April 23, 2024, 02:07:05 PM

Author Topic: Google's Android unveiled  (Read 42678 times)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Google's Android unveiled
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2012, 09:00:32 AM »
Samsung expected to sell some 60 million smartphones in Q4

Samsung has gradually become a one-stop-shop for Android smartphones, with devices available in almost every conceivable variety for almost any budget. It's no real shocker that it is the number one smartphone manufacturer globally, and will likely continue to hold the lion's share of the pie for some time to come.

UBS financial analytics estimate that some 61.5 million units will be sold in the final 3 month period of 2012. This will mark the first time a manufacturer ships more than 60 million units in a single quarter, but is hardly surprising given that Samsung shipped some 57 million handsets in Q3.

Sales of the Galaxy S III and Note II are expected to lead the way in sales, with the S III having shipped some 5.5 million units in October alone.

Samsung's lesser-known devices, like the WP8-running Ativ S, and its Bada lineup, are not expected to have a significant impact on sales figures.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_expected_to_sell_some_60_million_smartphones_in_q4-news-5109.php
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:14:48 PM by D.H.W »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2012, 08:14:30 PM »
Samsung Galaxy S IV to come in April with unbreakable screen?

Samsung's upcoming Galaxy S IV is making the headlines again with new rumors hinting at a possible April 2013 announcement date.

In addition, Reuters is reporting some gossip about an unbreakable display that the flagship will be featuring. Samsung is said to ditch the usual glass cover for its displays in favor of a plastic one, which is said to be virtually impossible to break.

If indeed that's the case, Samsung might be making a case for a huge selling point with a display that doesn't shatter when dropped or hit with heavy object.

Add this to the previous rumors of the device packing a 4.99" 1080p full HD display with a pixel density of 441ppi, and the Galaxy S IV is shaping up to be one extraordinary device indeed. As expected, Samsung has refused to comment on any of the rumors for now.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_to_out_the_galaxy_s_iv_in_april_2013_with_a_plastic_display-news-5169.php
Youtube Channel

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 24, 2012, 07:23:55 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4kk0B93b0cs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4kk0B93b0cs</a>

I had an HTC Evo for the past 20 months ... recently the USB port was destroyed (piece severed as a result of dropping the phone). Went to the phone company they gave me a half-baked external charger that was tedious to deal with (took too long to charge the phone, and once fully charged, the charge wouldn't hold fuh long). Finally had the time to devote to shopping fuh ah replacement ... purchased an iPhone 5 today but the Samsung Note II caught my eye in the process (the customer service person was pushing it coz he doh like Apple).

Ah kinda torn about losing the GPS set-up on the android side.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 24, 2012, 07:33:19 PM »
Look how tiny the Iphone is  ;D , Hardware wise the Note 2 kills it. But i guess is what is important to you. Personally i taking that Note 2 anyday of the week
Youtube Channel

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 24, 2012, 07:39:58 PM »
Ah leaning strongly in that direction but I will give this a lil chance.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 24, 2012, 07:43:21 PM »
Look how tiny the Iphone is  ;D , Hardware wise the Note 2 kills it. But i guess is what is important to you. Personally i taking that Note 2 anyday of the week

might go for the S3 or 4 mihself but ah also have mih eye on a nvidia 580gtx to build a rendering rig...doh ask :( and 35mm Cine lens.....again doh ask...........and a slowly cobbling up a budget to get whichever goh be most useful at that time.............if ah win d lotto doh might get all three.............side-note somebody loss d $17m ticket ah here it unclaimed ???
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 25, 2012, 03:36:04 PM »

Google just released Google Maps for iPhone about three weeks ago... so you can still have the same GPS functionality.  You also have it with Apple Maps and MapQuest as a third party app.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 25, 2012, 03:40:18 PM »

Can you carry that big thing in yuh pocket comfortably?  Hold it up to yuh ear to speak?  As you said, it's what's important to you individually.  I like the bigger screen for if I'm surfing the net, but I doh really spend that much time surfing on my phone... that's what my laptop is for.  I doh have a tablet, but if I did that would be one less reason to have a mini tablet in my pocket.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2012, 03:57:45 PM »
it really kinda big for ah  phone...........I was jokin wit mih brother dat yuh need a holster to carry it. lol
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2012, 07:12:52 PM »

Google just released Google Maps for iPhone about three weeks ago... so you can still have the same GPS functionality.  You also have it with Apple Maps and MapQuest as a third party app.

I wasn't aware of that. Good to know.  :beermug:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 25, 2012, 07:41:53 PM »

Can you carry that big thing in yuh pocket comfortably?  Hold it up to yuh ear to speak?  As you said, it's what's important to you individually.  I like the bigger screen for if I'm surfing the net, but I doh really spend that much time surfing on my phone... that's what my laptop is for.  I doh have a tablet, but if I did that would be one less reason to have a mini tablet in my pocket.

