April 26, 2024, 10:08:01 AM

Author Topic: Who is de most WORLD FAMOUS Trinbagonian?  (Read 11691 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Who is de most WORLD FAMOUS Trinbagonian?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2008, 07:07:23 AM »
Actually, I change my answer. It is a tie between Dwight Yorke and Jack Warner. Jack presence in football matters, especially controversial matters is everywhere. He is all over the press. If they didn't know before, the whole planet knows about him after his comments about England and their bit to host the WC and now his row with Keane. Ato's coverage of the Olympics would have reentered him into the global conscience for a close third, and Shaka might be 4th with his new gig on ESPN atho Lara might pips him for that 4th place.

In literary and academic circles I would guess Vs. Naipaul followed by Stokely Carmichael

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2008, 07:12:45 AM »
Though not related to sport, the most world famous Trini is Sir Trevor Mc Donald. The only problem is he is not KNOWN as a Trini, but as a Brit. But when it comes to world news, interviews with the world's most powerful and so on, his face and reputation is well known.

Sport related however, it has to be Dwight Yorke.

From my travels anyway. The only place I've ever been where people did not know of Trinidad and Tobago was Egypt. But they all knew Jamaica and Bob Marley. Go figure.

I'm glad you mentioned this...there are some trinbagonians who think our country is not known around the world, and i still dont understand why...everywhere I've travel people knew about T&T..When I said to them " I'm from Trinidad and Tobago" the first response I get is a reference to our Carnival, or our Soca Warriors playing at the past WC..in cricketing countries Brian Lara is the first name that come out their mouth when I told them where I'm from...

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2008, 08:11:22 AM »
I would say Brian Lara because everybody in India know who he is and it have over 1 billion people dey!!

Yorke would be a close second, but Lara reach where no Trinidadian might ever reach again.  He was at the top of the world in his sport for over ten years.  He broke a world record on more than one occasion and he went to heights that no one in the history of the sport ever reached....ie (401 and 501). 

Yorke will be forgotten in a few years but the people who remember Brian Lara will remember him for a lifetime and even more lifetimes to come.

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2008, 08:14:05 AM »
Though not related to sport, the most world famous Trini is Sir Trevor Mc Donald. The only problem is he is not KNOWN as a Trini, but as a Brit. But when it comes to world news, interviews with the world's most powerful and so on, his face and reputation is well known.

Sport related however, it has to be Dwight Yorke.

From my travels anyway. The only place I've ever been where people did not know of Trinidad and Tobago was Egypt. But they all knew Jamaica and Bob Marley. Go figure.

I'm glad you mentioned this...there are some trinbagonians who think our country is not known around the world, and i still dont understand why...everywhere I've travel people knew about T&T..When I said to them " I'm from Trinidad and Tobago" the first response I get is a reference to our Carnival, or our Soca Warriors playing at the past WC..in cricketing countries Brian Lara is the first name that come out their mouth when I told them where I'm from...

Same here meh boy. I once went to an international speed dating event, and there was this Swedish guy who was very quiet and made me wonder how good his english was. UNTIL Imentioned where I was from, de man start to wax lyrical bout we petroleum industry, and quote stats and thing. It goes without saying that he is a petroleum engineer....lol

But generally, people know the name of th ecountry. Where it is, what the culture is and so forth, that is debatable. But I agree with most on here, on face or name recognition it's either Dwight Yorke or Brian Lara as the most recognisable Trinis on the planet. Stokely Carmichael is viewed by many, even in biographies on the internet as American. V.S. Naipaul only known to academic types. Sir Trevor Mc Donald only known to those who take an interest in news and world events.
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2008, 09:50:47 AM »
Same here meh boy. I once went to an international speed dating event, and there was this Swedish guy who was very quiet and made me wonder how good his english was. UNTIL Imentioned where I was from, de man start to wax lyrical bout we petroleum industry, and quote stats and thing. It goes without saying that he is a petroleum engineer....lol

But generally, people know the name of th ecountry. Where it is, what the culture is and so forth, that is debatable. But I agree with most on here, on face or name recognition it's either Dwight Yorke or Brian Lara as the most recognisable Trinis on the planet. Stokely Carmichael is viewed by many, even in biographies on the internet as American. V.S. Naipaul only known to academic types. Sir Trevor Mc Donald only known to those who take an interest in news and world events.

Everything else was conducted at high speed as well??  ???  :devil:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2008, 09:56:21 AM »
me!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2008, 10:59:00 AM »
Ah tinkin it have to be somebody in sports.  Outside a sports, it could be Sparrow (even doh he Grenadian), De Doc himself...de Right Honourable Dr Eric Eustace Williams, or VS Naipaul.

But ah feel when it come right dong to it, if yuh axe somebody in rural Kazakhstan who is any a dem people, dem probably eh go know who dem is.

A case could definitely be made fuh Brian Charles Lara but I doubt anybody in Guangdong province in China go know he.

