March 28, 2024, 09:09:07 AM

Author Topic: Warriors make history with 2-1 win over USA.  (Read 29153 times)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Any Highlights of T&T vs USA?
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2008, 10:04:15 AM »
Hey QWY u still around what's up brudder?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Peg Elan and the rest of naysayers......
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2008, 10:05:59 AM »
pucker up allyuh lips and kiss my ass!

Latapy is still a boss.  His vision is awesome and we have no player that can replicate his plays!

Additionally, his leadership in the middle made all the difference in this game, he marshaled Birchall and had the middle like a fortress, something we have never been able to do against the USA!

Peg, listen girl, stick to cake decorating and floral arrangement.

Latapy is again T&T's saviour!

Latapy did not Marshall anyone, he had more bad passes than positive one. He stepped up and finished the goal, but by no means did he rally the midfield. Half the time he was playing as a 4-4-2.

Don't get it wrong. I am really glad that he was on the field and scored but he pull real stone.

If you want we can do a conference in the chat room while watching the game and we can do a break down of the game.

Breds yuh talking shit.

latas laid off some sweet passes to Scotland, and to Edwards.

he was closed down plenty, but still he si de man.

Yuh could say what yuh want...if he did not come back, we ass dark and you and that girl name Peg woulda be making baby all now.

You find latas pull stones, becasue dat is what yuh wanted to see.

Here is what you believe what you as your put down will make it right.

I will watch the game later and give you specifc plays to back up my argument, instead of put down.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors make history with 2-1 win over USA.
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2008, 10:10:27 AM »
very sad display of football by TNT . A win is a win and I will tek dat especially against USA but man I depressed to see my team playing like dat...
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland shouldn't start ahead of Roberts and Glen
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2008, 10:13:59 AM »
Now scotland is a good player and has done well for his club, however some players are better for their club than their country, scottie has a stern john finish, they are similar players.

From watching the game I believe scottie needs to come off the bench because he was not effective, I saw mistrapping and throwing away chances, when he had a chance to dribble into the box he passed. Hes a poacher in every sense of the word.

The coaching staff should start roberts and sub on glen, john doesn't look 100% and should not have been subbed in. It is obvious when jones returns he will start, but the 2nd and 3rd option should be roberts and glen. They are the opposite of john and scottie and we need that variation upfront.

Way alyuh learn football. Scottie work really hard. He played vertically and horizontally. This kept at least 3 US defenders busy. He had little help when he got the ball and did well to hold up the ball. His work rate was great.

Stern did not replicate such work and the Coach missed when he made that sub as it gave the US defenders the opportunity to go forward. That was one of the reason the US pushed on the out of timing sub.

Scotland did well,, his early shots and deft touche, made the defender have to play behind him as they could not take the chance to cheat forward for fear that Scottie will exploit a back 2.  
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2008, 10:14:04 AM »
i find them usa commentators didnt bad talk or butcher any of we players names like foxsport does do.  I guess the good working relations they had with the ttff and shaka hislop have something to do.  they even interviewed Yorke after the game rather than an american player too.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2008, 10:16:36 AM »
I find Scotland should start on the left wing, his speed strength is needed on that left.

Scotty in front ah who on the left wing, Keon or Hyland? He ent ready to go over deh nah Sky. :-\

I had a few friends with me watching the match in its entirety, scottie doesnt have the speed of a glen or roberts, on one occassion he couldn't beat the defender to the ball in oppositions 1st third, if it was glen, glen would have won the race, if glen is injured ok, but roberts is much better a player and he comes back in the mid to assist on defense and build up, I think the coaching staff needs to give scottie a rest, he is a good player for his club but he is failing for his country. Latas gave him some gifts for instance and he throw away and didn't do anything with them.

At what point in time of the games were those gifts given? What about the gift he gave to Latas and he could not go past the first defender as his feet got stuck under him.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2008, 10:17:05 AM »
more highlights here - mexico-canada & el sal-surinam.

