March 28, 2024, 06:50:45 AM

Author Topic: Marvin Andrews Thread.  (Read 16723 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Marvin Andrews
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2014, 12:06:26 PM »
One of my favourite players of all time!
I was disappointed he didn't get on the pitch during the world cup after doing all the hard work to get us there...
All the best Dawg!  :beermug:

CO-SIGNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marvin Andrews moves on from Elgin City
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 09:22:18 PM »
Marvin Andrews moves on from Elgin City
The Northern Scot

FORMER Rangers defender Marvin Andrews has parted company with Elgin City.

Manager Jim Weir revealed the 101-times capped Trinidad and Tobago international has been released from his contract.

Andrews (39) joined Elgin in August as a favour to previous boss Barry Wilson, and inspired them to two home wins during a three-match trial period before penning a deal until the end of the season.

However, Wilson’s departure from the Elgin hotseat and the arrival of Weir late in November has brought the experienced defender’s time in Moray to a premature end.

The Moray side, who ended a 12-game league run without victory with a 3-2 success at Montrose on Saturday, have brought in teenage St Johnstone loan duo Ally Gilchrist and Craig Thomson.

Weir revealed Andrews' departure from City after a spell lasting 17 games.

"Marvin came in as part of an agreement with Barry and was totally honest with us about that," he said. "I work a different way and it just meant that for me to improve things I was going to find it difficult working with the situation the way it was.

"Both parties agreed to part company in an amicable fashion, so I’m delighted with that."

City’s run without a league win, which saw them gain just 5 league points from a possible 36 and plunge to the bottom of the league, was ended by a solid display in Angus.

A Dennis Wyness strike and an own goal gave Elgin a two-goal cushion at the break, though they should have been further ahead. Montrose pulled one back and threatened to level before sub Craig Gunn struck late on, with a second home goal in stoppage time failing to deny City a long awaited success.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 08:34:37 AM »
Marvin Andrews has signed with Montrose FC until the end of the season.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 06:03:54 PM »
Dog is a serious baller yes, he might be sweating til 60, big respect dog!
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Montrose become Marvin Andrews' 14th club
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 06:12:14 PM »
Montrose become Marvin Andrews' 14th club
BBC Sport

Former Trinidad and Tobago defender Marvin Andrews has made Montrose his 14th club.

The 39-year-old has signed at Links Park until the end of the season after leaving Scottish League Two rivals Elgin City.

Andrews, capped 101 times for his country, made 14 appearances for City this season, scoring twice, for the side sitting bottom of the table.

Montrose lie five points above the Black and Whites in eighth.

But Elgin, who appointed Jim Weir as manager in November after Barry Wilson's resignation, have two games in hand.

Andrews had not played for Elgin since 6 December and made his debut for his new club in Saturday's 2-2 draw away to leaders Arbroath.

He first came to Scotland in 1997 to join Raith Rovers - to whom he has returned twice - after playing for ECM Motown, San Juan Jabloteh and Malta Carib Alcons in his homeland.

Andrews went on to play for Livingston, Rangers, Hamilton Academical, Queen of the South, Wrexham, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy and Albion Rovers before spending last season with Forfar Athletic in League One.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 09:20:06 AM »
I think he should get a FA coaching badge, in addition to his preacher's badge.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 01:50:55 PM »
Here nah, Dog knees either bionic or truly blessed by God yes.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2015, 03:30:51 PM »
I going wit de latter
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2015, 08:30:51 PM »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2015, 09:21:03 AM »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2015, 08:43:43 PM »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2015, 01:56:07 PM »
Buss up the net today. See fans throwing him in the air.  :beermug:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2015, 08:20:16 AM »
No divine intervention needed as Marvin Andrews helps Montrose secure SPFL status
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-match-reports/montrose-3-brora-1-agg-5711702

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2015, 10:07:37 AM »
WATCH Marvin Andrews score the game-winner for Montrose against Brora Rangers which help them to maintain their Scottish Football League status.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/32qHrhIYnzc?start=32" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/32qHrhIYnzc?start=32</a>

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2015, 06:34:20 PM »
This dude is my hero!   :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Prayers answered for Marvin Andrews
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2015, 12:34:15 PM »
Prayers answered for Marvin Andrews
By Neil Robertson (The Courier)

Nearly 10 years to the day that he helped Rangers pip Celtic to the SPL title on “Helicopter Sunday”, Marvin Andrews was key as Montrose held on to their place in League Two by beating another Rangers, this time from Brora.

