March 29, 2024, 04:58:55 AM

Author Topic: Osmond Downer celebrates 48 years at TTFF’s 100th anniversary  (Read 6837 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Osmond Downer celebrates 48 years at TTFF’s 100th anniversary
« on: September 24, 2008, 05:57:50 AM »
Osmond Downer celebrates 48 years at TTFF’s 100th anniversary
By Michelle Loubon (Trinidad Guardian)

T&T Football Federation (TTFF) celebrated 100 years at the Joao Havelange Centre of Excellence, Macoya, Tunapuna, on September 5. It was a gala night — spanning 1904-2008 — to celebrate greats including footballers, journalists, heads of leagues and referees. Among the football hierarcy present was visiting Fifa president Sepp Blatter, vice president Austin Jack Warner, Uefa president Michel Platini, TTFF president Oliver Camps and chairman of the English Football Association Lord David Triesman.

Among the referees honoured was Osmond Downer — with a plaque in which was etched One Game One World One Passion — in recognition of Osmond Downer—for his contribution to football.

In his inimitable style, debonair Downer savoured the moment with a few drinks or ‘smallies’ as he called them.

But, on a more judicious note, Downer said, “It is an honour to be recognised after having contributed to the game of football for 48 years. It is a most fitting tribute. Forty eight years is a tremendous milestone. I was driven by my love and passion for the game. It is a beautiful game. It is an honour to serve my country and the Caribbean.”

Downer held the distinction of being the youngest football referee in the country in 1968.

Downer, former president of the T&T Football Referees Association (TTFRA) and chairman of the North Zone of the TTFRA, was privileged to witness the ascendancy of the Strike Squad and the Soca Warriors. The latter represented T&T splendidly at the 2006 World Cup finals, Germany.

He paid kudos to Warner and the TTFF for recognising his sterling contribution.

“It is a fantastic feeling to know you have the respect and admiration of the entire football fraternity locally and internationally,” he said.

Downer was joined by fellow referees Douglas James, George Cumberbatch, Lloyd de Gourville, Ken Laighlin, Richard Ramcharan, Ramesh Ramdhan and Lennox Sirjusingh.

Education, football links

Downer, a former principal of St Augustine Senior Comprehensive School, was instrumental in the development of Intercol football.

The ‘Green Machine’ as it is affectionately called top honours in.

It also produced the likes of coach Michael McComie.

“I have always felt football and sport had an integral role in education. Mens sana in corporeaus sana (A healthy mind in a healthy body.)

“I believe true education and learning and can only take place when there is discipline,” he added.

He lauded the recent signing of the Memorandum of Understanding between Fifa and the University of the West Indies (UWI), at Campus Principal Prof Clement Sankat’s office, at UWI, St Augustine, also on September 5. It provides for the creation of a Fifa chair—the establishment of a Master of Arts in Physical Education and the establishment of a women’s football clinic.

“I share Blatter’s sentiments that a twinning between football and education would rebound to the benefit of the region. Education is important. T&T and the region can expect great dividends from such a partnership.”

On the flip side, Downer has always vented caustic criticism geared toward the development of the game.

In a previous article (June 5,’93) he bluntly stated it was a sad day when the Caribbean had to depend upon foreign referees for its Shell Caribbean Cup finals. He expressed the view there were enough competent referees in T&T, Jamaica and to a lesser extent Barbados.

About Osmond Downer

He was born in Gonzales, Port-of-Spain. While attending St Mary’s College, Port-of-Spain, he sustained a back injury. His dreams of becoming a star footballer were crushed. Undaunted, Downer participated in the referee’s course, and became the youngest international football referee, in 1960.

He attended the University of London, and read for a Degree in Biochemistry. He teaches Human and Social Biology at the Diego Martin Finishing School.

Downer loves curried duck and is a devotee of the History Channel. He enjoys reading and has contributed to articles to the book In the Eye of the Whistle 111: The refereeing at the 1994 World Cup. At Carnival, he assists the steelband fraternity and lists himself as a Minshallite.

Downer has travelled extensively throughout the Caribbean and Europe. Close friends like Austin Lyle and loved ones call him ‘Slim.’

