April 28, 2024, 11:34:55 AM

Author Topic: Warriors make history with 2-1 win over USA.  (Read 29508 times)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Player ratings: USA vs. Trinidad and Tobago
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2008, 01:20:51 PM »
100 degrees ?

I think it was 80 degrees but with the humidity the effective temperature was in the 90's...

fahrenheit of course...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2008, 01:34:41 PM »
Email it 2 d head chipmunk y was he out ah d team
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors make history with 2-1 win over USA.
« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2008, 02:05:38 PM »
Congratulations, Trinis! Your team played well last night. The midfield looked especially solid, and all the players were hungry and determined. In particular, the old-timer duo of Yorke and Latapy shined. I think that quite a few of our youngsters were a bit overwhelmed by the Trini determination and spirit, and it showed.

That being said, you guys clearly received two huge gifts with those botched offside calls. Especially on the second, as Altidore would have been 1on1 with your keeper right in the middle of the box. Count yourselves lucky for that.

Anyway, good luck in your final game. I would much rather see you guys in the Hex than those dirty, diving Guats. You deserve it more.

Cheers!  :beermug:

Your team certainly didn't make it easy for us... I can't really say much about the offsides calls, but we kinda gifted you guys your goal in that messy scramble.

Still best scene of the night for me was when Latapy was subbed off, he was about to pass by Klijestan who reached out and gave him some dap.  Classy move between two professionals.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2008, 02:23:13 PM »
Some will argue that 5.5 is still too high for Spann lol

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2008, 03:02:34 PM »
Now Scotland is a good player and has done well for his club, however some players are better for their club than their country, scottie has a stern john finish, they are similar players.

From watching the game I believe scottie needs to come off the bench because he was not effective, I saw mistrapping and throwing away chances, when he had a chance to dribble into the box he passed. Hes a poacher in every sense of the word.

The coaching staff should start roberts and sub on glen, john doesn't look 100% and should not have been subbed in. It is obvious when jones returns he will start, but the 2nd and 3rd option should be roberts and glen. They are the opposite of john and scottie and we need that variation upfront.

Way alyuh learn football. Scottie work really hard. He played vertically and horizontally. This kept at least 3 US defenders busy. He had little help when he got the ball and did well to hold up the ball. His work rate was great.

Stern did not replicate such work and the Coach missed when he made that sub as it gave the US defenders the opportunity to go forward. That was one of the reason the US pushed on the out of timing sub.

Scotland did well,, his early shots and deft touche, made the defender have to play behind him as they could not take the chance to cheat forward for fear that Scottie will exploit a back 2.  

I have to agree with Elan with respect to Jason Scotland's good performance.  I think scottie was very effective.  He needs to sharpen up a bit but overall he was very good and he kept the US back line under pressure.  

what game allyuh watching? the DR replay ???
To people like yourself who are probably not as knowlegable about the game, it may appear that Scottie was not effective at all.  His game definitly could have been better but he was actually very effective.  He was effective because the defenders were really focused on him and that gave other players more space. He was also strong enough to hold the ball up and lay it off to other guys. His movement across the field and his willingness to close down defenders when they won possesion helped our midfield get back into position and it forced defenders to give up corner kicks.  These are the type of things that less knowlegable people don't notice and dont give credit for. However these things have a huge effect on the outcome of the game. I am also a huge fan of cornel glen, Daryl Roberts and Stern John, but it's up to the people in charge to pick the starting squad and choose the players that fit into their tactical plan.  I think Glen was injured anyway.

well with your infinite wisdom you have seemed to forget that roberts and glen also help the midfield and run back on defense, and they also create space for the midfielders, not to mention they run at defenders and create opportunities, unlike scotland and they also score on occasion, unlike scotland, not to mention they trap the ball better and can actually dribble against defenders, barring glen was injured, roberts would have been a better choice by far, especially since we now have a creative midfielder, just wanted to highlight those points to people who feel they are knowledgable about the game of football.

Please read my previous post a few more times until you understand what I said.  You will notice that I never compared Scotland to Glen or Roberts. I also did not comment on how Glen or Roberts perform in games. In addition to that I did not attempt to rank these guys in order of who should be 1st, 2nd or 3rd choice.   So, Mr or Ms Controversial, I did not forget anything about anybody.  My simple point was that Scotland was actually effective and you seem to be overlooking some of his important contributions.  I am a big fan of Scottie, Glen, Roberts, Stern John and KJ.   Who ever starts up front, I wish them the best and hope that they can contribue to a Trinidad victory.

