March 29, 2024, 12:41:55 AM

Author Topic: 2008 NFL Thread  (Read 15232 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
2008 NFL Thread
« on: October 13, 2008, 03:48:04 PM »
I feel Seahawks coach goin an lorse he wuk
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 NFL Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 05:41:28 PM »
I feel Seahawks coach goin an lorse he wuk

Nah I really doubt that. Mike Holmgren is one of the most respected coaches in NFL history and many will tell you he's among the best. Even if Seattle decides that they don't want him anymore (I don't know why they wouldn't because he's not the problem), they will give him the respect of letting him choose to retire at the end of the season (already there was speculation this would be his last season).

Much, much more likely Marv Lewis is fired from Cincinatti.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 11:26:24 AM »
Im just a lil mad that my Giants lost on Monday, and I need Trinidad to "Ease my paaaaain".
I was watching the pre game show and everyone but ONE fella (Steve) said that the Giants were goin and win...and he has the best win/lose record so far this year.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 12:43:35 PM »
Small bump in the road.  Historically the Giants always do bad following a bye week so no surprise there.  Plus Plax play his first game in two weeks and the rust showed.  Eli had one shit game to get out his system... may have a few more.  I more mad that the Giants failed to take advantage of an opportunity to put some distance between dem and the rest of the NFC East.  The Cowboys should struggle now that Romo out a month... Washington still have issues... but I think Philly is back on a come up.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »
I'm a Pats fan so you know how I feel about the Giants. But Bakes is right - the loss was a small bump in the road. I still think the Giants are the best team in the NFL right now and it'll take more than one aberration to make me change my mind.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 10:36:02 PM »
holmgren already announced he was done with the job when his contract expires at the end of the season.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 07:47:11 PM »
holmgren already announced he was done with the job when his contract expires at the end of the season.
Seattle might as well tell him to go NOW....day playin real shit against Tampa Bay tonight 17-0 3rd
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 08:00:54 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 04:39:01 PM »
allya see the #60 with Steelers walkin off the field then "crick crack" he knee give out on him?
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 08:42:10 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlXRengzZoc
I really don't care about American football but I thought this ad was simply beautiful.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 09:48:10 PM »
allya see the #60 with Steelers walkin off the field then "crick crack" he knee give out on him?

That was just ridiculous... de man hurt he knee on ah special teams play and siddung on de field de whole commercial break, it was clear he was in distress.  The Pittsburgh doctors and dem come and check him out, next thing yuh know they have him walking on he own power off de field.  I dunno whey dem buy they medical licensed yes... with ah knee injury you always err on the side of caution, you don't let a player put weight on it.  De man walking good good taking he time next thing yuh know he knee buckle sideways yes.  I sure is something dat was sprain dat end up getting tear dey.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlXRengzZoc
I really don't care about American football but I thought this ad was simply beautiful.
I was wondering whey yuh was doing in here, lol

Yeah dat ad is sweet... love de part whey dey's kids running arung.  To top it off they meet on the field in de end.

Good win by de Giants btw... great win, Steelers is no joke.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 07:34:12 PM »
sound like ah western showdong.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 07:49:13 AM »
last nite game with de eagles and giants was off de hook.NY win 36-31.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 03:47:45 PM »
last nite game with de eagles and giants was off de hook.NY win 36-31.

We doing just about enough to win... but we need to play better.  We have to learn to play mistake-free football or else better teams (and the rest of our schedule full of them) will make us pay for turning the ball over and not capitalizing on opportunities.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 08:24:48 AM »
anybody take in de jets patriots last nite?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2008, 10:52:02 AM »
Attorneys: Vick expects return to NFLUpdated: November 13, 2008, 7:34 PM EST NORFOLK, Va. (AP) - Imprisoned NFL quarterback Michael Vick expects to return to pro football, according to his bankruptcy attorneys who laid out a plan to pay creditors based in part on his anticipated earnings.

"The Debtor has every reason to believe that upon his release, he will be reinstated into the NFL, resume his career and be able to earn a substantial living," Vick's attorneys wrote in a disclosure statement filed before a hearing Thursday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Norfolk.