SEEDORF FOR SURINAM!

http://digg.com/soccer/CONCACAF_World_Cup_Qualifier_Highlights_for_10_16_08

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2008, 10:17:19 AM »
hear nah dat fatman who kicking air name scotland? dais de man everybody saying is de real deal? lawd look thing .. dat man is simple shithound.. put back glen upfront ..dais mi bwoy!!!!!!!!!! then hit dem de killer Stern  look thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
war...
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2008, 10:24:10 AM »
hear nah dat fatman who kicking air name scotland? dais de man everybody saying is de real deal? lawd look thing .. dat man is simple shithound.. put back glen upfront ..dais mi bwoy!!!!!!!!!! then hit dem de killer Stern  look thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
war...

scottie shouldnt be starting over glen and roberts, thats just plain nonesense, i haven't seen a noteworthy performance from scotland to date, other than the 9-0 thrashing of DR.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:26:25 AM by Controversial »

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2008, 10:27:19 AM »
Now scotland is a good player and has done well for his club, however some players are better for their club than their country, scottie has a stern john finish, they are similar players.

From watching the game I believe scottie needs to come off the bench because he was not effective, I saw mistrapping and throwing away chances, when he had a chance to dribble into the box he passed. Hes a poacher in every sense of the word.

The coaching staff should start roberts and sub on glen, john doesn't look 100% and should not have been subbed in. It is obvious when jones returns he will start, but the 2nd and 3rd option should be roberts and glen. They are the opposite of john and scottie and we need that variation upfront.

Way alyuh learn football. Scottie work really hard. He played vertically and horizontally. This kept at least 3 US defenders busy. He had little help when he got the ball and did well to hold up the ball. His work rate was great.

Stern did not replicate such work and the Coach missed when he made that sub as it gave the US defenders the opportunity to go forward. That was one of the reason the US pushed on the out of timing sub.

Scotland did well,, his early shots and deft touche, made the defender have to play behind him as they could not take the chance to cheat forward for fear that Scottie will exploit a back 2.  

I have to agree with Elan with respect to Jason Scotland's good performance.  I think scottie was very effective.  He needs to sharpen up a bit but overall he was very good and he kept the US back line under pressure.  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:30:21 AM by fatimarima »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2008, 10:31:18 AM »

I have to agree with Elan with respect to Jason Scotland's good performance.  I think scottie was very effective.  He needs to sharpen up a bit but overall he was very good and he kept the US back line under pressure.  

what game allyuh watching? the DR replay ???

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2008, 10:31:47 AM »
i find them usa commentators didnt bad talk or butcher any of we players names like foxsport does do.  I guess the good working relations they had with the ttff and shaka hislop have something to do.  they even interviewed Yorke after the game rather than an american player too.

I was surprised at how well the US commentators handled the game. They weren't overly critical of our players and team and didn't really question the refereeing decisions when it went against the US. They gave us credit where it was due and didn't completely focus on the US players alone as has been done in the past

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2008, 10:32:39 AM »
lastly..tactically, we not going to see much improvement in defense imo. Talles is the only man in that back 4 i think MUST start. I think we need a 2nd ball harrier to help Brichall. T&T needs a solid 5 man midfield, or we will struggle (imo). Big teams like Brazil, Argentina, France, Italy etc...play with 2 hustlers in the middle and a deep lying playmaker. Yorke is  a lock as the deep lying playmaker and Birchie is our Gattusso/Mascherano/Gliberto Silva. I think we also need a complimentary defensive midfielder like a De Rossi/Cambiasso/Josue.

Whitely?

Yorke, Birchie, Carlos, Keon Daniel, Talles, Ince must start. De rest of the starting lineup need a little rejiggering, if last night's performance is anything to go by.

Add Cyd, Sancho and Avery to the defense, Whitely to the middle, KJ as the striker and we good to go!

--------------Ince-------
El Cyd - Sanch---Tallest---Blade
-------Me Mum-----Gangsta
-------------Dwight-----------
--Carlos------------------Skilla
----------------KJ--------------

Dat looking like a nice side on the road...
I not sure at home when we need a win if is the best thing though.