Offline tsingh

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2008, 03:28:54 PM »
Congrats to the team and to the die-hard supporters.  A win is a win.  I agree with most posters that Birchall really earned the MOM Award.  Without him in the line-up is pressure.  But going in to the last game with not so much pressure to win and playing the last placed team at home is good for once.  Great job by Latapy and Yorke ... playing at that age at that level aint easy.

Word of caution though ... the usa we will probably face in the next round won't be the usa we play last night.  Jut trying to keep things in perspective.  Hopefully we will have a better balanced stronger team in the next round. 

Offline QWT

• New Warrior
  • In China, nothing surprises me anymore!
    • View Profile
    • Resident Alien - a blog about my life in China
Re: Any Highlights of T&T vs USA?
« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2008, 07:15:04 PM »
Hey QWY u still around what's up brudder?

Yeah I'm still around.

Haha, I just don't post much...

Also ever since the last server move I haven't been online much as the website is unavailable in China. It's not blocked because of content though, but probably just because of the IP or something like that if it's on a shared server.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2008, 07:24:55 PM »
Glad dat u around hope u wukin on d next boss video
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #128 on: October 17, 2008, 04:09:20 AM »
Guatemalans cry over result.
-Ian Prescott (Express).

Ramon Maradiaga, Guatemala's Honduran coach, has come in for harsh criticism and likewise Trinidad and Tobago for twice ending Guatemala's World Cup run, according to the country's top newspaper Prensa Libre.

La Presa's main story yesterday said: "Trinidad y Tobago, su verdadera bestia negra", which roughly translates to "Trinidad and Tobago is a true black beast".

Prensa Libre carried reports on both T&T's 2-1 win over the USA and Guatemala's 2-1 defeat, their first-ever loss against Cuba.

One report commended T&T, describing the Soca Warriors as showing they can play good football against the USA, while the other story described T&T as black beasts.

It was reported that Guatemalans packed bars and homes anticipating a good result on Wednesday against Cuba. There was a great uproar when they were level 1-1, and at the same time the USA equalised with Trinidad and Tobago in the 75th minute.

Prensa Libre reported that the night eventually ended in anger and sorrow for many Guatemalans.

Yesterday's Prensa Libre headline read: "Adios SudAfrica" (Goodbye South Africa).

And although Guatemala still have a mathematical chance of advancing to CONCACAF'S Final Round of World Cup qualifying, the consensus in the Central American country is that their World Cup chances are gone. 

They say the beginning of the end came when Guatemala failed to beat T&T last Saturday.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 17, 2008, 05:31:56 AM »
Yep dat was d beginnin ah d end when dey eh beat oui

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 17, 2008, 05:46:12 AM »
Black beasts eh?
That is a questionable comment.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Goal.com Player ratings: USA vs. Trinidad and Tobago
« Reply #131 on: October 17, 2008, 07:42:28 AM »
http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=go-usaratings101608&prov=goal&type=lgns

Player ratings: USA vs. Trinidad and Tobago

By Kyle McCarthy, Goal.com
Oct 16, 1:18 pm EDT
Buzz Up
Print

Man of the match: Edwards (R).
AP - Oct 15, 10:59 pm EDT

World Soccer Gallery

Related Coverage
A lackluster U.S. performance against Trinidad and Tobago
Goal.com World Cup 2010 qualifying coverage

Dwight Yorke’s late penalty gave Trinidad and Tobago a 2-1 victory over the United States to give the Trinis a much-needed three points in their fight for a place in CONCACAF’s final round of World Cup qualifying.

UNITED STATES

Brad Guzan: 6 – Not to blame on either of the goals and generally looked in command of his penalty area. A competent and reliable second-string keeper.

Heath Pearce: 4 – Consistently looks out of match practice and out of his depth at international level. When paired against a good player, like Carlos Edwards, Pearce often comes off second best.

Michael Orozco: 6 – Looked the more comfortable and composed of the two center backs. Did well to hack clear a dangerous rebound in the opening stages and deflect an Edwards shot in the second half. Showed enough to prove he has a future at this level, especially with his physical play.

Danny Califf: 4.5 – This isn’t the game Califf sought to distinguish himself from Orozco and the injured Jay DeMerit. Often looked a step slow and failed to anticipate the play.

Frankie Hejduk: 5 – What you see is what you get from Frankie. He’ll go out and do a competent job in the back while ineffectively trying to provide width going forward. Not a bad effort.ADVERTISEMENT

DaMarcus Beasley: 5 – Stand-in captain tried to influence the game early, but generally faded away. Difficult to place too much blame on him considering the ineffective play in the middle of the field.

Jose Francisco Torres: 5 – Looked the best of the four other midfielders. Generally tidy in his passing and willing to step into the passing lanes. Remains to be seen whether he is a first-team player or a fringe player going forward.