The former Atlanta Falcons star is serving a 23-month sentence in a federal penitentiary for bankrolling a dogfighting ring in rural Virginia and is scheduled to be released on July 20.

Once the NFL's highest-paid player, Vick has assets of $16 million and liabilities of $20.4 million, according to the court filing in which attorneys wrote in extraordinary detail about Vick's dizzying financial mess — listing a fleet of vehicles, properties, businesses and the extended family he supported.

A Vick attorney said a committee representing all his debtors has proposed a plan to pay off his debt. A judge scheduled a hearing for mid-December on the appointment of a trustee, which Vick's attorneys oppose.
"The committee attorney acknowledged that there's been a lot of progress, so we're hopeful," Peter R. Ginsberg told The Associated Press.

Vick still faces two state felony counts — dogfighting and animal cruelty. They carry maximum prison terms of 10 years, but under a plea deal, Vick would serve a suspended sentence and a year of probation.

He is scheduled to appear in Surry County Circuit Court on Nov. 25.

Paul K. Campsen, another Vick attorney in the bankruptcy proceeding, said he had not had any contact with the NFL, nor had Vick. While Vick still has a contract with the Falcons, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell would have the final say on his return, which he is counting on after he is released.

"That's the hope," Campsen said in an interview. "I think efforts will be made once we get past this."

The attorneys laid out a payment plan to Vick's creditors that includes expected NFL earnings and possible signing bonuses.

Campsen said the reorganization plan involves those expected payments and liquidation of his larger assets.

Ginsberg said if the sides can't agree in December, another hearing will be held in January. Vick was ordered to attend.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 11:51:49 AM »
anybody take in de jets patriots last nite?

yeah. good game. bad result. but at least there were some positives for the pats. with the amount of injuries we have i happy with positives

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 05:32:02 PM »
Eagles, Bengals play to NFL's first tie since '02by Associated PressUpdated: November 16, 2008, 5:27 PM EST13 comments add this Given the way Donovan McNabb played, the Philadelphia Eagles were lucky to get the tie.
McNabb fumbled and threw three interceptions in regulation, and nearly had another pass picked off in overtime Sunday as the Eagles and Bengals played to a 13-13 tie, the NFL's first in six years.

Cincinnati's Shayne Graham missed a 47-yard field goal with 7 seconds left in overtime, falling to the ground as the ball sailed a few inches wide to the right. It was a fitting way to end a game played like the very definition of a tie. Despite all the shanked punts and trick plays, this one went nowhere.

It was the first tied game in the NFL since Nov. 10, 2002, when the Falcons and Steelers finished 34-34 with Michael Vick and Tommy Maddox matching each other pass for pass. In this one, the teams matched each other gaffe for gaffe.

The Eagles (5-4-1) have yet to win a close game this season, going 0-4 with a tie in games decided by less than a touchdown. McNabb had a big hand in this one, matching his career high with three interceptions and setting up 10 of Cincinnati's points.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 05:32:55 PM »
donovan was ah mess.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 11:12:48 PM »
Went to my first regular season NFL game today (went to a pre-season game ft. the Redskins v. Falcons in Vick's rookie season, but that doesn't count).  Great experience... with the lovely s/o to my left and my best friend and his lady to my right... and a sea of Giant blue all around... I was in paradise.  It was cold as Dante's hell... but the neighboring fans were warm and the Giants are hot... 9-1 and barring injuries or a meltdown (God-forbid) we'll be back in the playoffs and hopefully playing come February again.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 11:21:15 PM »
Went to my first regular season NFL game today (went to a pre-season game ft. the Redskins v. Falcons in Vick's rookie season, but that doesn't count).  Great experience... with the lovely s/o to my left and my best friend and his lady to my right... and a sea of Giant blue all around... I was in paradise.  It was cold as Dante's hell... but the neighboring fans were warm and the Giants are hot... 9-1 and barring injuries or a meltdown (God-forbid) we'll be back in the playoffs and hopefully playing come February again.

nice. i went to my first one a few weeks ago too. i noticed so many other things i didn't pick up on when watching tv. damn the giants look good. running against the ravens

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 10:27:35 PM »

nice. i went to my first one a few weeks ago too. i noticed so many other things i didn't pick up on when watching tv. damn the giants look good. running against the ravens

Did you go see yuh boys?  How was the game itself?