He lives in Diego Martin and is married to Patricia. Downer is the father of Simone, Paul, David and Roelle.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Osmond Downer celebrates 48 years at TTFF’s 100th anniversary
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 07:03:46 AM »
Just want to say to Osmond Downer "thanks"for his services to the game,i must say this was one Referee you just had to respect,he knew the game and was fair,he was one of the guys you don't mess around when he is in the centre and at the same time had a very good relationship with players,he knew us all and what we would do,always had a good word of advice but quick to warn you,definitely one of the stalwarts of T&T Football.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 07:05:04 AM »
he like woman the way he like he football.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 07:44:01 AM »
Just want to say to Osmond Downer "thanks"for his services to the game,i must say this was one Referee you just had to respect,he knew the game and was fair,he was one of the guys you don't mess around when he is in the centre and at the same time had a very good relationship with players,he knew us all and what we would do,always had a good word of advice but quick to warn you,definitely one of the stalwarts of T&T Football.

Coop's I agree to a point.  Down is a thief who used to buy the refs (particularly Maynard) back in the 80's and 90's for his St. Augustine teams to win.  He try to get my brother banned from playing for San Juan because he was about to go in the Fire Services. 

Also, meh eh want to say this out loud but rumor has it he used to mess with them teenage school girls...Again me eh have no confirmation and ah hate to make the accusation but yuh know how we trini is...If so, them fellas should be in jail yes.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 07:46:14 AM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
 :devil:
 :-[
got to love Trinis oui
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 08:06:22 AM »

T&T Football Federation (TTFF) celebrated 100 years at the Joao Havelange Centre of Excellence, Macoya, Tunapuna, on September 5. It was a gala night — spanning 1904-2008

Isn't that 104 years?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 08:09:12 AM »
Fair?  Downer?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ah tell allyuh history is sumting else. One day fuh sure somebody go say Theobald was a great T&T footballer.....and it have people dat go agree!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 08:10:59 AM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 08:09:29 AM »
he like woman the way he like he football.

yuh know about him eh lol i wonder if he still run that finishing school in four roads.. he used to teach human and social bio.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 08:10:47 AM »

Also, meh eh want to say this out loud but rumor has it he used to mess with them teenage school girls...Again me eh have no confirmation and ah hate to make the accusation but yuh know how we trini is...If so, them fellas should be in jail yes.

I heard that also ....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 08:14:08 AM »
Allyuh men puhhin a chilling effect on public recognition ... man gehhin recognised for more than reffin ... ah guess dahis a follow on to all de oddah revelations in de story (de man like he 'smallies' ... and maybe even roast  :devil: curry duck ... the joys of being a public figure.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 08:15:39 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 08:22:49 AM »
T&T Football Federation (TTFF) celebrated 100 years at the Joao Havelange Centre of Excellence, Macoya, Tunapuna, on September 5. It was a gala night — spanning 1904-2008
Isn't that 104 years?
Kicker, is the TTFF
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 08:44:32 AM »
Boy it real hard being a public figure,everybody may have had personal experiences with the guy,i can only go with mine because i know him personally,is there anybody in T&T Football that don't have skeletons in their closets?does that mean they have not contributed in some positive way to the improvement/development of the game in T&T?i know about all the shyt people saying about Downer that does not mean i have to hate the guy,look at the amount of quality players St Augustine produce during his time there and i must say he was a boss Referee,the thing is i'm dealing with Football and don't get into peoples personal lives,i wonder if the people that gave him that award knew this garbage about him that's the question we have to ask,if we really take on things or get into peoples lives nobody get nothing. 

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 09:38:03 AM »
Boy it real hard being a public figure,everybody may have had personal experiences with the guy,i can only go with mine because i know him personally,is there anybody in T&T Football that don't have skeletons in their closets?does that mean they have not contributed in some positive way to the improvement/development of the game in T&T?i know about all the shyt people saying about Downer that does not mean i have to hate the guy,look at the amount of quality players St Augustine produce during his time there and i must say he was a boss Referee,the thing is i'm dealing with Football and don't get into peoples personal lives,i wonder if the people that gave him that award knew this garbage about him that's the question we have to ask,if we really take on things or get into peoples lives nobody get nothing. 

No doubt he was a good referee.... especially when his team wasn't playing..

Nonetheless, he was still fricken crooked.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 11:34:31 AM »
I normally doh get into de public bashing thing but having been at St. Augustine and had to experience the ego that is Osmond Downer, I can honestly say that that man could haul he f**kking ass.  I was never a disciplinary problem for anyone, so this ent about me having axe to grind.  All I would say is that when it came time for me to emigrate that man did his level best to frustrate my family's efforts.  Why??  The reason alone is known to him.  I guess he felt that was his personal way of stemming the 'brain drain' from TnT.

