March 29, 2024, 02:16:55 AM

Author Topic: With Corneal in the Picture, we will never see a Full Strength T&T outfit  (Read 5818 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Being new to the board and being a lurker for several years I've noticed that many posters tend to forget that anton corneal is at the head of the selection of the team, with the blessings of jw. It is because of him, players like pacheco, noray, tinto,guerra, sancho, dwarika,theobald, jemmott, josh johnson and many others who are not in his biased list, can't see a national call up. Under Wim many players got a chance for the digicel, he may not have been a great coach in terms of giving the locals a fair assesment, or boosting their self esteem but he picked better teams locally and gave many locals a chance, under corneal, he picks players who he favours, which more than often is not based on skill or talent, but on who he likes personally.

We as supporters then blame maturana who is not even responsible for the selection of the team, nobody has asked the question as to whether maturana has ever attended a local pfl match or super league match, maybe I'm wrong but I have never read about it. He really doesn't need to because Corneal picks the team and knows what he wants, not what is best for T&T football.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:34:36 AM by Controversial »

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
i have seen Maturana in pro league games now and then on tv
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I personally...never like cornmeal and his father...SUCK as coached....and cornmeal still part of T&T staff

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

which games? because i find it hard to believe a national coach is here and there, which is clear corneal is selecting the team because corneal knows the local players.

Offline kaisocagoals

• Supportin' T&T Football,... raise yuh head!... let the ball do the running!
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
a minute in football is a very long time...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise

which games? because i find it hard to believe a national coach is here and there, which is clear corneal is selecting the team because corneal knows the local players.
Wim  was a virtual fixture at Pro League matches.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
Being new to the board and being a lurker for several years I've noticed that many posters tend to forget that anton corneal is at the head of the selection of the team, with the blessings of jw. It is because of him, players like pacheco, noray, tinto, sancho, dwarika,theobald, jemmott, josh johnson and many others who are not in his biased list, can't see a national call up. Under Wim many players got a chance for the digicel, he may not have been a great coach in terms of giving the locals a fair assesment, or boosting their self esteem but he picked better teams locally and gave many locals a chance, under corneal, he picks players who he favours, which more than often is not based on skill or talent, but on who he likes personally.

We as supporters then blame maturana who is not even responsible for the selection of the team, nobody has asked the question as to whether maturana has ever attended a local pfl match or super league match, maybe I'm wrong but I have never read about it. He really doesn't need to because Corneal picks the team and knows what he wants, not what is best for T&T football.

conTroversIal, welcome to the board. that last line seem to sum it up. if corneal has become indispensable (like jack), then sadly the players have to follow suit. what setup you have in mind where players could be selected without "bias"?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Being new to the board and being a lurker for several years I've noticed that many posters tend to forget that anton corneal is at the head of the selection of the team, with the blessings of jw. It is because of him, players like pacheco, noray, tinto, sancho, dwarika,theobald, jemmott, josh johnson and many others who are not in his biased list, can't see a national call up. Under Wim many players got a chance for the digicel, he may not have been a great coach in terms of giving the locals a fair assesment, or boosting their self esteem but he picked better teams locally and gave many locals a chance, under corneal, he picks players who he favours, which more than often is not based on skill or talent, but on who he likes personally.

conTroversIal, welcome to the board. that last line seem to sum it up. if corneal has become indispensable (like jack), then sadly the players have to follow suit. what setup you have in mind where players could be selected without "bias"?

change the assistant coach, its as simple as that, when wim was in charge, corneal had to take a back seat, only with regards to the blacklist of the foreign based, was the only time wim's selection power was diminished. Otherwise, it is clear that a neutral party who takes interest in the local game will see the best players, wim did this, thats why the players mentioned above got a chance, even the likes of errol mcfarlane was also given a shot at the forward position.

Im not saying wim was the ideal coach or instilled confidence in the local players but at least he picked the best available, we reached the digicel final with a weak backline and forward line, the midfield was the only plus, but now we can't even see those players on the national team, namely because corneal's power has been strengthened.

