April 20, 2024, 12:51:59 AM

Author Topic: Fatima upset 'Compre' in SSFL  (Read 2157 times)

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fatima upset 'Compre' in SSFL
« on: September 12, 2005, 08:10:39 PM »
Fatima upset 'Compre' in SSFL

Kern De Freitas

Tuesday, September 13th 2005

If the first half of the 2005 BG T&T Secondary Schools Football League contest between Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive and Fatima College gave any indication what the score should have been after 90 minutes, "Compre" should have won the battle of Mucurapo Road.

Apparently, no one told Fatima College, because they seemed to have kept their 2004 manual.

One year ago, Mucurapo had got off to a flying start, before their neighbours upstaged them at Fatima ground on second half goals by Chad De Freitas and Stephen St Louis, overturning a 1-0 halftime deficit.

And again yesterday, Fatima pulled off the unthinkable. This time the unlikely heroes of the day were defenders Sheldon Bateau and Marvin James.

The game began on even terms, with both teams having their tries at goal in the opening minutes in a battle of the North Zone leaders. But in the opening 30 minutes, it was a case of attack and counter-attack.

Mucurapo, though, would gain the ascendency in midfield, and although they had some sticky moments, they were first to capitalise on one of their several opportunities. Midfielder Atullah Guerra chested down a throw-in and blasted past Fatima custodian Adrian Foncette for a 1-0 lead.

But Fatima must have had some extra tenacity stored in their dressing room at half time, because they certainly stepped up their game in the second period. But although their passing in midfield improved, the long balls for forwards Chad De Freitas and Makesi Lewis were not very effective enough to trouble the taller Mucurapo defenders.

But just as Mucurapo began to relax and appeared to be closing in on their second win of the season, Bateau found the answer in the 74th minute with a fantastic long range effort from the right flank that floated above "Compre" 'keeper Denzil Carabon, hit the inside of the post, and then the net.

James sealed it in the 78th minute, knocking home after a defender headed an initial shot off the goal line. That sparked a roar from the Fatima fans who had kept their emotions in check before then. A late fight for a Mucurapo equaliser was not to be, as the Fatima defence held some dangerous attempts out to claim victory.

In another North Zone match, Malick Senior Comprehensive repeated their 2004 second round League performance against St Anthony's College, when a final minute goal--just as last year--earned them a 1-1 draw at the 'Tigers' Westmoorings lair.

Keron Ross was Malick's star on the afternoon, cancelling a Micah Lewis first-half strike just before the final whistle.

And Qian Grovesnor had a double for St Mary's College, who also had the benefit of an own goal to earn a 4-0 victory over Tranquility Government Secondary at St Mary's Serpentine Road ground in their first match of the season.

Today, Tobago will see its first set of matches in the competition, as Roxborough Composite takin on Elizabeth's College in the opener of a double-header at the Dwight Yorke Stadium from 3 p.m. Then arch-rivals Signal Hill and Scarborough do battle from 5 p.m.

The fifth team from the Tobago Zone, Bishop's High School, are on bye.

Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: Fatima upset 'Compre' in SSFL
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 08:29:16 PM »
I went the game for a 20 min.

I saw the first goal walking in tru the gate.......Guerra the under 20 stand out get a ball shift past two men and fire a lugers.

But I left a lil after as I had my own sweat to attend.

On the positive side Fatima install some yellow stadium chairs in the pavilion.

But crowd was kinda sparse.......long time the entire periphery of the field was occupied 4-5 people deep.
Now they have just a few students behind the bench.

No smallies walking round the field like they wukkin taxi, no vociferous parents in the stands, no vendors.

No setta form ones and twos lining the field..Imagine the Eastern side of the field reserved for visitors to get the Sun in dey eye had some Fatima students  milling around. Like nobody show them the territory.

But for the Fatima men..Mr and Mrs Reggie still they fightin the good fight...I buy a plum chow on the way out.

Also the std of play real gone down. For the 1/2 hr I see ball just bubblin up, few passes or knocks, just long ball hoff down the wing from both teams.

I sorry I didnt see the goals but Fatima had a winger in some red boots.....a indiany/dougla fella who was whippin in some nice crosses.

All the Fatima players were tall and imposing look like a good athletic bunch.

Compre had Guerra in the middle and a nippy left winger who had a tool box but he collect some blade.

I didnt see Gally but I see three technical staff men in hat and uniform, also they were positioned on the field giving instructions ......one of which was....When he Lash yuh make sure and fall down!

KIX.

I cyar make Wed game but I hope Fatima put some goal on the Fairies.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 09:52:14 PM »
very entertaining read, as i have been longing for those days the most. Stormin the stadium to watch intercol matches.  watching ALL the intercol matches with SC.  them was the days.
the best part was this though

But for the Fatima men..Mr and Mrs Reggie still they fightin the good fight...I buy a plum chow on the way out.

:rotfl:

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 10:55:31 PM »
As Spalksman does say  " WHAAAAAT !!!" :notworthy: Fatima beat compre !
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 04:51:41 AM »
Gally is no longer the TD at Fatima.

He attended a few practices and then left.

I was told this was after a chat with the school principal.

Dk the real reason though.

Peace,
VB

VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 06:37:34 AM »
F-A-T-I-M-A GO FATIMA GO!!!!!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 06:41:25 AM »

Wha bout Reggie paint his car with a paint brush..........
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 07:34:20 AM »
like fatima for real well done.  2-0 now next is the super classico, the grandaddy of them all vs CIC.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 07:39:27 AM »
Kicker

Reggie ent have the white station wagon no more...he upgrade to a foreign used someting.

Also he move to a new spot, he have a nice tent and in the real estate area where TACO Woman used to be!

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 08:03:13 AM »
very entertaining read, as i have been longing for those days the most. Stormin the stadium to watch intercol matches.  watching ALL the intercol matches with SC.  them was the days.
the best part was this though

:rotfl:

Yes.... mus big up Reg... and de wife....!!!
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 08:39:45 AM »
Kicker

Reggie ent have the white station wagon no more...he upgrade to a foreign used someting.

Also he move to a new spot, he have a nice tent and in the real estate area where TACO Woman used to be!

so Skinner parents finally wrap up the Taco stand and move on? ah wonder if dey took it outside FIU while he was running over there?

boy reggie still out there? yuh figure if the man out there that long Fatima should allow him to put up a more permanent structure, or at least give him a corner in the cafeteria.

1]; } ?>