April 28, 2024, 09:43:48 PM

Author Topic: Latapy not Ready yet  (Read 7328 times)

Offline Gazza

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Latapy not Ready yet
« on: October 20, 2008, 08:24:31 PM »
Modern international coaches has all the practical and academic credentials going for them before they are even considered to be a national team coach. We are being caught up in a world being fanatics if we are to reall demand for Latas to be our national coach. Maybe he might be a success but in terms of credentials he will be way out of his league. Great player he was, skillfull he still has flashes. But that does not give him enough to be an international coach. Modern successful international coaches are all interlects, thinkers highly qualified professional individuals who are not only footballistically trained but interletually. This will make them muh more tactically sound and communicative in terms of teaching and explaining tactics and systems. We talk about Klinsman and Van Basten but besides being great ballers they are educated men which is a different type of training that goes with being a professional in modern sports. I personally am not yet impessed by his credentials as yet if we are to really take our football to a different level(this being my real area of concern). 

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy not Ready yet
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 08:31:34 PM »
How much exprience does Dunga hav.
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 08:37:37 PM »
Latapy ready, be he should not coach under this present circumstances. Is he to coach and play or coach only, play only. Jack pulling strings.

Offline kaisocagoals

• Supportin' T&T Football,... raise yuh head!... let the ball do the running!
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 08:40:51 PM »
Modern international coaches has all the practical and academic credentials going for them before they are even considered to be a national team coach. We are being caught up in a world being fanatics if we are to reall demand for Latas to be our national coach. Maybe he might be a success but in terms of credentials he will be way out of his league. Great player he was, skillfull he still has flashes. But that does not give him enough to be an international coach. Modern successful international coaches are all interlects, thinkers highly qualified professional individuals who are not only footballistically trained but interletually. This will make them muh more tactically sound and communicative in terms of teaching and explaining tactics and systems. We talk about Klinsman and Van Basten but besides being great ballers they are educated men which is a different type of training that goes with being a professional in modern sports. I personally am not yet impessed by his credentials as yet if we are to really take our football to a different level(this being my real area of concern). 

Latapy is Trinidad's Greatest...

you tellin me, dat if he coachin you... you wouldn't listen simply because, he don't have the ability to communicate?...

or as you put it "Modern international coaches has all the practical and academic credentials going for them before they are even considered to be a national team coach."

he is a Trini...

and if yuh "pulling stones" yuh know yuh have to "buck up"...

The No.10's magic is not just for the Red White and Black, but for those only too willing to listen to his experience as a player...

watch dis....

yuh want proof?

Kenny Dalglish...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:12:33 PM by kaisocagoals »
a minute in football is a very long time...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:43:23 PM »
Once Jack dey he go pull strings so unless he have d guts of d DONNNNNNNNNN JW in d picture. So if he take d wuk he know dat iz what he sign up 4
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 08:46:29 PM »
all ah allya REALLY want allya HERO to come and fight up with Jack and his clown troupe.......
Latas dont do it man............Manage right there in Falkirk and play some ball for TnT when day get day head out day arse and call you up......the people in Falkirk does treat you better than those in the TTFF.....not so

Oct 15 2008    YOU beat the USA....sweet feeling
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 08:48:53 PM »
nice topic and good reasoning behind it also
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 12:14:13 AM »

Bullshyttttt
snaka snawh
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 12:55:40 AM »
Latas went Sando Tech..he educated....
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 02:30:59 AM »
you do know that he has been assistant coach at Falkirk for two years now right ?
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 03:00:38 AM »
you do know that he has been assistant coach at Falkirk for two years now right ?
didnt Ole Man Cornmeal say that Latas was not a good choice in an article awhile back as his tenure as a coach at Falkirk did not produce a winning team....or something to that effect...I goin an look for the article....

here it is

Former stars welcome return of 'Little Magician'
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

ALL HAIL LATAPY
FIFA technical adviser Alvin Corneal, a former national player and coach, sounded a word of caution, though.

Corneal pointed out that Latapy's record as assistant coach for unheralded Scotland Premier League team, Falkirk FC, offered little clues as to whether he could succeed.

"If the TTFF think he is good enough and want to use him then, he is entitled to a chance," said Corneal. "It is hard to judge him because Falkirk is not a big club and I can't say he did anything substantial there...

"A good player does not necessarily make a good coach... It is a whole different profession.

