April 19, 2024, 05:45:14 PM

Author Topic: Intensity or lack thereof  (Read 5157 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Intensity or lack thereof
« on: October 16, 2008, 12:06:29 PM »
What is it about our teams that we somehow seem incapable (save for 1 or 2 individuals...we ALL know who they are) to play with purpose, intensity, and desire from the get go.

Here we were yesterday...

A WCQ against USA

At the Hasely Crawford Stadium

All the history that accompanies that particular circumstance

For all intents and purposes, it's a must win game for us.

And what do we do?  We stroll de ball around like if is a regular match.  No real intensity, no real hustle, men playin normal (except de 2 usual suspects)

Is not jes now....this is almost always the case.  What was even funnier was I was checkin out the "C" broadcast of the game and they had Brent Sancho, Cyd Gray and Clint Marcelle in de booth fuh a pre game segment and Sancho sayin dat we need to put pressure on dem from de get go, play like is we home, and ramp up de intensity etc.....but dese is de same fellas does be strollin bout from first whistle when dey play.

The ONLY time I can remember that we (and I mean the team COLLECTIVELY) played with hustle and intensity right from the get go was against Mexico in de 2000 Gold Cup.  A game ironically where we end up losin 4-0....but funnily enough was one of our best games against them.  That was the game Ronnie Mauge (de Christopher Birchall of dat time) did break he leg.

So I jes wonderin.....what could possibly be the reason for the lack of intensity?  Touches say de US warm up professional and we warm up was ragged.  Could it be that the way we prepare is somewhat lackadaisical and it kinda difficult to jes press a "ON" switch and go full bore from de get go?  Ah mean, look at how we match Guatemala in Guatemala....especially after goin down to 10 men.  Is not like we doh have it in us.

What I do know is that failure to raise we intensity level should we make the Hex will cost us down the road.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
Re: Intensity or lack thereof
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 12:15:26 PM »
What is it about our teams that we somehow seem incapable (save for 1 or 2 individuals...we ALL know who they are) to play with purpose, intensity, and desire from the get go.

A WCQ against USA

And what do we do?  We stroll de ball around like if is a regular match.  No real intensity, no real hustle, men playin normal (except de 2 usual suspects)

Is not jes now....this is almost always the case.  What was even funnier was I was checkin out the "C" broadcast of the game and they had Brent Sancho, Cyd Gray and Clint Marcelle in de booth fuh a pre game segment and Sancho sayin dat we need to put pressure on dem from de get go, play like is we home, and ramp up de intensity etc.....but dese is de same fellas does be strollin bout from first whistle when dey play.

The ONLY time I can remember that we (and I mean the team COLLECTIVELY) played with hustle and intensity right from the get go was against Mexico in de 2000 Gold Cup.  A game ironically where we end up losin 4-0....but funnily enough was one of our best games against them.  That was the game Ronnie Mauge (de Christopher Birchall of dat time) did break he leg.

So I jes wonderin.....what could possibly be the reason for the lack of intensity?  Touches say de US warm up professional and we warm up was ragged.  Could it be that the way we prepare is somewhat lackadaisical and it kinda difficult to jes press a "ON" switch and go full bore from de get go?  Ah mean, look at how we match Guatemala in Guatemala....especially after goin down to 10 men.  Is not like we doh have it in us.

What I do know is that failure to raise we intensity level should we make the Hex will cost us down the road.

This observation is head on, many of us talk abt their lack of aggression and intensity...and although we win, which was NEEEDED, most of the guys really was strolling along. The second half was more intense, but with a match at that level the intensity is needed through out. If/when we go into the Hex, these same traits cannot be brought, for it will yield the end of the 2010 campaign. Look at Spann, his first half touches was rel sad..he gave up balls, he make half way passes...and then in de second half he rose to the occasion.

