May 01, 2024, 04:42:22 PM

Author Topic: The Yellow Submarine ( Villareal ) leads the La liga race  (Read 5601 times)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Yellow Submarine ( Villareal ) leads the La liga race
« on: September 25, 2008, 06:19:57 PM »
An invincible Villarreal speed past Racing to go top after best ever start in La Liga
A 2-0 victory over the Cantabrian outfit put the Submarine in top spot in La Liga with 10 points from four league encounters, extending in the process its run without defeat to ten games
More photos
Two first half headers from Capdevila (27’) and Llorente (32’) were enough to see off the challenge of Racing Santander in the fourth day of the new La Liga season.  Villarreal’s victory stretched the Yellow’s unbeaten league run to 10, the last defeat being a 0-1 loss at Almeria last season.  It also means the home side has notched 10 points in its first four matches for the first time in its history.

After a less than promising start that saw the home side under pressure from Racing and grateful to Diego Lopez for winning his one on one battle with Valera, Villarreal took control with two knockout blows within the space of five first half minutes.  Angel on the right flank was the architect of both goals, the first coming in the 27th minutes when his cross found Capdevila at the far post to head past ToNo.  Just five minutes later after the best move of the match involving Pires, Senna and Cazorla, Angel’s cross found Llorente who headed past the Racing keeper.

With a 2-0 cushion, Pellegrini’s men held on for a comfortable victory, and despite the occasional counter attack from Valera, could in fact have increased the winning margin had efforts from Nihat and Senna been more accurate.

...let me put it in trini style ...they score den take way de ball from de odder side ! .....
An know all yuh feel ah sleeping, but I wide awake. All the former years man wpudda done post ah La liga thread and all kinda big discussion going on ...now an see man reach QRC and St Anthony's before la liga but I know why  :devil:  all dem big side behind de yellows ......

Ah sailin wid de boat sink or float ..ah sailin wid de boat !!!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: The Yellow Submarine ( Villareal ) leads the La liga race
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 06:35:41 PM »
The lead post reeks of the same desperation as another one earlier today congratulating a particular team on a RARE victory... 8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 07:08:57 PM »
Doh hate on d man for backin his side,buh anyways tha lead is temporary
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 07:13:49 PM »

if again it temporary

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=575901&sec=europe&cc=3888

La Liga: Villa double puts Valencia back on top

MADRID, Sept 25 (Reuters) - David Villa rose above the mediocrity to score both goals for Valencia in the 2-0 victory at promoted Malaga on Thursday that returned them to the top of the Primera Liga.
The Spain striker was alert to head Juan Mata's pull-back into the net after 71 minutes and, after Malaga were reduced to 10 men at the end, he sped away unopposed to score his fourth of the campaign.

Up to that point Malaga, who were seeking their first goal of the season, had looked the most likely to score in a game of little quality.
Valencia are top on goal difference with 10 points from four games, ahead of Villarreal, who beat Racing Santander 2-0 at home on Wednesday.
Champions Real Madrid and city rivals Atletico Madrid, who both won on Wednesday, are third and fourth respectively with nine points. Sevilla are a point back in fifth.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 07:57:13 PM »
Jai I admire your dedication to Villa every season. Villa is a goat in a horse race. But every man have they side for better or for worse.

Més que un club.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 05:16:50 AM »

if again it temporary

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=575901&sec=europe&cc=3888

La Liga: Villa double puts Valencia back on top

MADRID, Sept 25 (Reuters) - David Villa rose above the mediocrity to score both goals for Valencia in the 2-0 victory at promoted Malaga on Thursday that returned them to the top of the Primera Liga.
The Spain striker was alert to head Juan Mata's pull-back into the net after 71 minutes and, after Malaga were reduced to 10 men at the end, he sped away unopposed to score his fourth of the campaign.

Up to that point Malaga, who were seeking their first goal of the season, had looked the most likely to score in a game of little quality.
Valencia are top on goal difference with 10 points from four games, ahead of Villarreal, who beat Racing Santander 2-0 at home on Wednesday.
Champions Real Madrid and city rivals Atletico Madrid, who both won on Wednesday, are third and fourth respectively with nine points. Sevilla are a point back in fifth.

You of course know that La liga winners are not determined by goal difference right ? ...but these are early days yet .