A dark horse (no pun intended) fuh de title could well be we own clown, Jack Warner (doh feel is joke ah mekkin needah)

But ah jes feel is a straight fight between Dwight Yorke & Ato Boldon.

Football is de world's most popular sport by far.  EVERWHERE ON DE PLANET does play football and Yorkie play fuh one a de most famous teams in de game (notice ah say famous, not BESS eh) so he have a serious advantage dey.

But someting Ato say in a thread de oddah day make meh pause.  De man say "Essentially it is ALL the $ and resources necessary (FINALLY) being put into the sport that has had the most success for TNT globally."

I eh go lie, ah steupes when ah read it at first but den ah stop and ah tink bout it.  1 GOLD, several Silvers, and some serious Bronze against de best de world has to offer.  We never do dat nowhere else.  And de ENTIRE WORLD does watch Olympics.

So ah tinkin, as much as Yorkie well known, Ato Boldon have a SLIGHT edge over him as the most WORLD FAMOUS Trinbagonian.

Naipaul is probably more famous than both of them... only a real football head (outside of TnT) might associate Yorke with TnT whereas many would know of Naipaul's origins, even if he himself might want to forget it.

Ato isn't nearly as famous as either... his comment about Track being the most successful sport for TnT is on point.  That however doesn't mean that much of that success is attributable to him alone.  My guess is that the casual non-caribbean observer would know his name but not be able to tell you where he's from without more.

Cricket is too much of a niche sport to count for anything.

Eric Williams?

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 12:54:05 PM »
Crazytrini85

Marvin Lakhan

This sick 4ker get ketch on a NBC sting operation trying to bull a lil girl and wanted to use a pet cat in some of the acts.

When I tell yuh I feel SO SHAME this 4ker come from T&T.

But is Dwight First, Jack Warner second.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 01:00:16 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2008, 01:13:29 PM »
well if is bull d man did come to bull, yuh eh expect him to pet d cyat?  :rotfl:

Sorry, couldn't help it. Doh want to trivialize dem sick 4kers and dey sick behavior, preying on lil children.

Just like de other day, with the thread here bout d one in Louisianna who de people let in dey house because he was coachin dey son... only to find him tryin to bull dey son soon as night fall. Another sick 4kin Trini.

Anyway, ah like Andre argument for Lara, but ah going with Dwight on this.
Toujour Pret!

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2008, 01:15:27 PM »
Actually, I change my answer. It is a tie between Dwight Yorke and Jack Warner.

A lot more people know Dwight Yorke than Jack Warner.  we just get a skewed sample of the international news coverage of Jack Warner.  people might vaguely remember stories involving jack regarding one piece of bacchanal or the other but outside of T&T, and to a lesser extent concacaf, name recognition for those kindsa things fade quickly. 

go back and look at international stories about the Keane vs Jack spat. in many cases the headline have to include the phrase 'FIFA VP' to explain who Jack warner is.  whereas Roy Keane is simply referred to as 'Keane'.

I'd bet that more people recognize the name 'Billy Ocean' than 'Jack warner'.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2008, 01:16:14 PM »
Crazytrini85

Marvin Lakhan

This sick 4ker get ketch on a NBC sting operation trying to bull a lil girl and wanted to use a pet cat in some of the acts.

I eh go lie.....dah man kinda look like u boy Touches.  Ah did get ketch when ah did fuss see de video eh.

Ah say..."buh wha de ass meh boy Touches get ketch een at all?!!"  ;D

And both a allyuh was livin Florida dah time too!
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »
Crazytrini85

Marvin Lakhan

I eh go lie.....dah man kinda look like u boy Touches.  Ah did get ketch when ah did fuss see de video eh.

Ah say..."buh wha de ass meh boy Touches get ketch een at all?!!"  ;D

And both a allyuh was livin Florida dah time too!

i now coming to type the same thing, de man really have ah kinda touches finish, watch he pan good..   :devil:

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2008, 02:28:06 PM »
Dooflay win that.
I see that you are the only forumite that calls him that ;)
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=28116.msg317507#msg317507
where that nickname come from?

We uses to call him that down by Jah, Jean-lillywhite coaching school in Maraval back in thee days. The name really meant that he played with flair or style something like that.
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2008, 05:03:57 PM »
Dooflay win that.
I see that you are the only forumite that calls him that ;)
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=28116.msg317507#msg317507
where that nickname come from?

We uses to call him that down by Jah, Jean-lillywhite coaching school in Maraval back in thee days. The name really meant that he played with flair or style something like that.
Cool man
Thanks for the reply
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2008, 07:46:33 PM »
Brian Charles Lara :beermug:

since all ah we just guessing I go say what I think too.....
THE world record holder for the highest score in test cricket, first class cricket and the Prince of Port of Spain ..me and 1 billion indian cricket fanatics  say so ! Ah just have to confirm whether china does follow cricket and I cool wid de selection. add to that sports trivia fans and you will get
Brian Charles Lara ....I think every country does read de guiness book of records right ? well in one issue they had him as from England ...yes dat same publication that does claim that they doh make mistake .... I hope dey correct dat by now !