The administration need to recognize these traits, and try and get it into we players head that we eh playing for 45 minutes alone, we playing a full 90...like what Yorke said. We have de potential, but we need to strive for full capacity!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »
ask all the youth coaches in TnT...

but i would say the tempo for the USA game was what was needed...we could not afford to get too forward early..plus..dat Guatemala game take lots out of the players...of course russel and dwight more that others but...they all looked a bit tired
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 12:22:46 PM »
yeah... we took the old "rock them to sleep" approach.  no way we coulda play a high tempo with stallions like altidore and beasley on the field... we mighta get run over.  is a lucky thing bradley saved charlie davis for late on cause that youthman is pepper.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 12:28:23 PM »
I really want to congratulate the person or persons who ensured that the ground was slow against the US!!! It paid dividends for us . We wont get a slow ground away from home in because teams would have realised that we are basically a slow team but with the ability to individually run fast and that a wet field will help us.
The fast moving central americans will overrun us if we dont ramp up the intensity as Palos suggests. I think its a caribbean thing ...lackadaisical movements .....we walk slow yet talk fast ...maybe for international purposes we should reverse that.
I remember when dwight first went to Aston villa they had to work on this ..." you aren't on the beach in tobago  !
What can we do at this stage ? ..maybe that explains the heavy reliance on the overseas and overaged players.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 12:28:49 PM »
Valid points Big Mag & Fari.   :beermug:

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 12:30:26 PM »
The one thing I agreed with the Wimp was our lack of fitness and strenght (well actually he agreed with me because I watching TT football long before he and weary start to date  ;D)

However that being said it is a Caribbean malady with the exception of Jamaica (dem fellas does jus run wild no matter what)

Our coachs have to start upping the tempo of the games our youths play from early.
When I was home 2 weeks ago ah watch QRC vs Mucurapo and it was real pace but only for the men chasing the long ball , the rest of the team would strolll back or amble forward as the case may be.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 12:35:44 PM »
If playing high intensity ball is not in you...trust mih...it damn hard to bring for the solitary game.

WC06 open we eyes to the pace of the game in Europe.  Even after that episode the U-17s still come and say the same thing about the high intensity game at their WC.

I doh know if allyuh remember long time we used to be saying how we teams always rushing the ball all the time and we need to slow down...then later we realise with all the rushing, the rest of the world still playing faster than us, with much more control too.  High intensity just not part of our game.  That is why only a few of our players does make it big 'outside'.  Yuh could tell that high intensity is natural part of Birchall game.  In the first half watch Daniel nowhere to be seen when Carlos ready to whip crosses...he still trotting from the half line.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Augi

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 12:45:27 PM »
I agree that there was a lack of intensity lastnight.But could the guys have been tired after their hard fought draw against Guatemala on Saturday? Just a though

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2008, 12:47:44 PM »
if they was tired ??...not only legs but mind
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 12:48:56 PM »
Good post Palos

Yuh could probably write a book on this topic that would touch on physiology, psychology, philosophy & sociology...end of day in simple terms- yuh live and learn.

I was tellin' a man yesterday that if the entire team played with the energy of Carlos & Birchall, we would barely lose a game in this region. Smart focussed energy that is- not just being wild....  A collective team energy is a big percentage of what makes the U.S. a dominant force in our region.  I complained about a warm up match against the DR saying that if that's the kind of opposition that we choose to face in preparation for competitive games, then we will never learn to play at the tempo of a real first class international match.....and ah get dismissed....  I think that's what it comes down to- learning to play as a team in high intensity situations- training the brain to make quick decisions, being able to stay focussed in the midst of a high energy game- making the correct runs, closing down the opposition....If yuh best warm up game is against inferior or equal opposition, it will never happen.  

I think Beenie did a good job at preparing the team to up the tempo when needed by holding very high intensity training sessions- not sure if Maturana is following suit.  We were also fortunate under Beenie to get warm up games against European opposition in the weeks leading up to the tournament and it paid dividends 2 Summers ago....It's like anything else- to learn it, you have to live it.  
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2008, 12:52:25 PM »
Is years of small goal ingrained into we pysche....when yuh lost the ball is no scene a man go be back there covering for yuh.

