April 29, 2024, 05:16:48 AM

Author Topic: Scotland delighted to miss Trinidad's next games.  (Read 4972 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Scotland delighted to miss Trinidad's next games.
« on: September 26, 2008, 04:21:47 AM »
South Wales Evening Post.

Jason Scotland admits he is delighted to be out of the latest Trinidad & Tobago squad after claiming he has been treated ridiculously when on international duty. Scotland has 32 caps for his country and went to the World Cup with the Soca Warriors in 2006.

But it appears the 29-year-old's T&T career could be coming to an end after a wasted trip home earlier this month. Scotland was forced to travel to the Caribbean and then America despite telling coach Francisco Maturana that he did not feel fit enough to be there.The Swansea City star was then riled when Maturana left him on the bench for both World Cup qualifying games.

"I was disappointed to travel and then not play any part," Scotland says.

"I told the manager that I had just had an operation and he said he didn't know anything about it, which I thought was quite amazing.

"I told him I would have preferred to stay in Swansea, train hard and get some fitness back because of the operation, but he said he'd seen I was playing for my club side so he called me up.

"It's something you can't get your head around really."

Scotland made the long trek home having only just got back up and running at the Liberty Stadium following a summer operation on his stomach.

"I thought they knew I'd just come back from injury and that they wouldn't bring me into the squad for no reason," he adds.

"I thought I was going to be involved and was disappointed when I wasn't.

"I told the manager that and I told my manager here too.

"I'd played a couple of games for Swansea but I still wasn't match fit before the international break, and the trip certainly didn't help me."

Roberto Martinez blamed Scotland's wasted voyage for a couple of leggy displays against Crystal Palace and Derby County. The Swansea boss talked of T&T's "low-intensity training" and hinted that Scotland, as well as Liberty colleague Dennis Lawrence, could call time on his international career.

"I'm not going to say I've retired," says Scotland.

"It's difficult. I've been around the Trinidad & Tobago set-up for a while and you just never know what's going to happen with football back home.

"If they call me up again, I will probably have a word with the manager when the time comes.

"It makes no sense for me to travel nine hours from London and not play.

"I would be better off staying in Swansea and getting some work done.
"At the moment, I'd say there's a big question mark over my international future."

That was reflected when Maturana named his squad for next month's return matches against Guatemala and the USA this week.

Though T&T are hardly awash with quality players — and star striker Kenwyne Jones is injured — Scotland was not included in a 22-man party.

"It's strange," he goes on.

"The manager dropped Dennis for the last game because, he said, Dennis wasn't playing for his club.

"But there are other players in the squad who don't even have a club, they are unattached. It doesn't make sense.

"I'm not in the squad for the next two games and I'm delighted about that.

"The last couple of years the treatment I've had from Trinidad & Tobago has been quite ridiculous.

"I'm delighted I'm not involved because it means I can concentrate on club football and trying to score some goals."

Scotland has just one strike to his name so far this season, the winner at Plymouth last month. And, after 29 goals last term, he admits the step up to Championship football has not gone unnoticed.

"At times I am more isolated than last year," he says.

"No disrespect to League One players, but I'm up against some better defenders now. The majority of players you come up against in the Championship have played at the highest level.

"They are quicker and fitter and they know how to mark, so when you're playing as a lone striker it's tougher to outfox two defenders."

It shows. Scotland has had few opportunities to display his finishing ability in a Swansea side who need to score more goals.

"I haven't had that many chances and I don't think I will get that many," he admits.

"That means the chances I do get I have to take.

"You have to take the half-chances in the Championship because you're not going to get as many as you do in League One."

Given that the home side have won four out of four on their own patch this term, Reading tomorrow is likely to prove Scotland's point. Swansea, you fancy, will need to seize what opportunities come their way if they are to trouble the Royals.

Scotland, who looked close to best in the win over Cardiff, proved last season that he is the club's best seizer of opportunities. This weekend would be a good time to remind everyone of that.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland delighted to miss Trinidad's next games.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 04:51:28 AM »
South Wales Evening Post.

"I was disappointed to travel and then not play any part," Scotland says.
"I told the manager that I had just had an operation and he said he didn't know anything about it, which I thought was quite amazing.
"I told him I would have preferred to stay in Swansea, train hard and get some fitness back because of the operation, but he said he'd seen I was playing for my club side so he called me up.
"It's something you can't get your head around really."
Mats, where the heck were you man ???
and TTFF did not know either
I eh kno what to say.......speechless
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 05:03:52 AM »
"The manager dropped Dennis for the last game because, he said, Dennis wasn't playing for his club.

"But there are other players in the squad who don't even have a club, they are unattached. It doesn't make sense.

touches there goes your theory
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 05:04:32 AM »
I have some sympathy for him, especially the TTFF not knowing or not passing info on to the coach that he had just had an operation...but come on!! loads of players does travel thousands of miles to just be squad members, not just Mr Scotland. He is not the only Foreign based T&T striker, infact he should have felt proud to be named in the squad at all considering he ain't really tearing it up at present.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 05:08:59 AM »
I have some sympathy for him, especially the TTFF not knowing or not passing info on to the coach that he had just had an operation...but come on!! loads of players does travel thousands of miles to just be squad members, not just Mr Scotland. He is not the only Foreign based T&T striker, infact he should have felt proud to be named in the squad at all considering he ain't really tearing it up at present.