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2008, 07:52:31 PM »
Actually, I change my answer. It is a tie between Dwight Yorke and Jack Warner.

A lot more people know Dwight Yorke than Jack Warner.  we just get a skewed sample of the international news coverage of Jack Warner.  people might vaguely remember stories involving jack regarding one piece of bacchanal or the other but outside of T&T, and to a lesser extent concacaf, name recognition for those kindsa things fade quickly. 

go back and look at international stories about the Keane vs Jack spat. in many cases the headline have to include the phrase 'FIFA VP' to explain who Jack warner is.  whereas Roy Keane is simply referred to as 'Keane'.

I'd bet that more people recognize the name 'Billy Ocean' than 'Jack warner'.

...but yyyouuuu mmaaddd  orrr what ...I more famoussss dan ..alldem fellas
I have an apartment in trump towers...is only in my own c**try datpeople does treat me bad...I hold de second highest office in FIFA an orgaisation dat controlls a lot of fundssss !!!!!  :rotfl:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2008, 07:54:54 PM »
Stokely Carmichael is viewed by many, even in biographies on the internet as American. V.S. Naipaul only known to academic types. Sir Trevor Mc Donald only known to those who take an interest in news and world events.

SC was born in T&T and lived there until 11. So I think he qualifies. No biography of him forgets to mention his Trini roots (even a quick search in wikipedia would highlight this). In any case, I think the question is who is the most famous Trini..not who is most famous for being Trini.

In any case, I qualified his level of fame. Outside of academia and civil rights activists, he's probably not that well known, but I wanted to through his name out just for the hell of it. My real answer was in the first paragraph

Offline vapotrini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2008, 08:26:14 PM »
Wow, apparently most of you are living in a bubble. You guys actually believe Yorke and Sparrow can contend with Lara on a "global" scale?  :rotfl:

I'm not one of his biggest fans but truth be known, anywhere else other than the Caribbean he is treated like a MAJOR celebrity, a GOD, LITERALLY. The other two pale in comparison. It's far from close.

PS: Honorable mention has to go to CrazyTrini. God damn I laughed so hard when I saw that. Poor fella can NEVER come home!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2008, 08:47:59 PM »
Wow, apparently most of you are living in a bubble. You guys actually believe Yorke and Sparrow can contend with Lara on a "global" scale?  :rotfl:

Maybe not Sparrow, but definitely Yorke. Let's put it this way, the ICC has 104 member nations, whilst FIFA has 208.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2008, 09:10:08 PM »
Tallman i disagree with your analysis..the poularity of a sport does matter but its not all that should be put into consideration...Swimming is not as popular as football either but Michael Phelps is more of a household name than most footballers today..same can be said for man like Lance Armstrong, Dale Earnhart, and Michael Jordan
What you are saying is true to an extent, because of marketing, but I'm not seeing Lara's popularity outstripping Yorke's but in a few countries/geographic regions.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2008, 09:11:12 PM »
Tallman i disagree with your analysis..the poularity of a sport does matter but its not all that should be put into consideration...Swimming is not as popular as football either, but Michael Phelps is more of a household name than most footballers today..(so all the member nations FIFA have cant win this argument or form my opinion as for who is the most popular).... same can be said for man like Lance Armstrong, Dale Earnhart, and Michael Jordan (just to name a few) who played sports less popular than football but are alot more popular than most football superstars of today and past
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:13:39 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2008, 09:12:27 PM »
Tallman i disagree with your analysis..the poularity of a sport does matter but its not all that should be put into consideration...Swimming is not as popular as football either but Michael Phelps is more of a household name than most footballers today..same can be said for man like Lance Armstrong, Dale Earnhart, and Michael Jordan
What you are saying is true to an extent, because of marketing, but I'm not seeing Lara's popularity outstripping Yorke's but in a few countries/geographic regions.

Okay then we will have to agree to disagree  :beermug:.....and keep in mind if we talking bout popularity of a player then marketing will have some emphasis one way or the other..
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:16:16 PM by Sando prince »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2008, 09:16:17 PM »
Many people will offer different criteria... I think the simplest isn't so much the number of people who can identify the individual, but rather whether the individual is most widely known.  Part of that calculus includes the number of people, but the greater part is a global profile.  Hence a person like Lara might have his name hanging on the lips 6 million Indians (or however large the population is), but might remain relatively anonymous outside of cricketing and caribbean circles.

I also think if we are to talk of "famous Trinbagonians"... part of the criteria should be people recognizing them to be Trinbagonians as well.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:18:19 PM by Bake n Shark »

1]; } ?>