April 24, 2024, 06:35:04 PM

Author Topic: Google's Android unveiled  (Read 42712 times)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: Google's Android unveiled
« Reply #60 on: December 09, 2010, 08:11:37 AM »
I upgraded to Android 2.2.1 for the MyTouch (also known as the HTC Magic in lesser developed parts of the civilized world) about two months ago, and to say that I am thrilled would be an understatement.  I've never had an iPhone... but at this rate I don't need one and probably never will.  Apple might woo with a setta whiz bang third part apps, but in terms of sheer practicality nothing beats this little device. 

Standard with the latest Android upgrade is Speech To Text, a voice-recognition software which makes it moot to type on your phone.  Just speak the words when sending an email, text, browsing the internet, searching for directions etc.. and the software converts your spoken words to text.  It's not quite 100% accurate, but it's around 95%, pretty darn good.  This has been out for some time now, for instance, back when I was with Sprint there was a version out about 5-6 yrs ago, but it did a very poor job in my mind, and took eons to come back with suggested text even then.  The current version is boss, plain and simple.

Another feature which I literally just realized was available, is the ability to "tether" my phone to my PC.  When you tether your phone you essentially connect your computer to the internet via your phone's USB cable, accessing the 3G (or 4G if you have it) connection.  My 3G connection thru the phone was even faster than my home DSL (base) connection.  So essentially, wherever I have service on my phone, I have internet access for my laptop.  No more staring at the walls in airports.

I need to test it a bit more to see what if any effect there is on connection speed during peak hours.  I also need to know if there are any drawbacks to having my phone connected to my laptop all the time, like battery wear etc. Assuming all goes well then Verizon can kiss my monthly payment goodbye.

I still sticking with the iPhone because I not looking forward to learning a new interface. I use my phone so muhc that the risk of a big disruption in function is too much. I looking forward to a new iPhone on Verizon sometime next year because right now AT&T not letting me upgrade to the iPhone 4 without paying a 4200 penalty.

Also I think there is not much between these phones and you tend to get locked into what yuh comfortable with but the iPhone also has the Voice command feature. Can't say how it compares to other phones but you can make calls play songs, albums using the commands. I also don't know if it types text within emails or the web browser because in general I rarely use it. The iPhone 4 also supports tethering.

The app I would actually like to see on these is something that goes the other way, translating text to voice so you could "read" a page of text. without having ot look at the phone.

As for the apps most of the good apps are good because they deliver content that is popular elsewhere. The portability is a winner and the good apps are available on both iTunes and on the Android marketplace. The big thing with apple is brand strength, form and simplicity, the latter of which has its drawbacks. Also the retina display gives it the best display on the market.

When I have time I will start an "Apps" thread because I finding a lot of great apps out there and I realize that it have even more that you never hear about.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 09, 2010, 12:54:28 PM »
I still sticking with the iPhone because I not looking forward to learning a new interface. I use my phone so muhc that the risk of a big disruption in function is too much. I looking forward to a new iPhone on Verizon sometime next year because right now AT&T not letting me upgrade to the iPhone 4 without paying a 4200 penalty.

Also I think there is not much between these phones and you tend to get locked into what yuh comfortable with but the iPhone also has the Voice command feature. Can't say how it compares to other phones but you can make calls play songs, albums using the commands. I also don't know if it types text within emails or the web browser because in general I rarely use it. The iPhone 4 also supports tethering.

The app I would actually like to see on these is something that goes the other way, translating text to voice so you could "read" a page of text. without having ot look at the phone.

As for the apps most of the good apps are good because they deliver content that is popular elsewhere. The portability is a winner and the good apps are available on both iTunes and on the Android marketplace. The big thing with apple is brand strength, form and simplicity, the latter of which has its drawbacks. Also the retina display gives it the best display on the market.

When I have time I will start an "Apps" thread because I finding a lot of great apps out there and I realize that it have even more that you never hear about.

New 'interface' or new OS?  The Android interface works identical to Apple's touchscreen.  Since I last posted on teh interface some months ago the new upgrade has the interface working a lot smoother, and it now rotates 360 degrees and not the 180 that it first used to.  Still no pinch to zoom though.

Android has voice command too, but I'm not sure if you can use it to play music, since I don't play music on my phone.  You can definitely dial and search via voice command though.  Agreed that text to voice would be a cool feature, however it's not one I likely would use a whole lot.  I like text to speech because as much as I try to avoid texting while driving sometimes it's necessary.  This makes the process simpler and safer.  Also when having to type numerous entries/responses, or a lot of text, there is no substitute.  Only real drawback is that you have to minimize background noise (obviously) for the software to understand what you're saying.  But it's pretty sensitive... you don't need absolute silence in the background.