I remember lisana liburd, keith smith and many others highlighting the play of the midfield during the last digicel cup and theat if the blacklist were to end, with the best local based, we would have a very strong squad, up to now, i haven't seen the strongest side stand up, corneal has made them sit down or get out.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 10:44:53 AM by Controversial »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
tell dem Jah Gol
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile

You eh fraid yuh get cuss.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: With Corneal in the Picture, we will never see a Full Strength T&T outfit
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 11:53:15 AM »
mat does be in pro league games

the last one i went was cali vs jablo and he stay whole game
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 12:10:42 PM »
mat does be in pro league games

the last one i went was cali vs jablo and he stay whole game

weary soon cuss yuh.. 8)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 12:23:14 PM »
I call dumbtist does me dey becaise Me and meh man went nuff games I even took him 2 d intercol final in 06 2 c San Juan beat Fatima
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »

change the assistant coach, its as simple as that, when wim was in charge, corneal had to take a back seat, only with regards to the blacklist of the foreign based, was the only time wim's selection power was diminished. Otherwise, it is clear that a neutral party who takes interest in the local game will see the best players, wim did this, thats why the players mentioned above got a chance, even the likes of errol mcfarlane was also given a shot at the forward position.

Im not saying wim was the ideal coach or instilled confidence in the local players but at least he picked the best available, we reached the digicel final with a weak backline and forward line, the midfield was the only plus, but now we can't even see those players on the national team, namely because corneal's power has been strengthened.

I remember lisana liburd, keith smith and many others highlighting the play of the midfield during the last digicel cup and theat if the blacklist were to end, with the best local based, we would have a very strong squad, up to now, i haven't seen the strongest side stand up, corneal has made them sit down or get out.

Which digicel was this???? Could you list the team??

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 02:22:59 PM »
Last yrs Digicel Final when we lost 2 Haiti
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 02:32:57 PM »
I've have been trying to understand the heading, and as such was wondering who we will list as our best 18 for the Hex? No blacklist, no bad mind pick, just every BEST player available for pick.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 02:46:54 PM »
Controversial

That digicel team was not that bad for a mostly local squad. I remember Scott Sealy came, played the first match and then none after. K Baptiste and he yellow boots only want to beat. Tinto played alright 
Theobald tried to play the Yorke roleHardest play alright.Glasgow throw way too many goals in that tournament.

What I remember most is Daryl tho. Played well every time he was on the field. So I would like to know why you said a weak forward line??? The forward line was not the best, but it wasn't "weak".

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 07:44:45 PM »
Dat Digi team started 2 show lil form then whap I ended in a long distance relationship because d technical director was assulted.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 05:50:26 AM »

Gary Glasgow was the main striker for that team.
I was telling everybody who wanted to listen that the team would not get past Haiti from early on primarily because I saw Haiti U21 destroy the U21 squad in the Larry Gomes.

All this bull shyte talk about Anton and allyuh forgetting he was Wim assistant also.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 07:52:44 AM »
Controversial

That digicel team was not that bad for a mostly local squad. I remember Scott Sealy came, played the first match and then none after. K Baptiste and he yellow boots only want to beat. Tinto played alright 
Theobald tried to play the Yorke roleHardest play alright.Glasgow throw way too many goals in that tournament.

What I remember most is Daryl tho. Played well every time he was on the field. So I would like to know why you said a weak forward line??? The forward line was not the best, but it wasn't "weak".

i understand your point of view but glasgow and sealy were not up to par, roberts shined and with only one striker, it was a weak forward line, our midfield had the two backbones, theobald and jemmott, our defense was the main reason for the loss in the final.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 08:32:40 AM »
Being new to the board and being a lurker for several years I've noticed that many posters tend to forget that anton corneal is at the head of the selection of the team, with the blessings of jw. It is because of him, players like pacheco, noray, tinto,guerra, sancho, dwarika,theobald, jemmott, josh johnson and many others who are not in his biased list, can't see a national call up. Under Wim many players got a chance for the digicel, he may not have been a great coach in terms of giving the locals a fair assesment, or boosting their self esteem but he picked better teams locally and gave many locals a chance, under corneal, he picks players who he favours, which more than often is not based on skill or talent, but on who he likes personally.

I wonder if you have come up with these points on your own or you have just joined up with the " young sweats " on dis forum ? Quick question ..have you been to any pro league games yourself ? ..only adsking this because you seem to know who the coach should pick ?
You should read some comments on " Wim " ..... before you look to compare anybody to him ! Read also what he said about the local players and get old newspapers and read about his selection policy ..local players had little chance ...was bring back de foreign based and add two or three locals and dais it. It was also not his job to improve locals...these are just some of the things you will discover if you just dig a little deeper.
On the second point ... which of the players can you name that have not had a chance under " Corneal and maturana ? far as i can see all of the ones you have so far named have had their cahnce to prove themselves. matura must also be looking at the bigger picture from now on. When he was giving opportunity to all and sundry men was complaining dat he screening for far too long.
Seems maturana cant win in trinidad only lose ... he picked local players , gave them a chance in International games...people complained that he was not picking the best players. he brought back the foeign based and mixed them with the locals who have proved themselves ...he still kyah win ( although the team is winning )
Fot the first time in a world cup game T&T beat the USA ...dat still eh good enough.
If we did lorse to dat same team I woulda be the first to say he should go ..but he won ...more criticism..but like folks eh realise dat Maturana could only pick his team ...like some ah dem want him to pick the USA team TOO !! So he getting blame because the USA eh start wid de first team ..
I go really go wid maestro ( you know him right ) ..." trinidadians eh really know what dey want "

