March 28, 2024, 02:27:32 PM

Author Topic: Redefining the word professionalism  (Read 3067 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Redefining the word professionalism
« on: October 01, 2008, 09:07:15 AM »
By Alvin Corneal (Trinidad Guardian)

In this great country, we are inclined to aim for the skies, something which everyone should be pleased to do. Whether it is the workplace, the playing field, the home, or almost anywhere, there are those who swear by the word professionalism, especially now that money is floating around the country like rain flies after a heavy shower of rain.

When perfect acts of professionalism are identified in any sphere of life, I am always ready to commend those who were involved and hope that there will be more people who would operate professionally.

Having said that, I tend to pay special attention to the area of my life which I cherish very much and keep looking for progress in every discipline of sport.

What I have found out is that my definition of professionalism differs with what is sometimes portrayed, especially in the situations where money has become the be all and end all for the people involved.

Today, I wish to target the country’s Professional Football League (Pro League), if only because I am so anxious to see this league grow from strength to strength in the future.

I am also aware that it takes a few years to make an impact on a society whose history in sport is based upon the amateur participant (or maybe that was the word used to describe a player many years ago).

I was impressed when the ruling body for football decided many years ago, to change the name of its organisation from the TAFA (Trinidad Amateur Football Association) to the TTFF (T&T Football Federation).

No doubt this move was designed for players to have a professional approach to the sport.

Personally, it was my own impression that footballers in the fifties to eighties, were actually professionals in their dedication, commitment and extreme desire to give of their very best each time they entered the field.

But because they all had to do other jobs in order to earn a salary and playing football was voluntary, we were referred to as amateurs.

Today 30 years and millions of dollars later, it is a professional world of football, (or that is what it is called).

Clubs pay high franchise fees, employ coaches, players and administrative staff, travel to mates in their mini buses, and play on the most modern facilities in the land.

To me that is the recipe of moving ahead and a strong base for top class performances on the field.

But, I am horribly mistaken! I did not take many things into consideration. I misread the mentality of our youth who believe that a professional player is one who gets paid to play. He believes that whoever gets more money, calls the tune for his team, and if by chance, he is a member of the national team, he become a prima donna.

It makes me think that we have rushed into this stage of our football without educating our young players that it’s a job which must be done efficiently and with a level of dedication and commitment which will make them the best they can be. I am so very wrong. Maybe the image of the past 30 years and the dedicated gentlemen who played the great game in those days, left me with an false illusion which was literally the opposite of what occurs today.

Then I ask the question to myself: whose fault is this? Is it only the young players who do not understand the definition of the word professionalism, or is it modern society who believe that they must redefine the meaning of the word?

When we witness matches in the Pro League, we get varied pictures of performance levels. Some good! others, not so good. But in recent times, there seemed to have been more consistency of good football among our clubs in the Pro League.

Looking deeper at the development of the game, I am faced with a number of non-professional behaviour coming from players and administrators alike, bringing a serious challenge on the future of the game.

For instance, the most recent spate of absenteeism by referees for Pro League matches, could not be justifiable to clubs, players, spectators and all the relevant stakeholders like radio, television, journalists and sponsors.

Many matches are postponed because of an absence of referees and sometimes, club linesmen are asked to officiate. What an insult to the professional game!

How could a professional league operate on the premise that referees may or may not show up for matches, especially as I am informed (unofficially) that it’s a question of payment.

This is difficult to believe simply because any professional organisation would have had a budget which will include payments for referees, match commissioners, ticket collectors etc.

And even if one is to bypass this huge faut pas, why can’t the match commissioners be instructed to make contact with referees 24 hours before to obtain confirmation that they will attend.

Why can’t the referees who are appointed to officiate at a match not be made to notify the league twenty four hours before the start of the game that they will not attend.

Exactly where is the professional behaviour of these individuals who are either running a business or working for it?

Then there is the question of the registration system, which is not as clear as it should be. There are players who still ply their trade in minor leagues, while they are contracted to professional clubs. Some players have been known to play in the Pro League and also the Zonal associations.

Players under 18 years old are confused as to whether or not they can play for their schools, and/or their professional clubs.

The most recent problem exists with the young players who represent the national U-20 team in the super league and are now debarred from playing for their schools. Why is this situation so difficult to resolve?

These problems tend to affect players and sometimes we are unable to see the connection between their performances and the indecisiveness that surrounds them.

Then we have the full fledge “pros” who lack the understanding as to what are their roles in the clubs. Some are known to play two good games (in their opinion) and suddenly ask for more money. There are cases where young players are persuaded by their agents to jump on a plane and travel abroad for try outs with another professional club, without notifying their local clubs (to whom they are contracted).