IMO..daz about as good as it gets wit we Midknight.  If we go into a game wit dat line up & everybody healthy, I satisfied.  We could do no more.  :beermug:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2008, 10:37:12 AM »

I was surprised at how well the US commentators handled the game. They weren't overly critical of our players and team and didn't really question the refereeing decisions when it went against the US. They gave us credit where it was due and didn't completely focus on the US players alone as has been done in the past
allya sure it was yankee commentators :devil:

Serious: That is REAL good to hear.....props to ESPN :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
contact page
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 10:42:32 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2008, 10:52:25 AM »
There is a slight chance the full match will be posted on www.fbtz.com, I'll post a link here if it is.  It will probably be a torrent

Offline Montjoy

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 16, 2008, 10:55:27 AM »
Ah happy like hell and ah vex like hell because ah still trying to figure out why a man like Latapy was sitting on de bench in world cup games

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2008, 11:07:49 AM »

To people like yourself who are probably not as knowlegable about the game, it may appear that Scottie was not effective at all.  His game definitly could have been better but he was actually very effective.  He was effective because the defenders were really focused on him and that gave other players more space. He was also strong enough to hold the ball up and lay it off to other guys. His movement across the field and his willingness to close down defenders when they won possesion helped our midfield get back into position and it forced defenders to give up corner kicks.  These are the type of things that less knowlegable people don't notice and dont give credit for. However these things have a huge effect on the outcome of the game. I am also a huge fan of cornel glen, Daryl Roberts and Stern John, but it's up to the people in charge to pick the starting squad and choose the players that fit into their tactical plan.  I think Glen was injured anyway.

Offline damiangoal

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2008, 11:09:54 AM »
Birchall is we Gattuso.  De man play like ah bulldog that just get loose.  His passing into the open channels on the counter was lethal, and he really pressed the issue.  Ah hope men could see what it means to wear the national jersey: blood, sweat, and tears.
he was winnig balls in the centre and creating at the same time and by the way, YIP, YIP, YIP,AHA,AHA! :cheers: :wavetowel: :afro:

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2008, 11:28:34 AM »
lastly..tactically, we not going to see much improvement in defense imo. Talles is the only man in that back 4 i think MUST start. I think we need a 2nd ball harrier to help Brichall. T&T needs a solid 5 man midfield, or we will struggle (imo). Big teams like Brazil, Argentina, France, Italy etc...play with 2 hustlers in the middle and a deep lying playmaker. Yorke is  a lock as the deep lying playmaker and Birchie is our Gattusso/Mascherano/Gliberto Silva. I think we also need a complimentary defensive midfielder like a De Rossi/Cambiasso/Josue.

Whitely?

Yorke, Birchie, Carlos, Keon Daniel, Talles, Ince must start. De rest of the starting lineup need a little rejiggering, if last night's performance is anything to go by.

Add Cyd, Sancho and Avery to the defense, Whitely to the middle, KJ as the striker and we good to go!

IMO..daz about as good as it gets wit we Midknight.  If we go into a game wit dat line up & everybody healthy, I satisfied.  We could do no more.  :beermug:

Allyuh do realise dat is only one player on that side dat wasnt a WC 2006 player right? So in all the time since then....the only player that develop enough to make side is daniel?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline damiangoal

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 16, 2008, 11:31:09 AM »

Whitely?

Allyuh do realise dat is only one player on that side dat wasnt a WC 2006 player right? So in all the time since then....the only player that develop enough to make side is daniel?
Don,t forget Hyland! :)

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 16, 2008, 11:39:27 AM »
Tremendous result, very happy. How ridiculously solid was the trio of Edwards, Birchall and Yorkie today!
Hart for president

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2008, 11:40:46 AM »

Whitely?

Don,t forget Hyland! :)

I talking bout the lineup that listed there. In any event.....wha i trying to avoid most of all is...that after we make SA 2010 (if we do) dat we end up in the same kakhi pants like last time....the old guard unable to play for whaever reason..(most likely..given that side there...a good portion would be getting down in age)...and the young/local players eh good enuff to make de grade.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 16, 2008, 11:44:24 AM »
I find Scotland should start on the left wing, his speed strength is needed on that left.

