March 28, 2024, 05:32:08 PM

Author Topic: T&T's best ever Central Defender.....who would that be?  (Read 12316 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: T&T's best ever Central Defender.....who would that be?
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2008, 08:19:06 PM »
I like a guy called Garnett Craig. I saw him played twice. He did not stay in TT.

I heard of Reynold George. I can't remember seeing him play. Some say he was good, some say he was a wild man.

I heard Carpette had played a damn good stopper also. I know himplaying  in mid-field. But I could see how he would be a good stopper. Similar to Beckenbauer.

Dexter Francis was another very good stopper. Real cool fellah. It is a pity age was not on his side. He would have done well in England. At least I think so.

Garnet was a boss but never quite established himself at the national level.  Maybe because he decided to emigrate to the states.  He was the original Tallest but more skillful IMO.

Never see Carpette as a centre back

Pec was a solid player

Reynold George was not bad

Bomber was aspiring.

Someone who deserves to be considered is Ainsley Weekes. I loved to see this short man go at it. He had no fear and would take you off ur feet. Just seem to disappear. I heard he injured his knee. May have played right back. B. Williams was a roving right back.

Ainsley was my favourite defender after Brian. And ah feel if I had seen more of AW, he would've been my favourite.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2008, 07:43:57 AM »
My day is JB. Best defender but not a central one was Brian Williams
Used to hear my father an older brother talk about Sellers who i am assuming maybe is Selris Figaro
Also heard them rate up a Reynold George

Was a youth from  Arima who i thought would become one of the best but went america and like ttff forget about him was Dwayne Demming Craig younger brother, he had serious potential.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2008, 12:03:05 PM »
Dog, Dexter Francis, Clayton Morris, Talles...

I eh picking one..daiz my 4 favorites

Tallest?  You cant be serious.

Name a central defender from Trinidad who score de goal that sealed our first win in the HEx on the way to WC 2006, scored the goal that ensured qualification to WC 2006, Wnet to a WC and held his own against the likes of Ibrahimovic, Larson, Owen, Roque Santa Cruz. Man also playing club ball at a more competitive level than any central in our defender in our history besides Dog (i think). Sorry breds, I can't really go beyong Strike Squad to name great T&T players..dat is just my age. BUt since then Talles do enough to earn the right to be called one of our greatest central defenders in my opinion. Look at level of the man actual achievements and few can compare from our nation.

Dais for Jai too :)

...Name a central defender from Trinidad who score de goal that sealed our first win in the HEx on the way to WC 2006, scored the goal that ensured qualification to WC 2006,
.... ah lorse here man ...  best ever central defender ? dais de fella who coach loan him out because he kyah make a lowly rated  second division team in England ? ..going a division lower to get some games ? ....

and held his own against the likes of Ibrahimovic, Larson, Owen, Roque Santa Cruz. ?

Goand watch dem games again ...you sounding like T&T was the same standard of dem other teams ! If wasn't for Shaka it could have easily been half a dozen in the first two games. lampard alone throw away close to dat on he own ...way tallest do ? is de goalkeepers who kept the score decent.....
Filho ah trying to forget you is de fella who tried to justify  West Ham benching Mascherano for a fella called " Mullins " .
Nah man ...Tallest ? You forgetting a whole stadium boo dat man already. Tallest came into prominence playing midfield and was so woefully bad they try him elsewhere. I see ah vincey shake up tallest in de stadium ...de man was falling all over de place !! Read de thread again ...if it say the best you like then I could give you dat but it eh say dat.
You may not have seen teesh...but you doh have to believe me ask any fan over 50 ........ Tallest cannot, could not fill dah fella shoes.
If you want to bring world cup argument ..consider this ...Concacaf did not have all dem places to qualify long time. In fact in my days was one T&T team. Then one youth team later. Plenty good fellas who never make ah T&T team would waltz in what we have these days. The standard has fallen while the opportunites have risen. That explains how some men could make a national team today who would not even get call up long time.
Let Coops tell yuh bout Tesheira,,I eh even call Reynold george who plenty men playing national football today still kyah pass....

