April 23, 2024, 12:00:25 PM

Author Topic: Who is the world's best wing back?  (Read 13050 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Who is the world's best wing back?
« on: October 22, 2008, 01:34:27 PM »
Wing back in today's football probably calls for your best athlete.  You see them running up and down the line like maniacs. 

A combination of speed, stamina, power, recovery, positioning sense, and technical ability

A case could be made that a team's best player is their wing back (depending on the team of course)

In today's football....Inter's Brazilian Maicon gets my vote.

Best wing back combo? 

Inter....Maicon and Zannetti

Arsenal - Clichy and Sagna

Barca - Abidal and Daniel Alves

Real Madrid - Heinze and Ramos

Villareal - Capdevilla and Lopez

Bayern Munich - Lahm and Oddo

Lawd.....some serious players dey.  Fuh me...Inter have de best wing back combo too.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the world's best wing back?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 01:39:55 PM »
Heinze? I prefer Marcelo at that position.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline masterblaster

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 01:44:08 PM »
Man Utd - Patrice Evra on de left have to included in dat list....De man iza beast!!!

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 01:45:56 PM »
I like Patrice Evra and Sergio Ramos

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 01:53:16 PM »
If I had to choose a dream combo from any teams, I'd say Maicon and Evra. Dani Alves is good going forward, so is Cicinho but I'm not too convinced about their defensive strengths..... Clichy is probably the speediest.  I like S.Ramos alot too, but he's not maturing as I thought he would- all the ability in the world but still prone to mental lapses and rash tackles- on his day he's as good as they get in that position....Sylivinho is a boss but I guess his best days are behind him....and Zambrotta is also impressive....

Marek Jankulovski (Czech Rep & Milan) has a very cultured left foot.  Maybe not the best wing back, but probably one of the best strikers of the ball in that position.

Heinze & A.Cole- overrated.

Does Zanetti even play at WB anymore?....seems like he's full time middie now.

Best all time dream team combo: Cafu & Lizarazu
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 01:57:50 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 01:57:44 PM »
If I had to choose a dream combo from any teams, I'd say Maicon and Evra. Dani Alves is good going forward, so is Cicinho but I'm not too convinced about their defensive strengths..... Clichy is probably the speediest.  I like S.Ramos alot too, but he's not maturing as I thought he would- all the ability in the world but still prone to mental lapses and rash tackles- on his day he's as good as they get in that position....Sylivinho is a boss but I guess his best days are behind him....and Zambrotta is also impressive....

Marek Jankulovski (Czech Rep & Milan) has a very cultured left foot.  Maybe not the best wing back, but probably one of the best strikers of the ball in that position.

Zanetti does still play wingback, case in point today's UCL game against Anorthosis.....the WB combination is Maicon and Zanetti. It just depends on the personnel and formation on the field at the time.

Personally they have my vote as the best WB combination, but i might be a lil biased  ;D
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 01:59:13 PM »

Zanetti does still play wingback, case in point today's UCL game against Anorthosis.....the WB combination is Maicon and Zanetti. It just depends on the personnel and formation on the field at the time.

Personally they have my vote as the best WB combination, but i might be a lil biased  ;D

Seen...only seen a few Inter games this season and I remember him playing in the middle (I think)...but yeah that is a deadly combo.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 02:00:26 PM »

I only see him play FB once this season, I think Maxwell was red carded or came off, can't remember. Actually he caused a goal. He had a mix up with Cordoba.

During WC I was really impressed with Lahm but nowadays Maicon gets my vote. Dani Alves gets up and down but his crosses are often wayward.

Més que un club.

Offline kaisocagoals

• Supportin' T&T Football,... raise yuh head!... let the ball do the running!
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2008, 02:01:15 PM »
Ah was going to say Edwards... but that just in CONCACAF... :devil:

Alves for me and as a combo... Alves y Maicon...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:20:03 PM by kaisocagoals »
a minute in football is a very long time...

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2008, 02:03:18 PM »

Seen...only seen a few Inter games this season and I remember him playing in the middle (I think)...but yeah that is a deadly combo.

Yeah he has played a lot more midfield this year than in recent seasons, but honestly I find that is what makes him such a great player....he could pretty much play anywhere in midfield or defence without much of a dropoff in the quality of his play. The man is a real boss in my book.
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2008, 02:37:06 PM »

Good call!
If yuh talking about same team though, I'd go with Thuram and Lizarazu.
WC '94 Leonardo was a boss as well
Ketch footballitis

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »
i'd say either zanetti or sergio ramos.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2008, 02:55:40 PM »
Brazilians revolutionize that position. Even Dutch total football didn't have it like that. I going for the nostalgia..Branco and Josimar. Tele Santana developed the prototype for the modern wing back with those two. They weren't the first to overlap, but they were the first who had skills of a midfielder. none of this push and run. Skills, shot and de overlap was attack as the most effective form of defense. It wasn't no overlap now and then.

Sorry..but Branco is the best there ever was. Altho Brazil ultimately failed, he was perfection in WC 1990. He and Braeme run de route dem days. Last time I would say two wing backs were easily in the top 10 ballers of that time. Cafu reach de heights too.

Today, I would have to go with Evra and Maicon
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 02:57:25 PM by Filho »

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2008, 03:02:45 PM »
Best combo for me would have to be Maldini and Jorginho ...... Jorginho was actually the best crossing wingback I've seen tho not the best defensive wingback but my my two fav wingbacks play on the same side the left side and that would be Maldini and Stuart "The animal" Pierce!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 03:04:09 PM »
Evra has nothing on Clichy in my opinion.  Either attacking or defensively.  And Clichy younger.