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 08:47:55 AM »

I was telling everybody who wanted to listen that the team would not get past Haiti from early on primarily because I saw Haiti U21 destroy the U21 squad in the Larry Gomes.

All this bull shyte talk about Anton and allyuh forgetting he was Wim assistant also.

but fishs.. We beat Haiti in the group stage 2-1 0r 3-1 or something like that.. That is when they put scott to sitdown..

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 08:57:47 AM »

I wonder if you have come up with these points on your own or you have just joined up with the " young sweats " on dis forum ? Quick question ..have you been to any pro league games yourself ? ..only adsking this because you seem to know who the coach should pick ?
You should read some comments on " Wim " ..... before you look to compare anybody to him ! Read also what he said about the local players and get old newspapers and read about his selection policy ..local players had little chance ...was bring back de foreign based and add two or three locals and dais it. It was also not his job to improve locals...these are just some of the things you will discover if you just dig a little deeper.
On the second point ... which of the players can you name that have not had a chance under " Corneal and maturana ? far as i can see all of the ones you have so far named have had their cahnce to prove themselves. matura must also be looking at the bigger picture from now on. When he was giving opportunity to all and sundry men was complaining dat he screening for far too long.
Seems maturana cant win in trinidad only lose ... he picked local players , gave them a chance in International games...people complained that he was not picking the best players. he brought back the foeign based and mixed them with the locals who have proved themselves ...he still kyah win ( although the team is winning )
Fot the first time in a world cup game T&T beat the USA ...dat still eh good enough.
If we did lorse to dat same team I woulda be the first to say he should go ..but he won ...more criticism..but like folks eh realise dat Maturana could only pick his team ...like some ah dem want him to pick the USA team TOO !! So he getting blame because the USA eh start wid de first team ..
I go really go wid maestro ( you know him right ) ..." trinidadians eh really know what dey want "
         :applause: :applause: :applause: EX...CEL...LENT  :beermug: :beermug: good going guys i'm really enjoying the forum these days,it's better from the outside looking in.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 09:15:22 AM »

to answer your questions in a non insultive way, yes i have been to many pro league games and watched them also when they were available to be watched via the pro league website. In regards to wim, I stated he did not boost the local players confidence, nor did he help them develop, i am in full agreement with you, however he picked the best local outfit to play, he had a better eye for selecting the BEST local players, unlike corneal, his selection is based on personal bias, it is obvious not only from who is left out but also from many others around local football, who have just watched the selection process being undertaken. I have no quams with maturana, in fact the title of my thread focuses on corneal, not maturana, so I dont know why you would accuse me of dogging maturana when it is actually corneal's doing. Furthermore, the best locals have still not been selected and included with the foreign based. You lost the entire point of the thread, its not a problem with selecting the local based but its which local based is being selected and when it comes to corneal, the best wont be selected, which has nothing to do with maturana.

Maturana has been reported to be at a few games, however this was just a mere fulfillment of the contract, the fact still remains that wim was there more often regardless of his blatent disrespect towards the locals skills, which was uncalled for and downright rediculous, however he still managed to pick the best local team without bias. I cannot say the same for corneal, maturana is looking like the pappyshow while corneal is being sheltered from his wrongdoing from the public eye. If corneal was not there, the locals i have mentioned above would still be on the team or at least be given the chance for trials with the foreign based, to have a stronger unit.

in a nutshell, maturana is not selecting the team, its corneal, plain and simple, thats the reason we havent seen our strongest squad as yet.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:24:46 AM by Controversial »

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 10:13:41 AM »

to answer your questions in a non insultive way, yes i have been to many pro league games and watched them also when they were available to be watched via the pro league website. In regards to wim, I stated he did not boost the local players confidence, nor did he help them develop, i am in full agreement with you, however he picked the best local outfit to play, he had a better eye for selecting the BEST local players, unlike corneal, his selection is based on personal bias, it is obvious not only from who is left out but also from many others around local football, who have just watched the selection process being undertaken. I have no quams with maturana, in fact the title of my thread focuses on corneal, not maturana, so I dont know why you would accuse me of dogging maturana when it is actually corneal's doing. Furthermore, the best locals have still not been selected and included with the foreign based. You lost the entire point of the thread, its not a problem with selecting the local based but its which local based is being selected and when it comes to corneal, the best wont be selected, which has nothing to do with maturana.

