April 26, 2024, 01:02:04 PM

Author Topic: After U.S. outgrows CONCACAF, then what?  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
After U.S. outgrows CONCACAF, then what?
« on: October 10, 2008, 06:34:51 AM »
now this is pure arrogance.

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=go-usaconcacaf101008&prov=goal&type=lgns

After U.S. outgrows CONCACAF, then what?

By Noah Davis, Goal.com
3 hours, 34 minutes ago
Buzz Up
Print

Torres opted for the U.S.
AP - Oct 7, 6:01 pm EDT

World Soccer Gallery

Related Coverage
Goal.com World Cup 2010 qualifying coverage
More from Goal.com

It’s coming. Certainly not today, probably not in this qualification cycle, but make no mistake, it’s coming. At some point in the near future – sooner than those who will inevitably rip this column will ever admit – the United States will be the dominant force in CONCACAF soccer, alone at the top.

Soon, the Americans won’t share equal billing with our neighbors to the South. The U.S. will be the alpha dog with El Tri in a second tier by itself and then the rest of the region fighting for third place. It’s not a matter of if, only when....

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: After U.S. outgrows CONCACAF, then what?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 07:24:22 AM »
typical american behaviour,they shit theyself dong in 2006 and they talkin bout outgrowin concacaf.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 07:34:19 AM »
typical american behaviour,they shit theyself dong in 2006 and they talkin bout outgrowin concacaf.

Seriously though, outgrowing CONCACAF does not mean that you have assumed World Class status.  The rest of Concacaf is not of a high standard.  Although playing at their lowest form in the last 10-15 years, the US are still finding ways to beat the rest of Concacaf including El Tri. The truth most times offends.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 08:40:28 AM »
then nothing. you dominate and continue to find ways to improve/maintain that dominance while the others play catch up. Just like when Mexico 'outgrew' (whatever the hell that means) Concacaf. Or Brazil and Argentina 'outgrew' Conmebol.

By the way, the idea that Mexico would no longer be a threat to the US is laughable given the limits of human achievement. Mexico is a threat to any team in the world. Even if the US develops into the greatest team in the planet, beating Mexico will never be guaranteed so long as El tri maintain their current level or improve

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 08:50:20 AM »
then nothing. you dominate and continue to find ways to improve/maintain that dominance while the others play catch up. Just like when Mexico 'outgrew' (whatever the hell that means) Concacaf. Or Brazil and Argentina 'outgrew' Conmebol.

By the way, the idea that Mexico would no longer be a threat to the US is laughable given the limits of human achievement. Mexico is a threat to any team in the world. Even if the US develops into the greatest team in the planet, beating Mexico will never be guaranteed so long as El tri maintain their current level or improve
...add to that the fact that the US will always be competing against itself via Baseball and  Basketball they do seem pretty precocious.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 09:03:52 AM »
Some people need to put their emotions aside...the journalist didn't say next year or next 5-years...but it is inevitable (if I had to predict, I woul say in 10-years....

Look at the following:

1. Very good financial backing.
2. Infrastructure is pretty developed and is continuing to get better exponentially.
3. Sports management is of a high pedigree
4. Quality of Sports medicine personel and research is one of the best in the world.
5. Academies are pretty good and continue to be developed including being associated with leagues in Europe and S. America
6. Political Clout (arguable)
7. Current and great potential for readily available sponsorship deals (compared to other countries).
8. The US currently and in the near past attract major top -10 National teams (Argentina, England, Spain) as well as clubs (FC Barcelona, Chelea) around the world.
9. A fairly rapidly developing MLS league.
10. Large population with continous migration from footballing nations.
11. Potential to attract some of the biggest names in football, some which have already joined and some more contemplating.
12. Coaching academies is of good quality.
13. A developing football fanbase and fellowship

Please tell me who in Concacaf has even 1/2 of the above going for them ??
Warrior For Life !!

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 09:12:03 AM »
The USA is going to be a world power eventually...soccer is the biggest growing sport at the moment and they pump a lot of resources into their youth programmes.

Once they are able to get past the whole college draft thing and conform to the rest of the world regarding the teenage years, they are going to develop better players.

