March 28, 2024, 07:45:33 AM

Author Topic: Google's Android unveiled  (Read 42420 times)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Google's Android unveiled
« Reply #150 on: January 05, 2013, 10:34:28 AM »
RIM was the darling of Canadian Hi Tech and the co-CEOs took their eyes off the ball and got caught up in too much hype, bidding to buy an NHL team, establishing the Perimeter Institute (theoretical physics etc) in which Stephen Hawking has a chair. They allowed RIM to fall behind. Not sure if the new management team can recover. But the BB10 does look cool. Stock trading at $11-12.  Will they ever get back to $150? Likely not but even $50 will do nicely.

Correk is right, cyar sleep in dis economy
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 05, 2013, 12:04:32 PM »
BB10 looking good but might be too little too late.

On the consumer side of things the smartphone market has moved beyond the phone and the OS to ecosystems. People not just buying a droid or iphone but getting locked into ecosystems by buying apps, movies, music, books for use on phones & tablets etc. Ecosystems make the switching costs high and in the case of Android, if you get tired of your phone you could always buy the next Nexus/Galaxy/HTC phone and still keep all your content. I see BB10 finally bring BB close enough to the competition to retain current BB users and stem losses, but it makes it really hard to convert people. Plus aside from the focus on gestures, i not seeing anything that is a leap beyond what already in the market.

On the business side, the bring your own device trend (BYOD) too far down the road. I work for a company that is ultra conservative when it comes to security because we deal with personal health info. They used to hand out BB's then one day the CEO say he want a iphone and ipad and IT had to make it happen. This week one of the admins tell me that a new policy started in 2013, no more BB's. People can use an application called Good with their own phone and the company giving up to $50 for phone bills.

BB will be fighting up for the scraps with Windows Phone.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2013, 02:01:04 PM »
RIM was the darling of Canadian Hi Tech and the co-CEOs took their eyes off the ball and got caught up in too much hype, bidding to buy an NHL team, establishing the Perimeter Institute (theoretical physics etc) in which Stephen Hawking has a chair. They allowed RIM to fall behind. Not sure if the new management team can recover. But the BB10 does look cool. Stock trading at $11-12.  Will they ever get back to $150? Likely not but even $50 will do nicely.

This takes credit away from the innovative leap that was the iPhone... simply put it revolutionized the cellphone industry by by better integrating the old mobile phone/PDA into emerging technologies (touch screen, apps, mobile web browsing etc.) to consolidate the old mobile phone into a versatile mobile communication platform... aka the smartphone.  Google was smart in taking what Apple was doing and tweaking it... open source development of Android as an OS, and open source app development as well, minus the iron-handed grip employed by Apple.  I actually think Apple is poised for even greater success... just a hunch.  I think the dictatorial methods employed by Jobs was necessary to streamline everything, R&D, production, marketing... even down to sales.  But I think there'll be greater freedom now where design is concerned.  You're already starting to see minor departures away from that with the iPhone 5 -whether it works or not remains to be seen.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2013, 02:21:14 PM »
I'm noticing Internet connectivity issues with the iPhone 5 :( ... Also didn't think about not being able to have iMessaging available during calls. For international messages this is an inconvenience particularly when an incoming call you can't decline comes in. Throws everything into text message mode @ cost.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 05, 2013, 02:53:20 PM »
I'm noticing Internet connectivity issues with the iPhone 5 :( ... Also didn't think about not being able to have iMessaging available during calls. For international messages this is an inconvenience particularly when an incoming call you can't decline comes in. Throws everything into text message mode @ cost.

Never really had any issues connecting on the 4G networks... unless I completely didn't have any reception.  As for the iMessaging issues.  iMessaging will occasionally not be available, even to my other iPhone contacts but I iMessage during calls all the time.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2013, 04:24:33 PM »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 07, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Sony Xperia Z, new beast on the market soon , announced at CES , trumps S3 on specs

Sony Xperia Z announced: HDR video capture, 5-inch 1080p Reality Display, water-resistant

"Another software addition is a new intelligent battery saver mode. This specific stamina mode will turn off any power-hungry apps (chosen either automatically by the phone, or by a user-made list) when the screen is switched off. This means you can let your email or Twitter continue to receive pings but can shut down pretty much everything else."