???  go back and check how much times they do him that over the years. he is the only consistent striker we had in the top leagues fuh years. and calling ah man across the pond fuh nuttin doh make sense on any level. any extras fuh the bench should be from the pro league
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 05:19:57 AM »
???  go back and check how much times they do him that over the years. he is the only consistent striker we had in the top leagues fuh years. and calling ah man across the pond fuh nuttin doh make sense on any level. any extras fuh the bench should be from the pro league

I am simply stating a fact....he talks as if he is the only player this has happened too. It has happened to many, many others. As for devious reasons as to why he has been left on the bench by the present and other past T&T coaches, I'll leave that for you and Mr Scotland to speculate on.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 05:24:23 AM »
Hard Lucks Scotty... Thank you for having the balls to confirm Maturana is a c**t

When he gone you will be back....never fear

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 05:27:56 AM »

I am simply stating a fact....he talks as if he is the only player this has happened too. It has happened to many, many others. As for devious reasons as to why he has been left on the bench by the present and other past T&T coaches, I'll leave that for you and Mr Scotland to speculate on.

so because everybody does it makes it right?  would you do it?
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 05:37:46 AM »

Scotland does have a bit of an attitude, but I think his frustration stems from what has happened to him over the last five years. When he in form he eh getting call, and when he get call he eh gettin no run. A typical example was back in 2004, when we went to play Scotland. Jason was in form at de time, having scored a few goals for Dundee. You would figure that being in form, and being already in Scotland, and being familiar wit the opposition would have put him on the squad. Of course that didn't happen. So he went and buy ah ticket to go home for ah lil holiday, and den dey decide tuh call him up because somebody get injured. He didn't accept the call up, which I think was ill-advised, but you get the point. Then their was the supposed hairstyle ting wit he and Bertille. Even though he has 32 caps, he has never had a consistent run in the national set-up.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 05:49:42 AM »
I don't deny these points...and I am not a professional baller, maybe I have a naive outlook; but for me.... just to be recognised as one of my country's best ballers is good enough for me. I would voice my opinions to the coach privately but I would never risk the chance of burning bridges by voicing my bitterness through the press. Representing your country in any sport should be considered an honour not a god given right!

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 06:22:50 AM »
I don't deny these points...and I am not a professional baller, maybe I have a naive outlook; but for me.... just to be recognised as one of my country's best ballers is good enough for me. I would voice my opinions to the coach privately but I would never risk the chance of burning bridges by voicing my bitterness through the press. Representing your country in any sport should be considered an honour not a god given right!

nuff respect for your opinion Rodney, but everybody different, and while ah sure Scotty does be proud to get call up, it have to be real frustrating to be going thru the madness dat he going thru (for all these years), re-read Tallman post again and see the treatment meted out to dis youth.

me eh feel he burning no bridges, look if Pacho didn't know he was recovering from ah injury (dat is de most unbelievable thing ah hear in a while), he probably will never know what Scotty say bout him. oh, and me eh know if Scotty does talk spanish ;)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 07:07:54 AM »
best wishes Scotty.... tell the staff and de TTFF to go fu#ck deyself...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 07:30:47 AM »
Boy some peeps on here is really something else,they does get on as though we can't do without those overseas Pros,if anybody say they didn't know Scotland was recuperating from an operation they lying,JW/TTFF,Pacho/Coaching staff,everybody on the site because that's how i knew,it was stated here,what beats me it this,although these are injured peeps on here still find they should be playing for T&T,Scotland name comes up every time you all mention a team,it's a set of injured or men who getting back to fitness we calling for example Yorke,Carlos,Scotland,Kenwyne eh fully recovered yet they have him on the team already,he was not 100%when he got lick up against England because they force him to play and people don't want Keane to be annoyed.

I would not be against Scotland for the way he feels,it's an opportunity players jump at when called to represent their country,but i still feel if he was not in any condition to play he should have said it.This brings me to this point,sometimes i'm sure players are just called to make up numbers or because the selectors are being pressured to call them,they know those guys not going out there it's the reason why T&T is not predictable,it's all kind of politricks taking place.When a player is delighted to miss T&T next games it should tell us something,anybody that loves this game(T&T) should never have to feel this way.        

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 07:42:52 AM »
At the same time, they have to call up about 22 to prepre, then name only 18 for the game and then start 11 and sub a max of 3.  So somebody always get the shaft.  However, I could sympathize with Scotty if that always happening to him.  That is TT football for you.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 09:12:07 AM »

touches there goes your theory

Makes no sense.  Why did they play him against Guatemala then?