What will happen when they outgrow Concacaf though? They and Mexico will join Conmebol (and possibly the rest of Central America) and we will get a half spot for the caribbean with a play-off against Asia or Oceania if they feel like guaranteeing one minnow a spot per world cup.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 09:34:14 AM »
Some people need to put their emotions aside...the journalist didn't say next year or next 5-years...but it is inevitable (if I had to predict, I woul say in 10-years....

Look at the following:

1. Very good financial backing.
2. Infrastructure is pretty developed and is continuing to get better exponentially.
3. Sports management is of a high pedigree
4. Quality of Sports medicine personel and research is one of the best in the world.
5. Academies are pretty good and continue to be developed including being associated with leagues in Europe and S. America
6. Political Clout (arguable)
7. Current and great potential for readily available sponsorship deals (compared to other countries).
8. The US currently and in the near past attract major top -10 National teams (Argentina, England, Spain) as well as clubs (FC Barcelona, Chelea) around the world.
9. A fairly rapidly developing MLS league.
10. Large population with continous migration from footballing nations.
11. Potential to attract some of the biggest names in football, some which have already joined and some more contemplating.
12. Coaching academies is of good quality.
13. A developing football fanbase and fellowship

Please tell me who in Concacaf has even 1/2 of the above going for them ??

not sure if anyone disagrees that US can be/is/will be the #1 team in the region. and maybe one day in the world. question is..look at who are the class teams on the planet right now? Can anyone guarantee a victory against Mexico. Nope. There are limits to human achievement and others will always play follow the leader and  play catch up. I simply find the notion that they think they will easily blow aside Mexico going and coming unrealistic. And the author sounds like that is his trigger to start looking at waht next. Fact is, US looking at what next looooong time now.

The US has already outgrown Concacaf. As far as I concerned, when you pretty much guaranteed to qualify for the WC and you winning every other Gold Cup, is time to start reviewing how you get to the next level. Mexico did it a long time ago. What did they do? They improved the standard of their domestic league, accepted invitations to the Copa America, and on the club level accepted invites to Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana, started exporting more players to Europe, play friendlies against the best etc....Mexico even now even picks naturalized citizens..something that was sacrilege in the past. The same things the US has to do to. Brazil and Argentina probably outgrew Conmebol a while ago. Does that mean they soared into the stratosphere and now noone in their region can touch them? You have to find ways to maintain dominance and keep sharp. However, the lower teams..if they have any organization will start to follow suit. In Concacaf, the only team showing the infrastructure and organization to make it a top 3 in Concacaf and not top 2 even if they not quite there yet, is Costa Rica. Evenyually, others will follow. The US should never expect to just walk all over Concacaf..Just as Brazil or Argentina can't walk into Ecuador, Paraguay, Uruguay or Colombia and watch them slight...even if they probably did at some point in their trajectory.

I find the US predicament is legit, and to be honest, they reach there long time. They already implementing the steps they need to get to the next level...no need to wait until you are the superteam of the region. But not only is the predicament legit..it is not original. Mexico was there decades ago. But just as Mexico does still come to T&T and get whet, US will be going to the Azteca and to Costa Rica and get ah automatic whet for a long time. I just find to frame the issue in terms of the US becoming a superteam in Concacaf is a joke.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 09:42:11 AM »
The USA is going to be a world power eventually...soccer is the biggest growing sport at the moment and they pump a lot of resources into their youth programmes.

Once they are able to get past the whole college draft thing and conform to the rest of the world regarding the teenage years, they are going to develop better players.

