April 27, 2024, 10:39:25 AM

Author Topic: CONCACAF doesn't deserve three and a half World Cup spots  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CONCACAF doesn't deserve three and a half World Cup spots
« on: September 26, 2008, 12:46:27 PM »
CONCACAF doesn't deserve three and a half World Cup spots
By Noah Davis (goal.com)

During his tour of Africa, FIFA president Sepp Blatter hinted at changing the qualification system for the World Cup to provide more opportunity for teams from the continent to make an impact on football's biggest stage.

"We will have to change the numbers, but we'll do it step-by-step," Blatter told Goal.com. "One day we will open the World Cup more."

The president is hinting at a revamping of the regional breakdowns. Currently 13 teams from Europe (UEFA), five from Africa (CAF), four from South America (CONMEBOL), four from Asia (AFC), three from CONCACAF automatically qualify for the final round of the World Cup, while two additional teams from CONMEBOL, AFC, CONCACAF or Oceania get in as well depending on home-and-home play-in games. As the host country in 2010, South Africa will also qualify, giving the continent six teams in the finals.

Because of the intense politics of international soccer, any large change to the schema would take a tremendous amount of time and isn't likely to happen in the near future. (Europe would fight tooth and nail against any change that was likely to decrease the number of teams that qualified from the region.) But I'd like to offer the first step: giving CONCACAF's half place to AFC, starting with the 2014 World Cup qualifying.

Simply put, there's no reason why the the North and Central American region deserves the chance to get four teams into the World Cup final. Beyond Mexico and the United States, the quality of play is simply lacking. More importantly, as a whole, CONCACAF isn't getting better nearly as fast as the teams in CAF are. Sure, the United States is (too slowly) improving and Mexico will always remain a threat in international play, despite its propensity to underachieve, but beyond that, it's hard to see any other team advancing beyond the first round.

In the past three World Cups, no team from CONCACAF other then Mexico and the United States have gotten into the second round. Jamaica and Costa Rica came in third in 1998 and 2002, respectively, while in 2006, Costa Rica and Trinidad and Tobago came in last in their groups (as did the U.S.). To compared to the rest of the world, the region is getting worse and after watching the qualification stages for the 2010 Cup, it's clearer and clearer that this trend will continue.

Africa, on the other hand, is increasingly producing more quality teams. As a whole, CAF still isn't there -- the squads are still disorganized and flawed -- but the natural talent and athleticism of the continent as a whole bodes well for the future. Results in the World Cup have so far been disappointing -- out of fifteen teams that played in the past three World Cups, only two have advanced into the second round, and none did in 2006 -- but the promise is much greater. Any number of teams from the continent could break through, and we need to help that happen.

Increasing the quality of soccer in Africa has been a pet project of Blatter's and he's determined to see it through to completion. Giving CONCACAF's half spot to CAF isn't the whole answer, but if things keep progressing at their current pace, by 2014 the continent will deserve a shot to get six teams into the World Cup. It's a small step for sure, but one that needs to be taken.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CONCACAF doesn't deserve three and a half World Cup spots
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 12:51:33 PM »
goal.com is not a valid football website. stop spamming Tallman

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 12:56:39 PM »
Jamaica and Costa Rica came in third in 1998 and 2002, respectively, while in 2006, Costa Rica and Trinidad and Tobago came in last in their groups (as did the U.S.).

I like how he try to slide that whole (as did the U.S.) part in.  But say what, is a Goal.com article, there aren't enough birdcages in the world to line, or puppies to house train.

On the other hand, is not Sepp who suggest that female players wear tighter shorts?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 12:57:11 PM »
all them european spots not valid either, but then again some big team always get left out from europe so cutting will just increase that...in my opinion one more south american might be justified.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 01:04:17 PM »
I doh know how to take this article.
My brain tells me dismiss it as usual because goal.com is known for posting outlandish shit.
But theb, this one hit close to home and I can't help but think that there is some, however little, validity to it.

Més que un club.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 01:15:06 PM »
didn't someone say to ban goal.com articles from here? LOL

so this guy wants to move the .5 spot on a "promise"

but then gives actual numbers:

2 teams from CONCACAF have made it to 2nd rounds
2 teams from CAF have made it.

That argument doesn't exactly work.
There may be better arguments but he's not making them.

Someone over at bigsoccer did a pretty thorough analysis of the numbers to try to weight the regions. I'll see if I can find it.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 01:16:51 PM »
i agree with the principle regardless of the article source. concacaf deserve no more than 3 spots even though we qualify on the 1/2 spot last time.

that 1/2 spot should go to africa or south america instead. they are by far superior football areas.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 01:25:26 PM »
CONCACAF deserves 2 and a half spots.

Give Africa the other spot.

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 02:01:26 PM »
Why not give Africa, CONMEBOL's half spot and make CONCACAF and Africa play-off to see who gets to go to the World Cup? That should end any talk of comparing the two regions.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 02:08:14 PM »

how all ya hating on Goal.com so much??
what really cause it???

s true Concacaf eh fully deserve it
S. America already have a half spot
Asia and europe could make a turn they have enuff

Africa may deserve a half spot....take it from Asia dammit!
what they hadda show?
is only that scandal of a WC that japan and s. korea actually do something....