Freddy Adu: 4.5 – Ineffective in breaking down the T&T defense. Aside from a long-distance shot that went astray, Adu had little impact on the match.

Maurice Edu: 4 – Passing bordered on criminal for most of the night. For a player with defensive tenacity, Edu showed precious little of it on this evening. Needs game time at Rangers or a loan to another club.

Sacha Kljestan: 4.5 – Not impressed with his passing, either. Did well to get into the wide-right channel on occasion but his final service lacked what it needed.

Jozy Altidore: 5 – His uneven performance is why Brian Ching remains on the team. Made a great run to set up Davies’ goal, but a spurned open net and a needless penalty giveaway topped off a generally ineffective night. Not that coach Bradley or his teammates gave him much support.

Substitutes

Charlie Davies: 6 – Came on for Adu in the 69th and showed enough to make Bob Bradley want to leave Eddie Johnson in Wales for the considerable future. Scored one and should have had an assist but for Altidore’s profligacy. … Danny Szetela: no rating – Replaced Torres in 84th minute. … Chris Rolfe: no rating – Replaced Pearce in 88th minute.

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

Clayton Ince: 6 – The keeper didn’t have much to do, but remained a calm force behind the T&T backline.

Akile Edwards: 6 – The better of the two fullbacks on the evening. Didn’t venture forward much, but didn’t make anyone forget Avery John either.

Dennis Lawrence: 6 – Sometimes rickety in his old age but generally did the job. Questions will be asked about where he was on the American goal.

Keyeno Thomas: 5 – Whiffed twice on an opportunity from a corner kick before leaving the match with an injury.

Silvio Spann: 5.5 – Looked a bit out of his depth at right back. It’s not his natural role, but he’s done well enough here to get the job done.

Keon Daniel: 4.5 – Has electric pace yet struggled to get in behind defenders. Abjectly neglected any sort of defensive duties. Again, the question has to be whether this is a good spot on the field for him.

Chris Birchall: 7 – How Birchall was ever left out of the team remains anyone’s guess. Did the things you want Michael Bradley to do in the center of the field. Held well while seizing his moments to plunge forward. Provided the impetus for the first goal.

Russell Latapy: 7 – Father Time has no mark on the 40-year-old playmaker. He fades in and out of the game now, but his first goal was well taken. Never puts a pass astray and generally found himself in the right spots.

Dwight Yorke: 6.5 – Very quiet up until scoring the winning penalty. Asked to do yeoman’s work in the middle of the park and completed the task well. Could T&T ask for a better option to take a penalty with the team’s World Cup future on the line?

Carlos Edwards: 7.5 – It’s not too much of a stretch to say Edwards has a case to be the best right winger in CONCACAF. Consistently gets in behind defenses and constantly threatens the opposition. Most players with attacking ability shirk defensive responsibility; Edwards tracked back frequently to foil Beasley. The best player on the field on this evening.

Jason Scotland: 6 – Does everything one can ask from a lone center forward. Holds the ball up well, stretches defenses by tracking down balls and competes for everything. Finishing touch wasn’t there, but a good shift.

Substitutes

Makan Hislop: 5.5 – Caught ball watching on the Americans’ goal. Otherwise, steady as she goes. &hellip: Stern John: 5 – Pretty quiet night for the Southampton striker. … Kareem Hyland: 6 – Looked active and bright at time when T&T needed his fresh legs.

Offline BAGOGYUL

• Miss Yorkeeee....is mi Auntyyy!
  • New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 17, 2008, 07:47:15 AM »
what a game! I woke up the entire neighborhood after dwight scored that penalty kick.
Hello...TRY ALLYUH BEST!

Offline BAGOGYUL

• Miss Yorkeeee....is mi Auntyyy!
  • New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 17, 2008, 07:49:26 AM »
i find them usa commentators didnt bad talk or butcher any of we players names like foxsport does do.  I guess the good working relations they had with the ttff and shaka hislop have something to do.  they even interviewed Yorke after the game rather than an american player too.

ENT, i thought that was awesome.
Hello...TRY ALLYUH BEST!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 17, 2008, 07:51:18 AM »
what a game! I woke up the entire neighborhood after dwight scored that penalty kick.

bagogyul,

i hear yuh bawling. do po po looking for yuh now fuh dat.

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Guatemalans cry over result
« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2008, 10:05:34 AM »
Guatemalans Cry Over Result
Ian Prescott (Daily Express)

Ramon Maradiaga Guatemala's Honduran coach, has come in for harsh criticism and likewise Trinidad and Tobago for twice ending Guatemala's World Cup run, according to the country's top newspaper Prensa Libre.