Is a mental thing, a psychological thing and a personality thing.

It ent nuttin a good dose of "bench" cyar cure.

But we will overlook their lazy ways at times because.

a) nobody else could play they position

b) they scoring

c) they could beat

d) they have contract coming up and need caps

e) they are the coaches step chile.

f) they playing for a big club in foreign

Carlos does play sometimes like he ent even trying...yet last night we see how good he could track back and fly up and down the wing...like Sweden game.

I find both Daniel and Hyland are two joggers, but they have skill ent?....men does be right there, just chook a toe.

Men may say otherwise but a star boy who was converted under Beenie was Whitley....He had the mindset that he is the best and he doing it. Look how good a player he has become and he is the engine when he is on the field. It sad he has not returned. He is the closest thing to Me Mum we have, especially under Pacho.

I find Avery and Cyd does play with intensity....just they does move duncy from time to time.

Roberts and Wolfe are two more fighters...intensity and hustle.

Yuh know what it is...those who blessed with talent and tings come easy to them, does play the arse more.

Watch it good!

The labourers on the field, or those with less craft are the ones who make up for it in hustle.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 12:55:01 PM »
if yuh want intensity, come home for carnival and play with tribe or island people, you will see the intensity dem footballers have when they with a woman ;D

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 12:58:10 PM »
great point...yuh know what does drive this point home? dis is the 2nd time ah do this recently...watch ah european WC qualifier after watching de SocaWarriors play, whay! Night and Day!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 12:59:27 PM »
i think iz more composure than lack of intensity
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2008, 01:03:03 PM »
I agree with Palos 100%.  I think that lack of intensity is a cultural trait.  Is de same reason why our home crowd is de least intimidating in concacaf.  No team feels any kind of intimidation playing in T&T.  I think this is something we need to address from youth level.  The first thing coaches need to do is raise the level of intensity in training.  The clubs need to do the same thing then it will carry over to the national team.

In reference to last night's game the team looked exactly how I expected them to look.  As I mentioned in a post before last night's game, playing with ten men for over 60 minutes on the road against Guatemala had to be mentally and physically taxing on our players especially the older ones.  That is where the home crowd comes in.  The crowd is supposed to give the players a lift but our comatosed crowd does only want to make noise when we winning.  When the team needs a boost the crowd does just sit in silence.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2008, 01:10:36 PM »
I agree with Palos 100%.  I think that lack of intensity is a cultural trait.  Is de same reason why our home crowd is de least intimidating in concacaf.  No team feels any kind of intimidation playing in T&T.  I think this is something we need to address from youth level.  The first thing coaches need to do is raise the level of intensity in training.  The clubs need to do the same thing then it will carry over to the national team.

In reference to last night's game the team looked exactly how I expected them to look.  As I mentioned in a post before last night's game, playing with ten men for over 60 minutes on the road against Guatemala had to be mentally and physically taxing on our players especially the older ones.  That is where the home crowd comes in.  The crowd is supposed to give the players a lift but our comatosed crowd does only want to make noise when we winning.  When the team needs a boost the crowd does just sit in silence.

Agreeed!!!! :beermug: :beermug:
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2008, 01:11:18 PM »

A WCQ against USA

Guy's i thought i was the only one seeing that...but not only intensity but movement off the ball and supporting...is that our nature to lay-back...growing up in Trinidad playing football they never teach us  to be more intensive or hustle on the ball...and playing like that to much they consider you a wild man went in other country in europe and central and north america that what they want from a player and I don't know why coached in Trinidad and Tobago don't train the youth to play with  high intensity, hustle, play with out ball and support on a more consistant based

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2008, 01:20:50 PM »

Composure is a good thing.

Except.....today's game is played at a high pace in general.  Less time on the ball, yuh have to make yuh decisions quicker, yuh control have to be practically INSTANT.  If yuh not up to scratch in dem areas, yuh lorse before yuh take de pitch.