As for Apps... there was a discussion in this thread created by Sam some time back.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2010, 02:10:07 PM »

New 'interface' or new OS?  The Android interface works identical to Apple's touchscreen.  Since I last posted on teh interface some months ago the new upgrade has the interface working a lot smoother, and it now rotates 360 degrees and not the 180 that it first used to.  Still no pinch to zoom though.

Android has voice command too, but I'm not sure if you can use it to play music, since I don't play music on my phone.  You can definitely dial and search via voice command though.  Agreed that text to voice would be a cool feature, however it's not one I likely would use a whole lot.  I like text to speech because as much as I try to avoid texting while driving sometimes it's necessary.  This makes the process simpler and safer.  Also when having to type numerous entries/responses, or a lot of text, there is no substitute.  Only real drawback is that you have to minimize background noise (obviously) for the software to understand what you're saying.  But it's pretty sensitive... you don't need absolute silence in the background.

As for Apps... there was a discussion in this thread created by Sam some time back.

I probably mean neither interface nor OS but more how to navigate the phone and integrate it into day to day life. I have a system for using my phone for specific daily functions. The most important function is downloading and managing podcasts and music, most of which I could do outside iTunes but there are a couple that requires subscriptions that iTunes are necessary for. Everytime I ask an Android user how they access and store podcasts I get blank stares.

Web-browsing is also a big plus although this is similar across the platforms, but the iPhone still has what is considered to be the best interface. I use Google Maps a lot and of course the Android phones have a much better app for that with turn by turn navigation built in.

A couple months ago I picked up a Samsung fascinate in the store and got a sales pitch. It seemed like a real nice phone and I could have seen myself buying it, then I pick up the iPhone 4 and it just seem more natural, probably just because that is what I am accustomed to, especially when I scope out the 5 MP camera and hi-def video capture and editing on the 4. I think blackberry users suffer something similar in their resistance to switch to Apple or Android.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »
Bakes, thanks for tip on voice to text. I found the setting - have to check it out.

On the tether capability - Android 1.6 had that and I did set up for it data wise (at least 1Gb/month).  But am somewhat leery of it.  Are you using an app that needs direct access to the root?.  Did you buy yours or download a free app?

So far, I have not been tempted to explore it further as I use a "stick' to access the internet when I am traveling in Canada. I dont like the idea of messing with the root OS on my phone.  With my luck, I will mess it up,

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

http://lifehacker.com/5447347/how-to-tether-your-android-phone
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2010, 03:46:19 PM »
Bakes, thanks for tip on voice to text. I found the setting - have to check it out.

On the tether capability - Android 1.6 had that and I did set up for it data wise (at least 1Gb/month).  But am somewhat leery of it.  Are you using an app that needs direct access to the root?.  Did you buy yours or download a free app?

So far, I have not been tempted to explore it further as I use a "stick' to access the internet when I am traveling in Canada. I dont like the idea of messing with the root OS on my phone.  With my luck, I will mess it up,

Nah... I didn't have to download anything or use a third party app.

Settings-------> Wireless and Networks-----------> Tethering----------> USB tethering.

There should also be an option to tether your phone as a portable WiFi Hotspot but for some reason I don't have that option and been meaning to call them about it.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=182134

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2010, 04:11:51 PM »

Nah... I didn't have to download anything or use a third party app.

Settings-------> Wireless and Networks-----------> Tethering----------> USB tethering.

There should also be an option to tether your phone as a portable WiFi Hotspot but for some reason I don't have that option and been meaning to call them about it.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=182134

hmmm ... not in android 2.1.  Steups.

Your comment prompted me to do a quick search now that I know tethering like you described is possible.
 Found out that it is not available on Android 2.1 without rooting.

I am now learning that "Android 2.2 Froyo will support USB tethering for data connections along with being able to create WiFi hotspots, and furthermore will be much faster than Android 2.1 apparently up to 450% faster, and have full Flash support. 450% more faster than Android 2.1 Eclair"

Furthermore, there was question as to when Sony Ericsson will upgrade to 2.2.  Given that they only now upgrade from 1.6 to 2.1, I guess 2.2 not happening for a while.

So if I want tethering, it will have to be a third party app ... and that not happening.