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2008, 12:20:23 PM »
Since ah man mention Garnet Craig, I go throw another name in.

Although I will admit that I don't know what, if anything, he did at the National level, this man was a boss in college:

Veron Skinner.

Toujour Pret!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2008, 12:26:55 PM »
If you want to bring world cup argument ..consider this ...Concacaf did not have all dem places to qualify long time. In fact in my days was one T&T team. Then one youth team later. Plenty good fellas who never make ah T&T team would waltz in what we have these days. The standard has fallen while the opportunites have risen. That explains how some men could make a national team today who would not even get call up long time.
Let Coops tell yuh bout Tesheira,,I eh even call Reynold george who plenty men playing national football today still kyah pass....

In your days, T&T couldn't even make de Hex (except fuh 73) so de # of World Cup spots available in dem times is a moot point.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2008, 12:28:20 PM »

Although I will admit that I don't know what, if anything, he did at the National level, this man was a boss in college:

Veron Skinner.

Big Big player.  Too bad he was often injured and was also a victim of de politics between Gally & Alvin.  He had all de tools.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2008, 12:44:44 PM »

...Name a central defender from Trinidad who score de goal that sealed our first win in the HEx on the way to WC 2006, scored the goal that ensured qualification to WC 2006,
.... ah lorse here man ...  best ever central defender ? dais de fella who coach loan him out because he kyah make a lowly rated  second division team in England ? ..going a division lower to get some games ? ....

and held his own against the likes of Ibrahimovic, Larson, Owen, Roque Santa Cruz. ?

Goand watch dem games again ...you sounding like T&T was the same standard of dem other teams ! If wasn't for Shaka it could have easily been half a dozen in the first two games. lampard alone throw away close to dat on he own ...way tallest do ? is de goalkeepers who kept the score decent.....
Filho ah trying to forget you is de fella who tried to justify  West Ham benching Mascherano for a fella called " Mullins " .
Nah man ...Tallest ? You forgetting a whole stadium boo dat man already. Tallest came into prominence playing midfield and was so woefully bad they try him elsewhere. I see ah vincey shake up tallest in de stadium ...de man was falling all over de place !! Read de thread again ...if it say the best you like then I could give you dat but it eh say dat.
You may not have seen teesh...but you doh have to believe me ask any fan over 50 ........ Tallest cannot, could not fill dah fella shoes.

hahah... I expect no less from you Jai. Hot and sweaty but fail to read. Where did I say Talles and the names I listed are the best ever. Go back and take a slow read.

In any case, I and all tired talk bout T&T coulda collect a few goals well in some of them games but Talles did well imo. I found Sancho more culpable on an individual level and as a unit, the defense had its holes, but Talles reputation was enhanced from his efforts imo. I watch him live..he was especially impressive vs. England.

like it or not..Big Den play at a higher level than most other T&T defenders allyuh calling dey.

Jai..give it a rest with the Mullins / Mascherano talk. You and I both know football and Mascherano just didn't fit at West Ham. Be happy the man is excelling at a team more befitting of his ability. If you are a coach that only plays players cuz of their name..daiz you. But Mascherano was pure shite at West Ham, while Mullins was enjoying a rich vein of form..including a couple of game winning goals. Glad dey bench him. It made him unhappy and he left. Best for everyone. You real sickening wid dat ole talk :devil:

And yeah..like I said, read carefully. I say them 4 are my favorites. I was never qualified to say who is the best ever, so I chose my words carefully. I eh no old man so prior to Strike Squad..I doh have any idea who the best central defenders were. you carrying on like I say he better than Tesheira and co. I have no clue who those fellas are. They played in a different era and it doh sound like dey test themsleves at any really remarkable level to even warrant a cross generational comparison. Anyway the foru I pick are among the greatest in my relatively short football life (again..i am making my opinion conditional)

As for talent better, opportunities fewer, in the past..give me a break. Opportunities might have been fewer but Concacaf standards was relatively shite and T&T national teams in dem days didn't even come close except when they cheat we boys in 73. Concacaf far more competitive now and yuh basically playing for 1.5 places with the US and Mexico setting such a high standard compared to the rest.

peace.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 12:56:38 PM by Filho »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2008, 01:20:48 PM »
yeah we could go all night on this ...but the thread says " Re; T&T's best ever Cental defender ...who would that be ? So what were you respeonding to when you named tallest ? Did you not write listing his qualifications to be included in your top 4 ? ..well I questioning that !
You dont have to pick Teshiera ...if you eh see de man but I listed some things I have seen of tallest ...you eh touch dem points ah tall !