Composure is excellent to have.  But yuh also have to step up yuh game.  Yuh cyah go flat out full bore fuh 90 minutes etc....but yuh pick yuh spots.  A team like Arsenal for example will play a high tempo, fast touch game...but will "rest" in between.  That "rest" takes the form of possession.  They will pass up to the opposing penalty area, wheel, and pass all de way back to the central defenders or goalie if needed and come again.  This gives time for players to recover while still in the game.

I eh sayin we anywhere close to dat level, but we could aspire and to aspire to get dey, yuh have to perspire.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
Brethren Brethren Palos. Is thee coaches fault when a "team" come out like that and he ent screaming to thee top of he lungs about to fall out like me screaming at my TV at home while looking at them boys over the years. As a coach you have to get your team ready to play with intensity or passion. If yuh have ah lackadaisical mood during practice, like does see the training going at times at times, then you'll play jus like then with you get in ah real game. I thought it was jes me seeing they lack of effort. :-\
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »
Who more laid back than ah Trini earthquake/hurricane we doh sweat so dem players is Trini u c d difference in d way we warm up we are laid back peeps
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2008, 01:44:22 PM »

composure and intensity are not mutually exclusive.

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2008, 01:47:44 PM »
Alyuh ent see right after we score thee frist goal how man eyes open and they start to play...like is ah bull pesil pass.  ;D
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2008, 03:28:38 PM »

Yuh know what it is...those who blessed with talent and tings come easy to them, does play the arse more.

Watch it good!

The labourers on the field, or those with less craft are the ones who make up for it in hustle.

In every aspect of life......

Més que un club.

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2008, 03:50:43 PM »
Fellas need tuh ask Birchy wat is his motivation tuh run like ah mad man fuh 90+ minutes

Offline kaisocagoals

• Supportin' T&T Football,... raise yuh head!... let the ball do the running!
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2008, 04:44:11 PM »
it has to start from young... but that said though, we also need to work on retaining possession... for us our natural brand should be to retain as much posession as is humanly possible by not giving the ball away... too many times last night I see where men (okay okay tiredness is a factor) but too many second balls run loose...

my point is that, by retaining possession, and building slowly, defending and shielding the ball, with a man close in support and atacking in 2s and 3s is the only way with the occasional long ball, long ball in between for the counter or quick break... but to slow the game down to our natural tempo knocking it about and forward, and then, up the tempo once inside the opponent's final 1/3...

we have the creativity to play a short passing game... a slow, "make a yard" and pass sort of football where not much running but rather timing and skill could be key...

A squad, yuh know... everybody slowly building and moving forward...

as opposed to a team of players who are performing traditional roles and not really impressing but winning...

already too much man get pong about their performance last night, and now it centers around intensity...

we worked hard last night, focused when it mattered, and got 70 mins out of The King... Dwight play a full 90... and we get the points...

but going forward for T&T Football... I think we could develop a brand around our natural style and intensty levels...

2-1! yes! well done T&T!
a minute in football is a very long time...

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2008, 06:07:05 PM »
could it be that our footballers are just not intelligent enough?

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2008, 06:11:19 PM »
if yuh want intensity, come home for carnival and play with tribe or island people, you will see the intensity dem footballers have when they with TWO woman ;D
:D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008, 06:13:36 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2008, 06:12:52 PM »
could it be that our footballers are just not intelligent enough?
are you saying that the football system in TnT does not Educate our players to fully utilise their abilities on the field?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Agent Jack Bauer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2008, 06:19:14 PM »
ahm not drunk so haul allyuh  :rotfl: .........but seriously.......discipline is a serious ting........and I am inclined tuh agree wit other posters in dat it might be a cultural thing (ahm not white so haul allyuh  :rotfl:) some ah allyuh might know of the shitty attitude that plagues T&T in private and government establishments.................I believe that some of our local based players have that discipline and focus needed to be professional athletes.......others learn it from earning their bread and butter abroad.........but then again maybe their is an X-factor......d phocking coach dont know how to motivate the players that need tuh be motivated

1]; } ?>