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 09:38:40 AM »
bottom line Pacho is a ass
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2008, 09:41:31 AM »
Nun ah we have walked in his Shoes ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2008, 10:39:21 AM »
Is that an excuse or he was really injured..I never hear anything about him being injured...yet he playing every game for his club

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2008, 10:47:32 AM »
Is that an excuse or he was really injured..I never hear anything about him being injured...yet he playing every game for his club
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=37268.msg450224#msg450224

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 11:03:59 AM »
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=37268.msg450224#msg450224

oh..i didn't know

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2008, 11:15:19 AM »

I would not be against Scotland for the way he feels,it's an opportunity players jump at when called to represent their country,but i still feel if he was not in any condition to play he should have said it.This brings me to this point,sometimes i'm sure players are just called to make up numbers or because the selectors are being pressured to call them,they know those guys not going out there it's the reason why T&T is not predictable,it's all kind of politricks taking place.When a player is delighted to miss T&T next games it should tell us something,anybody that loves this game(T&T) should never have to feel this way.        

But Coops the man said he wasnt fully fit and Maturana say he eh know nutten about that.. Why call him up if you not planning to use him?? Imagine we down 2-0 against the USA at half time and you would think that the coach would make some offensive changes, yet he still leave him riding pine.

I fully agree it is an honor to represent your country, but their is no pride to be gained from just being called up yet still not getting an opportunity to do so.

I sympathise with him.. It not easy to fly thousands of miles across the world to sit on a bench on such a repetitive basis.

Scotland basically has done as much over the last couple years to state his case, but is frustration after frustration...  Imagine yuh banging 30 goals a season setting records for your club, but yuh cant crack the starting lineup with Stern and KJ in front of you. But even after Stern get frozen out and KJ injured, STILL yuh fly across the planet to bench for man like Andre Toussaint and Jerrol Forbes.

That sort of thing would disillusion even the most patriotic and patient professional..

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2008, 11:48:27 AM »
I just hope he don't need a work permit any time soon.  ::)
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2008, 12:00:18 PM »
Scotland need to shut his mouth.

He has a legitimate gripe but this bitching in the media isn't doing anything to solve the situation...first Facebook,  now this.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 12:18:45 PM »

He has a legitimate gripe but this bitching in the media isn't doing anything to solve the situation...first Facebook,  now this.

Offline TRUwarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 12:22:50 PM »

D man right.....this hatta be the only country to have played in the last world cup that have men who eh sign with ah club on dey roster, and have top scorers in england riding the bench, and have ah set of inexperienced shithongs playin in front of proven professionals...politricks will be our downfall....scotland has d balls tuh comment bout the nonsense

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 12:33:32 PM »

D man right.....this hatta be the only country to have played in the last world cup that have men who eh sign with ah club on dey roster, and have top scorers in england riding the bench, and have ah set of inexperienced shithongs playin in front of proven professionals...politricks will be our downfall....scotland has d balls tuh comment bout the nonsense

Thats why de man said "legitimate gripe"...No one is saying Scotland is wrong for feeling this way....yuh missin de point...

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 01:04:34 PM »

Thats why de man said "legitimate gripe"...No one is saying Scotland is wrong for feeling this way....yuh missin de point...

If its a legitimate gripe then why should he give a f*ck if he explains it to the media? If anything, it raises more awareness to his situation and discontent for Maturana - something Scotland would like people to know.

It might not resolve the situation, but what will? At least he gets to vent his frustrations. He obviously cares about T&T football.
Hart for president

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 01:12:35 PM »
well as ah man who could relate having travelled far to nuff games just to get bench i eh blaming scotland nuh.. lol

i think Scotland reach ah point where he give up with regards to this current regime.. He not getting any younger, and that last useless trek was probably the last straw.. Remind me of the Trezeguet situation with France...

What did he do on facebook?

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 01:18:38 PM »
A national team coach who is unaware of the fitness level of his players is unacceptable

That's the only "point" Scotland have as far as I can see.

He was called to be part of a training squad to prepare for WCQ games

He was subsequently selected as part of an 18 man squad to represent his country in those games

Nowhere did it state that he was guaranteed a start or a run out...even a cobo sweat.

Game conditions and situations determine who plays unless you're an automatic pick which Scotland clearly is not.

It was the same for him under Beenie.  He didn't see a second on de field in Germany but he was happy to be included then.

He is well within his right to refuse the call to come back given his history of lack of playing time.  I wouldn't blame him for that all.  But if by some MIRACLE, T&T make it to SA 2010, watch and see who go eat he biscuit and hush he mout bout playin time.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:25:20 PM by palos »
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 01:22:26 PM »
A national team coach who is unaware of the fitness level of his players is unacceptable

That's the only "point" Scotland have as far as I can see.

He was called to be part of a training squad to prepare for WCQ games

He was subsequently selected as part of an 18 man squad to represent his country in those games

Nowhere did it state that he was guaranteed a start or a run out...even a cobo sweat.

Game conditions and situations determine who plays unless you're an automatic pick which Scotland clearly is not.

It was the same for him under Beenie.  He didn't see a second on de field in Germany but he was happy to be included then.

He is well within his right to refuse the call to come back given his history of lack of playing time.  I wouldn't blame him for that all.  But if by some MIRACLE, T&T make it to SA 2010, watch and see who go eat he biscuit and hush he mout bout playin time.

Good post
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 01:25:31 PM by palos »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>