April 29, 2024, 09:56:13 PM

Author Topic: Trinis head back home Thread.  (Read 8003 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Trinis head back home Thread.
« on: October 19, 2008, 10:33:55 AM »
Trinis head back home

Home
News
Business
Sports

Editorial
Commentary

Features
Entertainment
Daily Cartoons

Sports Arena 
Womanwise
Business Guardian

Letters
Death Notices

Advertising
Classified Ads
Jobs in T&T
Contact Us

Archives
Privacy Policy

By Peter Balroop

The brain drain is on the brink of being reversed. T&T professionals, as well as less-qualified nationals who fled overseas in the past three decades, are looking to come back home.

This is because the greener pastures they sought abroad to earn a better living for themselves and their families are not so green again.

From all indications, the trek back home by hundreds of Trinis could be gaining momentum.

One of the things making it easy for them to return home are measures the NAR administration had put in place between 1986 and 1991 for citizens to be able to hold dual citizenship.

In the NAR days and the early 1990s, a lot of Trinis of East Indian descent sought citizenship in Canada, claiming refugee status on the grounds of political persecution.

A senior Central Statistical Office (CSO) source did not take dual citizenship into consideration as encouragement for citizens to return to T&T from homes they have made for themselves in North America and Europe.

But she said three factors would weigh heavily on the decision.

Amidst the global financial crisis, the cost of living abroad has risen astronomically since energy prices, particularly oil, started a steep upward curve. Climate change was also another factor, since winters were getting much colder.

And last, but not least, the T&T economy was booming, with plenty jobs to be had in almost every sector.

The senior CSO statistician, who did not want to be identified, confirmed what the Immigration Department had informed the Sunday Guardian—migration figures are difficult to pin down.

This is because when they fill out their immigration cards, returning residents don’t have to state whether they are returning permanently, or just for a holiday.

The statistician said when residents were about to leave T&T and they filled out their embarkation cards, most would complete the forms as though they were going on vacation.

The CSO’s next step was seeking to harness the records of the various embassies and high commissions on T&T nationals seeking to get residential status in the respective countries. But as she modestly put it:

“The processing of this information is difficult.”

During the 2009 budget debate, Public Administration Minister Kennedy Swaratsingh made it a point to emphasise that Government experienced no problems at all in getting hundreds of scholarship winners studying abroad to return home to work, after completing their degree courses.

Steady increase

And according to the CSO, which is gathering its forces to carry out a 2010 population census, the number of Trinis domiciled here has steadily been increasing.

The CSO’s 2008 T&T mid-year population count was 1,308,587 compared to 1,275,705 in 2002, growing each year in the period under review by between 0.3 to 0.5 per cent.

It was a fact that births had been exceeding deaths in T&T during the past seven years; births steady at between 13 and 14 per 1,000 persons a year and deaths at between seven and eight per 1,000 for the same period.

That would account for the population increase.

But figures sourced from the US Department of Homeland Security showed that, in general, fewer Caribbean citizens were being naturalised there.

The CSO source admitted that the figures were not a reliable yardstick to measure reverse migration, but they showed, in 2006, a total of 90,979 Caribbean citizens became naturalised US citizens, compared to a steep drop of 68,577 in 2007.

In 2005, a total of 64,672 Caribbean nationals because US citizens.

The CSO, according the source, had recognised the deficiency in acquiring accurate migration figures, and had come up with a plan to liaise with the UWI, St Augustine Social Sciences Faculty to solve the problem.

“We need the migration figures to improve the population count,” the source noted.

She added that she was confident the Government would be on the right track to cater now for an increase in nationals returning to live in T&T.

Scouting the possibilities

Former Central Bank governor, Winston Dookeran, who is Congress of the People (COP) leader, concurs that the brain drain is on the reverse.

“I think a lot of Trinis living abroad are now scouting the possibilities here.

“I have sensed a fair amount of persons in their 50s and 60s have come home to scout the situation.

“Some are trying to set up a base, either a house or a business, then going back to their place of residence to see how the situation unfolds,” said Dookeran.

He said when he served the NAR as Chaguanas MP and Finance Minister, he had been at the forefront of the thrust to push legislation through Parliament to permit for dual citizenship so expatriates could find it easier to fit back into T&T.

“I argued that when people reach 50 or 60, they would want to come back home, because they were economically independent, and they loved their country of birth,” explained Dookeran.

He said he was not sensing that younger expatriates were interested in returning at this time.

Dookeran disclosed that his contacts in the outside world had given him an estimate of some 500,000 T&T expatriates living abroad.