"I am not going to challenge Russell's ability to coach because I don't know it. But a lot of people will be saying that he was a great player so he would be a great appointment. I disagree with it on that basis."
Gazza = Ole Man Cornmeal? :devil:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 03:09:28 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 05:04:18 AM »
considering the resources and talent he has to work with staying up in the SPL and reaching the Semi's in a cup run might be considered successfull but then I am sure Corneal knows better
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 05:08:03 AM »
Yeah modern coaches have the "interlect."

Nuff said!

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 06:07:59 AM »
Latapy ready, be he should not coach under this present circumstances. Is he to coach and play or coach only, play only. Jack pulling strings.

What is the basis for your saying that Latapy is ready? Help meh out here, please! Surely it is not because "Latapy is Trinidad's Greatest" or that "he is a Trini" or that "the No.10's magic is not just for the Red White and Black, but for those only too willing to listen to his experience as a player".

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 06:24:05 AM »
Latas may have had a limited post secondary education.

But who here knows Latas' 'intellectual ability?'

It is indeed an important asset. He has rubbed shoulders with some of the greatest clubs and Coaches in the world. Many a lesser player has made a good Coach.

BTW what are the playing credentials of England's last two coaches?

John Barnes never do one ass as a Coach but now he going and Coach J'ca.

Latas has better pedigree than most. I'm not saying he would be fantastic but I eh saying he would be shit either. But he is worthy of a chance.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline assrancid

• Man who scratch ass should not bite fingernails.
  • Hero Warrior
  • Education should be the handmaid of citizenship.
    • View Profile
    • Stony Brook University
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2008, 06:25:44 AM »
Why not Latapy anbrat?  What makes him any less qualified than say Wim, or Gally, or Bertille, or Shabazz or a host of others who held the reins in T&T?

He has been doing a commendable job in Scotland according to the published reports, he appears to have the knack for it, and then there is the fact that he seems to be a true student of the game, a quick study and has the ability to communicate to the youngsters.  (This according to Hughes who wants him to stay on in Falkirk as a coach after his playing days are over.)

Are we so quick to cast aside a prophet because he is from our own land?

And vb, I hope you know my "Interelct" post was seasoned with a heavy dose of sarcasm.

Imagine a man saying that Latapy lacks the intellect yet spells the word "interlect."

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2008, 06:40:49 AM »
Assrancid, you confusing me.

Anbrat and I were responding to Gazza.

Our posts actually seem to agree with your sentiments. So I am confused as to your last post.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2008, 06:45:40 AM »
With all dat is being said, I am more concerned that our National Coach is not truly independent.  As such, I won't want to see the memories of Latas as a player tarnished by Special Advisers, former coaches and players constantly meddling in the business of Coaching.  Too much going on behind the scene.  We all see what that has brought us.  

Because of my love for the guy, I would be the first to say that Latas should stay far away from taking on the role as our National Coach, at the same time continuing to learn the profession for the day will come when we purge our football.

Blessings
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 07:03:08 AM by Lower St. John »
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 06:51:56 AM »
well who are your suggestions other than latas for coach of the national team? name some candidates and list why they should get the national job, simple as that and keep in mind, if these candidates will actually take the job

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2008, 06:55:14 AM »

EXACTLY!!!

and for all de years before dat, i kinda want to believe he mighta pick up a lil thing or two from he different managers/coaches, i could be wrong eh but maybe i'm not.

i also feel if men continue to mention klinsman and dem other players who became coaches, dey also need to mention friggin Theodore effing Whitmore and de job he doing wid Jamaica right now.

men does only come on here and talk thru dey backside and make it sound like every thing is friggin black and friggin white and dey know everything and if dis one do it he only do it because he have the International or high level league experience or some other stupidness.....whew, ah needed to get dat out.

anyway Latas go just give Whitmore (Yale Harvard??) ah call for some pointers ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 07:00:39 AM by Fyzoman »
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2008, 07:11:03 AM »
Gazza,

