March 28, 2024, 03:27:20 PM

Author Topic: T&T's best ever Central Defender.....who would that be?  (Read 12314 times)

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: T&T's best ever Central Defender.....who would that be?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 06:39:50 AM »
For St. Mary’s and club football, Russell Tesheira played in the middle.  To my recall, up until the point when I left Trinidad in 1974, Russell mainly played wingback for the national team.  I believe Selwyn Murren and Selris Figaro started in the middle on the 1973 team in Haiti.  At that time, Russell was in his early twenties, while
Selwyn and Selris were in their late twenties. 

I will agree with Deeks that our best tandem was Selwyn Murren and Selris Figaro.  However, my selections of the two best middle defenders are Selwyn Murren and the “Tank.”  People may question the Tank’s height in the middle, but Ah tell yuh, he was unbeatable in there.

Trevor

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 06:45:18 AM »
Bertram O'Brien???

no way ......bertram o Brian was a central midfielder and a stalwart for the defence force in midfield. ,,,never forget him throwing away a penalty against Arsenal in de stadium. very good club baller

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 07:05:43 AM »
Bertram O'Brien???

no way ......bertram o Brian was a central midfielder and a stalwart for the defence force in midfield. ,,,never forget him throwing away a penalty against Arsenal in de stadium. very good club baller

Nah Jai I not talking bout O'Brien.
Presentation had a big central defender and captain back in 75' 76 ah think.
The fella play about 10 games for TT and then just drop off the scene , I seem to remember he migrate to US and is ah doctor there.
That was when Belmont run through intercol with Plucky and Harewood and Pres win out the league
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 07:29:12 AM »
DOG
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 01:07:08 PM »
Clayton Morris without ah doubt.although not a central defender, Brain Williams is one of trinidad's best defenders to pass through!!
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2008, 01:35:51 PM »
For me personally I would have say clayton (JB) Morris and yes he started at left back but shifted to central defence however i do agree that Figaro, Russell Tesheira were both very good but I give Morris the edge he was very consistant and he did have as good of a supporting cast as Figaro that's not knock Brian Williams he was excellent but the others at most times were not very good but they were OK. Morris benefited from being at ASL and playing with likes of Stewart Charles who to me is the best defender I have seen played in Trinidad and Tobago we should have give Charles citizenship then would made to WC in 1990. Not since Morris have there been any defender that who reads the game as well. Carlyle Andrews was also a very good reader of the game and I think he decided to his studies instead if I am not mistaken there were some problems with him at LIU can`t remember the details. To those whose said tallest or Dog please don`t insult the footballing intelligence of the folks on this forum

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2008, 01:45:36 PM »
JB  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2008, 02:40:17 PM »
JB  :beermug: :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Dat wouldn't have anyting to do wit de fact dat he from St Ann's right?  ;)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2008, 02:43:03 PM »
We Trinbagonians does rate up man and call them "great" based on games against Caribbean opposition and when dem same fellas meet high quailty opposition dey cant see dem way !!!...Man caling names like Faustin, Power, Morris, Sancho or even Williams and the calling them great defenders ...Now dont get me wrong I admire and thank these fellas for what they did for my national team but truth be told we never had anything close to a great defender so allyuh could stop de nonsense

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2008, 03:04:14 PM »
We Trinbagonians does rate up man and call them "great" based on games against Caribbean opposition and when dem same fellas meet high quailty opposition dey cant see dem way !!!...Man caling names like Faustin, Power, Morris, Sancho or even Williams and the calling them great defenders ...Now dont get me wrong I admire and thank these fellas for what they did for my national team but truth be told we never had anything close to a great defender so allyuh could stop de nonsense

so you're basically saying you can't be great in your own country?

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2008, 03:45:44 PM »

well not all of us have been brain washed to believe that any and everything foregin is better than what we have or produce also as i recall the topic is called T and T best ever central defender
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 05:10:27 PM by Tallman »

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2008, 06:17:24 PM »
Coops....

How would you rate your fomer skipper Philbert Prince among the many names mentioned in this thread
Thanks

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2008, 06:32:41 PM »
Coops....

How would you rate your fomer skipper Philbert Prince among the many names mentioned in this thread
Thanks
        I would say most of those guys were better alround players than Prince,Prince had certain strenghts and used them effectively,physically strong/fit,very good in the air,not very skillful (the voom kick type of player),what helped him was the way we played,just win the ball and give it to us,our teamwork/chemistry was good.I would have liked to see him at the international level to really assess how good he was,he got called up but never responded.   
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 06:06:08 AM by Coop's »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2008, 07:12:00 PM »

Well I saw Williams handle himself vs. Arsenal, Man U, Flamenco and Tottenham Hotspur.

Flamenco were the World club Champs, with three Brazilian nationals including Zico. He starred in that game. By Caribbean standards he was definitely great. In today's world it would be criminal if he didn't get a contract abroad.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2008, 08:01:19 PM »
For me Raymond Moraldo
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2008, 10:01:18 PM »
Brian Williams.....

Central Defender bro.  Focus!  8)
so whey did de dread play......hyundai nah boy

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2008, 07:24:35 AM »
Dog, Dexter Francis, Clayton Morris, Talles...

I eh picking one..daiz my 4 favorites

dont fel that these gi=uys are in the same class as Tesheira.

no clue who tesheira is.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2008, 07:30:47 AM »

Tallest?  You cant be serious.