The World Bank Migration and Remittances Factbook 2008 released last month detailed that T&T nationals living abroad sent back home US$92 million, compared to US$54 million in 2000.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:01:21 AM by Flex »
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Trinis head back home
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 11:54:32 AM »
Interesting piece

ALthough I could easily twist the numbers and say ppl in that age group 50's and 60's have always returned home 'to pre-retire' ...but the large amount returning might be the same large amount that left in the in the 1980's and 1990's

He might be on point about younger expats...is only one person from this board I know pack up and gorne home after livin in de snow for awhile
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 12:11:56 PM »
I can tell you as a matter of fact that expat Trinis are sending their Trini born children back home to benefit from free Tertiary Education.

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 12:16:19 PM »
I can tell you as a matter of fact that expat Trinis are sending their Trini born children back home to benefit from free Tertiary Education.

But yet those who are already home playing the arse. What is wrong with the picture.

Dutty I agree that the pre retirees are returning to hot climate.
Look if I still alive in meh mid 50s, my plan is to return home but Tobago. Throw 2 bricks together somewhere near ah beach and sleep whole day wid sand in meh ear.

yeah dat one person still skinnin he teeth and going behin' dem oman dem. he ain't learn to drink yet....steupse
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:19:02 PM by TriniCana »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 01:45:38 PM »
Agree Jah is an option we explorin 4 my niece now dat USC is freeeeeeeeeeeeee
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 01:46:32 PM »
Trinis head back home

By Peter Balroop

In the NAR days and the early 1990s, a lot of Trinis of East Indian descent sought citizenship in Canada, claiming refugee status on the grounds of political persecution.

When did this happen?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 01:55:03 PM »
Good luck with that school.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 02:30:43 PM »
She goin back 2 d US iz not like she stayin in TNT USC and Andrews University have an agreement since dey was CUC. I know peeps who went CUC and went Monroe in NY finish degree and wukin here.

As 4 d Indians who claim refugee status that happen under Robbie watch most ah dem dey post back dey tail. Y u tink we need visa 2 go Canada is dem fools who claim refugee status.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 02:34:48 PM »
Some people are abusing the system. We need graduates to contribute to our social and economic development.

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 05:41:49 PM »
Some people are abusing the system. We need graduates to contribute to our social and economic development.

as a recent graduate muhself it real hard for we to contribute since d gov't still move like all tings foreign is d better option. nobody want to give us locals a chance to contribute. i cud tell yuh, d majority of my frens, myself included, doh have d links (big shot parents) to get us proper jobs.

so most of us rite now either eh get any job yet or in a waste a time job that seein ppl less qualified dan u, makin more money dan u.
when i read d story in d papers today ah jus hadda steups, cuz ah kno it go be more pressure for local graduates to get decent jobs now.

bless!!
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008, 05:53:05 PM »
USC is free?
USC in California?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2008, 06:41:21 PM »

Doesn't GATE impose a 3-4 year 'service' requirement- working in the degree field in either the public or private sectors in TnT?  If that's the case then I have no problem with ex-pat kids getting their edumacashun on.  Curious though how the gov't would enforce it if a youth decide to take they degree and ride out after graduation.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 06:51:23 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2008, 07:08:30 PM »
There is no law preventing the student from leaving the country.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 07:09:50 PM »
Trinis head back home

By Peter Balroop

When did this happen?

After Robbie & Panday split and NAR mashup.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 07:11:43 PM »
There is no law preventing the student from leaving the country.
I think is only if they got a Scholarship.

in my wife's time she had to return to TnT for 3 or 4 years (Cant remember which)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 07:45:28 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2008, 07:17:04 PM »
USC is free?
USC in California?
usc

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 07:18:13 PM »
USC is free?
USC in California?
usc
:-[
ok thanks
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 07:49:36 PM »
Thanks JahGol

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2008, 01:41:31 AM »

But yet those who are already home playing the arse. What is wrong with the picture.

Dutty I agree that the pre retirees are returning to hot climate.
Look if I still alive in meh mid 50s, my plan is to return home but Tobago. Throw 2 bricks together somewhere near ah beach and sleep whole day wid sand in meh ear.

yeah dat one person still skinnin he teeth and going behin' dem oman dem. he ain't learn to drink yet....steupse

;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 01:43:12 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2008, 06:19:42 AM »
Trinis head back home

By Peter Balroop

When did this happen?

yUH ANSWER YUH OWN QUESTION DE SAH
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2008, 06:23:16 AM »
I am 36 and almost went back to trini to live. Then I got this job I am in so spend all my money moving from Germany to VA.

I tell you what thou when I reach 50 I will not be here.  Atleast this is the plan that the wifey and I have made.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2008, 08:00:35 AM »
my take on the situation is, if there is a mass exodus to trinidad, it will change for the better because our current people whos living there are unable to change the nation, expats have a better insight on how a well run country is supposed to be run and managed. Of course you will get the jealousy from the locals who have stayed but they aren't changing our nation for the better, because if they were, our country wouldn't be in the predictament it is in currently. By no means should grads locally not be able to get jobs but that is the government's fault for lack of diversification in the economy and the crime situation which drives away foreign investment which also creates domesic jobs.