Wha f**kin speed he ha?!!! Slow motion?  :rotfl:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2008, 11:44:33 AM »

Whitely?

If yuh willing to overlook Keyeno Thomas who admittedly has done nothing wrong to be excluded (and Sancho hasn't played a game at international level for nearly 2 years so his inclusion is based on what he used to be able to do), Keon Daniel is the only automatic pick of the young breed for me yes.  Khaleem Hyland, Makan Hislop, Clyde Leon, Marvin Phillip & Darryl Roberts are all integral members of the team as well.  Just not the starting XI at this time.  Players like Osei Telesford, Julius James, Akeil Edwards, Gyasi Joyce, are on the fringe of the team but still have gained valuable experience along the way.  Then yuh have the likes of Jamal Gay, Randi Patterson, Matthew Bartholomew, Aaron Downing, Scott Sealey, Leston Paul, Atullah Guerra, Josimar Belgrave, Akeem Adams, etc all to come for 2014.  By that time, Yorke, Latas, Tallest, Cyd, Avery, will most likely be gone from the international scene and dem fellas have to step een.

When yuh look at a team like France for example....they've been using more or less the same lineup since Euro 2000 give or take a player or two.  And yuh know dat if Zidane today were to say that he comin out of retirement, he would walk straight into de startin lineup too.  So we not doin badly in dis respect at all.  Our most dire need, as it has always been, is to have some quality defenders.  
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #114 on: October 16, 2008, 11:45:09 AM »

To people like yourself who are probably not as knowlegable about the game, it may appear that Scottie was not effective at all.  His game definitly could have been better but he was actually very effective.  He was effective because the defenders were really focused on him and that gave other players more space. He was also strong enough to hold the ball up and lay it off to other guys. His movement across the field and his willingness to close down defenders when they won possesion helped our midfield get back into position and it forced defenders to give up corner kicks.  These are the type of things that less knowlegable people don't notice and dont give credit for. However these things have a huge effect on the outcome of the game. I am also a huge fan of cornel glen, Daryl Roberts and Stern John, but it's up to the people in charge to pick the starting squad and choose the players that fit into their tactical plan.  I think Glen was injured anyway.

well with your infinite wisdom you have seemed to forget that roberts and glen also help the midfield and run back on defense, and they also create space for the midfielders, not to mention they run at defenders and create opportunities, unlike scotland and they also score on occasion, unlike scotland, not to mention they trap the ball better and can actually dribble against defenders, barring glen was injured, roberts would have been a better choice by far, especially since we now have a creative midfielder, just wanted to highlight those points to people who feel they are knowledgable about the game of football.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Player ratings: USA vs. Trinidad and Tobago
« Reply #115 on: October 16, 2008, 12:23:41 PM »
Player ratings: USA vs. Trinidad and Tobago
By Kyle McCarthy, Goal.com
25 minutes ago

AP - Oct 15, 10:59 pm EDT World Soccer Gallery Related CoverageA lackluster U.S. performance against Trinidad and Tobago Goal.com World Cup 2010 qualifying coverage Dwight Yorke’s late penalty gave Trinidad and Tobago a 2-1 victory over the United States to give the Trinis a much-needed three points in their fight for a place in CONCACAF’s final round of World Cup qualifying.

UNITED STATES

Brad Guzan: 6 – Not to blame on either of the goals and generally looked in command of his penalty area. A competent and reliable second-string keeper.

Heath Pearce: 4 – Consistently looks out of match practice and out of his depth at international level. When paired against a good player, like Carlos Edwards, Pearce often comes off second best.

Michael Orozco: 6 – Looked the more comfortable and composed of the two center backs. Did well to hack clear a dangerous rebound in the opening stages and deflect an Edwards shot in the second half. Showed enough to prove he has a future at this level, especially with his physical play.

Danny Califf: 4.5 – This isn’t the game Califf sought to distinguish himself from Orozco and the injured Jay DeMerit. Often looked a step slow and failed to anticipate the play.