Got my hopes up only to have then dashed against the rocks of 2.1.  sigh
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2010, 02:06:17 AM »
hmmm ... not in android 2.1.  Steups.

Your comment prompted me to do a quick search now that I know tethering like you described is possible.
 Found out that it is not available on Android 2.1 without rooting.

I am now learning that "Android 2.2 Froyo will support USB tethering for data connections along with being able to create WiFi hotspots, and furthermore will be much faster than Android 2.1 apparently up to 450% faster, and have full Flash support. 450% more faster than Android 2.1 Eclair"

Furthermore, there was question as to when Sony Ericsson will upgrade to 2.2.  Given that they only now upgrade from 1.6 to 2.1, I guess 2.2 not happening for a while.

So if I want tethering, it will have to be a third party app ... and that not happening.

Got my hopes up only to have then dashed against the rocks of 2.1.  sigh

Hard luck dey... call yuh provider and find out when 2.2 will become available.  My version is 2.2.1... not sure how that different from 2.2 or 1.6 for that matter.  Strange that the upgrades aren't universally available... I'd call and ask questions.  If nothing else at the end of your contract you may look into upgrading or swapping out to an unlocked GSM phone, provided that 2.2/2.2.1 is compatible with your provider's network.

As for the Text to Speech... as I said it came standard with the OS upgrade, didn't really have to adjust any settings.  Once you activate the keyboard, in the lower left near the numbers key (the key you press to pull up the numbers) there should be a key with a little microphone symbol... just press and talk.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »
ComScore: Android jumps ahead of iOS in total US smartphone subscribers

We've seen plenty of data to show that Android is the hottest-selling smartphone OS among US buyers today, but now we have a stat point to show that it's doing pretty well in cumulative terms as well. According to ComScore's latest estimates, Android had 26 percent of all US smartphone subscribers in the quarter ending November 2010, bettering Apple's iPhone for the first time. The major victim of Android's ascendancy has actually been RIM's BlackBerry, whose lead at the top contracted by 4.1 percentage points (nearly 11 percent less than the share it had in the previous quarter). Guess those Verizon iPhones and dual-core BBs had better start arriving pretty soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/comscore-android-jumps-ahead-of-ios-in-total-us-smartphone-subs/

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

truetrini

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2011, 01:57:03 PM »
What about the HTC EVO?

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2011, 03:56:41 PM »
What about the HTC EVO?

If I'm not mistaken that runs on the Andriod platform.  I was think about upgrading from Blackberry to an Andriod phone (EVO).  I'm still not sure what I want to do. 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2011, 05:11:58 PM »
Yeah the EVO is Android... it's gotten great reviews, but ah li'l to big fuh my tastes.  My MyTouch still going strong 18 months later.  Contract up in July and I'll explore options then... the Nexus tempting, but 6 months is an eternity in the SmartPhone industry, we'll see what out then.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2011, 10:08:48 PM »
I was going to do the Blackberry Bold because I know RIM's OS and it works well for me.  I'm with sprint, I have an 8330 and was due for an upgrade since July 09.  :)  The next thing I need on my phone is voice txting and RIM don't have that yet I don't think.  I need voice txting bad.  :devil:
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2011, 12:13:51 AM »
I was going to do the Blackberry Bold because I know RIM's OS and it works well for me.  I'm with sprint, I have an 8330 and was due for an upgrade since July 09.  :)  The next thing I need on my phone is voice txting and RIM don't have that yet I don't think.  I need voice txting bad.  :devil:

Trust mih... dat text to speech is crack.  De other day I on facebook sending somebody ah message and, no lie almost start talking to de computer  :rotfl:

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2011, 07:47:26 AM »
Canalys: Android overtakes Symbian as world's best-selling smartphone platform in Q4 2010

One day somebody will write a book called "The rise and rise of Android" and this moment will be highlighted in bold. Canalys' latest smartphone sales figures show that Android phone makers managed to shift a cool 33.3 million handsets in the last quarter -- more than any other smartphone platform out there, including the previous leader, Symbian, which sold 31 million units. That's a mighty leap from the 20.3 million Android devices the stats agency estimates were sold in Q3 2010. Symbian itself grew from 29.9m in Q3 to 31m in Q4, but Android's pace of expansion has been so rapid as to make that irrelevant.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/31/canalys-android-overtakes-symbian-as-worlds-best-selling-smart/
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2011, 08:20:31 PM »
Alyuh check this commercial out nah lol

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/M4lxuoGgbxs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/M4lxuoGgbxs</a>
Youtube Channel

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 06, 2011, 08:53:09 PM »
dere is is ah disturbin creepiness bout dat ad :'( :'( :-\
I pity the fool....

