April 25, 2024, 03:47:08 AM

Author Topic: Aggression or Accommodation, Remaining True to Our Nature: Maintaining a Balance  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Another similarity to the infamous 1989 game, is that on Wednesday’s win not even a yellow card was meted out. This coupled with winning the prize for being the most sportsmanlike team in the region (allyuh rememmber that right?), has got me thinking.

T&T are by nature a gentleman’s team. We doh play nasty, we doh ridicule the opposing team, the Hasley Crawford Stadium is not exactly the most intimidating stadium anywhere, we doh put up teams in the worst accommodations in the country. Opposing teams generally like coming to T&T.

That said, there is probably an argument to be made that our gentlemanliness fortunately or unfortunately translates itself unto the field of play. Our players make it too easy for the opposition to succeed against us. After all, it is competition and the stakes are high. We may be naïve as a people.  Some have suggested (myself included) that T&T need to be considerably more intimidating to our rivals. We should incite a great measure of fear within our competitors. From coming up with a fearless and intimidating nick name for the stadium to putting on a game face against our opponents, we should make their experience one that lets them know that they playing a “baaaaaaaad” team.

But that’s just not us. We are not Mexico or Guatemala. We are Trinibagonians. We welcome you and we entertain our fans. We ain’t lucky wit the bad mind ting. We will spanner the opponents, belt them, drag them, attempt some nice through passes and try to win the game fair and square. We aint go dive in the penalty area either.

Some have alluded to the possibility that the US would rather play us in the HEX than the Guatemalans. The idea is that we are better sports. We are a clean team.

Even VIP’s of the great Brazil were posed with the question: Would you prefer to win with a plain and boring game or loose with entertaining football? They chose the latter. (Maybe somebody could find the article on the web).

But what about striking a balance? Shouldn’t T&T create a more intimidating atmosphere while maintaining a clean style of play?

Just some thoughts to generate dialogue on this ongoing question of the nature of Trinbagonians and their likelihood of professional growth in the world of football (sport).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 12:09:43 PM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

But what about striking a balance? Shouldn’t T&T create a more intimidating atmosphere while maintaining a clean style of play?

Striking a balance is great..except the fans, or at least the people that fill the stadium simply not that passionate about football...yuh cyah fight culture

On the field, is only Yorke & Whitley i see dat does go after opposing dirty players consistently

Nice write up btw
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Thanks Dutty.

BTW, I'm not so sure yuh cyah change culture. I anticipate it will be difficult. Not so certain it is impossible. That is actually something that I plan to research.

I think nations mature with time and various experiences.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
No dispute there, culture can change but at a glacial pace

If Trinbagonians in this day and age dont have agressive or even assertive protests over basic necessities to live, I doubt football will cause any visceral effect for the average person
It also doh help that the administration dont market the football and 'whip up' some kinda patriotic sentiment amongst the general public

Somewhere in the T&T V USA thread it had men complaining dem eh even know tickets for the game was sellin and TTFF website had no info...when the 'football guardians' create that kinda atmosphere , I could see how apathy could take hold easy

The lyrics in the first 16 bars of 'Trini to de Bone' does sum we up well enough
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
America is timidating went any team's play there...no...you have the best hotel with in the state to select from nor the american fan intimidating...I don't think so...what iam trying to get at.....is they still have to take the field and play the game...i say the place maybe less intimidating...i just think the timidation should be on the field of play by our players....aggression and very physical ...that where the fear is  i think (THE GAME OF PLAY)

1]; } ?>