Others miss matches for their clubs because they wanted to spend a day or two with loved ones abroad.

In the final analysis, some of us take a look at these players at the national level and are quick to blame coaches for their poor performances.

I humbly ask the administrators of the ProLeague to get their act together so that they can make stronger demands on the clubs and players under their control.

There will be so much more support from the business sector, the government, and the fans, if there is efficiency in one’s management.

Football in any country can only improve when all the components are being managed properly, whether it be referees, match commissioners, players, coaches, or administrators themselves. Nothing shorter than the best will take us forward.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: Redefining the word professionalism
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:23:07 AM »
one point he miss was the lack of ball boys which kills momentum

another is the fact that there is no food or drinks avaliable at match venues

ah friggin man had a bar and had to burrow meh car key opener once

in bago they does turn off de lights as soon as the whistle blow, man and he child cyar see to leave de stadium

the list goes on
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:25:19 AM »
I just find it funny dat hetalkn bout professionalism. He around since d dinosaurs what has he done 2 aid professionalism. Not 2 mention we generally unprofessional y should d PFL b any different.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 09:47:51 AM »
Good article.  Too bad it's near impossible to separate the message from the messenger which unfortunately makes it difficult to fully appreciate what's being written.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 10:07:49 AM »
Nutten new what he sayin we all know d ills in d PFL suggestions 2 improve d PLF would have been a betta slant. Instead d vast majority go say Chipmunk again
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 10:23:03 AM »
By Alvin Corneal (Trinidad Guardian)
OK, I have read enough
some will say that I am "throwing the baby out with the bath water"
but, oh gaum, is Alvin
he is a good one to talk about professionalism ::)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 10:25:28 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 10:34:52 AM »
Good article.  Too bad it's near impossible to separate the message from the messenger which unfortunately makes it difficult to fully appreciate what's being written.

Nah i doh think it difficult to separate the message. Honestly...good article...and.....the Pro League eh really in any way affected by him...and the points he raising valid. This lack of professionalism pervades every sphere of Trinidad and Tobago....resulting in us underachieving on every front.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 10:41:07 AM »
our unprofessional behavior as a society is well documented but what suggestions are on the table to fix de problem? we can add this article as another one of those well documented cases!! who is going to step up to get them fixed is the bigger question?? :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 11:13:45 AM »
The man finally on point, first relevant and timely article from Mr. Corneal for a long time.

Like them or not the future of T&T football rests largely on the shoulders of the
PL. The quality of the product has undoubtedly improved and the league is probably in contention with Haiti and JA as the best in the Caribbean, if not the best. But they have a looonnngg way to go yet.

What made this article different is Corneal (1) did not setup fans as the usual boogymen for all that is wrong with the league (2) did not place sole responsibility for the state of the league on the players (3) placed blame squarely where it should rest, organizational failure.

Then again is not his own company he criticizing so he free to pass blame however he wants.

Somebody pass Peter O'Connor a copy of this article.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 11:18:23 AM »
as soon as i see the writer, i twist up meh face and leggo de usual steups..

but ever the masochist, i break my promise to self not to never to read the man articles and proceed to see what is the latest piece of biased bs he write.

must say, was shocked... it not that bad at all.

somebody pass him a memo or something?

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 11:24:53 AM »
i figure it out

he stayed logged on to his computer and sombody post under his name

tallman warn allyuh bout that :(
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2008, 11:44:07 AM »
De man make plenty sense in this article..its true he said what most of us already know but not many is showcasing the media the unprofessionalism in the PFL...so i give him credit based on this..and I agree with everything Morvant previously said in his first response
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 11:48:21 AM by Sando prince »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 11:50:21 AM »
Talking about professionalism with all that typo.

Where are the ideas to help rectify such problem. One basic solution he mention was match commissioners contacting referees before game and vice versa. Where as he failed to acknowledge that the referees staying away was a protest for money and as such the unprofessionalism will come from budgeting.

The main theme of the piece was the player getting swell headed off nothing. Give us a little insight into how you (Alvin) dealt with this in the "good old day". Then again back then everyone was prifessional in the true sense of the word. Alvin should be able to present in this piece 2-3 steps the PFL could take to wean the players into a moreprofessional mode.

