April 26, 2024, 07:09:09 PM

Author Topic: When people let their owns maths fool them  (Read 2035 times)

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
When people let their owns maths fool them
« on: October 12, 2008, 02:53:15 PM »
Reggie Bush would be 20 m behind Bolt's 9.69, but because his top speed is close to Bolt's average speed (including accelerating from a DEAD STOP), here you have it.....

TOTAL TRIPE

http://www.latimes.com/sports/football/nfl/la-sp-nfllines12-2008oct12,0,4035758.story
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: When people let their owns maths fool them
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 10:59:22 AM »
You notice they never said what his average speed was?  They only using Bush's top speed to compare with Bolt's average speed.  It have many men who could get to that speed but to hold it for any distance is what separates the Olympic sprinters from the rest.  That is not to say that Bush may not have become a great sprinter if he had chosen track, but the comparison is just a bunch of sensationalist journalism.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 11:19:00 AM »
You notice they never said what his average speed was?  They only using Bush's top speed to compare with Bolt's average speed.  It have many men who could get to that speed but to hold it for any distance is what separates the Olympic sprinters from the rest.  That is not to say that Bush may not have become a great sprinter if he had chosen track, but the comparison is just a bunch of sensationalist journalism.

Hard to gauge what Bush's "average speed" would be, since he's hardly ever running at top speed in a game... any "average speed" they attempt to offer would be deceiving.  While he is capable of hitting top speed once or twice in a game (remember, hard to hit top speed consistently when man tackling yuh or you dodging them)...  for him to hit top speed he needs the ball in his hands with lots of room to run.  Not too many opportunities for that in a game.

I think we should just take the article in stride... it' s a fun kinda thing and one that is more about Bush's speed than any true comparison to Bolt.

Incidentally, there was a nice (albeit fun) piece done by Kenny Mayne yesterday on Sunday NFL Countdown...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEB8GK9zBQM

Should we also start saying that they're silly for even mentioning Bolt and the NFL in the same breath?  Nah man, just have fun with the thing... Usain name making it more and more into the American mainstream, track can only benefit from the ancillary publicity.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 11:20:41 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 12:26:47 PM »
Not only that but top speed for Bolt was likely 27-29 mph - way above Bush's - I fail to understand how u do a comparison of apples and oranges....

avg speed vs top speed.

Bush's avg speed for a run is probably 16-17mph
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 03:17:34 PM »
Not only that but top speed for Bolt was likely 27-29 mph - way above Bush's - I fail to understand how u do a comparison of apples and oranges....
avg speed vs top speed.

That's already acknowledged in the article though "Yes, those speeds are averages over the distance, as opposed to Bush's top speed at a given point. But those runners also weren't carrying a football and saddled with a helmet and pads."

Which is why I think we're making more out of it than the author intended.  The focus on the article is more on the technology and on Bush's top speed than any real comparison of his ability as compared to Bolt's.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 11:27:32 AM »
avg speed vs top speed.

That's already acknowledged in the article though "Yes, those speeds are averages over the distance, as opposed to Bush's top speed at a given point. But those runners also weren't carrying a football and saddled with a helmet and pads."

Which is why I think we're making more out of it than the author intended.  The focus on the article is more on the technology and on Bush's top speed than any real comparison of his ability as compared to Bolt's.

Then why even mention Bolt?  The American press know how to make it up!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 12:40:17 PM »
Then why even mention Bolt?  The American press know how to make it up!

Yuh right.. next time they should contact you before mentioning de fastest man in de world name.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 01:49:31 PM »
To me, the article was just illustrating dat d man is fast, the author wasn't trying to say that he was as fast as Bolt.

1]; } ?>