What struck me was how sparse the field look... all those close up shots makes the field seem more congested it really is.  Same for the sidelines, there seemed to be a lot less people on both benches.  The substitutions also seemed a bit less organized and crisp than they appear on TV, and very much like a HS or even college game.  This is not to say that the subs were done in a disorganized way, but on TV you think it's this massive substitution and everybody runs on and off at the same time.  The reality (of this game at least) was that it was a handful of guys at a time and sometimes guys didn't know they were supposed to come on/off.

Minor things like that... but a very nice experience, a must for any NFL fan.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2008, 10:40:44 PM »

Did you go see yuh boys?  How was the game itself?

What struck me was how sparse the field look... all those close up shots makes the field seem more congested it really is.  Same for the sidelines, there seemed to be a lot less people on both benches.  The substitutions also seemed a bit less organized and crisp than they appear on TV, and very much like a HS or even college game.  This is not to say that the subs were done in a disorganized way, but on TV you think it's this massive substitution and everybody runs on and off at the same time.  The reality (of this game at least) was that it was a handful of guys at a time and sometimes guys didn't know they were supposed to come on/off.

Minor things like that... but a very nice experience, a must for any NFL fan.

Yeah I saw my Pats beat the Niners in candlestick.

yeah the running on and off of the subs was something i noticed too. the thing i really noticed was how the safeties moved around for different plays. like as soon as they diagnose a run they come flying in in run support or in pass coverage they have to hold position as late as possible so as not to tip off the qb. on tv them is things i does take for granted.

then i saw the niners eagles game the next week. then i went to texas and saw the longhorns play a game too so my football education continuing.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 12:48:17 AM »
Wha'ppen somebody giving away 49rs tix or what?  Yuh can't pay people to watch dem play  :rotfl:

The shifting of the 'D' is always something I pay attention to b/c the Giants have always prided themselves on defense... so I get spoil from early to watch for that.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 05:37:26 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nd0ToNwccl4&amp;feature=related" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nd0ToNwccl4&amp;feature=related</a>

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2008, 04:05:36 PM »
Favre, Jets end Titans' perfect seasonUpdated: November 23, 2008, 4:18 PM EST Tenn. (AP) - The Tennessee Titans are unbeaten no more. Brett Favre and the New York Jets served notice they will be a factor in the AFC this season.

Favre threw two touchdown passes, Leon Washington ran for two scores and the Jets routed the Titans 34-13 on Sunday, snapping the 13-game regular-season winning streak by the NFL's last undefeated team.
The Jets (8-3) came in atop the AFC East after a victory over New England at Foxborough. They have won five straight for the first time since October 2004 and seven of their last eight. The win also pulled them within two of Tennessee (10-1) with five to play in the race for home-field advantage through the playoffs.

The Titans hadn't lost since Dec. 16, 2007, in becoming only the 11th team since 1970 to win its first 10 games.

This time, the NFL's stingiest scoring defense that had been allowing 13.1 points per game had no answer for Favre and the Jets, even with the return of defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch.

The Jets spread out Tennessee, Favre threw fast and often, and they wore the Titans' defense down by keeping it on the field for more than 40 minutes. New York overcame two turnovers and two sacks in the first half by outgaining Tennessee on offense 409-281.

This was only the third game in NFL history featuring two starting quarterbacks with more than 100,000 yards combined yards passing in Favre and Kerry Collins.

Favre threw for 224 yards and had much more help than Collins, whose receivers dropped at least five passes in the first half, including one by Bo Scaife in Jets' territory with room to run. Favre took advantage of a Titans' secondary featuring Chris Carr starting at cornerback in place of Nick Harper, and he was flagged twice on one drive for pass interference.

With the win, Favre broke a tie with Dan Marino for victories in the most NFL stadiums by winning in his 32nd at LP Field.