Frankie Hejduk: 5 – What you see is what you get from Frankie. He’ll go out and do a competent job in the back while ineffectively trying to provide width going forward. Not a bad effort.

DaMarcus Beasley: 5 – Stand-in captain tried to influence the game early, but generally faded away. Difficult to place too much blame on him considering the ineffective play in the middle of the field.

Jose Francisco Torres: 5 – Looked the best of the four other midfielders. Generally tidy in his passing and willing to step into the passing lanes. Remains to be seen whether he is a first-team player or a fringe player going forward.

Freddy Adu: 4.5 – Ineffective in breaking down the T&T defense. Aside from a long-distance shot that went astray, Adu had little impact on the match.

Maurice Edu: 4 – Passing bordered on criminal for most of the night. For a player with defensive tenacity, Edu showed precious little of it on this evening. Needs game time at Rangers or a loan to another club.

Sacha Kljestan: 4.5 – Not impressed with his passing, either. Did well to get into the wide-right channel on occasion but his final service lacked what it needed.

Jozy Altidore: 5 – His uneven performance is why Brian Ching remains on the team. Made a great run to set up Davies’ goal, but a spurned open net and a needless penalty giveaway topped off a generally ineffective night. Not that coach Bradley or his teammates gave him much support.

Substitutes

Charlie Davies: 6 – Came on for Adu in the 69th and showed enough to make Bob Bradley want to leave Eddie Johnson in Wales for the considerable future. Scored one and should have had an assist but for Altidore’s profligacy. … Danny Szetela: no rating – Replaced Torres in 84th minute. … Chris Rolfe: no rating – Replaced Pearce in 88th minute.

TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

Clayton Ince: 6 – The keeper didn’t have much to do, but remained a calm force behind the T&T backline.

Akile Edwards: 6 – The better of the two fullbacks on the evening. Didn’t venture forward much, but didn’t make anyone forget Avery John either.

Dennis Lawrence: 6 – Sometimes rickety in his old age but generally did the job. Questions will be asked about where he was on the American goal.

Keyeno Thomas: 5 – Whiffed twice on an opportunity from a corner kick before leaving the match with an injury.

Silvio Spann: 5.5 – Looked a bit out of his depth at right back. It’s not his natural role, but he’s done well enough here to get the job done.

Keon Daniel: 4.5 – Has electric pace yet struggled to get in behind defenders. Abjectly neglected any sort of defensive duties. Again, the question has to be whether this is a good spot on the field for him.

Chris Birchall: 7 – How Birchall was ever left out of the team remains anyone’s guess. Did the things you want Michael Bradley to do in the center of the field. Held well while seizing his moments to plunge forward. Provided the impetus for the first goal.

Russell Latapy: 7 – Father Time has no mark on the 40-year-old playmaker. He fades in and out of the game now, but his first goal was well taken. Never puts a pass astray and generally found himself in the right spots.

Dwight Yorke: 6.5 – Very quiet up until scoring the winning penalty. Asked to do yeoman’s work in the middle of the park and completed the task well. Could T&T ask for a better option to take a penalty with the team’s World Cup future on the line?

Carlos Edwards: 7.5 – It’s not too much of a stretch to say Edwards has a case to be the best right winger in CONCACAF. Consistently gets in behind defenses and constantly threatens the opposition. Most players with attacking ability shirk defensive responsibility; Edwards tracked back frequently to foil Beasley. The best player on the field on this evening.

Jason Scotland: 6 – Does everything one can ask from a lone center forward. Holds the ball up well, stretches defenses by tracking down balls and competes for everything. Finishing touch wasn’t there, but a good shift.

Substitutes

Makan Hislop: 5.5 – Caught ball watching on the Americans’ goal. Otherwise, steady as she goes. &hellip: Stern John: 5 – Pretty quiet night for the Southampton striker. … Kareem Hyland: 6 – Looked active and bright at time when T&T needed his fresh legs.
Warrior For Life !!