The big centre-half was immense throughout the incredibly high-pressure game and also scored the vital second goal that drew the Gable Endies level on aggregate.

The deeply-religious former Trinidad and Tobago international admitted he prayed for help from above on the morning of the game, although unlike a decade ago, he was not wearing one of his famous “Believe” T-shirts.

He said: “It is next Friday, the 22nd which is the 10-year anniversary.

“And a week before, this has come and happened for me.

“I saw an interview with (former Rangers team-mate) Alex Rae in the papers where he is saying Marvin believed but that he didn’t believe.

“It was just so amazing and that is why I am still playing football at 39.

“You can’t just sit in the house. You can’t miss an opportunity like this. I am very happy to be part of it.

“I believed this morning, I prayed to God this morning and he delivered once again for me.

“I cannot thank God enough for what he has done for me and the entire Montrose club and fans.

“I didn’t have a Believe T-shirt this time as football has changed and you can’t do that sort of stuff anymore!

“So I left it in the house and just encouraged the guys to let them know that these sorts of opportunities only come along once in a lifetime.

“I am so happy to be part of this. When I came to Montrose Football Club, I was hoping to just help keep them in the league.

“But I never thought I would be part of this dramatic play-off . . . it’s just amazing.”

“Dramatic” is certainly the right word to describe this match.

The stakes were incredibly high for Montrose who went into the game trailing 1-0 after last week’s first leg in the Highlands.

If they failed to triumph on Saturday, then the Angus side would have been consigned to the Highland League next season with the very future of the club thrown into doubt.

Montrose took the lead in the 37th minute after Brora keeper Joe Malin saved a Ross Campbell shot but could only palm it towards Scott Johnston who gleefully rifled the ball home from eight yards.

However, just two minutes after the restart, Brora scored when Colin Maclean headed past Stuart McKenzie in the Montrose goal to put the Highlanders back ahead in the tie.

However, moments later, Brora skipper Steven Mackay, who had been booked in the first half, made a reckless, mistimed challenge on Graham Webster and was shown a second yellow followed by red by referee John McKendrick.

Montrose piled on the pressure against the 10 men but were becoming frustrated before Andrews came to the rescue in the 76th minute.

Andrew Steeves fired in a corner from the Montrose right and the big centre-half rose majestically to bullet a header past Malin from close range to draw the home side level on aggregate.

Just a minute later, Gable Endies skipper Garry Wood sent the home fans wild when he hit a wonder strike from more than 30 yards into the top corner of Malin’s net to give his side the lead in the tie.

That third goal knocked the stuffing out of Brora and the final whistle was greeted with unbridled joy among the home fans with hundreds racing onto the pitch. At one point, Andrews was even hoisted high by some supporters in front of the TV cameras.

The player admitted that before he scored, he had started to have doubts it just might not be Montrose’s day.

He said: “It was looking very difficult for us.

“It wasn’t the best of starts for us in the second half. We conceded a very cheap goal out of nothing to let them equalise.

“As a defender, I was really disappointed with the goal we lost and the manner in which we conceded it as well.

“That put us under pressure but then they got a man sent off.

“We were bombarding their goal and you are thinking it is going to be one of those games.

“Then a great corner came in and that changed everything.

“Everyone knows Marvin Andrews and when that ball is coming, I have been brought up to win it at all costs.

“That is my strong point and it is what I do as a defender.

“I have done it all of my career.

“This is why you play football. What happened today is why people support football because the game turned on its head in just two minutes.

“It was just amazing but I have to give great credit to Brora.

“They put a shift in and really showed that they wanted to get into the SPFL.”

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2015, 12:09:55 PM »
This dude is my hero!   :beermug:

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNN

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Marvin Andrews Thread.
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2015, 02:17:34 AM »
Andrews thrilled with Liverpool victory.
T&T Newsday Reports.