Is definitely not for everyone thats for sure. Worse yet for people with small palms
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 26, 2012, 02:02:34 AM »

I wasn't aware of that. Good to know.  :beermug:

That was the only thing I missed when I made the switch a year ago... MapQuest was decent, just didn't like the interface too much.  Apple was a mess... decent, but yuh better have a back up plan, like somebody to call when yuh get near because it might route yuh two blocks away.  Google Maps for iOs is the shit though.

http://reviews.cnet.com/software/google-maps-ios/4505-3513_7-35558172.html

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 26, 2012, 03:04:35 PM »
Ah leaning strongly in that direction but I will give this a lil chance.
So you made the switch to apple....well I'm due for an upgrade a Feb so I have 2 months to decide. Apple or Samsung....decisions, decisions.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2012, 11:41:52 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20850778

A smartphone and tablet said to be the first designed by an African company have beenlaunched.

The products, designed by Congolese entrepreneur Verone Mankou, are manufactured in China.

His company VMK's devices run Google's Android software. They will retail at $170 (£105) for the smartphone and $300 (£185) for the tablet.

"Only Africans can know what Africa needs," said Mr Mankou at the Tech4Africa conference in Johannesburg.

"Apple is huge in the US, Samsung is huge in Asia, and we want VMK to be huge in Africa."

Technology blog Smartplanet reports that the tablet offers wi-fi connectivity and four gigabytes of internal storage. Its name, Way-C, means "the light of the stars" in the local Lingala language.

The smartphone has rear and forward facing cameras and a 3.5in (8.9cm) screen.

There are plans to sell the devices across 10 other West African countries as well as Belgium, France and India.

Mr Mankou said he hoped to launch a cheaper tablet for students next year.

First?

The devices will come up against several already well-established and popular brands.

Most notably, Blackberry-maker Research in Motion (RIM) has a significant presence on the continent, despite flagging sales in the western market.

The tablet is similar in size to Samsung's Galaxy Tab Popular too are handsets from Nokia which is working closely with Facebook to grow African's interest in both mobile communication and social networking.

However, there is an increasing desire among African communities to support homegrown products, spurred on by fledgling technology scenes in various cities across the region.

'Offended'

Attempts to be seen as African have caused some firms to be accused of dishonesty. Companies were highly criticised after they were deemed to be marketing products that were made offshore but simply branded locally.

VMK insisted that while the product was manufactured in China for cost reasons, the design and engineering was entirely African.

A page on the company's website stressed that statement, saying: "We are somewhat offended by the disregard of those who persist in denying the authentication of our products, despite evidence.

"Most of those critics are either Afro-pessimistic (who argue that 'nothing good can come from Africa'), or just (future) competitors."

The company added that unlike previous "African" smartphones and tablets, there were no products matching the VMK devices in other countries under different branding.
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2012, 06:12:53 PM »
Samsung Galaxy S IV to launch in April with S Pen functionality?

Here is a juicy rumor fresh out of Korea - the Samsung Galaxy S IV might be the first handset in the series to launch with an S Pen and the accompanying functionality as Samsung is allegedly looking to unite its Note series with the flagship Galaxy S IV. This would be a huge change for Samsung and interestingly enough is allegedly confirmed by a quote from a Samsung official.

Moreover, Korean sources agree that the Samsung Galaxy S IV will launch in April.

Along the way, we are hearing more confirmations that the S IV will indeed come with a 5-inch 1080p AMOLED display, something that almost seems like a fact right now judging by what the competition is bringing.

Additionally, whispers are that the new Samsung Android flagship will run on Jelly Bean and be powered by a quad-core Exynos 5440 chip manufactured using 28nm high-K metal gate technology. It is also possible that it will use ARM big.LITTLE architecture with an energy-efficient A7 processor for basic tasks paired with A15 for more intense loads.

Other details about the upcoming Galaxy S IV are a 13-megapixel rear auto-focus camera and slightly thicker, 9.2mm body, a development that would make it very Note-like. How does this all seem to you, do you think that a slightly thicker S Pen-equipped S IV is a good idea or not?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S-IV-to-launch-in-April-with-S-Pen-functionality_id38138
Youtube Channel

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2012, 10:20:40 AM »
Instead of faster chips that open apps micro-seconds faster and screens with more pixels I would prefer that these phone manufacturers advance the battery technology. At this point processor, graphics and screen improvements are incremental, and other than the techies, most consumers couldn't tell yuh how much RAM in the phone, if it had 2 or 4 cores, or much less spot the performance differences. But everyone one can tell yuh if their phone can last a full day on a charge or not.

Time to work on the battery and make the tech leaps that we seeing in other aspects of the phone hardware and software.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2012, 11:10:20 AM »
Good point about battery life. I went back to the store to learn more about the Note II and found out that it holds charge for about 15 hours ... However ah have to say I'm impressed or - at a minimum - satisfied with the iPhone in this respect.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
Its coming. Just give it time

Battery breakthrough: New technology promises to triple lithium ion capacity

http://www.geekwire.com/2012/battery-breakthrough-technology-promises-triple-lithium-ion-capacity/
Youtube Channel

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2012, 11:59:12 AM »
Apple Will Drop Galaxy S III Mini from Samsung Patent Suit

http://www.journalnow.com/business/business_news/national_international/article_502693d8-5165-11e2-91db-0019bb30f31a.html
Bloomberg News

SAN FRANCISCO — Apple Inc. has agreed to drop Samsung Electronics Co.’s Galaxy S III Mini from a patent-infringement lawsuit against the South Korea-based company, according to court records.