Washington scored on runs of 61 and 4 yards in the fourth quarter as the Jets padded their lead. Jay Feely also kicked two field goals.

The Jets led 10-3 at halftime and could have had an even bigger margin if not for two turnovers - the first at the Tennessee 21 at the end of the first quarter. Favre could not have started hotter as he completed his first eight passes for 89 yards, the sixth a 10-yard TD pass to Thomas Jones on the opening drive.

The Titans went three-and-out on three of their first five drives and had only 55 yards offense until a final drive just before halftime when Rob Bironas finally put Tennessee on the scoreboard with a 43-yard field goal. Bironas added a 49-yarder in the fourth quarter.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2008, 05:14:50 PM »
Titans lost to de original NFL 'Titans'... and the Giants laying de lumber on Arizona.  Good week in the fantasy league too... life is good.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2008, 04:17:37 PM »
Giants' Burress accidentally shoots self in legby Jay Glazer
Jay Glazer is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com on MSN and also appears every week on FOX NFL Sunday as the network's NFL Insider.
Plaxico Burress' controversial year has just taken a turn for the worse.

The New York Giants wide receiver accidentally shot himself in the right thigh on Friday night, FOXSports.com has learned, not long after being ruled out of Sunday's game against the Redskins with a hamstring injury.

Burress' bad year Plaxico Burress' troubled season hit a sad low Saturday, when Jay Glazer reported the Giants wide receiver accidentally shot himself in the leg. Here's a look at some notable events in his tumultuous 2008. Timeline 
He spent the night in the hospital and the injuries are not believed to be life-threatening. The team is still trying to gather further information on the incident. Several media reports Saturday indicated the shooting took place in a nightclub.

"Our primary concern is for Plaxico's health and well-being, and given the circumstances, we are relieved to say he was released from a New York City hospital," the team said in a statement.

The Giants have discussed the matter with NFL security and are attempting to gather more details.

"This incident could become a matter for law enforcement officials, and because of that we have no comment on any of the details," the team said.

Added NFL spokesman Joe Browne: "We are gathering information, just like everyone else."

This has been a troubled year for Burress, who opened the season with a lengthy contract dispute. The 31-year-old was also suspended for a game and fined $117,500 for missing a team meeting and failing to notify the team of his absence. He said he had a family emergency.

He also was fined $45,000 by the NFL for his conduct during a game against 49ers in October when he abused an official and tossed a ball into the stands.

The Giants are atop the NFC standings with a 10-1 record and are vying for their seventh straight win Sunday when they face Washington.

Burress initially pulled his injured hamstring in the Giants' win over Baltimore on Nov. 16. He then aggravated the injury in the opening series last Sunday against Arizona, and then sat out the rest of that game.
Hixon, who is dealing with an ankle injury, will start in Burress' place Sunday.

Burress caught the winning pass in the Giants' Super Bowl win over the New England Patriots. He signed a five-year, $35 million contract hours before the season opened in September.

The signing came after an unsettling offseason during which Burress was fined $25,000 for refusing to practice during a mandatory minicamp in June. He also missed most of training camp at the University at Albany with a sprained ankle. He insisted the injury — not his contract — kept him off the field.

Despite his lack of practice, Burress started in the opener against Washington and caught 10 passes for 133 yards. The following week, he had five catches for 81 yards and a touchdown in a win over St. Louis.

The rest of the season has not been as productive. The most passes he has caught in any game since is four in a loss to Cleveland on Oct. 13, the game which followed his suspension.

Burress has 35 catches for 454 yards and four touchdowns in a season in which he has constantly drawn double coverage. His streak of receptions in 115 consecutive games ended last week in Arizona. He aggravated his hamstring injury during the first series and did not return.

It was the sixth-longest active streak in the league, dating to Nov. 26, 2000 against Cincinnati, Burress' rookie season in Pittsburgh.

Signed as a free agent in 2005, Burress had caught a pass in all 56 previous games in which he had played for the Giants.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2008, 09:12:23 PM »
plaxico season done and bloomberg done say he looking to lock him up for as long as possible.