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2008, 01:32:57 PM »
yeah we could go all night on this ...but the thread says " Re; T&T's best ever Cental defender ...who would that be ? So what were you respeonding to when you named tallest ? Did you not write listing his qualifications to be included in your top 4 ? ..well I questioning that !
You dont have to pick Teshiera ...if you eh see de man but I listed some things I have seen of tallest ...you eh touch dem points ah tall !

I touched on all your points except a throw away anecdotal mention of Talles having a bad game against Vincey. I touched on his WC performnae, his club stuation.. ??? Jai..you actually read people comments before you write. And doh come wid no nonsense telling me to stick to the title. It is impossible to stick  to cuz we can only discuss the players we've seen in our lifetime. So I qualified my statements to make sure. In any case, you and I all know it is more a guideline than anything. Is a talks open to subjectivity and some complementary side chat. You should be worrying bout man who talking bout left back and right back  :devil:  At least I stick to central defense (kix).

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2008, 01:33:07 PM »

Veron Skinner.

Could've been legends, if given more opportunitties. Graeme Rodriguez said to me that Garnet was the best CFL player he ever saw after Clauzelle.

GC scored a helluva goal from around the half line vs. Paulista Corinthians. Socrates the Brz Capt. was the PC Capt.

Neither man was on the S. Squad. Only friggin Gally could answer that.

VB

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2008, 01:59:10 PM »

VB

Correck is right!  Whey fishs?  ;D

Actually, Skinner did get called up to a Strike Suqad practice late in de dance but he was done injured by den.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2008, 02:21:18 PM »

VB

Actually, Skinner did get called up to a Strike Suqad practice late in de dance but he was done injured by den.

I think Craig had overs football at that time.  Skinner was good very good but wasn't he foreign based at the time?   Only way gally coulda work  that was to  sit Marvin or Brian and move Francis to wingback. 

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2008, 03:37:14 PM »

VB

I think Craig had overs football at that time.  Skinner was good very good but wasn't he foreign based at the time?   Only way gally coulda work  that was to  sit Marvin or Brian and move Francis to wingback. 

Disagree.  Skinner had all the tools to play defensive mid.  Instead, that role went to Floyd Lawrence.

The ideal Strike Squad team, FOR ME, without de Gally politics, would have been

Michael Maurice/ Earl Carter
Brian Williams
Clayton Morris
Dexter Francis
Marvin Faustin
Verron Skinner
David Nakhid
Kerry Jamerson
Russell Latapy
Hutson Charles
Dwight Yorke

Skinner & Nakhid did get wood from Gally partly because dem was perceived to be "Corneal boys".  Nakhid also questioned Gally tactics and Gally team was operated as a dictatorship not a democracy so out Nakhid went.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 04:10:18 PM by palos »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2008, 04:25:16 PM »

VB

Craig should have been close to or in his footballing prime at that time. And according to an old post from Coops, he was playing in 1989 and rejected by Gally.
-------

The old man memory isn't all that good,may be some of what you all are saying could be right or wrong because that was so long ago,if i check some of my old files at home i might be able to come up with some facts,but this is what i can vagely remember because i was the person that coached the first T&T team that played in the first ever Shell Cup in 1989,i don't know anything about the CFU i think that came afterwards.

The team i had although we lost to Grenada did qualify for the finals Jack disdanded the team and the Strike Squad played the finals and won it,leading up to the finals we did play French Guyana twice,our game in T&T was played in the Arima Velodrome we gave them about 6 i think,that's when Elliot allen was called back to the Strike squad,i had the guys that were rejected/released from the Strike Squad like Timothy Haynes,Anthony Sherwood,Garnet Craig,Clint Marcelle,Garfield DeSilva,Nevick Denoon  just to mane a few,my assistant Coach was Jan Steadman.     