...and even then the rumors about him and young girls were pervasive, was the talk of the school for that matter.  I even heard that that was the basis upon which he subsequently left 'gustine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 12:08:14 PM »
I normally doh get into de public bashing thing but having been at St. Augustine and had to experience the ego that is Osmond Downer, I can honestly say that that man could haul he f**kking ass.  I was never a disciplinary problem for anyone, so this ent about me having axe to grind.  All I would say is that when it came time for me to emigrate that man did his level best to frustrate my family's efforts.  Why??  The reason alone is known to him.  I guess he felt that was his personal way of stemming the 'brain drain' from TnT.

...and even then the rumors about him and young girls were pervasive, was the talk of the school for that matter.  I even heard that that was the basis upon which he subsequently left 'gustine.
counsillor ah was waitin fuh yuh to retort.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 12:14:26 PM »
My lasting impression bout de man is de different times I see him walking about de vale drunk boxin day.....

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 12:20:39 PM »
Years maybe as a pedophile if the accusation are true ,and then get an life time award lol ,trini good oui  .
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 12:22:22 PM by Quagmire »

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 04:34:41 PM »
yes yes guys I know the stories about Downer but lets give his kudos as a ref and contributor to Trinidad and Tobago football as man he needs to check his morality

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 07:56:36 PM »
wayz... all of that?that's my family... enuff w/ the accusations nah  >:(

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 08:21:50 PM »
so cause the man is family ,we have to forget he use to feel up all them boys from St Augustine ?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 10:06:26 PM »

Likewise.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 10:18:28 PM »

well is ah good thing yuh didnt want to say it loud.  :rotfl:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 10:53:29 PM »
D man is a legend crook or no crook pedophile or no pedophile but a legend
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 12:34:59 AM »

Likewise.

Nah I was trying hard tuh bite mih tongue and not say nutten...but I ent go lie every time I think about dat it does sour mih.  Ah mean, ah still overcome it and all, but the shit was just so bizarre and inexplicable.  I was never on his radar before... he didn't know me and my family...all you have to do is sign up some papers fuh de embassy and you fukking with my future so?

Ah guess ah was supposed tuh stay 'gustine, collect mih 'A' levels and go wuk MTS  *steups*

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 11:45:51 AM »

Coop's I agree to a point.  Down is a thief who used to buy the refs (particularly Maynard) back in the 80's and 90's for his St. Augustine teams to win.  He try to get my brother banned from playing for San Juan because he was about to go in the Fire Services. 

Ah hear this nuff times (i talking about ref tiefing for gustine).  Also recall they rob Fatima to win intercol one yr when pollonais was  offside by a mile and score. Maynard was the ref, linesman raise the flag all kinda ting. 
Then again wherever yuh go in TT dem ref does give yuh blade. 

One time this man had gustine in 2nd place ready to go big 7, but so want to win east zone make them replay vs Eldo saying field was too small by 1 or 2 yds.
Eldo bust they tail , Grimes rest a beat through a man leg on the same 2 yds Downer beg for. Gustine finish 3rd and no big seven. 

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 12:00:02 PM »
Downer is a asshole. Every Panorama he does be on the savannag stage with a megaphone directing traffic like he there in some sort of official capacity. One year my moms was on the board of pantrinbago, come to find out nobody never hire him and or ask him to be there. He just decide to come out with a megaphone and direct traffic.
Not to mention he have a child with a young girl on my aunt st in Diego. The child cyah be no more than 3.

Més que un club.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 12:11:06 PM »
D man is a legend crook or no crook pedophile or no pedophile but a legend

A legendary crook or legendary pedophile...or both?  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2008, 01:50:23 PM »
Maybe both a legend we sure
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2008, 06:02:38 PM »
as ah ex gustineeee mehself, all i hafta say bout downer and he accomplishments in dey world of football is congrats ya did nuff for gustine and football. i'll never forget when gustine won intercol and he dey waving flag like all stars flagwoman dey next day roun' dey school. we almost get ah holiday oui......

but downer ya is still ah mudda cyat where my education was concerned. likewise bakes story, dat man try he damnest for me and meh 2 oder qualified friends not to get ein form 6 in he school. for whatever reasons is beyond me to this day. ah wasn't ah dunce, ah had all 8 CXC passes eh. Is only after meh mudda blow she horn hard in he office and threaten he arse to dey ministry ah education and when she call names she knew, datz how we get ein.

as for dey 'rumors' bout dey girls and dem ummm "cawf"
st john road and bates trace santa magarita....

ah gone >:(

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2008, 08:00:17 PM »
WDA? At this point in de proceedings ah wondering wha de obituary going to read like ... ah suddenly thinking bout de one Dutty post de other day.

1]; } ?>