MARVIN ANDREWS, the former Trinidad and Tobago footballer, was thrilled to play an instrumental role in Liverpool’s triumph, by a 3-1 margin over the Caribbean All Stars, in Sunday’s final of the Tobago Legends Football Challenge at the Dwight Yorke Stadium, Bacolet.

“An amazing feeling,” was how the 39-year-old Andrews described his participation at the weekend event. “As a young boy growing up, I watched Liverpool play in the English Premier League, and play in a Cup Final against Everton (with) John Barnes and Ian Rush.

“I always had a place in my heart for Liverpool FC and I always said in an interview many years ago, that I would play for Liverpool one day. I never know it came up in this tournament,” added Andrews, who is more commonly known as “Dog”. “I’m really grateful.”

Andrews was a late addition to the team, and he admitted, “I actually left my house coming to support Dennis (Lawrence etc) and the Caribbean All Stars team and I got a text message from one of the organisers (which) said ‘Marv, can you play? Liverpool (are) short at this moment in time. Will you fill in and play?’

“I said ‘yes, I’ll take up that opportunity because I’m still fit and active’. I took that opportunity and it turned out to be really well for me. So I’m very grateful to God for that.”

Andrews has been living and playing in Scotland since 1997, when he left Malta Carib Alcons to play with Raith Rovers. He also had stints at a number of clubs, including Livingston and Rangers.

Questioned about how things are with his career in Scotland, he responded, “really, really well. I play with Elgin City for the first half of the season and then I left in January and went to Montrose.”

Trinidad and Tobago football has been rocked by the recent scandal involving former football football administrative honcho Jack Warner.

Andrews noted, “I just see what is in the media, just like everybody else. I cannot make any assessment or any judgement on anything until the final verdict has been made. At this moment is just speculation, is just loads of accusation.

The muscular-built central defender continued, “as I always tell people, hopefully the truth will come out one day and we can get everything resolved. But my biggest concern is not only with the Warner issue but for the young people of Trinidad and Tobago who are aspiring to be professional footballers and help our country to qualify for a second World Cup. And that is my greatest fear at this moment in time.”

Commenting on the on-field issues, Andrews said, “it’s just a pyramid effect. Once there is problems with the TTFA, once there is problems at the higher (ranks), it will affect the national team, it will affect the players.

“It will be difficult for many of the players but hopefully it can build character in them and let them show what they can do and make people see that its not only when things are going well, but in difficult times we can still stand up for our country and go and give a fight in every game,” he ended..

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2015, 02:29:04 PM »
Evergreen!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2015, 09:27:47 AM »
He really plan to play until he 40.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2015, 10:41:15 AM »
Maybe he plans to break, or maybe already has broken, the record for the most (almost all) teams that he signed for in Scotland.
Keep on representing Dog.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2015, 11:17:03 AM »
He must be trying a Stanley Mathews!!!

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2015, 11:52:18 AM »
managed to catch the rangers game a few weekends past with some scottish old-timers and was pleased to hear marvin on the play-by-play. he's good! the game starting to sound like a cricket match - loved it!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2015, 12:27:31 PM »
managed to catch the rangers game a few weekends past with some scottish old-timers and was pleased to hear marvin on the play-by-play. he's good! the game starting to sound like a cricket match - loved it!

He get plenty kudos for dat. Apparently de fans asking for him to be ah regular in de commentary booth.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marvin Andrews joins Clyde FC
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2015, 09:35:50 AM »
Marvin Andrews joins Clyde FC
clydefc.co.uk

The club is pleased to announce that Marvin Andrews and Anthony Higgins have joined the first team squad, after both men agreed amateur terms with The Bully Wee.

Their arrival comes ahead of expected loan moves in the opposite direction in the near future.

Andrews needs little introduction, having featured in the Scottish game for nearly 20 years. Throughout that time, he featured for several clubs, most notably Raith Rovers, Livingston and Rangers. The big centre half also collected a superb 101 caps for his country, Trinidad and Tobago.