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/sony-xperia-z-hands-on-ces-2013/

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/sony-xperia-z-announced-ces-2013/

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_-voVE2bVYw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_-voVE2bVYw</a>

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:54:34 PM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2013, 08:00:18 AM »

Is this with verizon or AT&T?
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2013, 12:10:32 PM »
Neither.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2013, 02:16:43 PM »
Neither.
Ahhh... Sprint.  Therein lies your problem.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »
Youtube Channel

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2013, 02:24:08 PM »
Apple shares drop amidst rumors of low iPhone 5 demand

http://blog.gsmarena.com/apple-shares-drop-amid-rumors-of-low-iphone-5-demand/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

anyone of the internet traders does accept foreign users...wit small money :D ........a could buy apple and short he ass
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 14, 2013, 02:54:26 PM »
Read two nights ago that Walmart were talking about selling the iPhone 5 for $127, which would be stunning if true. Not only would that be a steep $72 below the MSRP of $199, but also such a steep price reduction two-three months after the phone was just released is a trouble signal that sales are slow.  Same article said that the iPad 3 was being discounted too... so I'm not surprised by the drop in the share price.

What this does (if you ask me) is to signal to Apple that they can't just keep making these essentially cosmetic changes to their devices and expecting the market to support the outlandishly high price points.  What they will need to do is to regroup and save upgrades for substantial improvements, or just price their upgrades more modestly.  Smart money is on the former, rather than the latter.

truetrini

« Reply #163 on: January 14, 2013, 02:59:48 PM »
Read two nights ago that Walmart were talking about selling the iPhone 5 for $127, which would be stunning if true. Not only would that be a steep $72 below the MSRP of $199, but also such a steep price reduction two-three months after the phone was just released is a trouble signal that sales are slow.  Same article said that the iPad 3 was being discounted too... so I'm not surprised by the drop in the share price.

What this does (if you ask me) is to signal to Apple that they can't just keep making these essentially cosmetic changes to their devices and expecting the market to support the outlandishly high price points.  What they will need to do is to regroup and save upgrades for substantial improvements, or just price their upgrades more modestly.  Smart money is on the former, rather than the latter.

ANDROID in dey pweffen!   Samsung to be exact!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2013, 04:43:41 PM »
Allyuh see the bendable touchscreen and the bumpy one?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2013, 05:42:34 PM »

I doh think so... the poor sales would suggest that not even the Apple loyalists upgrading to the new iPhone 5 the way they did for the other iterations.  Most likely they just waiting for the next version to come out, with better bells and whistles.  For instance, I won't call myself a loyalist just yet, but it will take a lot for me to go back to Android.  Even so, I only have my phone 14 months now and it still wukking like de day I take it out the box... what I upgrading for, half ah square inch bigger screen?

truetrini

« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2013, 05:45:43 PM »

I doh think so... the poor sales would suggest that not even the Apple loyalists upgrading to the new iPhone 5 the way they did for the other iterations.  Most likely they just waiting for the next version to come out, with better bells and whistles.  For instance, I won't call myself a loyalist just yet, but it will take a lot for me to go back to Android.  Even so, I only have my phone 14 months now and it still wukking like de day I take it out the box... what I upgrading for, half ah square inch bigger screen?

No if yuh wanted to upgrade yuh woulda get more versatility with android.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2013, 05:49:53 PM »
Rim shot!
Youtube Channel

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2013, 06:21:48 PM »
No if yuh wanted to upgrade yuh woulda get more versatility with android.

Yeah?  How so?

truetrini

« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2013, 06:27:04 PM »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 15, 2013, 11:58:49 AM »
Allyuh see the bendable touchscreen and the bumpy one?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/kJEHp15Hoo0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/kJEHp15Hoo0</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vSm-AVcBlOA&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vSm-AVcBlOA&amp;</a>
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:02:22 PM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 15, 2013, 01:20:50 PM »
Youtube Channel

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2013, 02:20:06 PM »
Anyone walking around with an Iphone 5 got duped by sensationalism. That phone does 0 that any other simple smartphone can do. You have to be a basic techie to be attracted to Iphone. You cannot do anything with that that you cannot do with a basic smartphone. How long can you talk to siri? WOW a do not disturd setting, how about the silent button on your phone? Panoramic pics, there's an app for that.

When apple can let me have my music and videos that I bought, then they are making strides. I can put music on my droid from ANY computer, no extra app or software. Drag and drop.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2013, 03:17:21 PM »
Anyone walking around with an Iphone 5 got duped by sensationalism. That phone does 0 that any other simple smartphone can do. You have to be a basic techie to be attracted to Iphone. You cannot do anything with that that you cannot do with a basic smartphone. How long can you talk to siri? WOW a do not disturd setting, how about the silent button on your phone? Panoramic pics, there's an app for that.

