March 28, 2024, 11:30:41 PM

Author Topic: Arima put out San Juan  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Arima put out San Juan
« on: November 12, 2008, 06:38:15 AM »
Arima put out San Juan
Kern De Freitas (Trinidad & Tobago Express)

Arima Secondary Comprehensive proved that persistence does pay off when they upset San Juan Secondary Comprehensive 1-0 yesterday at the Marvin Lee Stadium in the RBTT Inter Col East Zone semi-finals.

Arima and St Augustine will meet in Saturday's East Zone final after the "Green Machine" also pulled off a 1-0 win over Toco Composite, thanks to Jevaughn Vance in the 11th minute, at the same venue in the first match of the zonal double-header.

Aaron Ballantyne gave Arima their unlikely winner in the 64th minute of a riveting contest, but perhaps in the context of the showing they put on, it may have been described as deserved.

The largely pro-San Juan crowd expected their team to run past Arima. But the "Dial Dynamos" showed they were prepared to take the fight to the Bourg Mulatresse side. In fact, but for hesitance and poor finishing, they might have been ahead before the break.

San Juan took some time to find their feet and by then Arima had had three chances. Kendes Garcia looked composed and alert for Arima and provided an ample share of problems for the opposition, including a powerful drive from distance early on. Striker Nicholas Armstrong and Ballantyne in midfield also proved difficult to keep quiet, but were unable to make their chances count.

"San Juan done know they have no gift to get from Arima," remarked a San Juan fan. "They have to work for everything they get!"

That statement proved very true in the remaining 60 minutes.

San Juan's Keston Jackie and Jamal Spencer, though, did test Arima's defence, but found as stiff resistance at the back as in midfield.

Armstrong could have put Arima ahead in the 42nd, but wasted the gift laid at his feet at the end of Hayden De Verteuil's lovely solo run. At the break, the scoreline read 0-0.

San Juan returned a more determined bunch in the second period, Jamal Spencer and Hayden John providing some nervous moments for Arima custodian Joseph Craig, who handled it all coolly.

After 64 minutes and against the run of play, San Juan found themselves a goal down and needing pure inspiration to keep them in the unforgiving Inter Col competition.

Ballantyne was played free on the left, and cleared a straight path for goal, his marker preferring to shadow rather than tackle him. An innocuous left-footed drive beat San Juan goalie Nigel Morris' dive to his right and Arima were leading 1-0.

As time wore on, a mixture of despair and frustration could be seen etched on the faces of San Juan's supporters as shot after shot went awry.

One fan, whose dreams of schools football grandeur may have died more than 30 years ago, yelled at San Juan coach Keith Jeffrey like there was no tomorrow without a win. He went from criticising Jeffrey to shouting at the players: "We ent taking no loss, yuh know, we ent taking no loss!"

Fans tried cheering and drumming to urge San Juan on, but it proved not enough and the drums drew quieter as the clock wore down.

The final whistle ensured Arima will be the ones to face St Augustine on Saturday, while San Juan's title aspirations will have to wait another year.

In the North Zone, today's Inter Col semi-final will pit St Anthony's College against Fatima College at Fatima Ground, Mucurapo Road, for the right to face Mucurapo Secondary Comprehensive in the North final on Friday.

Mucurapo edged St Mary's College 3-2 in a hard-fought encounter at the same venue yesterday to ensure their place in the National Inter Col.

Today, a South Zone winner will also be crowned when Naparima College go up against Presentation College (San Fernando) in the final from 3.30 p.m. at Manny Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella.

Yesterday's RBTT Inter Col Results:

East Zone
St Augustine 1 (Jevaughn Vance 11th) Toco 0
San Juan 0 Arima 1 (Aaron Ballantyne)

North Zone
Mucurapo 3 St Mary's 2

Today's RBTT Inter Col Fixtures:

North Zone
St Anthony's College vs Fatima College, Fatima Ground, 3.30 p.m.

South Zone
Naparima College vs Presentation College (San Fernando), Manny Ramjohn Stadium
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Arima put out San Juan
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 07:10:01 AM »
Is about time Arima become competitive again.  Good job fellas.  Now beat my old coach Mike Grayson and St. Augustine....
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 07:36:43 AM »
Is about time Arima become competitive again.  Good job fellas.  Now beat my old coach Mike Grayson and St. Augustine....
        Just want to congratulate your old team on this important victory,it seem some time you all have not been able to do this,i hope things will change from here on.
        It seems i have to check on my San Juan sources,they started off well but i observe of late things just gone downhill,like they can't upkeep the the success they had last year.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:39:08 AM »
        Just want to congratulate your old team on this important victory,it seem some time you all have not been able to do this,i hope things will change from here on.
        It seems i have to check on my San Juan sources,they started off well but i observe of late things just gone downhill,like they can't upkeep the the success they had last year.

Coops, me eh no about you but I think the way the system is setup it makes for situations like these.  Arima had a window of about a 3-4 weeks before they played a game.  That should never happen.  Ah team should not go more than 2 weeks without playing a game.  Maybe San Juan lost they rythym because they had not played in a long time since the prelimary game. 

That alone could cause a team to lose
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 08:50:20 AM »

Coops, me eh no about you but I think the way the system is setup it makes for situations like these.  Arima had a window of about a 3-4 weeks before they played a game.  That should never happen.  Ah team should not go more than 2 weeks without playing a game.  Maybe San Juan lost they rythym because they had not played in a long time since the prelimary game. 

That alone could cause a team to lose
        Sometimes i does try not to understand with what people do with this game,may be they have valid reasons for the decisions they make,one thing i can say though is that it messing up Football and not only teams/players but also the fans that go to watch the game,we have a major issue with our planning which must be resolved and that's at all levels.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 10:31:28 AM »
Yeah those long spells between games can really mess things up.  However I am very happy for Arima.  Its about time for Arima to return to good form.  Lets see what happens in the games today...is intercol, anything could happen!!

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:36:26 AM »
he use to be my coach too, when did you play for Arima? that Kendes Garcia is the brother of once Malick star boy, Fabian Garcia and meh good friend Denzil Garcia, he played for Arima with me.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 11:01:49 AM »
he use to be my coach too, when did you play for Arima? that Kendes Garcia is the brother of once Malick star boy, Fabian Garcia and meh good friend Denzil Garcia, he played for Arima with me.

I played for Arima from 88-90.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 11:23:18 AM »

Dat Arima/Gustine thing used tuh have me mixing up de two ah allyuh all de time yes...lol

Anyways enough talk about deez two shit sides... not enough talk about dat big mean Green Machine  :devil:

Offline ChipChipSilver

• 'Let the Good Times Roll'
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Do you feel like working today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 12:43:31 PM »
Sorry tuh upset allyuh Arima players/supporters but is Green Machine again  :beermug: :beermug:
In Everything, Give Thanks

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 01:42:13 PM »
Green Machine only become successful again when they got  Mike Grayson (Arima's former coach / my former coach).  So is a win win for me  :devil:   I still backin Arima strong, but I wont be mad if Gustine take it.

Offline ChipChipSilver

• 'Let the Good Times Roll'
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Do you feel like working today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 02:01:47 PM »
Green Machine only become successful again when they got  Mike Grayson (Arima's former coach / my former coach).  So is a win win for me  :devil:   I still backin Arima strong, but I wont be mad if Gustine take it.

No scene, ah jus have to go wid Gustine..  :beermug:
In Everything, Give Thanks

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 04:49:21 PM »
I saw dat comin
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>