La Presa's main story yesterday said: "Trinidad y Tobago, su verdadera bestia negra", which roughly translates to "Trinidad and Tobago is a true black beast".

Prensa Libre carried reports on both T&T's 2-1 win over the USA and Guatemala's 2-1 defeat, their first-ever loss against Cuba.

One report commended T&T, describing the Soca Warriors as showing they can play good football against the USA, while the other story described T&T as black beasts.

It was reported that Guatemalans packed bars and homes anticipating a good result on Wednesday against Cuba. There was a great uproar when they were level 1-1, and at the same time the USA equalised with Trinidad and Tobago in the 75th minute.

Prensa Libre reported that the night eventually ended in anger and sorrow for many Guatemalans.

Yesterday's Prensa Libre headline read: "Adios SudAfrica" (Goodbye South Africa).

And although Guatemala still have a mathematical chance of advancing to CONCACAF's Final Round of World Cup qualifying, the consensus in the Central American country is that their World Cup chances are gone.

They say the beginning of the end came when Guatemala failed to beat T&T last Saturday.

Offline teddy bear

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2008, 10:06:38 AM »
Some will argue that 5.5 is still too high for Spann lol

especially when yuh give skilla a 4.5?

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
Re: Guatemalans cry over result
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2008, 10:16:02 AM »
.It good fuh them let them cry and they like to throw beer on wee and start fight. :)

We team is really thee "Black Beast" because after we finish off Cuba, it go more weeping and garnishing of sliver teeth.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:30:11 AM by Weh-it-is »
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2008, 10:18:25 AM »
Before all yuh start, "black beast" have no racist connotation eh.

In French (bęte noir) and Spanish, black beast mean you nemesis, yuh blight, your insurmountable obstacle.

Funny though how many languages the word black/dark has so many negative connotations...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 17, 2008, 10:32:54 AM »
is cuba put ah cutass on them and they blamin we.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2008, 10:33:51 AM »
In French (bęte noir) and Spanish, black beast mean you nemesis, yuh blight, your insurmountable obstacle.
Funny though how many languages the word black/dark has so many negative connotations...
just last week I came across this website
http://french.about.com/library/bl-frenchinenglish-list.htm
"bęte noire - black beast - Similar to a pet peeve: something that is particularly distasteful or difficult and to be avoided. "

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 10:36:41 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 17, 2008, 10:37:44 AM »

not that funny, given many of the  sayings have roots in the drkness of night, or winter...rather than skin color

Offline RedDevils

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2008, 10:38:22 AM »

well somebody have to take de blame  :devil:

they don't want to take blame so pass it on, as long as they dont make it pay them losers no mine.
Glory, Glory MANUTD.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 17, 2008, 10:40:17 AM »
Haul dey mudder c#nt
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline benedicts bwoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2008, 10:44:44 AM »
Haul dey mudder c#nt

I am Benedicts Bwoy and I approve of this message !

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2008, 10:47:45 AM »
Thanks BB...but ah have a bone to pick with you with that talk bout USA giving we de match...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2008, 10:54:07 AM »
Wouldn't you cry if you was dem?

We is dem Haiti, USA & Jamaica all roll into one.

De only other team dem hate more dan we is Honduras.  Dem 2 actually had a war over a football match back in de day.  No lie!

We poison dem in 89

We poison dem in 2005

We poison dem again in 2008

I totally understand their frustration.  Especially when they see us in footballing terms like how we used to see de USA back in 89, and how we see Barbados now....as a footballing non entity.  Whether they correct or not...and obviously they not, they feel dey superior to we in terms of football.  Dey feel dey more skillful, better players etc and view us as "WILD".

Sound familiar?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2008, 10:57:04 AM »
Haul dey mudder c#nt

I am Benedicts Bwoy and I approve of this message !

Me too.... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline benedicts bwoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 17, 2008, 10:58:22 AM »
Chech yuh email BM!

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 17, 2008, 10:58:55 AM »
Wouldn't you cry if you was dem?

We is dem Haiti, USA & Jamaica all roll into one.

De only other team dem hate more dan we is Honduras.  Dem 2 actually had a war over a football match back in de day.  No lie!

We poison dem in 89

We poison dem in 2005

We poison dem again in 2008

I totally understand their frustration.  Especially when they see us in footballing terms like how we used to see de USA back in 89, and how we see Barbados now....as a footballing non entity.  Whether they correct or not...and obviously they not, they feel dey superior to we in terms of football.  Dey feel dey more skillful, better players etc and view us as "WILD".

Sound familiar?

That was actually El Salvador and Honduras....Guatemala was'nt involved.

1]; } ?>