Higgins, 19, is at the opposite end of his career and recently left Cowdenbeath. The forward - younger brother of new team-mate Sean - has also been on the books at Alloa and St. Johnstone and will be hoping to grab any first team opportunities that come his way.

Clyde manager Barry Ferguson spoke to the official website about the squad developments:-

"I know Marvin well and I also played with him. He's been training with us for a few weeks now and his fitness levels are good. He will provide more backup and more experience in the centre half position; I like to have at least four players in that position in my squad. He isn't going to cost the club anything and he's a fantastic person to have in the dressing room - I don't think anyone that's played with him would disagree with that.

"Anthony was with us during pre-season and I liked him straight away. He then had a trial with an SPL club, but the move fell through, so he's been back with us recently. He's raw but I can see something in him and he's also willing to learn. He's a completely different type of player to Sean and there's no way he is here just because of his brother, he's spent a lot of time training with us and I can see a lot of potential in him.

"We are close to sending one or two players out on loan in the near future so, with a small squad, it was also important that we added some extra cover and options."

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2015, 04:12:18 PM »
 :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marvin is the man
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2015, 04:49:11 PM »
Marvin is the man
Cumbernauld News

Marvin Andrews may have only signed on for Clyde on an amateur basis, but his acquisition paid an immediate dividend at Elgin on Saturday.

Boss Barry Ferguson handed his former Rangers team-mate a debut for the the Bully Wee and was rewarded with a vital goal from the veteran defender.

Andrews grabbed a vital strike to cancel out an early opener from the Borough Briggs side and ensure that Clyde returned from the Highlands with an important point.

Barry Ferguson made three changes to the team following the draw with Berwick the previous week.

As well as Andrews, starting slots also went to Mark McLaughlin and Scott Ferguson with Michael Bolochoweckyj, David Marsh and Archie Campbell the three to miss out.

Elgin made the better start and took the lead after 13 minutes when Daryl McHardy headed home from a corner by Daniel Moore.

Clyde rallied and Scott Ferguson had a ‘goal’ disallowed before the visitors drew level in 28 minutes, Andrews scrambling the ball home after his header was blocked.

Sean Higgins missed an opening to give Clyde a half-time advantage while after the break Elgin looked more dangerous.

In the closing stages both ’keepers had to make saves but there was no further scoring.

The draw means Clyde, after three wins in a row, have now gone three games without a victory and sixth in the table, but just three points behind leaders Annan.

The Black and Whites probably had the better of the second half overall, but both ‘keepers were forced into action late in the game to ensure a final score of 1-1.

Clyde will face a quickfire return to the Highlands later this month after the draw for the second round handed them a trip to face Highland League leaders Formartine United.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Doors to Raith’s Hall of Fame open for big Marv
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2016, 04:18:08 PM »
Doors to Raith’s Hall of Fame open for big Marv
fifetoday.co.uk

He’s one of the most recognisable and colourful characters to have donned the shirt of Raith Rovers and now Marvin Andrews has been added to the club’s list of legends in the Hall of Fame.

The popular defender, who had three different spells at Stark’s Park, is the first of this year’s inductees to be voted for by the fans via the Hall of Fame email address raithinductee@gmail.com.

Speaking to the Press, Marvin, who has lived in Kirkcaldy since first arriving in 1997, says he is still pinching himself at the news.

“It’s a good feeling to be nominated and to join all the great players of the past,” he said. “It’s part of the club’s history and it’s a pleasure to be named.”

Marvin’s first spell at the club came in when he was signed in 1998 by Jimmy Nicholl.

“I came over in 1997 and signed my first contract in February 1998 and ever since then Rovers have been great with me and will always have a special place in my heart,” he said. “They took a chance on me by bringing me over from Trinidad and Tobago and gave me the platform to show what I can do and helped to put me on the road to go to achieve all that I have in the game. I can’t thank them enough and I can’t thank God enough.

“For a foreigner to come over to Scotland and for the fans to take to me they way they have and nominate me is brilliant.”

John Greer, of the organising committee, says Marvin’s induction is thoroughly merited. “He has the record for being the most capped player ever to play for the Rovers having played over 100 time for Trinidad and Tobago,” he said. “When he came back for his second spell in 2006, Gordon Brown was instrumental in getting him to sign as part of the ‘Reclaim The Rovers’ campaign.