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 05:20:34 AM »
Jai I admire your dedication to Villa every season. Villa is a goat in a horse race. But every man have they side for better or for worse.

...except that the goat real fast !!! ....how did the goat finish in the league last year again !!! ... we qualified for  Europe and already drew with the Champions of Europe ..in old Trafford !!! ...not bad for a team considered a goat in a horse race !!! .... undefeated after 10 games this season ...that can only happen if is other goats we playing ...and I sure Small magician eh go take dat so !!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 05:23:43 AM »
The lead post reeks of the same desperation as another one earlier today congratulating a particular team on a RARE victory... 8)

A rare victory ??? ..undefeated  after 10 games this season ?? ...make that several rare victories ! ..and several more rare ones to come !
Palos ...yuh heading in de wrong direction ..if yuh dont stop now ..when de water reach yuh nose ...ah eh go be able to help yuh ...I kyah swim dat far ! stay in de shallow boy ...stay in de shallow !

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 06:39:02 AM »

You of course know that La liga winners are not determined by goal difference right ? ...but these are early days yet .

Of course I know... it is head to head... but Valencia ent play Villareal yet...
I just giving yuh beans how by de time yuh make yuh post.. Valencia done catch dem...  ;D

Doh study it Jai.. ah have plenty respect for yuh Goat...

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 07:04:42 AM »

Of course I know... it is head to head... but Valencia ent play Villareal yet...
I just giving yuh beans how by de time yuh make yuh post.. Valencia done catch dem...  ;D

Doh study it Jai.. ah have plenty respect for yuh Goat...
:beermug:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 12:31:17 PM »
la Liga looks like it will have more balance than the other top leagues this year. I expect Villareal, Valencia, Atletico, Madrid, Barca and Sevilla to all be in with a chance well into the new year. Daiz meh league  ;D

Sempre BARCA

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 12:33:35 PM »
they give altidore a sweat yet?

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 05:53:33 AM »
..back on top afetr another round. The top three from last season got wins in strange circumstances ...; \We scraped a win afyter beng outplayed by Sporting ...a team which collected 13 goals in their last two games. It was one of those things common in football ... ateam domionates but does not score and the dominated team gets a chance ..Goal ! goodnight sweet pea !
Barca got a dubious penalty when it was clear that the Racing player played the ball before Eto'o.
Rudd " the goal machine " Van Miracle scored in what must have been added adde time to give Real the victory.
la Liga is proving to be an even closer contest this season.
Villareal will take them how they come ...4 straight victories and still undefeated this season ..... The New .....

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 03:27:45 PM »
Barca played Espanyol not Racing and that penalty was no more dubious than d cristiano penalty,such is football.
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 03:37:24 PM »
Barca played Espanyol not Racing and that penalty was no more dubious than d cristiano penalty,such is football.
yes it was Espanol ..my mistake ..I did not see the Man united game but read many comments on the penalty. Some players have reputations which precede them I guess Christiano is one of them.
Maanwhile Valencia joins Villareal as league leaders ( both teams from Valencia ) so is the big side and the small side from de same area that leading de charge.
Next week the jammin starts with European second round and league ....
I was pleased to see Rossi back after injury and he scored the winner. As I said we did not deserve to win based on the performance ..but we will take it thank you .... I will never forget the Arsenal game where the opposite happened ...so yes ..such is football.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 07:20:32 PM »
..back on top afetr another round. The top three from last season got wins in strange circumstances ...; \We scraped a win afyter beng outplayed by Sporting ...a team which collected 13 goals in their last two games. It was one of those things common in football ... ateam domionates but does not score and the dominated team gets a chance ..Goal ! goodnight sweet pea !
Barca got a dubious penalty when it was clear that the Racing player played the ball before Eto'o.
Rudd " the goal machine " Van Miracle scored in what must have been added adde time to give Real the victory.
Villareal will take them how they come ...4 straight victories and still undefeated this season ..... The New .....

barca penalty wasn't dubious at all. i risk having no credibility being a Barca fan, but i watch the foul over and over and it was pretty clear. for one..the defender tackled from behind which some refs calling even if he got all ball. Also, for anyone who dares to look again will see his knee clips Samuel's knee then the defender takes the ball. clear foul. this was a hotly contested Catalan derby and the ref blow in the last minute at Espanyol and the protestations from the Espanyol were relatively mild...the clearest sign the ref got it right.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 07:27:36 PM »
as i said when you first started torking bout this side

fire bun de submarines
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2008, 10:30:41 AM »
as i said when you first started torking bout this side

fire bun de submarines

Yeah but in dis case Water more dan Fire  :devil:!!!