I agree on the professional isuue or lack there of, but not a fan of pointing out problems without solutions.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 11:58:05 AM »
Wheyyyyy man real rating up Alvin den, l

It's well-deserved too.  I mihself just start to scan to see in which vein he was headed... and more I read the more I liked what he had to say.  I question his conclusory statements about professionals of the last 20 yrs, he seems to hold the older players in greater esteem for their professionalism... but everyone does that, things was always better in their time.  Outside of that, I saw this
Looking deeper at the development of the game, I am faced with a number of non-professional behaviour coming from players and administrators alike, bringing a serious challenge on the future of the game.

... and for a second I thought he was about to call out Jack, lol. That would never happen of course... not until dey fire Anton and den watch mas.

But anyways, from facilities to operations football in Trinidad continues to be hamstrung by mediocrity and by an air of amateurism that only an infusion of revenue and fresh minds/ideas will change.  Progress is being made, but at a snail's pace and the Pro League, TTFF and Min. of Sport would do well to collaborate on an effort to effect more.

We can only dream.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 06:11:32 PM »
Good article by Alvin!!!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 06:37:37 PM »
If Wim did write this man would ah bawl out!  :-[
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 06:50:12 PM »
But anyways, from facilities to operations football in Trinidad continues to be hamstrung by mediocrity and by an air of amateurism that only an infusion of revenue and fresh minds/ideas will change.  Progress is being made, but at a snail's pace and the Pro League, TTFF and Min. of Sport would do well to collaborate on an effort to effect more.

We can only dream.
I wonder how much of this was brought on by the way Jack destroyed the parallel league a few years ago?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2008, 12:17:06 AM »
Talking about professionalism with all that typo.

Nah man. You grow up in colonial times?

Wuss yet, how dare you criticise the great Alvin Corneal for spelling and grammar? Without him, there might not be any football in this country for us mere mortals to be posting about ::)

Anyway, first legitimate article i see from the guy in a very long time. As a few said, it could have been a bit more constructive and smacks a bit of nostalgia, but it seems pretty spot on.

The Pro League need to make some calls...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2008, 06:53:48 AM »

Alvin Corneal whispering in Maturana's ear !! ...... "dont worry man, we will beat Guatemala and yuh wok will be save, I talk to Jack allready. I have a picture of Jack horning he wife with some school girl from Curepe, so he have to listen to me, why you think my son Anton holds a big position in the TTFF. Once we make it to the next rounds, Latapy will be relegated to the youth team as assistant to Michael McComie, Anton will remain assistant and you my friend will finally sign a long tern contract with T&T. Just pick players from Fatima, Alcons and my coaching school and your work is safe.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2008, 07:44:41 AM »
I just find it funny dat hetalkn bout professionalism. He around since d dinosaurs what has he done 2 aid professionalism. Not 2 mention we generally unprofessional y should d PFL b any different.
He reach as far as the PFL what about de small ass flag for intl games and de fact dat dey could never find de dam CD for de anthem.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2008, 08:06:31 AM »

De two ah dem practising for dey opera debut or wha.....anyway,,watch dey face good..dem two eh lookin like family??
Is only yuh family yuh could convince to wear regular suit at a black tie affair......altho pacho suit have ah kina pimp vibes on he own doh
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2008, 09:14:39 AM »

De two ah dem practising for dey opera debut or wha.....anyway,,watch dey face good..dem two eh lookin like family??
Is only yuh family yuh could convince to wear regular suit at a black tie affair......altho pacho suit have ah kina pimp vibes on he own doh

Dutty, I was jus watchin that picture and thinking the same thing  :rotfl: Like Corneal father had some wild times in Colombia back in de day!!  :devil:
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2008, 01:00:14 PM »
What about the chick to the right of them.....WILF  ::)
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2008, 09:18:58 AM »

Alvin Corneal whispering in Maturana's ear !! ...... "dont worry man, we will beat Guatemala and yuh wok will be save, I talk to Jack allready. I have a picture of Jack horning he wife with some school girl from Curepe, so he have to listen to me, why you think my son Anton holds a big position in the TTFF. Once we make it to the next rounds, Latapy will be relegated to the youth team as assistant to Michael McComie, Anton will remain assistant and you my friend will finally sign a long tern contract with T&T. Just pick players from Fatima, Alcons and my coaching school and your work is safe.

BUffy woulda have a field day at this get-together.  :devil:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2008, 09:54:38 AM »
What about the chick to the right of them.....WILF  ::)
wha de arse de man wid she lookin at ???
he like playing wid footBalls or wha ???
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 10:03:33 AM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2008, 10:27:50 AM »

Alvin: "I telling yuh! A lil baby oil, beeswax and a dash of warm water immediately followed by cold water and yuh go get nice swanky curls like mine"

Pacho:"Me fraid advice por tu familia...tu hijo done have me looking bad with dem players he telling me to pick."
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>