Best ever fantasy combo for me?

Jorginho and Maldini.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 03:05:42 PM »
Best combo for me would have to be Maldini and Jorginho ...... Jorginho was actually the best crossing wingback I've seen tho not the best defensive wingback but my my two fav wingbacks play on the same side the left side and that would be Maldini and Stuart "The animal" Pierce!

You jes spoil yuh post wit de Pearce reference.

Is like comparin Zidane and Theobald.   >:(

Offline Warrior30

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 03:14:17 PM »
AVERY JOHN AND CYD GREY
For de love of de game

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 03:19:49 PM »
Evra has nothing on Clichy in my opinion.  Either attacking or defensively.  And Clichy younger.

Jorginho and Maldini.

Jor-Jing before Cafu?

Nah man.
4 World Cups, 2 winners medals, one as captain?

Maldini at his advanced age of 74 still can keep the
best Serie A strikers under wraps.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 03:23:20 PM »

Jorginho and Maldini.

Jor-Jing before Cafu?

Nah man.

Not as a wing back. man playing purely sweeps now pardnah. but one of the best ever.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 03:27:07 PM »

Jorginho and Maldini.

Jor-Jing before Cafu?

Nah man.

Yuh have a point.  Cafu is a boss and like Maldini could still manners men.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 03:28:25 PM »

Good call dey Toppa....but Heinze tends to get de pick more often than not no?

Who fall back fuh me is de Dutch yute...Drenthe (I eh sure if daz how yuh spell he name).  Had high expectations for him but he seem to be on de bench right thru
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 03:32:18 PM by palos »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 03:39:47 PM »

not sure, but marcelo seemed to play a lot more last season and he's started 5 of 7 La Liga games this season ahead of heinze including last weekend's Madrid derby.

not saying that is proof he better. coach could just be rotating, using each in specific types of games. just answering the question

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2008, 03:46:13 PM »

Ah find Ashley gettin dumped on..

I like Ashley cole +  Bosingwa

time will tell as they are now developing their partnership.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2008, 03:46:43 PM »

not sure, but marcelo seemed to play a lot more last season and he's started 5 of 7 La Liga games this season ahead of heinze including last weekend's Madrid derby.

not saying that is proof he better. coach could just be rotating, using each in specific types of games. just answering the question

Thanks fuh de info bro... :beermug:

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2008, 04:03:50 PM »
Ah find Ashley gettin dumped on..

I like Ashley cole +  Bosingwa

time will tell as they are now developing their partnership.

Two very good players as well.

One a de INDIRECT purposes of dis thread was to emphasise de importance de wing backs have in today's game.

Filho is correct.  Brazil really revolutionize de position where their wing backs were frequently found attacking the opposition as well as defending when the opposition had the ball.  This requires a lot of stamina, aerobic capacity, speed, and recovery in addition to technical ability and tactical awareness.

That combination is a prototype in many respects for today's modern footballer except it's even more emphasised for wing backs.

I remember immediately after watching the game between Brazil and Russia in the 82 world cup in spain, we imeediately went out to play ball and everybody was trying to imitate Socrates, Zico, Eder, Falcao, Junior etc.

Purely by fluke, I happened to execute a text book perfect slide tackle on an opposing player and our coach stopped the game and told us that he was happy to see the impact the World Cup was having on us.  He went on to say that the position that would be the "glamour position" in world football was wing back because of how Brazil played it and he hoped that we as yutes would try and emulate that because he knew how we all wanted to play "glamour positions". 

Suffice it to say that Socrates won out over everybody else.  But Junior and Leandro in that tournament left a lasting impression.  I mean...these were HIGHLY SKILLED players playing what was perceived to be a defensive position.  Being Junior or Leandro was NOT Boring to young wide eyes impressionable youngsters.  Of course....Junior was actually a horrible defender...but at de time...we wasn't studyin dat.  We were marvelling at how he was up in the attack more often than not.

We understood what coach was saying about glamour position and we liked that part.  What we didn't like is all de hard wuk yuh woulda have to put een to become truly successful.  De amounta runnin and trainin.  And if yuh did....yuh woulda find yuhself in de forward line or midfield anway.  The wingback in modern football puts in the hardest shift consistently of all the players.

Today.....Junior could not make a 1st division team.  Not playing how he was anyway.  But he could probably make a midfield maybe.  Brazil converted so many wingers to wing backs.  Branco, Jorginho, Leandro, Josimar, etc.  Roberto Carlos made the position even more glamorous in his heyday.  He was just as much of a superstar as Ronaldo & Rivaldo.

Hopefully T&T can learn from that and coaches can direct and guide more of our really gifted players in that direction.  Because if yuh want to be considered a top team, without solid wing backs, yuh ass is grass.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2008, 04:37:51 PM »
Apparently no one has watched Bosingwa this season.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2008, 05:00:56 PM »

Apparently you think davidephraim is "no one"... ;D

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2008, 05:03:49 PM »
Francisco Marinho and Roberto Carlos

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2008, 05:04:12 PM »
Frankie Hejduk
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2008, 05:06:09 PM »

Apparently you think davidephraim is "no one"... ;D

David no hard feelings, but I did not read that far when I post.  ;D    :beermug:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>