April 25, 2024, 06:14:55 PM

Author Topic: John: Soca Warriors have a lot to play for  (Read 1493 times)

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
John: Soca Warriors have a lot to play for
« on: October 06, 2008, 07:37:18 PM »
Trinidad Guardian

REFUSING to give up hope of qualifying for a second straight Fifa World Cup finals, T&T and Southampton striker Stern John says the ‘Soca Warriors’ still have a lot to play for.

John was speaking after his first training session with the national team at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, yesterday, ahead of tomorrow’s international friendly at the same venue against the Dominican Republic.

Tomorrow’s friendly is part of the T&T team’s preparations for their next World Cup matches away to Guatemala on Saturday and at home to the USA, four days later.

The other overseas-based players called up by ‘Soca Warriors’ coach, Colombian Francisco Maturana, and present at yesterday’s one-and-a-half hour session, included goalkeeper Clayton Ince (Walsall), Avery John (Miami FC), Khaleem Hyland (SV Zulte Waregem), and Sunderland’s Kenwyne Jones.

Jones was given permission to train with the T&T team by his manager Roy Keane, as he continues his rehabilation from a knee injury. He is back home to attend a funeral of a relative.

The Sunderland forward, who was accompanied by a club physio, will not take part in tomorrow’s friendly nor the two World Cup matches.

While the team trained together under the watchful eyes of Maturana, John who is recovering from a slight ankle injury, did some light training with the help of assistant coach, Ceasar Maturana for most of the afternoon, ending with a shooting drill.

Should John play in the match against Guatemala it will be his first for T&T in the second round campaign since scoring the second goal in the first round 2-0 away win over Bermuda which secured a 3-2 aggregate win and T&T’s Second Round berth.

T&T is currently on four points with Guatemala and five behind Group A leaders USA from three matches.

Cuba is without a point.

Guatemala is above T&T by virtue of a better goal-difference. Only two of the four teams will advance.

Looking ahead to the World Cup qualifiers, John said he was very confident that the ‘Soca Warriors’ can qualify for South Africa 2010.

“The last time we qualified for Germany, we had fewer points than we have now and at time looking at the remaining schedule we still have a lot to play for,” the veteran forward said.

“We know our capabilities and we know what is needed and going to Guatemala we have to take it one match at a time.”

The country’s record goalscorer with 69 goals also pointed out: “I love scoring goals. That is what I do for a living. But right now the team comes first and I will do whatever the coach requires, even if that means playing 10 minutes.

Commenting on his recall to the team after being overlooked for the first three matches versus Cuba, Guatemala and USA, John said, “My injury was not that bad, it was a slight grade one tear and hopefully I will be ready for Saturday.

John also explained that he is not expected to see any action in tomorrow’s friendly international versus Dominican Republic at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

“I’m working my way back into full fitness and I don’t think I will be ready for the game on Wednesday, which is not all that important as Saturday’s encounter away to Guatemala.

The other players who participated in the training session were Marvin Phillip (W Connection), Cyd Gray (Clico San Juan Jabloteh), Makan Hislop (Utd Petrotrin), Aklie Edwards (Defence Force), Clyde Leon (W Connection), Keon Daniel (Utd Petrotrin), Anthony Wolfe (North East Stars), Andre Toussaint (W Connection) and Cornell Glen (Clico San Juan Jabloteh) while Keyeno Thomas (Joe Public) will join the team on Thursday.

Thomas is with the Joe Public team which will host Montreal Impact in the second match of tomorrow’s double-header at Mucurapo, in a Concacaf Champions League match.

T&T captain, Dwight Yorke who arrived on Saturday did not participate in the session while Russell Latapy (Falkirk), Carlos Edwards (Wolverhampton) and Christopher Birchall arrived late yesterday and will train today at the same venue from 4.30pm.

Darryl Roberts of Turkish-club Denizlispor Kulubu was due home last night while Jason Scotland (Swansea), Dennis Lawrence (Crewe Alexandra) and Puerto Rico Islanders defender, Osei Telesford are expected today.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: John: Soca Warriors have a lot to play for
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 07:41:17 PM »
Understatement of d yr
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 07:52:56 PM »
T&T captain, Dwight Yorke who arrived on Saturday did not participate in the session

Somethings never change...he musta been busy participating in another 'session'

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 08:00:26 PM »
T&T captain, Dwight Yorke who arrived on Saturday did not participate in the session

for real
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 08:32:20 PM »

Trust me i understand wha yuh sayin..but why we so quick to assume..what if we read a report tommorow givin a different reason than what we think !...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 09:28:04 PM »
Akile Edwards......fadder. Anyone can make this team, what a joke.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline judge101

• Full Warrior
  • If it is to be, then it is up to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 09:59:30 PM »

Trust me i understand wha yuh sayin..but why we so quick to assume..what if we read a report tommorow givin a different reason than what we think !...

yeah like what.................d man had 2 :chilling: it was a long flight yuh know
wise men talke because they have something to say,fools talk because they have to say something

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 10:37:41 PM »

you forgot to put these after that statement ;) ;) ;).. there, thats better.
Warren N. Boucaud

1]; } ?>