Apple said it agreed to withdraw the smartphone from its case because Samsung assured the court the phone won’t be sold in the United States, according to a filing Friday in federal court in San Jose, Calif. The filing, which follows an August verdict in the same court in Apple’s favor on other infringement claims, comes in a second patent case between the two companies, scheduled for trial in 2014.

Apple will withdraw the Galaxy S III Mini “given Samsung’s representation that it is not making, using, selling, offering to sell or importing that product into the U.S.,” according to the filing. Apple claims that the smartphone is available for sale through Amazon.com, and said it will agree to drop its claims against the Galaxy S III Mini only if Samsung’s assurances remain true.

In the earlier case, a jury decided Aug. 24 at the end of a trial that Samsung should pay $1.05 billion for infringing six Apple patents. Apple awaits a decision from U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh on its request for additional damages against Samsung for infringement after the iPhone maker lost its bid to block U.S. sales on 26 of the Galaxy maker’s devices. Apple failed to establish that consumer demand for Samsung products was driven by technology it stole, Koh ruled.

At a Dec. 6 hearing, Apple asked Koh to increase the damages awarded by the jury by $536 million, while Samsung said the verdict should be reduced by more than $600 million. Koh hasn’t ruled on the matter.

Samsung and Apple, the world’s two biggest smartphone makers, have each scored victories in their patent disputes fought over four continents since Cupertino, Calif.-based Apple accused Asia’s biggest electronics maker of “slavishly copying” its devices. The companies are competing for dominance of a global mobile-device market estimated by Yankee Group at $346 billion this year.

Samsung, facing an antitrust probe by European regulators, has said it will halt efforts to block sales of Apple products in Europe.

Newer smartphones made by both companies, including Samsung’s Galaxy S III and Apple’s iPhone 5, have been added to the case set for trial in 2014.

Adam Yates, a spokesman for Suwon, South Korea-based Samsung, declined to comment.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »
There's an interesting article from a few months ago about her ascendance to the bench and about perceptions (unfounded) of whether her Korean ancestry implicates favoring Samsung.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2013, 09:08:23 AM »
Youtube Channel

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2013, 10:32:39 AM »
comScore: Samsung and Android continue to dominate US

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_and_android_continue_to_dominate_latest_us_comscore_figures-news-5287.php

is the Symbian same as a Sybian? Takes the "m" out of mastubtating. Howard Stern would be happy.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2013, 01:39:23 PM »
None of this is really surprising... Google was smart enough to license Android to any and all makers, so it makes sense that as long as the majority of cellphone customers not buying expensive iPhones, then if you go after that segment of the market you will dominate all other OS.  Not sure what going on with RIM... and Windows, I dunno, never try the new OS but the old one was some shit.  For the sake of competition I hope they reinvent deyself 'cause right not iOS and Android rendering them obsolete.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »
Rim has a new revamped OS. BlackBerry 10 with some new phones coming out in January. Not sure if it will be enough.
Youtube Channel

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2013, 04:16:12 PM »
Rim has a new revamped OS. BlackBerry 10 with some new phones coming out in January. Not sure if it will be enough.

apart from BB what is\was the appeal of black berry anyways ??? was never really ground breaking tech......I know the data encryption was supposedly "the shit", so corporate types flocked to it, as it allowed u to communicate sensitive data safely with each other...but what else......all that to say I would buy an android based blackberry ....especially for a hardware keyboard
I pity the fool....

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2013, 04:49:14 PM »

apart from BB what is\was the appeal of black berry anyways ??? was never really ground breaking tech......I know the data encryption was supposedly "the shit", so corporate types flocked to it, as it allowed u to communicate sensitive data safely with each other...but what else......all that to say I would buy an android based blackberry ....especially for a hardware keyboard

If you are a betting man, now is the time to buy RIM shares:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Google's Android unveiled
« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2013, 05:17:13 PM »

apart from BB what iswas the appeal of black berry anyways ??? was never really ground breaking tech......I know the data encryption was supposedly "the shit", so corporate types flocked to it, as it allowed u to communicate sensitive data safely with each other...but what else......all that to say I would buy an android based blackberry ....especially for a hardware keyboard

They should of gone android instead of making a new OS. They better have a good backup plan if bb10 fail.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 05:18:54 PM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2013, 05:54:10 PM »

If you are a betting man, now is the time to buy RIM shares:

Would have loved to short that stock.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2013, 06:20:37 AM »
BB10

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fg2xZed84Jg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fg2xZed84Jg</a>

Youtube Channel

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2013, 09:53:55 AM »
RIM was the darling of Canadian Hi Tech and the co-CEOs took their eyes off the ball and got caught up in too much hype, bidding to buy an NHL team, establishing the Perimeter Institute (theoretical physics etc) in which Stephen Hawking has a chair. They allowed RIM to fall behind. Not sure if the new management team can recover. But the BB10 does look cool. Stock trading at $11-12.  Will they ever get back to $150? Likely not but even $50 will do nicely.

1]; } ?>