What will happen when they outgrow Concacaf though? They and Mexico will join Conmebol (and possibly the rest of Central America) and we will get a half spot for the caribbean with a play-off against Asia or Oceania if they feel like guaranteeing one minnow a spot per world cup.
         Do we want to qualify for the WC based on sympathy or on our ability as a Fooball nation,we have to rise so when we get out there we are not embarassed,countries done saying the number of concacaf teams in the WC should be cut because of their quality.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 09:50:43 AM »
de article is ah damn joke yes..what next he asks? how bout making an impact at de friggin WC and not going home early? Bradley probably wondering who is dis a@#hole?!?!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 09:56:50 AM »
I went to lafayette Indiana  for My nephew Birthday party (he turn 12) . I was shocked at what I see over there. There were a ground there that had about 15 games going on. all for kids.. under 5 under 7 under 10 under 14 .. one set a under somehting going on . and each team had full staff from coach to nurse to some rell nice looking soccer moms..anyway. The outfield was looking wey  better than the HCS. allyuh doh think america go tek over football one day? Remember is one set a foreigners living here in the U>s>A.
I sey in 10 years USA go be serious powers to mess wid.
Go USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
War
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 10:27:14 AM »
I went to lafayette Indiana  for My nephew Birthday party (he turn 12) . I was shocked at what I see over there. There were a ground there that had about 15 games going on. all for kids.. under 5 under 7 under 10 under 14 .. one set a under somehting going on . and each team had full staff from coach to nurse to some rell nice looking soccer moms..anyway. The outfield was looking wey  better than the HCS. allyuh doh think america go tek over football one day? Remember is one set a foreigners living here in the U>s>A.
Go USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
War

Indiana is no joke... dem people take dey football seriously.  That is why the US will continue to be a threat for years to come... make no mistake soccer's second-class status here is changing, a lot of yutes growing up loving the sport much as we did as children, so for them their support is genuine.  It will continue to trail the other major sports like Football, basketball and baseball... but soccer is primed to step into the void about to be created by the slipping of the NHL.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 10:30:58 AM »
Ah hear you.. In Rhode Island is the same things girls and boys from 5 up..They play regular games each week, and during winter they play indoor...

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »
That article will only hold true if the USA start hitting Mexico 3 and 4 nil consistently.  What the writer fail to admit is that every team is getting better.  So to imply that the USA is on a runaway track is crap.  The bottom line is this if you not fit and you play the USA to much respect you will lose.

What the writer need to realize is that winning Concacaf doesn't mean that you win the World Cup and we all now that's what they really hoping for?  :)  Maybe he should do an analysis on when he thing that will happen.   ;)  And then what?
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 11:21:16 AM »
Following some of these arguments to their logical conclusion ...the country with the biggest potential to dominate world football is China ! All dey have to do is convince 25% of their population to get serious bout football pump in some resources and no one can stop them !
Allyuh doh get tie up by resources ...if dat was all Saudi Arabia woudda win world cup already ! Football is ah culture ah way of life ...elections are of little consequence when football is on in South America..the stock exchange in Brazil closed down for de world cup final ( you know how many millions were lost ?) ....the passion is not shared with other sports as obtains in the US..and that is why it is not esay to promote the USA in any fixed period of time to be among the big guns who eat sleep and breathe football. In spain the young ladies have to make do on their own on weekends !!!
If yuh eh like football you kyah get no man interested .... the men go to games on weekends , meet on Mondays and tuesdays to talk about the games, wednesdays, thursdays and fridays to talk about upcoming games and back to weekends..... its not football for recreation its football as a way of life and I kyah see the usa getting dere anytime soon ...

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 11:49:45 AM »
They're too shitty to play in UEFA of CONMEBOL so they better enjoy their free pass to the World Cup where they can't get past the group stage

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 12:12:55 PM »
They're too shitty to play in UEFA of CONMEBOL so they better enjoy their free pass to the World Cup where they can't get past the group stage

except they get past the group stage every other WC since 1990 (so far..)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 12:21:24 PM »
Dem fellas gettin ahead of themselves..dem aint going noway.....dey should be happy dey in Concacaf.....

All countries regardless of past abysmal infrastructures will continue to produce special players and also football associations and the new implementation of International Standards will see countries throughout Concacaf improving.  That righter(writer) in lala land...
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 12:29:21 PM »

they would have trouble in asia if they were in that group. they hadda get in front of iran, japan, south korea, australia...steups i'd throw bahrain and iraq in there too.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 12:34:46 PM »
Following some of these arguments to their logical conclusion ...the country with the biggest potential to dominate world football is China ! All dey have to do is convince 25% of their population to get serious bout football pump in some resources and no one can stop them !

Wha bout India?  8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 12:35:01 PM »
Go USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
War

Indiana is no joke... dem people take dey football seriously.  That is why the US will continue to be a threat for years to come... make no mistake soccer's second-class status here is changing, a lot of yutes growing up loving the sport much as we did as children, so for them their support is genuine.  It will continue to trail the other major sports like Football, basketball and baseball... but soccer is primed to step into the void about to be created by the slipping of the NHL.