“He then came back for a third spell under John McGlynn and played a huge part in getting the club back to the First Division in 2009.”

For Marvin, who played 145 times for the club and scored 14 goals, that title win is one of his happiest memories.

“I was just coming back from a knee injury and John McGlynn asked me to come back for the last 11 games of the season and help get the club across the finish line and get back to the First Division.

“We managed it and to get a medal and the trophy was a great achievement.

“I remember the game against Arbroath. It was absolutely pouring with rain. I think if we hadn’t been getting the trophy that day they would have called it off – I went for a diving header and ended up coming up smiling with a face full of mud!

“I’ve got some great memories and I thank God every day for bringing me to Kirkcaldy and to Raith Rovers. I’m truly blessed to have played for them.”

The 40-year-old currently finds himself without a club and is busy starting up a new health and wellbeing business but “if a club does come in for me I’m ready. I don’t want to hang my boots up just yet”.

Now he is looking forward to the sold-out Hall of Fame night on November 7 and says he expects it to be “emotional”.

“I’ll be trying hard not to shed any tears,” he said. “It’s a great honour and I’m so grateful.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Marvin Andrews talks football, faith, Fernando, car karaoke and Rangers
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2016, 09:01:16 AM »
Marvin Andrews talks football, faith, Fernando, car karaoke and the 'greatness' of Rangers
By Christopher Jack (The Evening Times)

MARVIN Andrews is still believing. His faith is shared with friends and strangers, his messages as inspiring in football as they are away from the game.

With his career on the park seemingly drawing to a close, he is awaiting guidance as the next phase of his life begins at 40.

He has achieved the ambition that he set out to in Trinidad and Tobago during his childhood, but further targets have yet to be defined.

Andrews is one of the great characters of Scottish football and is fondly remembered from the multitude of stops he has made across our game. His impact today remains profound, his inner strength helping others as well as shaping his own life.

He has turned out for eleven different clubs here, going from the Champions League with Rangers to the Junior ranks during a spell with Kirkintilloch Rob Roy. There has been interest this season in his services from outwith the professional setup but all have been politely declined so far.

If League Two Clyde proves to be his last club and the phone doesn’t ring, Andrews will be able to retire content.

“It was always my dream to play until I was 40 years of age,” he told SportTimes. “That was the drive for me.

“Yes, I had a lot of obstacles in the way, obviously my knee was the biggest news in Scottish football when I had doctors telling me that I would never play again. Playing for Clyde last season, I achieved that goal.

“I still have that flame in me that I could do a job for someone, even though I will be 41 in December.

“Football is everything I knew growing up. I am grateful to God and thankful that he has blessed me in unbelievable ways in the things that I have achieved.”

Andrews may not be appearing at an SPFL ground near you these days but the defender still pulls on his boots. He continues to train to keep himself fit and he plays in charity matches alongside a host of former Rangers stars.

He has business interests and is always welcomed back to Ibrox by the fans who took him to their hearts. For the man from San Juan, Kirkcaldy remains home but Scottish football may have seen the last of him.

“People still tell me I could make a good coach because of the type of guy that I am,” Andrews said.

“I don’t want to do it because people want me to do it, I want to do it because I have the desire to do it.

“I will not do something if I don’t want to do it. I never saw myself as a manager.”

Having overcome adversity to achieve success on the park and live the dream for club and country, Andrews will not look back and wonder what might have been.

His story is a remarkable one and he won’t write the next chapters by himself as he seeks inspiration. He knows only too well that anything is possible in the future.

“I am still praying and asking God for direction in the next stage of my life,” Andrews said.

“At this present time, the future for Marvin Andrews is bright. I can definitely tell you that.

“When you walk with God, he can direct you anywhere at any time.

“One of my biggest fears is doing something that God did not create me to do. I don’t want to be involved in something that is not God’s plan for my life.”

A career that took Andrews to the top of Scottish football, and even to a World Cup, will end with no regrets.