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2011, 06:37:06 PM »
dere is is ah disturbin creepiness bout dat ad :'( :'( :-\

check the new one

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GO5VJz4q66I&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GO5VJz4q66I&amp;</a>
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2011, 06:44:27 PM »
My new playground... for other Android devotees.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2011, 08:18:23 PM »
Black Berry PlayBook

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/s72rGDUn2uo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/s72rGDUn2uo</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2011, 03:42:02 PM »
Android smartphones widen lead in US market

SAN FRANCISCO — Smartphones powered by Google software widened their lead on BlackBerry handsets in the US market during the first three months of the year, industry tracker comScore reported on Friday.
Android smartphones dethroned BlackBerry in January by capturing 31.2 percent of the US market and that share grew to 34.7 percent by the end of March, according to comScore.
BlackBerry handsets made by Canada-based Research In Motion (RIM) lost ground in the quarter, ending March with 27.1 percent of the US market.
Apple was close behind RIM with iPhone running on the California company's mobile platform commanding 25.5 percent of the market, according to comScore.
Samsung was the top handset manufacturer overall with a 24.5-percent share of the US market, comScore said, followed by LG with 20.9 percent, Motorola with 15.8 percent, RIM with 8.4 percent and Apple with 7.9 percent.
According to comScore, 234 million Americans owned mobile devices at the end of March and the number of smartphones owned climbed 15 percent to 72.5 million.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5iYNvpEetuxJQm5z_B4F4boecUV0Q
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2012, 03:23:01 PM »
iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S III Comparison Smackdown

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/819bO19bKKg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/819bO19bKKg</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FHNSFJEWfLY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FHNSFJEWfLY</a>

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 03:50:18 PM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2012, 04:22:12 PM »
I divorce Android... iPhone 4S almost a year now.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2012, 08:37:58 PM »
Read recently, Samsung has surpassed Apple as the number 1 smartphone maker in the world. The Galaxy S3 is now the world's most sold smartphone surpassing the IPhone 4. In just a few months.
Youtube Channel

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2012, 09:02:03 PM »
Read recently, Samsung has surpassed Apple as the number 1 smartphone maker in the world. The Galaxy S3 is now the world's most sold smartphone surpassing the IPhone 4. In just a few months.

Not hard to see why. I have the S3 (a couple months now) and it is almost perfect in terms of performance and stability.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »
I doh even have the latest and greatest.  My family dealin with my Samsung Nexus S, my wife's HTC Evo 3D and an Acer A200 tablet, all on Android and these things run real good.  I have all the apps I want to play around with, usually for free.  I even messin around with building my own app.
My phone is linked to my google account so I get gmail, google+, my documents, map info all synched.
I real happy with Android.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2012, 12:28:26 AM »
I doh even have the latest and greatest.  My family dealin with my Samsung Nexus S, my wife's HTC Evo 3D and an Acer A200 tablet, all on Android and these things run real good. I have all the apps I want to play around with, usually for free.  I even messin around with building my own app.
My phone is linked to my google account so I get gmail, google+, my documents, map info all synched.

Uhm... that applies to de iPhone too.  8)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2012, 06:31:10 AM »
I hate how the ios has a locked filing system. Its a lil better when you jailbreak it but it really gets me they way they force you to do things. For instance the need to use itunes. You can't just plug the device in a pc and browse or transfer files. The apps don't integrate as well as the android either. Sharing files via multiple platforms is much easier too . Customization is much better on the android too.

Never used an Iphone 5 but my galaxy S2 is faster than the Iphones I've used and my iPad2 .

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2012, 08:59:24 AM »
love my droid...

in the studio its apple all the way though

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »
I doh even have the latest and greatest.  My family dealin with my Samsung Nexus S, my wife's HTC Evo 3D and an Acer A200 tablet, all on Android and these things run real good. I have all the apps I want to play around with, usually for free.  I even messin around with building my own app.

Yeah but for hundreds more.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2012, 03:16:13 PM »

Yeah but for hundreds more.
Really?  You paying the same $200 for a top line, brand new Adroid phone as you would for an iPhone.  I like Android, but the only hold for me was the stranglehold AT&T  had on the contract with Apple.  Since Sprint and Verizon join de party the service prices get more reasonable.  Android still cool... but no real comparison to the iPhone in my mind.

1]; } ?>