People is get tie up too- The U.S. is large enough to succeed at soccer even if the sport's popularity lags that of football & basketball etc... In the United Sates, despite the existence of more popular sports the soccer player pool will still be sufficient, the resources & infrastructure will always be ample and the approach will always be professional...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 12:37:39 PM »
Allyuh doh get tie up by resources ...if dat was all Saudi Arabia woudda win world cup already ! Football is ah culture ah way of life ...elections are of little consequence when football is on in South America..the stock exchange in Brazil closed down for de world cup final ( you know how many millions were lost ?) ....the passion is not shared with other sports as obtains in the US..and that is why it is not esay to promote the USA in any fixed period of time to be among the big guns who eat sleep and breathe football. In spain the young ladies have to make do on their own on weekends !!!
If yuh eh like football you kyah get no man interested .... the men go to games on weekends , meet on Mondays and tuesdays to talk about the games, wednesdays, thursdays and fridays to talk about upcoming games and back to weekends..... its not football for recreation its football as a way of life and I kyah see the usa getting dere anytime soon ...

jai john, USA seem to be following after Germany - not to say that Germany does not have a strong football culture, but from what i've seen, they have a more balanced approach to sports, especially compared to the more obsessed countries like those in south america. i meet plenty germans that doh follow football atall. yet look at the track record - as a nation they have been very successful. so a rabid "footballing culture" is not necessarily a prerequisite.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 12:39:14 PM »
Go USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
War

About 10 years ago use to be 1 sweat at Patterson Park, B'more.... and one ah de best sweat around,  last week I gone back and it have 5 different sweat and is not only de Hispanic people playing playing ball.... I believe soccer is on de rise here.... and they will be dominant. I have to admit.... the US brand slow for me, but they get the job done.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 01:14:11 PM »

Wha bout India?  8)

dem too ! i remember when India used to come to the caribbean wid ah setta thin foot skinny players to play against de west indies. all ah dem did fraid pace. In ah game dey retired with bout half de team in de stands who was frighten to come out. den came kapil dev ..man have big chest and bowling fast..now dey have Acktar...he bigger dan anything we have today ...the point is dat wid their numbers they too can prodce top football teams ...just de boots ting I concerned about  :beermug:

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 02:18:57 PM »

dem too ! i remember when India used to come to the caribbean wid ah setta thin foot skinny players to play against de west indies. all ah dem did fraid pace. In ah game dey retired with bout half de team in de stands who was frighten to come out. den came kapil dev ..man have big chest and bowling fast..now dey have Acktar...he bigger dan anything we have today ...the point is dat wid their numbers they too can prodce top football teams ...just de boots ting I concerned about  :beermug:

Akhtar is a Pakistani...i hope we better than americans in that we not going to classify everybody from that side as coming from India. Kinda like saying that Jamaica could be a big side because Dwight Yorke from there...now would we like that?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 02:19:33 PM »
If the US feel they have outgrown Concacaf, they can simply leave and go to Conmebol!!!

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 02:42:19 PM »
If the US feel they have outgrown Concacaf, they can simply leave and go to Conmebol!!!

Nah Nah Nah! They coming back to ground  zero on Wednesday. Like someone else said, when yuh country had money, yuh could produce a deceit team and geh way green card and thing, who won't want to play fuh yuh. deh to cocky. ::)
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2008, 02:48:45 PM »

Do we want to qualify for the WC based on sympathy or on our ability as a Fooball nation,we have to rise so when we get out there we are not embarassed,countries done saying the number of concacaf teams in the WC should be cut because of their quality.

Coop's, tell me what do we have to do to beat the US, in the upcoming game? Do we have the players to match up wit them or is it ah mental. You are a coach, talk to me.
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008, 02:57:18 PM »
Weh-it-is,
                  Get rid of Jack first!!!!! Then hire Coops!!!!!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2008, 03:47:27 PM »

By that bullshit logic then Trinidad eh stand ah chance ah making it either... nutten eh shutting down fuh football, shit people ent even showing up in de stadiums.  Man ent giving up nanny fuh football and it damn sure ent no culture and way of life in TnT.

1]; } ?>