You fast and out ah place to ball de man have no intellect.  First ting fus de word is "intellect"...not "interlect" as per yuh previous post. It come from de word intelligence - not meaning de ability to communicate.  Furthermore, yuh really tink ah 1/8 english speaking coach able to communicate to de fitballers better dan Latapy.  You is ah mad man yes.  Fitball head and academic head is too different type ah head.  De only academically sound coach we have in Trinidad is probably Jah Lily White, and he is de most miserable man and nobody doh like he.  Look at de greats like Ron Laforest, Robbie Greenidge, Arthur Jap Brown and I could go on and on.  Dese breddahs aint have no big academic credentials but dey is de most respected coaches dat we have.  It is an insult for you to come here bawling de man have no intellect.  Latas have de most fitball intellect dis country has ever had.  AND DAT IS AH FACT.   Football intelligence is synonymous with Russel Latapy.  It prevails on the pitch.  And it is with this understanding that I nominate Russel Latapy as the head coach of Trinidad and Tobago

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2008, 07:35:12 AM »
Example; Some of us on here know more than Maturana. He has experience right; a long resume, but at times he seems to have had no knowledge about the game. :-X So wit saying all of that, ah long resume, does not qualify a coach. The people that are placed around you as a coach can be used as a ‘long resume” your staff. Latas with the right people around him can make him become a great coach.  You have to start somewhere.

This game is simple. Once a coach understands the tactical aspect of the game, the x’s and o’s becomes simple. HE already seems to be a good motivator, which is another trait the most coach do no posses, results to losing teams.  Why he not ready?
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2008, 07:56:37 AM »

Anything to do with football Latas will star, is as simple as that.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2008, 08:51:38 AM »
Growing as a player in Brazil, Holland, Germany and other big countries can no way compare to growing as a player in T&T. It is not the name in terms of exposure to top class training on a daily basis.  Look we cannot even come close to developing another Latapyesque player.

Being an assistant coach to Falkirk provides you with experience to be a national coach? Come on. How are we to compete with the USA, Canada and other CONCACAF countries who hiring coaches on merit and not on them being"our greatest ever".  How come the USA did not give Caliguri, Lalas or McBride the job? What about Mexico giving the job to Blanco instead of Erikson?

Let look a little further away, How many time time have Pele coached Brazil or Maradonna coached Argentina?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2008, 08:52:36 AM »
I have always been an advocate of giving him a junior nat'l team first, allow him to get some experience under his belt under match and tournament conditions and then ease him into the senior squad
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:22:35 AM by grskywalker »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2008, 08:55:52 AM »
I have always been an advocate of giving him a junior nat'l team first, allow him to get some experience under his belt under match and tiurnament condition and then ease him into the senior squad

Sense, real sense. We now thinking.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2008, 09:07:36 AM »
Growing as a player in Brazil, Holland, Germany and other big countries can no way compare to growing as a player in T&T. It is not the name in terms of exposure to top class training on a daily basis.  Look we cannot even come close to developing another Latapyesque player.

Being an assistant coach to Falkirk provides you with experience to be a national coach? Come on. How are we to compete with the USA, Canada and other CONCACAF countries who hiring coaches on merit and not on them being"our greatest ever".  How come the USA did not give Caliguri, Lalas or McBride the job? What about Mexico giving the job to Blanco instead of Erikson?

Let look a little further away, How many time time have Pele coached Brazil or Maradonna coached Argentina?

You points are well taken, however, Pele, Caliguri, Lalas or McBride never expressed an interest to coach from my knowledge.  Maradonna is a crack head. 

Why is it that Preki is so successful with Chivas USA and he come straight off the pitch?  In fact, he doing better with Chivas USA than Bob Bradley ever did with the same team.

I would agree that yes, Latas could do with a lil more grooming but I would not say he cannot coach/manage or he is not ready until given the opportunity.  Latas could see stuff on a football field that 99% of us cannot dream to see, hence, his football intelligence is extremely high. 

I agree, playing and coaching/managing are 2 different things but knowing Latas' football mind, I taking that over most.  We obviously would have to surround him with a strong technical support staff but it could be done.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2008, 09:09:22 AM »
We don't need Latas 2 coach we have 1 wit a winnin record.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline trinimuse

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2008, 09:11:20 AM »
I think both Latas and TYourke have been persuing their coaches badges in the UK, Tallman can you clarify ???

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2008, 09:13:20 AM »
I have always been an advocate of giving him a junior nat'l team first, allow him to get some experience under his belt under match and tiurnament condition and then ease him into the senior squad

Sense, real sense. We now thinking.

Ditto. ;)

One another hand…ketch this.  If we do in fact make it to WC2010, we won't have ah problem wit " BIG NAMES" wanting to come coach this country. The question is, if we'll have the "BIG MONEY" to purchase their services.

The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

1]; } ?>