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2008, 10:34:56 AM »
they give altidore a sweat yet?

I believe they keeping Altidore in the wings ... it seems he is ineligible for the group stage of the European Champions league. He looked real impressve especially on the left wing when he made his submarine debut though .... yuh know how we does do it ...we doh put players under pressure ..just give dem time to develop .
I always thought a powereful attacker was lacking in the team and Altidore with his speed and obvious srength looks the real deal. I expect to see good things from him before the season is ended.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 10:38:52 AM »

yeah these calls go with you sometime and against you the other. The ref has one chance to get it right though so I always sympathize with the ref. We can look from all angles but he does not have that option.
La Liga is starting to shape up now ... I am a la liga fan as you know. The big sides are starting to put up the victories. It is a very competitive league.

barca penalty wasn't dubious at all. i risk having no credibility being a Barca fan, but i watch the foul over and over and it was pretty clear. for one..the defender tackled from behind which some refs calling even if he got all ball. Also, for anyone who dares to look again will see his knee clips Samuel's knee then the defender takes the ball. clear foul. this was a hotly contested Catalan derby and the ref blow in the last minute at Espanyol and the protestations from the Espanyol were relatively mild...the clearest sign the ref got it right.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 02:30:15 PM »
Interesting piece of trivia:

Barca fielded 7 former youth team payers in Starting 11 against Espanyol : Valdes, Pique, Puyol, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi. I believe that all but Iniesta and Messi were actually born in Catalonia. Also, Bojan came on as a sub. Espanyol started 6 former youth team players of their own. The local derby had a real local feel. I'm not one to care too much about these things, but I still take notice when big clubs bring through their own youths.

And it's not necessarily because Guardiola is in charge....last time this many former youth team players started for Barca was actually a year ago under Rijkaard vs Villareal - Valdes, Oleguer, Puyol, Xavi, Bojan, Iniesta and Messi

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 06:40:01 PM »

Barca fielded 7 former youth team payers in Starting 11 against Espanyol : Valdes, Pique, Puyol, Busquets, Xavi, Iniesta and Messi. I believe that all but Iniesta and Messi were actually born in Catalonia. Also, Bojan came on as a sub. Espanyol started 6 former youth team players of their own. The local derby had a real local feel. I'm not one to care too much about these things, but I still take notice when big clubs bring through their own youths.

And it's not necessarily because Guardiola is in charge....last time this many former youth team players started for Barca was actually a year ago under Rijkaard vs Villareal - Valdes, Oleguer, Puyol, Xavi, Bojan, Iniesta and Messi

Interesting .... here is another piece of trivia ...the entire Atletico Bilbao team must be locals ..... to play for that team you must be from Bilbao. ...yuh ever hear dem buying anybody ? ..amazing how they have managed to keep up.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 06:58:23 PM »

Interesting .... here is another piece of trivia ...the entire Atletico Bilbao team must be locals ..... to play for that team you must be from Bilbao. ...yuh ever hear dem buying anybody ? ..amazing how they have managed to keep up.

Not from Bilbao, but from Basque Country.  Bilbao is the largest city in Basque Country, Spain....but players don't have to be "from Bilbao"...just from the Basque region.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 08:00:05 AM »

Not from Bilbao, but from Basque Country.  Bilbao is the largest city in Basque Country, Spain....but players don't have to be "from Bilbao"...just from the Basque region.

Also the Basque region "pais vasco" encompasses 3 provinces of France... so Athletic have had "foreign" players run out for them... e.g. Bixente Lizarazu is French Basque and has played for Bilbao and Les Bleus. Also if you of basque descent  you are deemed basque... so we have seen a brazilian somewhat recently(yes they all over oui), various south americans and even ah philipino play for Bilbao.

Real Sociedad and Osasuna used to have a "cantera" policy too but gave it up a few years ago... Bilbao is the only remaining one with a very large majority of fans (over 80% i think) who rather see the club relegated than turn back on the cantera policy...