Maturana has been reported to be at a few games, however this was just a mere fulfillment of the contract, the fact still remains that wim was there more often regardless of his blatent disrespect towards the locals skills, which was uncalled for and downright rediculous, however he still managed to pick the best local team without bias. I cannot say the same for corneal, maturana is looking like the pappyshow while corneal is being sheltered from his wrongdoing from the public eye. If corneal was not there, the locals i have mentioned above would still be on the team or at least be given the chance for trials with the foreign based, to have a stronger unit.

in a nutshell, maturana is not selecting the team, its corneal, plain and simple, thats the reason we havent seen our strongest squad as yet.

Our strongest squad is therefore ......
You realise of course that no sooner you say who you think should play someone else would disagree.
Team selection is a subjective thing .... it is up to the coach ..his neck is on the line . It is like Frank said ...I did it my way !
If you succeed you stay if you fail you go either voluntarily or otherwise. There is no formula for a coach to follow. If you are the coach you follow your instincts..for example are you aware of any personal greviances among players ? Are you aware if the chemistry between certain players upset the team ? it is not only a matter of picking who you think are the best players but rather selecting the best players who can play together.
Some of the best players on a team may play in the same positions would you play them all at the same time ? folks have been calling for the inclusion of Scotty ...give Scotty a chance !! when Scotty is on de team others say pick Glen, some say bring back Stern ...when Kenwyn jones returns ....what happens then ?  I guess if the coach wanted to be popular he would pick all ah dem right ?
Well you cant separate Maturana from Corneal. Corneal is part of maturana's team. I am sure, if you go to see local games , you will see them watching the games together. If they fail they all fail.
I cant agree with all dis negative talk ....we will never be satisfied regardless who plays or even if we succeed in getting to the WC but al least let us be fair.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 10:19:49 AM »

but fishs.. We beat Haiti in the group stage 2-1 0r 3-1 or something like that.. That is when they put scott to sitdown..

Yuh sure about that ? I watched all the TT games, definitely have stop drinking all that gazool before ah watch football.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2008, 12:39:33 PM »

Our strongest squad is therefore ......
You realise of course that no sooner you say who you think should play someone else would disagree.
Team selection is a subjective thing .... it is up to the coach ..his neck is on the line . It is like Frank said ...I did it my way !
If you succeed you stay if you fail you go either voluntarily or otherwise. There is no formula for a coach to follow. If you are the coach you follow your instincts..for example are you aware of any personal greviances among players ? Are you aware if the chemistry between certain players upset the team ? it is not only a matter of picking who you think are the best players but rather selecting the best players who can play together.
Some of the best players on a team may play in the same positions would you play them all at the same time ? folks have been calling for the inclusion of Scotty ...give Scotty a chance !! when Scotty is on de team others say pick Glen, some say bring back Stern ...when Kenwyn jones returns ....what happens then ?  I guess if the coach wanted to be popular he would pick all ah dem right ?
Well you cant separate Maturana from Corneal. Corneal is part of maturana's team. I am sure, if you go to see local games , you will see them watching the games together. If they fail they all fail.
I cant agree with all dis negative talk ....we will never be satisfied regardless who plays or even if we succeed in getting to the WC but al least let us be fair.

there is the scenario where certain players are needed because it will make the team better, players known to play well in a team setting and will excel because of whether their creativity or intelligence combined with their skill. I am not condemning corneal nor the coaching staff but you can see there is obvious positions which need strengthening.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2008, 01:14:45 PM »
Well then name those players of whom you speak that are being or have been excluded because of Corneal.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2008, 01:19:36 PM »

Yuh sure about that ? I watched all the TT games, definitely have stop drinking all that gazool before ah watch football.

yeah we mash up haiti in the group stage game 3. cyah verify dat is when Scott get benched. They brought the highlights on Fox Sports..it was nice.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2008, 01:20:21 PM »
truth is..someone will always be dissatisfied with the national team coach selection.

1]; } ?>