--------------------

VB

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2008, 05:27:47 PM »

VB

Disagree.  Skinner had all the tools to play defensive mid.  Instead, that role went to Floyd Lawrence.

Brian Williams
Clayton Morris
Dexter Francis
Marvin Faustin
Verron Skinner
David Nakhid
Kerry Jamerson
Russell Latapy
Hutson Charles
Dwight Yorke

Skinner & Nakhid did get wood from Gally partly because dem was perceived to be "Corneal boys".  Nakhid also questioned Gally tactics and Gally team was operated as a dictatorship not a democracy so out Nakhid went.

5 defenders? or Fuastin draft into the midfield?

also..only 1 forward in Yorke..a youthman at the time, who didn't exactly have the best scoring record for T&T?

Curious how yuh lining that side up.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2008, 05:43:51 PM »

VB

Brian Williams
Clayton Morris
Dexter Francis
Marvin Faustin
Verron Skinner
David Nakhid
Kerry Jamerson
Russell Latapy
Hutson Charles
Dwight Yorke

Midfield stack  but where Leo going? I agree with the gally/corneal politricks, i think pollonais,  Ronnie Simmons should be on the squad but  dem boy was foreign and men say gally wasn't down with that.
But wait all yuh men blast MEP, but he might be right Brian Williams might have really play in the center for Alvin Corneal. 

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2008, 05:44:28 PM »

VB

Brian Williams
Clayton Morris
Dexter Francis
Marvin Faustin
Verron Skinner
David Nakhid
Kerry Jamerson
Russell Latapy
Hutson Charles
Dwight Yorke

also..only 1 forward in Yorke..a youthman at the time, who didn't exactly have the best scoring record for T&T?

Skinner had all the tools to play defensive mid.

Focus grasshopper

As for Yorke being the only forward.....my bad.  I forgot Leonson Lewis.

Kerry Jamerson woulda get drop.

Goalie

4 defenders

4 midfielders with Skinner as the defensive mid, Nakhid in front of him, Leonson wide left, Hutson Charles wide right

Latas in de hole

Yorke up front.

Yorke scored at least as many goals in that Hex as did Philbert Jones, Marlon Charles or Maurice Alibey

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2008, 05:50:19 PM »

VB

Brian Williams
Clayton Morris
Dexter Francis
Marvin Faustin
Verron Skinner
David Nakhid
Kerry Jamerson
Russell Latapy
Hutson Charles
Dwight Yorke

Focus grasshopper

Goalie

4 defenders

4 midfielders with Skinner as the defensive mid, Nakhid in front of him, Leonson wide left, Hutson Charles wide right

Latas in de hole

Yorke up front.

Yorke scored at least as many goals in that Hex as did Philbert Jones, Marlon Charles or Maurice Alibey

Yuh dropping Kerry? That's a bold move considering Kerry scored the winner in two of the most crucial matches leading up to Nov 19.....I suppose in your opinion Skinner was better than him- can't say...don't really know the Skinner guy but Kerry ended up being one of the more memorable players coming out of that campaign- to think of it without him is kinda tough.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2008, 05:58:18 PM »
Yuh dropping Kerry? That's a bold move considering Kerry scored the winner in two of the most crucial matches leading up to Nov 19.....I suppose in your opinion Skinner was better than him- can't say...don't really know the Skinner guy but Kerry ended up being one of the more memorable players coming out of that campaign- to think of it without him is kinda tough.

Yuh right.  It jes tells you how much I thought of Skinner as a player.  The guy was immense.  Not jes size.  As a footballer.

But dat wasn't happenin under Gally anyway.  Yuh have to give Gally credit.  He had a belief, stuck to it, and was almost successful doing it his way.  But for me, he also create unnecessary stupidness.  Skinner, Nakhid was but 2 examples. 

Allyuh remember de "Latapy & Yorke cyah play on de same field controversy?"