I understand that dem men does be targeted but he really move like a damn fool.  at least go about the thing properly and get the right instruction.  you carrying a loaded gun in a nightclub with the safety off.  shooting yourself in the leg is one of the more fortunate ways for the situation to play out.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2008, 12:33:20 AM »
plaxico season done and bloomberg done say he looking to lock him up for as long as possible.

I understand that dem men does be targeted but he really move like a damn fool.  at least go about the thing properly and get the right instruction.  you carrying a loaded gun in a nightclub with the safety off.  shooting yourself in the leg is one of the more fortunate ways for the situation to play out.

Facts not quite as yuh state them from what I hear... he went to the club with the gun and was escorted inside to hand it over.  In the process of surrendering it he discharged it.  I fault him for having an unlicensed handgun and for not handling it properly...

Unlike many, I personally ent questioning why he need to be walking arung with it.  Just last week his team mate Steve Smith was robbed at gunpoint by the driver hired to take him home.  So I fully understand why dem men and dem would be strapped.  Best believe I was walking with it whenever I step foot outside mih gates.

As fuh Bloomberg... he's a fukkin ass.  All he doing is jeopardizing de case by making it hard for Plax to get a fair trial, and by putting unnecessary pressure on the prosecution at the same time.  Prosecution run and charge him under a statute that carries a minimum sentence of 3 1/2 yrs... but which charges him with carrying the firearm with intent to use on another (that's the legal presumption).  This means that the burden is on the defense to show that there was no intent to use the firearm on someone else.  Given the particular facts in this case and how everything went down he stands a good chance of proving that he didn't intend to use the weapon on anyone in particular (unless prosecution can show that there was a target on which he intended to use the gun at the Latin Quarter).

Should he successfully show that he didn't intend to use the weapon on any one particular person then the prosecution's case falls apart.  It thus seems more likely that they will reduce the charge to simple possession (minus the whole intent to use on another bit), which likely will result in probation, given that he's a first offender.  Some 80% of defendants charged under this new law (in effect since 2006) have had their charges reduced... so this seems the likely route, although the publicity surrounding the case may cause the prosecution to hesitate (not wanting to be accused of favoritism).

Bloomberg definitely not helping... but that's what happens when politicians insist on inserting themselves into the mix for political gain.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2008, 07:01:44 PM »

Facts not quite as yuh state them from what I hear... he went to the club with the gun and was escorted inside to hand it over.  In the process of surrendering it he discharged it.  I fault him for having an unlicensed handgun and for not handling it properly...

Unlike many, I personally ent questioning why he need to be walking arung with it.  Just last week his team mate Steve Smith was robbed at gunpoint by the driver hired to take him home.  So I fully understand why dem men and dem would be strapped.  Best believe I was walking with it whenever I step foot outside mih gates.

As fuh Bloomberg... he's a f**kkin ass.  All he doing is jeopardizing de case by making it hard for Plax to get a fair trial, and by putting unnecessary pressure on the prosecution at the same time.  Prosecution run and charge him under a statute that carries a minimum sentence of 3 1/2 yrs... but which charges him with carrying the firearm with intent to use on another (that's the legal presumption).  This means that the burden is on the defense to show that there was no intent to use the firearm on someone else.  Given the particular facts in this case and how everything went down he stands a good chance of proving that he didn't intend to use the weapon on anyone in particular (unless prosecution can show that there was a target on which he intended to use the gun at the Latin Quarter).

Should he successfully show that he didn't intend to use the weapon on any one particular person then the prosecution's case falls apart.  It thus seems more likely that they will reduce the charge to simple possession (minus the whole intent to use on another bit), which likely will result in probation, given that he's a first offender.  Some 80% of defendants charged under this new law (in effect since 2006) have had their charges reduced... so this seems the likely route, although the publicity surrounding the case may cause the prosecution to hesitate (not wanting to be accused of favoritism).

Bloomberg definitely not helping... but that's what happens when politicians insist on inserting themselves into the mix for political gain.

bakes, you seem to be hearing stuff - did you hear anything about how antonio pierce was involved? was he just there with plax? did he help the reported 'cover-up' of the incident? i havent heard a lot so i was jus wondering...

1]; } ?>