His attitude and raw, uncompromising approach made him an integral part of many sides, while his bubbly persona endeared him to supporters. It is that quality that makes him a fan favourite even today.

That connection is enhanced through his social media activity, with his Twitter account a mixture of inspirational messages and self-recorded singing sessions in his car as he entertains his 21,000 followers with a wide-ranging repertoire.

“I am a cheery guy, I like to laugh and have fun and enjoy life,” Andrews said.

“Anyone who knows Marvin Andrews will tell you I am always laughing.

“One day I thought I would sing a song and put it on Twitter, just for a laugh. I never thought I would get this response. It is unbelievable.

“I am not a singer, but I am putting a smile on somebody’s face. They might be in a bad place, they might be going through a difficult time in their life.

“If I can cheer them up, my job is done. It makes me laugh when people comment on it.

“Even walking along the street people shout ‘Marv, what are you singing today?’”

His renditions of ‘Twist and Shout’ and ‘Three Little Birds’ show the Trinidadian at his jocular, grinning best but Andrews is not just a social media entertainer.

His faith continues to shape his life but he is not the only beneficiary. He is approached by strangers in need and makes himself available to offer guidance where possible.

Even those that do not know Andrews know of him, and feel that they can trust him.

“I was speaking to a guy on Facebook who told me he found his mum dead in his room and he was finding it hard to recover,” he said.

“He asked for help and he believed that God would help him. I chatted to him as best I could and asked him if he goes to church.

“He told me he had a Bible and I tried to give him direction to let him know that God could help him in the situation he was facing.

“He is a young boy who lost his mum and it was very difficult for him. I get different requests from people from all walks of life because they know the faith that I have.”

It is that conviction in his beliefs that gives Andrews hope for a friend and former team-mate. A church engagement in Northern Ireland meant he was unable to attend a tribute evening for Fernando Ricksen in Glasgow recently, but Andrews was there in spirit.

Ricksen’s fight against Motor Neurone Disease is as inspiring as it is tragic. Like many of the Dutchman’s former colleagues, Andrews regularly checks on his progress and refuses to give up hope.

“To see Fernando with a disease that has made him the complete opposite of what he was is really heart breaking and very tough,” he said.

“I can talk to him, he will want to talk to me, but he just can’t. I try to see how he is doing through other people.

“It doesn’t matter what mistakes you have made in life, nobody wants to see someone in such a state. I can only pray and hope that one day he can recover.

“I sent a video message to him and I said that God can make him well. I believe it with all my heart. God can heal Fernando and that is the message that I send to him.”

It was alongside Ricksen that Andrews experienced one of the most remarkable days of his career. It was May 22, 2005. It was Helicopter Sunday.

The picture of Andrews on his knees, pointing to the heavens encapsulates not just his achievement but that of Rangers during a memorable campaign. He had defied doctors, Alex McLeish’s side had overcome the odds.

“The two things people always say to me are ‘how is your knee?’ and ‘keep believing,’” he smiled.

“I still get tingles when I think of what a great year it was. Scottish football will probably never see anything like it again. Generations of fans will talk about Helicopter Sunday.

“It was fascinating the way it happened with my knee, disproving the medics, the games. You could make a movie from it.

“I still pinch myself and try to get my head round it. How did it all happen? It is a miracle and I thank God for it.”

His efforts that season and his famous message to the supporters earned Andrews a unique place in the affections of the Ibrox crowd.

The defender would spend just two years in Light Blue before he returned to Raith Rovers, the club where he began his adventure on these shores.

He may have left Rangers, but Rangers have never left Andrews. The passing of time, and subsequent trials and tribulations, have only increased his admiration for the club.

“A great person is not known by where they are, but what they have come through to get where they are,” Andrews said.

“That is how greatness is measured. What Rangers has come through to be where they are today is magnificent and it shows the greatness of the club. You just have to applaud it.

“It shows the greatness of the fans, the club as a whole. As long as these fans are alive, Rangers will never die.

“For me, that is what greatness is. Yes, you can win a lot of trophies.

“But greatness is judged when you are going through a difficult time and it is how you respond to that. That is what makes Rangers absolutely amazing.”

1]; } ?>