This is the reason it is good that ex pats come back home and take over the situation so our nation could turn around and everyone will benefit.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2008, 12:09:12 PM »
my take on the situation is, if there is a mass exodus to trinidad, it will change for the better because our current people whos living there are unable to change the nation, expats have a better insight on how a well run country is supposed to be run and managed. Of course you will get the jealousy from the locals who have stayed but they aren't changing our nation for the better, because if they were, our country wouldn't be in the predictament it is in currently. By no means should grads locally not be able to get jobs but that is the government's fault for lack of diversification in the economy and the crime situation which drives away foreign investment which also creates domesic jobs.

This is the reason it is good that ex pats come back home and take over the situation so our nation could turn around and everyone will benefit.

"Controversial"... indeed.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2008, 04:13:48 PM »

Throughout the history of the Caribbean many returning citizens have made invaluable contributions to our development. Almost every leader in the Independence era gained experience outside of the Caribbean before returning. While I believe that T&T citizens abroad can and will continue that trend it is however, a faulty assertion that local Trinis today do not possess the expertise or 'insight' to create the necessary changes in public administration. In the areas of critical concern like transportation and national security we have developed research capability. The problem is in reform of our policy to make it evidence or research based so progress can be measured by objective analysis. Many foreign "consultants" who are hired regurgitate already existing information available locally.

Furthermore it is not the exclusive responsibility of Government to 'diversify' the economy. T&T is a free market economy and citizens are free to exert their entrepreneurial energies in any legal industry. It is the role of Government to support these activities by providing adequate services such as security and education, infrastructure and a regulatory framework that allows T&T industry to be competitive. Here is where government is failing badly.

Offline ON DE BLOCK

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2008, 04:54:36 PM »

Throughout the history of the Caribbean many returning citizens have made invaluable contributions to our development. Almost every leader in the Independence era gained experience outside of the Caribbean before returning. While I believe that T&T citizens abroad can and will continue that trend it is however, a faulty assertion that local Trinis today do not possess the expertise or 'insight' to create the necessary changes in public administration. In the areas of critical concern like transportation and national security we have developed research capability. The problem is in reform of our policy to make it evidence or research based so progress can be measured by objective analysis. Many foreign "consultants" who are hired regurgitate already existing information available locally.

Furthermore it is not the exclusive responsibility of Government to 'diversify' the economy. T&T is a free market economy and citizens are free to exert their entrepreneurial energies in any legal industry. It is the role of Government to support these activities by providing adequate services such as security and education, infrastructure and a regulatory framework that allows T&T industry to be competitive. Here is where government is failing badly.

although you have some valid points, it still remains that the government has a large part to play in the diversification of the economy, the private sector is not the only sector responsible, the government must open up areas of the economy or provide stimulus to certain sectors in order for private firms to step in and continue the growth, security in T&T is the main reason why the private sector is not growing; you could also say that the government's lack of vision when it comes to certain areas of the economy leaves these areas stagnant and inhibits any progression in terms of jobs and opportunities.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2008, 05:39:28 PM »

although you have some valid points, it still remains that the government has a large part to play in the diversification of the economy, the private sector is not the only sector responsible, the government must open up areas of the economy or provide stimulus to certain sectors in order for private firms to step in and continue the growth, security in T&T is the main reason why the private sector is not growing; you could also say that the government's lack of vision when it comes to certain areas of the economy leaves these areas stagnant and inhibits any progression in terms of jobs and opportunities.
I'm not disagreeing with you. Government investment in infrastructure is one of the best stimuli to the economy. Infrastructural development of  port facilities, roads for farmers and rural residents, highways and other transportation facilities and utility delivery services has a direct effect business.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 01:53:59 PM »

Sorry eh, but this argument real loose.

I cyar see eye to eye with yuh paragraph.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 02:05:19 PM »
Touches yuh believe d shit tis man talking..expats goe save Trinis....fella doe take it tuh heart...Iz d other way around.....

Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 09:19:51 PM »
If alyuh feel that Trini would let alyuh come back home and try to change things for them alyuh lie ,the first thing yuh go be hearin iz them foreigners want to come here and tell we how to run things, although yuh could make it better the indisciplin of we people they go tell yuh why yuh doh go back wey yuh come from .check the calypso foreigner .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 08:22:01 AM »
hear nuh, if there are expats that can help with the crime situation, then the govt should accept that help. i recall TT went back to try and like the govt sticking. see how things does go  :(

1]; } ?>