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Re: Player ratings: USA vs. Trinidad and Tobago
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2008, 12:26:01 PM »
A lackluster U.S. performance against T&T
By Noah Davis, Goal.com
1 hour, 12 minutes ago

Getty Images - Oct 15, 11:02 pm EDT World Soccer Gallery Related CoveragePlayer ratings: USA vs. Trinidad and Tobago Goal.com World Cup 2010 qualifying coverage On a brutal pitch that felt close to 100 degrees, the U.S. national team fell 2-1 in an ugly match against Trinidad and Tobago at Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain.

Already through to CONCACAF’s final round of World Cup qualifying, the Americans didn’t need to win the game, while a result was of the utmost importance for T&T, which began in the night in a tie with Guatemala for the second and final qualifying spot in Group A.

The U.S.’s place on the table allowed Bob Bradley to play a host of youngsters – Freddy Adu and Jozy Altidore saw their first starts of the round, while second-half substitute Charlie Davies scored the Red, White, and Blue’s lone goal.

Trinidad and Tobago: In trouble

Ultimately, this game says more about T&T than it does about the U.S. Certainly, the home team put itself in position to advance to the second round, especially with Guatemala’s 2-1 loss to Cuba, but the Soca Warriors didn’t impress on their turf. Neither did the squad’s fans, who failed to fill Hasely Crawford and were almost silent for much of the first half and part of the second until Russel Latapy’s goal in the 61st minute.

Conventional wisdom states that a win is a win, but – as we’ve seen too often in the case of the United States – there’s frequently much more to a victory than simply the score. While T&T simply has to avoid losing to Cuba at home in November to advance into the Hexagonal, the team’s fate in the next round is precarious unless it improves dramatically.

ADVERTISEMENT

The future of Beasley

DaMarcus Beasley, the most capped player in the United States lineup, had a solid, if never spectacular, match. He looked dangerous at times, although seemed overmatched in a leadership position without compatriots Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey and others to help run the offense. Beas wore the captain’s armband, but Frankie Hejduk, merely a cap behind the Rangers man, earned respect with his hustle.

Furthermore, I’m not convinced DaMarcus is the solution at left back, a position he played in the latter stages of Saturday’s match against Cuba. He’s not just small, he’s tiny – Freddy Adu looked downright bulky standing next to Beas in a wall – and the United States gives up too many free kicks in dangerous positions to concede height. And yet, after the past two matches, there’s clearly a place for the midfielder on the 2010 World Cup team, just not in an obvious leadership role.

Guzan is no Howard

This isn’t a revelation, but if anyone doubted who was the American No. 1 keeper before Wednesday, those thoughts have been banished. Tim Howard’s backup from Aston Villa flubbed multiple forays by the Soca Warriors and generally looked off his game. While the first goal wasn’t Guzan’s fault, it did careen off the back of his head – after ricocheting off the post – and find its way into the net.

Trinidad and Tobago almost scored a goal early in the match after Guzan failed to punch away a free kick (why Adu and Beasley were in a two-man wall is another story), and only Michael Orozco’s correct positioning kept the game scoreless. Wednesday’s keeper will always be a serviceable No. 2 for the U.S., but that’s all he’ll be.

Jozy’s vision

Some talk before the match centered around whether Jozy Altidore could create within the context of the offense. While he scored against Cuba, it was on a semi-breakaway where he held off a defender one-on-one. But, lo and behold, Altidore showed he knows where his teammates are.

In the first half against T&T, the Villarreal striker slid a beautiful seeing-eye pass to Beasley who was in alone but, wrongly, ruled offside. Davies’ goal came on a feed from Jozy. By no means does Altidore have a complete understanding of the offense, but the kid’s only 18. Let’s give him a couple of months at least before requiring he pass the American soccer fan GRE.
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2008, 12:34:03 PM »
100 degrees ?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2008, 12:50:27 PM »
Chris Birchall: 7 – How Birchall was ever left out of the team remains anyone’s guess. Did the things you want Michael Bradley to do in the center of the field. Held well while seizing his moments to plunge forward. Provided the impetus for the first goal.

Simple.  We have a Federation dat just believe in shooting itself in de foot....is nutten...we used to it... ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 16, 2008, 12:53:47 PM »
A win is a Win...

:devil:
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

1]; } ?>