March 29, 2024, 08:38:33 AM

Poll

John D; Sando Tech.  Should they be let into the colleges league again?

Yes
20 (76.9%)
No
6 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Should the Technical Schools be allowed into Secondary Schools football again?  (Read 5725 times)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I have given it some thought, stand by all I said before, and what Palos states. Let the football aspect be handled by the clubs. Let the schools develop education.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
I think the question in the title of the thread is misleading.  No offence to the poster.

The question may very well be.....in this day and age, should we be concentrating on creating, developing and implementing a professional environment for our young footballers?

Because this is what is required to just be COMPETITIVE in TODAY's football.

That is...if you want to take football SERIOUSLY.

A school or college as it is currently set up has it's main priority the development of young people ACADEMICALLY and that is how it should be.

In today's football....the PRIORITY is to develop players for a professional career in the game.

We already have PFL teams that have Under 20, Under 17, Under 15 and Under 12 teams.  They have that professional environment or at least aspire to it.

Our young players who aspire to a further career in football should be steered therefore in that direction.  What is needed is for those clubs to work together with the learning institutions to provide academic instruction.  But the PRIORITY in this case would be FOOTBALL....NOT Academics.

Not EVERYONE will become an elite, professional footballer.  But the environment in and of itself will help to instill the best characteristics of sport i.e. health, discipline, respect, determination, teamwork, triumph over adversity etc.  This of course depend on the coaches aka TEACHERS at the various professional clubs.

Just my opinion

very very good points! A working relationship will be the answer, simply because the schools have the facilities and if worked correctly you can marry the two.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bring dem back
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2005, 11:52:15 AM »
Here is an excerpt from de article Clash of the Giants: John D/Mucurapo Class of '78 reunion dat argues in favour of bringing back de Technical schools.

But while Mucurapo are still among the elite of schools football, the John D golden era turned to brass as long ago as 1986 when the post-secondary, Technical Institutes were voted out of the schools league, because it was claimed, they held an unfair advantage.

For Cumberbatch and company, it's an injustice that has persisted for too long.

"We have been bombarded over the years by a lot of the players and friends of the teams to do something like this," Cumberbatch says.

"It has always been a sore point with many of us, with the Technical Institutes being excluded from the Colleges League and we believe that minimised the pool that the national team could have used to select players.

"You talking about the Alan Andersons, Clayton Morrises, Russell Latapys, Leonson Lewis; players like these have used that stage-the Technical Institutes-to really advance and look what they have contributed to the nation!"

Greene shares the John D view.

"We recognise the long-term effect of not having the younger players reach their full potential," he says. "We think stopping somebody playing football at 17 years from the era of the Colleges football is wasted talent. We think that something like this could bring to the realisation of the powers that be in the Colleges football fraternity and even the national fraternity to let the younger ones stay the extra year or two to develop themselves so that you could see them a bit more and look at their potential."

Cumberbatch contends that, "players who play soccer only actually fully mature between the age of 17 and 19. So Technical institutes are a necessity as far as I am concerned in the development of soccer in the country."

Few feel more passionately about the subject than Morris.

A qualified John D graduate and one of his country's most respected players ever, Morris is living testimony to Cumberbatch's argument.

Emphatically Morris says, two years can make a big difference in the progress of a young player. Especially when it comes to bridging the gap between junior and senior football.

"If you look at our present national team, we solely depending on the foreign-based players and that shouldn't be. We should be able to have players here falling into the national team and maintaining that level."

He uses self-reference to strengthen his case.

'If you look at the national team, you can't identify somebody to play a sweeper up to now. I retire since '92 and up to now, you can't say that player is a sweeper, or this man is a general controlling the midfield. So there is a gap."

The John D men do not feel the Pro League youth league adequately fills the void.

But the shortcomings, these men argue also, are not just technical.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bring back John D and Sando Tech
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2005, 10:44:34 AM »
Is it just me, or is secondary school football not as exciting as when John D and Sando Tech was part of the league?

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
If you go to any secondary school game now, it seems to have lost the edge it used to have. The teams only getting big support when they on top and if they not on top is only small crowds. I was in QRC during the golden age of 70-77 when we never win a thing ! But yet we produced some food players like Michael Grayson, Delandro,Thomson, Howard etc. During that time Tech had a team even as big as the team with Latas, Leonson, in fact they get ban because they use a over age player one year. The thing is regardless who playing who the crowds were massive. People want to see the best palyers and the best teams.Check it out SSFL is really the only under 19 football league it have, so why some of the best youths in the country should be excluded because of some snobbish rules.
The lack of crowds is because of the  best not being in the league. College football as it was called then was more than that, men and women from the villages and towns used to come out and support because the nieghbour son playing an he is a favorite on the local savannha ground.
Our whole society breaking down today because we like to exclude each other for selfishness.
Bring back John D bring back Tech bring back any other school that have players who could make the grade, after all is still boys under 19.

Fishs
J Warner 4 Fifa pres after we beat Uzbex

Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Should the Technical Schools be allowed into Secondary Schools football agai
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2005, 12:48:33 AM »
"Cumberbatch contends that, "players who play soccer only actually fully mature between the age of 17 and 19."

Players in the developed soccer nations are identified for national duty and grooming before this age. Cumberbatch is crazy.

And why he calling Latas name so when everybody know he pass for Tranquil and only went Sando Tech to play football.  What Trade is Clayton Morris practising at Trintoc?  Steups.

The talent pool being smaller??? But who elcted de intercol as some big time feeder system for future national teams. Dat is passe. Dem days gone. Any young serious footballer in T&T better be looking at Jabloteh, Connection and even Joe Public youth teams if they want to be in an environment that would nurture and groom them. Let de pros do the jobs of pros and let we not use an entertainment league as the main source of identifying talent. If we waiting for intercol to identify talent...lord have mercy on we...because it have real shit hound in dat league too. We only seem to reminisce about de best players and forget about some of de tata we see too. What we really need is access to good coaching and dis is where the Ministry of Sport comes in. Every youth should have access to proper sports facilities and coaching. Right now is only de rich going to La Foucarde and Corneal schoools. St. Clair does give real youths in Tobago chances...money or not. We need more of that and throughout the whole country.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: Should the Technical Schools be allowed into Secondary Schools football agai
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2005, 09:46:50 AM »
Cowen what 21 yr old playing ssf.....Its 18 years breds!

I know them fellas now lookin old but still!!

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2005, 10:19:42 AM »
Cowen what 21 yr old playing ssf.....Its 18 years breds!

I know them fellas now lookin old but still!!

In my day SSFL age was Under-20.....Not sure what it is now, but I believe it's the same
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
the answer is NO
IT IS CALLED SECONDAY SCHOOLS FOOTBALL LEAGUE.....NOT DOWNERS/TECHNICAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 04:51:00 PM by latas is d boss »

1]; } ?>