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 02:28:44 PM »
Someone over at bigsoccer did a pretty thorough analysis of the numbers to try to weight the regions. I'll see if I can find it.

Don't waste your time. 95 % of the people who participate in this debate never want to hear logic as a criteria for deciding these things. And on this site, the figure is closer to 99

Apart from the very large typo (he says AFC when he is obviously talking about CAF as confirmed lower down in the article - it continues to fall into the fallacy. Keep giving talented but inconsistent africa more spots so it can continue to stink up the place. If Caf concentrated on protecting its big teams like Concacaf and Asia do instead of doing everything so the typical flash in the pan team can make it once and then disappear off the footballing map - there might be a case.

Anyone who advocates the contrary ought to at least have the decency to recognise just how political any such decision woud be. Because it definitely doesn't hold up to impartial quantitative scrutiny
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 03:08:47 PM »
Nicely put Midknight.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 04:55:59 PM »

how all ya hating on Goal.com so much??
what really cause it???

s true Concacaf eh fully deserve it
S. America already have a half spot
Asia and europe could make a turn they have enuff

Africa may deserve a half spot....take it from Asia dammit!
what they hadda show?
is only that scandal of a WC that japan and s. korea actually do something....

Its called the World Cup for a reason. If anything hadda change (and I dont think it needs to), let Europe give up a spot. I would much rather see fresh concacaf, african or asian teams in d world cup than d 14th or 15th best European team. Who would miss Switzerland or Bulgaria in a World Cup? Teams like TnT and Angola bring a new flavour to d tournament.....lets face it, only about 10 teams could ever win d world cup, d rest of us jus there to make up d numbers....might as well make it interesting.

Now I vex cuz I actually take on a goal.com article ;D

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 05:00:37 PM »
If any confederation should lose a spot it's Asia.  Someone did a breakdown of the head to head numbers between Concacaf and Asia regarding this same issue around the time of the 2006 world cup and in just about every category Concacaf game out ahead.  I don't know if anyone can find that article but it would help to crush the notion that Concacaf should lose any of its places.

Offline teddy bear

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 05:28:46 PM »
I'm not even takin orn dis article. Cause the facts in it en factual. Said no team from CAF made it to the second round in 2006. So when Ghana play Brazil wha round was dat?

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2008, 06:32:54 PM »
lol, hey gol.com, "paul yuh mudda come"  :devil:

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 03:47:24 AM »
I'm not even takin orn dis article. Cause the facts in it en factual. Said no team from CAF made it to the second round in 2006. So when Ghana play Brazil wha round was dat?

nice heads up. I didn't even notice that
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2008, 11:52:31 AM »
didn't someone say to ban goal.com articles from here? LOL

That was me, but given that in this case, the website is merely providing a space for the writer to air his opinion, I don't have any problem with it. When they have headlines like "Eto'o on his way to Uzbekistan!" that they claim to be fact, I find that unacceptable.  :beermug:

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2008, 07:53:07 PM »
CONCACAF deserves 2 and a half spots.

Give Africa the other spot.

i agree with the principle regardless of the article source. concacaf deserve no more than 3 spots even though we qualify on the 1/2 spot last time.

that 1/2 spot should go to africa or south america instead. they are by far superior football areas.
I don't think we're jingoist football lovers, so we shouldn't mind giving up that .5 slot to anyone for the good of ' The Beautiful Game '. We idolize footballers from all walks.Besides, the extra weight will make us work even harder and hungrier to capitalize on our rare scoreing opportunities.We need to.

Imho: Officials in the upper echelon of fifa, doing the PC thing / dreading the voting cartel therein, will avoid irritating its loose cannon Controller [ Godfather ].Noah Davis is just ah ghost writer surrogating their (non-cartel fifa Officials )ideas and  ( gal.com ) is just one of the channels they use.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 09:09:21 AM by mwanasoka »
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »
From the time I start to read this article, the first region I thought should lose a spot was Asia. Some results since the 32 team format began in 1998.
2006- Japan, Korea, Saudi, Iran
Iran, Japan, Saudi last in their groups, Korea 3rd in theirs
No Round 2

2002 - China, Japan, Korea, Saudi
Korea and Japan top their respective groups, China and Saudi, last in theirs.
Korea lost to Germany in semis, ended up 4th overall

1998 - Iran, Japan, Korea, Saudi
Japan, Korea, Saudi, last in their groups, Iran 3rd in theirs
No round 2

CONCACAF
2006 - CR, USA, Mexico, TnT
Group results
Mexico 2nd
USA 4nd
CR 4th
TnT 4th
Mexico eliminated by Argentina in round of 16

2002 - CR, USA, Mexico
Group results
Mexico 1st
USA 2nd
CR 3rd
Mexico eliminated by USA in round of 16
USA eliminated by Germany in quarters

1998 - Jamaica, Mexico, USA
Group results
Mexico 2nd
JA 3rd
USA 4th
Mexico lose to Germany in round of 16

Source: www.fifa.com
well yes

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 08:18:58 AM »
3.5 spots is too much,blatter is right the quality not there.2 spots  is good.why depend on that 1/2 spot.if trini could play some better ball (which is possible)and get they house (ttff) in order makin de top 2 eh difficult at all.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

1]; } ?>