When apple can let me have my music and videos that I bought, then they are making strides. I can put music on my droid from ANY computer, no extra app or software. Drag and drop.

Do Not Disturb isn't unique to the iPhone 5, nor does it work the same as the "silent" button on your phone.  Silent button silences everything, including incoming calls, the Do Not Disturb features allows you to customize what you want to receive or not... plus you configure when you want it to kick in and end, you don't have to worry about forgetting to silence your phone at night.  As for music, I'm not sure why you think Apple won't let you "have" music and videos that you bought... you just upload them to iTunes.  Now if yuh doh want to deal with iTunes then I can't help yuh with that... I've been using iTunes about 7 years now, long before I made the switch.  Of late I've been using Spotify a lot though, similar to iTunes, but with social media integration.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2013, 04:00:29 PM »
Siri had me rolling yesterday. In response to a command to return to one of several options provided, Siri come wid: that's not within my capacity. She geh cuss. Next ting I hearing is: there's no reason for profanity. Next thing she bawl is: I'd blush if I could.  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2013, 04:26:57 PM »
Lol... that's funny.  I doh even fack with Siri though, waste ah time.  Or maybe I just ent figure out how to use it efficiently, I know plenty swear by it.  I does still place my calls and make my own appointments in my calendar the old-fashioned way.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2013, 10:04:02 PM »
Samsung Galaxy S4 Benchmark Confirms Eight Cores

According to the benchmark, the Galaxy S4 boasts Samsung's Exynos 5 Octa processor -- the world's first eight-core mobile processor -- clocked at 1.8GHz. It'll apparently launch with Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Samsung-GT-I9500-Galaxy-s-IV-s4,20587.html#xtor=RSS-181
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 10:07:17 PM by D.H.W »
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2013, 11:07:27 AM »
Rumor: Samsung Galaxy S4 unveiling set for March 22, first shipment mid-April

According to a “telecommunications industry” cited by Korea’s Asian Economies, Samsung will host an Unpacked event in the United States on Friday, March 22 to unveil the Samsung Galaxy S IV. SamMobile has also chimed in, claiming that Samsung will start shipping the Galaxy S IV in week 16 of 2013 (that’s the week of April 15 for those of you too lazy to pull up your calendar).

http://androidandme.com/2013/01/smartphones-2/rumor-samsung-galaxy-s4-unveiling-set-for-march-22-first-shipment-mid-april/
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »
Apple loses most valuable company title

Apple shares have fallen further, meaning that it has been overtaken by oil giant Exxon Mobil as the world's most valuable publicly-traded company.

The iPhone-maker's stock fell 2.4% to $439 a share for a market value of $413bn (£261bn). Exxon's value is currently around $418bn.

Its shares have fallen almost 40% since hitting a record $702 in September.

The tech giant has been hit by fears over its future growth, despite record profits.

The firm said late on Wednesday it had sold more iPhones (47.8 million) and iPads (22.9 million) in the final three months of last year than in any previous quarter, but investors had expected yet more.

On Thursday, about $50bn was wiped off Apple's value after the biggest daily drop in the firm's stock in four years.

Apple is also facing fierce competition from rivals like Samsung, which accounted for one in four of all mobile phones shipped worldwide last year, according to Strategy Analytics.

Apple's share price rose sharply following a revival under Steve Jobs, who died in 2011, which came about first in computers and then the iPod music player, and was then followed by the iPhone and iPad.

Apple's shares were worth as little as $3.19 in 1997 when it faced the possibility of bankruptcy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21205692
Youtube Channel

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2013, 04:03:04 PM »
Android claimed 70 percent of world smartphone share in Q4 2012 

Maybe it's easier being green than we thought. We suspected Android would do well in smartphone market share when Strategy Analytics had Samsung surging ahead in the fourth quarter of 2012, but the firm's newer breakdown of estimated share by OS shows an even larger jump for Google's overall platform -- from 51.3 percent in fall 2011 to 70.1 percent one year later. Apple was knocked down slightly to 22 percent, although it's mostly other platforms that took the bruising. Collectively, BlackBerry, Symbian, Windows Phone and other platforms sank from 25.1 percent of the smartphone space in late 2011 to just 7.9 points as 2012 drew to a close. When just two companies' platforms make up 92 percent of smartphones, it's safe to call the result a duopoly, like Strategy Analytics does -- even if others aren't so content with the idea.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/29/strategy-analytics-android-70-percent-share/
Youtube Channel

1]; } ?>