April 27, 2024, 11:11:50 AM

Author Topic: BMW Lovers  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
BMW Lovers
« on: October 05, 2008, 10:52:48 PM »
Here's a chance to test drive a Bimmer for free. 

Join the Ultimate Drive

Basically you sign up at a pre-determined time and go on a ten-mile test drive and for every mile test-driven BMW donates a dollar to the Susan G. Komen foundation for Breast Cancer research.

Typically there are only a handful of cars that you get to drive, not because they limit what you drive...all the mainstream models are available, but because they try to make as many cars available to as many folks as possible...so after two drives they might have you wait until something becomes available and no one else wants to drive that particular car. The first time I did it back in '98 I drove the Z-3, M-Coupe, 3-Series Convertible and the 7-Series.

Another component I did that day is the Autocross....teams of people competing to see who can make it around a course lined with cones the fastest w/o knocking down cones (2 or 10 second penalties). Lotta fun for a good cause...as a brilliant marketing campaign for BMW...once you get behind the wheel of one you....are....hooked.  Doesn't look as though they'll be having the Autocross this year again though.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: BMW Lovers
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 11:25:23 PM »
I did the autocross a few years back when the E90 3 Series first launched. It was by appointment only and my "team" included a pro-driver and  and two other guys. We started with a brief board session about getting the right lines, proper corner entry and exit etc. We were not competing against other teams, it was more about testing the car at the limits. We did three laps each with the BMW and a lap each in a G35 and A4 for comparison. One of the fellas on my team was an African who only boasting about his M3 and his driving skills. First lap saddess punch the gas turning into a corner and spin out the car, the pro had to grab the steering wheel and pull hand brakes. The man real laugh at him.

Before we left, we did a fast lap with the pro driver and that man had skills. Plenty men out there think they could drive just because they have a heavy right foot, but an autocross track could be a humbling experience.

I recommend this experience to anyone who gets the chance. Cheap fun, no downside other than an urge to go and buy a BMW, but yuh get over that after a few days.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 07:59:07 AM »
Cheap fun, no downside other than an urge to go and buy a BMW, but yuh get over that after a few days.

You makin joke...once yuh drive ah M3, yuh have that urge for life
Not even ah bush bath does help
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 08:22:43 AM »
I real like the new X6.
Wish i could get meh hands on one ah dem.

Més que un club.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 10:01:28 AM »
If they did tweees meh arm I would drive this

Dutty dis is all I could afford ;D
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 10:14:01 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 11:36:07 PM »
I did the autocross a few years back when the E90 3 Series first launched. It was by appointment only and my "team" included a pro-driver and  and two other guys. We started with a brief board session about getting the right lines, proper corner entry and exit etc. We were not competing against other teams, it was more about testing the car at the limits. We did three laps each with the BMW and a lap each in a G35 and A4 for comparison. One of the fellas on my team was an African who only boasting about his M3 and his driving skills. First lap saddess punch the gas turning into a corner and spin out the car, the pro had to grab the steering wheel and pull hand brakes. The man real laugh at him.

Before we left, we did a fast lap with the pro driver and that man had skills. Plenty men out there think they could drive just because they have a heavy right foot, but an autocross track could be a humbling experience.

I recommend this experience to anyone who gets the chance. Cheap fun, no downside other than an urge to go and buy a BMW, but yuh get over that after a few days.

My experience in the Autocross was similar... the Pro sat in the passenger seat and adjusted it as we relayed in and out.  Tallest man went first, shortest last... and he'd move the seat up accordingly.  Couple people crashed on our runs, but for the most part it was mishap free.

-------------

I had a similar experience in 2003 when Mercedes re-launched the E-Class... there was a nice obstacle course set up, including an oil slick, a water pool, a gravel patch and rumble strips.

Good experience.

Dis is my next ride doh...

« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 11:37:56 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 10:54:24 AM »
i test drive one of meh friend 08 328. as soon as i press de gas i fell in love with de car. de car can fly, handling is sharp and de brakes holding rel good.

Cheap fun, no downside other than an urge to go and buy a BMW, but yuh get over that after a few days.

You makin joke...once yuh drive ah M3, yuh have that urge for life
Not even ah bush bath does help

i cyah wait to drive that ting.

A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

1]; } ?>