesman....

now it ent too clear exactly where the referee was but he had to have been in an infinitely better position than de linesman... even if he was obstructed he must have had a clear idea as to de general position of the ball.. which was nowhere close to the goal...

AND why would an attacking player hook the ball out de goal?  ???
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 01:28:18 PM »

Gawd... work with mih nuh, kinda hard tuh come up with de perfect analogy.

If the ball didn't enter the goal....not talking about whether it crossed the line or not, but whether or not it was even in between the posts, and it was given as a goal to my team, I might step up and tell the ref that it wasn't a goal...not sure if it would make a difference, but that call was just ridiculous...

On a close offside call (most of them at least) it's kinda impractical....but this scenario was kind of an outlier where I think the players could have spoken up....to what avail I dunno.

Would be nice to see, but I understand the position of the Reading players...if you notice, it's not like it happened instantaneously and they started celebrating the 'goal'. They kept playing... instead of trying to inveigle the ref by appealing for the non-goal.  I'm sure they were just as initially puzzled by the call.  When a ref makes such a decision the players are powerless to do anything about it.  For all we know a couple probably did go up to him discreetly and tell him it wasn't a goal.  Like I said I all for sportsmanship (remember, I's de man draw heat for criticizing players for celebrating too much) but to say that it's their 'sporting' duty to do so... I just won't go that far.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 01:51:40 PM »

Gawd... work with mih nuh, kinda hard tuh come up with de perfect analogy.

Would be nice to see, but I understand the position of the Reading players...if you notice, it's not like it happened instantaneously and they started celebrating the 'goal'. They kept playing... instead of trying to inveigle the ref by appealing for the non-goal.  I'm sure they were just as initially puzzled by the call.  When a ref makes such a decision the players are powerless to do anything about it.  For all we know a couple probably did go up to him discreetly and tell him it wasn't a goal.  Like I said I all for sportsmanship (remember, I's de man draw heat for criticizing players for celebrating too much) but to say that it's their 'sporting' duty to do so... I just won't go that far.

Well if they had started to celebrate and appeal for a goal where the ball didn't even land between the post that woulda been a sight to behold  ;D.  I too thought about whether or not any players approached the ref to say it wasn't a goal- which is why I say I dunno what that kinda sportsmanship would yield.... Agree sportsmanship is not a duty per se...but in a way it is.

End of day it's the officials' fault...no debate there.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 03:29:07 PM »
as we were on the topic of sportsmanship, look at what took place in the Serie A this weekend gone:

Brienza applauded for fair play gesture

Franco Brienza has been receiving praise from all over the peninsula for his act of sportsmanship at Palermo at the weekend.

With a goalless score line at the Barbera stadium, the Reggina striker refused to continue playing despite having only the goalkeeper to beat because two players had clashed heads, a gesture which the 29-year-old admitted he would repeat even at the expense of his team.

He said: "I saw [Bernardo] Corradi and [Federico] Balzaretti banged heads and instinctively I ran onto the ball ahead of the defenders but in the meantime the image of the clash had replayed in my mind and my instinct was to stop.

"What I did was best from a sporting point of view. I'd rather not score so I may get some youngsters enthusiastic about the game."

The decision to halt play without the intervention of the referee was hailed from all quarters of the game, from Stefano Farina, the official whose hesitation made Brienza's act necessary to Marco Amelia, the Palermo goalkeeper.

The side from Calabria eventually lost the encounter 1-0 to tumble to their fourth defeat in five games, rooting them to second bottom spot and prompting voices of dissent from the Amaranti support.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8625862/A-stroll-through-Italy-and-the-Serie-A

1]; } ?>