Name a central defender from Trinidad who score de goal that sealed our first win in the HEx on the way to WC 2006, scored the goal that ensured qualification to WC 2006, Wnet to a WC and held his own against the likes of Ibrahimovic, Larson, Owen, Roque Santa Cruz. Man also playing club ball at a more competitive level than any central in our defender in our history besides Dog (i think). Sorry breds, I can't really go beyong Strike Squad to name great T&T players..dat is just my age. BUt since then Talles do enough to earn the right to be called one of our greatest central defenders in my opinion. Look at level of the man actual achievements and few can compare from our nation.

Dais for Jai too :)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2008, 11:46:28 AM »

Name a central defender from Trinidad who score de goal that sealed our first win in the HEx on the way to WC 2006, scored the goal that ensured qualification to WC 2006, Wnet to a WC and held his own against the likes of Ibrahimovic, Larson, Owen, Roque Santa Cruz. Man also playing club ball at a more competitive level than any central in our defender in our history besides Dog (i think). Sorry breds, I can't really go beyong Strike Squad to name great T&T players..dat is just my age. BUt since then Talles do enough to earn the right to be called one of our greatest central defenders in my opinion. Look at level of the man actual achievements and few can compare from our nation.

Dais for Jai too :)

Lol... good post.  I been following along but I can't really toss out name like some of the older heads in here.  First name come to mind was Brian Williams, more than anybody he was my favorite Strike Squad player back in the day but I wasn't sure if I was a CB or not.  Ah see whey most saying he wasn't.  I also doh have a problem with Tallest, de man, regardless how shaky some think he is/was... more than held his own during WC play.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2008, 11:50:41 AM »
 :D yes T&T had many "great" central defenders...they proved themselves against Jamaica, Barbados,Haiti and the rest..

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2008, 02:31:46 PM »
Ah like this post... I have a lot of favorites but ah kinda bias towards towards JB ( ah form St Anns too!).. But the central defenders ah grow up wathcing and admiring was Dexter Francis (Strike Squad)  and Anthony Delpeche (Defense Force). Delpeche was especially cool and calm under pressure, very intelligent...and a good captain also.

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2008, 04:39:23 PM »

Tallest?  You cant be serious.
for real

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2008, 04:57:13 PM »
Ah did like de fella who did fall out de tree too.  Richard Something.  Little bit on de small side but my recollection was dat he was a good reader of de game.

Lawd,,,cyah remember he las name but unfortunately he died as a result of complications from the fall I think.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2008, 05:08:39 PM »
Ah did like de fella who did fall out de tree too.  Richard Something.  Little bit on de small side but my recollection was dat he was a good reader of de game.

Lawd,,,cyah remember he las name but unfortunately he died as a result of complications from the fall I think.

Richard Theodore.... R.I.P.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2008, 05:34:35 PM »
:D yes T&T had many "great" central defenders...they proved themselves against Jamaica, Barbados,Haiti and the rest..
Stop being an ass, the question isn't whether these players are great from an objective standard... read the thread question properly again and you'll see it's simply soliciting input on who people subjectively believe are among T&T's greatest.  No one said 'world class'... ridiculous to try and argue with a subjective standard.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2008, 05:41:35 PM »
I back on this thread again. Trevor mentioned Tyrone Delabastide. I only seen him play for Maple and POSFL.  Guys for a short man he was something else.  Also I must big up Bert Grell. He could play any position in the defence and mid field when he was asked too. He is up there in the top ten.

I like Brian Williams. I did not see him play that much because I lived in "foreign". But the little I saw of him, I was really impressed. As a right back he was skillful and cool. We could do with a man like that right now.

Coops mentioned Philbert. What I like about Philbert is that he played within his limitations. He was basically a solid defender. Good in the air and a rugged tackler. Most of all he was good leader.

I like a guy called Garnett Craig. I saw him played twice. He did not stay in TT.

I heard of Reynold George. I can't remember seeing him play. Some say he was good, some say he was a wild man.

I heard Carpette had played a damn good stopper also. I know himplaying  in mid-field. But I could see how he would be a good stopper. Similar to Beckenbauer.

Dexter Francis was another very good stopper. Real cool fellah. It is a pity age was not on his side. He would have done well in England. At least I think so.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2008, 05:41:46 PM »
Stop being an ass, the question isn't whether these players are great from an objective standard... read the thread question properly again and you'll see it's simply soliciting input on who people subjectively believe are among T&T's greatest.  No one said 'world class'... ridiculous to try and argue with a subjective standard.

well its obvious am not responding to the thread question lol...I am responding to posts made by other posters...keep yuh bacchanal to yuhself lol

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2008, 05:44:25 PM »

Dexter Francis was another very good stopper. Real cool fellah. It is a pity age was not on his side. He would have done well in England. At least I think so.

He and alot of other defenders that played in T&T back then..but we will never know..so we can all play the assuming game now..atleast i think so

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2008, 05:59:31 PM »

Richard Theodore.... R.I.P.

Daz de name.  Used to play fuh Army too.  Thanks Omar.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2008, 06:29:02 PM »
I like a guy called Garnett Craig. I saw him played twice. He did not stay in TT.

I heard of Reynold George. I can't remember seeing him play. Some say he was good, some say he was a wild man.

I heard Carpette had played a damn good stopper also. I know himplaying  in mid-field. But I could see how he would be a good stopper. Similar to Beckenbauer.

Garnet was a boss but never quite established himself at the national level.  Maybe because he decided to emigrate to the states.  He was the original Tallest but more skillful IMO.

Never see Carpette as a centre back

Pec was a solid player

Reynold George was not bad

1]; } ?>