April 25, 2024, 11:48:15 PM

Author Topic: Yorke: Tables are turning.  (Read 3487 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Yorke: Tables are turning.
« on: October 14, 2008, 03:49:41 AM »
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

Soca Warriors target US in World Cup qualifier

Trinidad and Tobago's most accomplished footballer, Dwight Yorke, yesterday set sights on another piece of sporting history as he vowed to help the "Soca Warriors" achieve their first victory over the United States in a senior competitive fixture.

A point against the US in tomorrow's 2010 World Cup qualifier could be vital to the Warriors' ambitions of progressing to the final CONCACAF qualifying round. But Yorke wants all three points at stake at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain and an unprecedented win against a familiar foe.

"We know the history about them," said Yorke, who played in the infamous November 19 qualifier against the US at the same venue 19 years ago. "They always seem to get the better of us, but I think the tables are turning."

Yorke was absent, last month, when the Warriors fell 3-0 to the US in Chicago, but the North Americans travelled with a radically different squad for their next fixture. Coach Bob Bradley left nine regular players out of his team to face Trinidad and Tobago.

But the Warriors captain and Sunderland ace does not intend to be distracted by Bradley's tinkering.

"We would be silly to underestimate the US," said the former Manchester United stand-out. "They are in a position to make those kind of changes, but we have to eradicate that from our minds.

"Our main aim is to try and get three points no matter what they put in front of us."

Yorke, 36, remained on the Hasely Crawford field yesterday evening after most of his teammates retreated to the dressing room following their work-out. He juggled the ball and traded some long passes with teammate and national record goal-scorer, Stern John.

Yorke praised the present squad but was quick to point out the influence of the more experienced players like Russell Latapy, Dennis Lawrence, John and himself in extracting the right approach from their younger colleagues.

On cue, another player from the 2006 qualifying campaign, Wrexham utility player Silvio Spann, landed at Piarco International Airport yesterday evening and can be a surprise addition tomorrow.

Spann, 27, has 34 international caps, although he has not represented his country since head coach Francisco Maturana's first game at the helm against Guadeloupe in February.

Another veteran happy to put in a shift is 36-year-old Walsall goalkeeper Clayton Ince, who set a T&T record for clean sheets in World Cup qualifying action on Saturday.

Ince's shut-out away to Guatemala was his tenth for Trinidad and Tobago, which is one more than present goalkeeper coach and former stand-out Michael Maurice and six more than retired custodians Shaka Hislop and Kelvin Barclay.

"It means a lot to me," said Ince, who was excluded since the country's opening World Cup qualifying 2-1 loss to Bermuda in June. "As a goalkeeper, the most important thing is a clean sheet I don't know what the future holds for me as in the past I lost my place to Shaka Hislop and Kelvin Jack.

"This is my opportunity to show that I have improved and learned from my mistakes and have progressed in my career."

Another clean sheet tomorrow could be priceless.

The team did several warm-up exercises yesterday before a practice match among themselves.

Cyd Gray and Anthony Wolfe, who are suspended for tomorrow's qualifier, took part and Gray expressed confidence in his teammates' ability to get the job done without him.

"I felt hard done by against Guatemala," said Gray, who said that he intentionally walked slowly off the field to give the Warriors maximum time to regroup after his controversial expulsion. "It will be hard for me to miss out but I have a lot of faith in my teammates."

Yorke was thrilled with Saturday's showing and promises similar gusto tomorrow once the players recover physically.

"I am a little battered and bruised after such a gruelling encounter," said a grinning Yorke. "But the old bones are still intact and determined to go ahead. I am blessed with good genes from my family

"I must pay tribute to the lads for an outstanding performance away from home in such a hostile situation."

The Warriors, according to Yorke, cannot wait to do even better in front of their own supporters and create some history along the way.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline mwanasoka

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is played from de neck up.
    • View Profile
Re: Yorke: Tables are turning.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 04:56:21 AM »
One more hurdle and on to the next round.. Good luck Warriors and may God be with you.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will know peace.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 06:06:51 AM »
One more hurdle and on to the next round.. Good luck Warriors and may God be with you.

correction : TWO more hurdles
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 06:11:00 AM »
anyone has a clip of YORKIE shoulding Ruiz

Lets Go TnT!!!

One game at a time 3 point vs USA, then another 3 vs Fidel's troops

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 06:18:00 AM »

correction : TWO more hurdles

mankind counting he chickens oui...2nd hurdle on November 19 to boot!   :o

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 06:48:45 AM »
I still cyah believe them put Marvin Phillips in goal before calling Clayton Ince for the first match. 

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 07:39:33 AM »
I really believing that we like living “Dangerously” we like to live on thee “edge” per say. The thrill and thee excitement of a decision of one or two games, make us fired up. Tell the truth!  ;D I kinda of like it meh self, ;) It produces a fiery passion, to kinda give it your all.   Overcoming your hurdles despite being in a hostile environment, the black list, players injuries, Dumb coaching etc. Despite the odds, together we aspirer together we shall achieve and win our last two games to go higher. WE are Warriors!!! 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 07:50:33 AM by Weh-it-is »
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 07:41:02 AM »
as a woman in the stadium said at the DR game "we trinis like heart attack football"
i really believe it now. We can't do the things the easy way
Back in Trini...

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 10:01:37 AM »
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

Soca Warriors target US in World Cup qualifier

"I felt hard done by against Guatemala," said Gray, who said that he intentionally walked slowly off the field to give the Warriors maximum time to regroup after his controversial expulsion. "It will be hard for me to miss out but I have a lot of faith in my teammates."

Yorke was thrilled with Saturday's showing and promises similar gusto tomorrow once the players recover physically.

"I am a little battered and bruised after such a gruelling encounter," said a grinning Yorke. "But the old bones are still intact and determined to go ahead. I am blessed with good genes from my family

"I must pay tribute to the lads for an outstanding performance away from home in such a hostile situation."

The Warriors, according to Yorke, cannot wait to do even better in front of their own supporters and create some history along the way.

And allyuh say Cyd Gray doh use he brain.  Dais not true at all.  He just cyah use it and play football at de same time.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 10:05:53 AM »
And allyuh say Cyd Gray doh use he brain.  Dais not true at all.  He just cyah use it and play football at de same time.
oh gaum, ya ent easy  :rotfl:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 11:32:30 AM »
as a woman in the stadium said at the DR game "we trinis like heart attack football"
i really believe it now. We can't do the things the easy way

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 09:14:34 PM »
Yep 2 games 2 win 2 b in d hex
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 09:51:41 PM »
Yep 2 games 2 win 2 b in d hex

And if dah happen...guess who is de coach?  ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 09:55:03 PM »
     It must happen and we must still have the Great one aka the Little Magician as coach.

J.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power." 

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 09:55:53 PM »
Yuh tink so Palos? I was wonderin' the same ting. Ah tell yuh wot, I tink He/they will do a great job, provided, of course, there is minimal interference. Now that is the challenge.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2008, 12:06:16 AM »
we getting atleast 4 points....hopefully 6!!!

we want ah win against de US...take bush baths and get it over with!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2008, 02:44:26 AM »
What time is de game

:praying: :praying: :praying: :praying: :praying:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

1]; } ?>