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2008, 06:14:29 PM »
BM here..Palos..be serious...Yorke did not score a goal for strike Squad in WCQ
and i dont have to check no archive ( ah doh even know how)...
scorers were..charles..Jones, Lewis , jamerson

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2008, 07:54:54 PM »

Name a central defender from Trinidad who score de goal that sealed our first win in the HEx on the way to WC 2006, scored the goal that ensured qualification to WC 2006, Wnet to a WC and held his own against the likes of Ibrahimovic, Larson, Owen, Roque Santa Cruz. Man also playing club ball at a more competitive level than any central in our defender in our history besides Dog (i think). Sorry breds, I can't really go beyong Strike Squad to name great T&T players..dat is just my age. BUt since then Talles do enough to earn the right to be called one of our greatest central defenders in my opinion. Look at level of the man actual achievements and few can compare from our nation.

Lol... good post.  I been following along but I can't really toss out name like some of the older heads in here.  First name come to mind was Brian Williams, more than anybody he was my favorite Strike Squad player back in the day but I wasn't sure if I was a CB or not.  Ah see whey most saying he wasn't.  I also doh have a problem with Tallest, de man, regardless how shaky some think he is/was... more than held his own during WC play.

All this talk about the wild ras . Fellas he was a right wing back.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 02, 2008, 08:10:56 PM »
First off Verron Skinner was center midfield not central defence, half of allyuh calling names and allyuh ent know who allyuh talking bout, Brian Williams played right wing back and to me was a wild man.
Skinner never made himself available for the strike squad  for what ever reasons I'm not clear on it.
Garnet Craig and the rest of the Fatima crew of 76' was picked as a national team by Alvin Corneal along with players like Big Bird , Ken Mc Crae , Plucky , Harewood, Verron Skinner, Garfield De Silva etc  was almost a Colleges league team Corneal pick , they went to Puerto Rico and win out the CFU tournament.
After Alvin start to play the a** with the team men migrate to the US and everybody know what that ment in those days if yuh had half a brain.
When Gally got the team  he tried to involve as much men as he could by virtually having 2 squads, one team was playing the shell caribbean cup qualifiers and the other was training and playing games for the wcqs.
Men like Elliot Allen move from the shell team to the wc team.
The shell team was hitting small islands all kinda 10 and 13 goals.
Men get call for this team and maybe they refuse because they considered a "B" team whatever.
The only man who could say with some kinda argument that he was hard done by with Gally is Nahkid but every story have 3 sides.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2008, 06:27:01 AM »

Lol... good post.  I been following along but I can't really toss out name like some of the older heads in here.  First name come to mind was Brian Williams, more than anybody he was my favorite Strike Squad player back in the day but I wasn't sure if I was a CB or not.  Ah see whey most saying he wasn't.  I also doh have a problem with Tallest, de man, regardless how shaky some think he is/was... more than held his own during WC play.

All this talk about the wild ras . Fellas he was a right wing back.

...and a converted right bach at that. He was originally a midfielder for de oilmen but gosh he was slow !! Yuh right ..plenty men talking bout tings they hear or think !

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2008, 06:54:46 AM »

VB

Brian Williams
Clayton Morris
Dexter Francis
Marvin Faustin
Verron Skinner
David Nakhid
Kerry Jamerson
Russell Latapy
Hutson Charles
Dwight Yorke

Focus grasshopper

Goalie

4 defenders

Latas in de hole

Yorke up front.

breds..Yorke scored 0 goals in that Hex

And yuh already had Kerry in your squad, so yuh done had a defensive midfielder. to put two was madness and you midfield would have no shape (aka no width..especially on the left), which is why my question of whether you keeping Skinner in defense and draftin Faustin on the left of mid makes far more sense. I think you need to focus Grasshopper  :devil:

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2008, 11:07:08 AM »
Best ever is really a journey through time and of course we see things with different eyes as time goes by. In college days the best defender I had seen was a guy called Leyton kirk. That memory stayed with me until later when I was exposed to football at a higher level than the colleges league. So what I am saying is that ask this question sometime in the future I may change my mind again.
Some also seem to feel that best defender is one who could also score goals...so with no established criteria then best ever is at best ..  subject to ME isn't it .

1]; } ?>