Now to chook fire... can this Nationalistic approach and pride be considered racist? We may never see any black or any coloured players playing for Bilbao ever because of this policy! Because while you can claim basque "citizenship" through descent and be considered for Bilbao... a simple migrant to Basque country will never be...

It would be interesting to see the views of the board

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 08:04:18 AM »

Also the Basque region "pais vasco" encompasses 3 provinces of France... so Athletic have had "foreign" players run out for them... e.g. Bixente Lizarazu is French Basque and has played for Bilbao and Les Bleus. Also if you of basque descent  you are deemed basque... so we have seen a brazilian somewhat recently(yes they all over oui), various south americans and even ah philipino play for Bilbao.

Real Sociedad and Osasuna used to have a "cantera" policy too but gave it up a few years ago... Bilbao is the only remaining one with a very large majority of fans (over 80% i think) who rather see the club relegated than turn back on the cantera policy...

Now to chook fire... can this Nationalistic approach and pride be considered racist? We may never see any black or any coloured players playing for Bilbao ever because of this policy! Because while you can claim basque "citizenship" through descent and be considered for Bilbao... a simple migrant to Basque country will never be...

Good talk....good post.

Ah stayin' away from the fire chookin' part though.  ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 12:30:50 PM »

Not racist imo. The practice does not accept or reject anyone based on skin color or ethnicity. If you are black and born in Basque country, you are eligible to represent. If you're white and not born in Basque country..you're not eligible.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 01:47:54 PM »

Not racist imo. The practice does not accept or reject anyone based on skin color or ethnicity. If you are black and born in Basque country, you are eligible to represent. If you're white and not born in Basque country..you're not eligible.

I currently do not have enough information to confirm or deny that assertion... but i see ppl ent really want to touch this one...
In my opinion... it is not borne out of racism but more nationalist pride within de confines of a united Spain... same way there are many ppl who would prefer barca and espanyol to remain all catalan clubs... The team represents that corner of Spain's heart and soul... and that is that...
I have met and hung out with Bilbao supporters and experienced no sort of ill will at all... in fact i hazard to guess that a half basque player once good enough would be accepted.

I thought I would ask this question in light of the "How come no black players play for Argentina" and other such threads that have appeared recently

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 04:50:32 PM »
big, big free kick goal by Senna today..  :beermug:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 06:12:24 PM »

I currently do not have enough information to confirm or deny that assertion... but i see ppl ent really want to touch this one...
In my opinion... it is not borne out of racism but more nationalist pride within de confines of a united Spain... same way there are many ppl who would prefer barca and espanyol to remain all catalan clubs... The team represents that corner of Spain's heart and soul... and that is that...
I have met and hung out with Bilbao supporters and experienced no sort of ill will at all... in fact i hazard to guess that a half basque player once good enough would be accepted.

I thought I would ask this question in light of the "How come no black players play for Argentina" and other such threads that have appeared recently

U hit the nail on the head. I think the way to think of it is that these teams are highly political symbols of regions that have large sections who want independence and have some degree of autonomy. At one time Barca was practically the Catalonia 'national team'. These ideas are born from that nationalistic idea and some still cling to those ideas.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Yellow submarine outshines the Greeks
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 12:42:52 PM »
Villarreal General Manager Upset By Fans Shining Lasers In Greece
Jose Manuel Llaneza has declared his happiness that his side have made it to the quarter-finals...
11 Mar 2009 16:39:10
 Photo GalleryZoomLlaneza - Villarreal (Marca)
Related Links
Teams
Villarreal
Villarreal general manager, Jose Manuel Llaneza, has declared today that something must be done to prevent fans from shining lasers onto the pitch, as was done at the Panathinaikos match last night.

Fans from the home side reportedly shone lasers to try and distract the Villarreal players and Llaneza told Marca that this needs to be stopped.

"It must be cut out. It was constant during the game and it is dangerous," he explained.

"The same thing is true with flares, but the risk is smaller. I hope it does not happen again because an accident could happen and then it would be very regretful."

The Villarreal chief did have some positive words after the game though, as he expressed his happiness at reaching the quarter-finals.

"Yet again we are a team of Spain. I think that all the football fans were happy that we won. I hope that we do not forget about the league and can play in the Champions League next season too," he said.

"At this stage of the competition you cannot have preferences with draws. There are only big teams and they all come in superb form. I hope that there will be three Spanish sides in the next round

1]; } ?>