April 30, 2024, 10:41:51 AM

Author Topic: Who is the world's best wing back?  (Read 13121 times)

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Who is the world's best wing back?
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2008, 06:06:44 PM »
Irwin was Uniteds most consistent defender from 1992 - 1999. He was also great going forward as his goalscoring record suggests.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2008, 06:12:28 PM »
How about German and Inter stalwart Andreas Brehme? ... from the back in the days when Serie A was boss and on Channel 2 & 13 every Sunday after the indian flicks!

Bossman make Maradona cry in 1990. 
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2008, 06:46:53 PM »
Irwin was Uniteds most consistent defender from 1992 - 1999. He was also great going forward as his goalscoring record suggests.

Whether he was United's most consistent defender doh mean anyting when yuh lookin at best wing backs.  Compared to de men on dis thread, he come like Avery John.

Nex ting allyuh United men go say Gary Neville deserve to be on de list too... ::)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2008, 06:48:05 PM »
How about German and Inter stalwart Andreas Brehme? ... from the back in the days when Serie A was boss and on Channel 2 & 13 every Sunday after the indian flicks!

Big Player.  :beermug:  De ex decathlete & Brehme teammate Hans Petr Briegel wasn't bad needah altho not in this company.

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2008, 07:21:52 PM »

Whether he was United's most consistent defender doh mean anyting when yuh lookin at best wing backs.  Compared to de men on dis thread, he come like Avery John.

Nex ting allyuh United men go say Gary Neville deserve to be on de list too... ::)

Well since people are mentioning Micah Richards, I don't see the harm in throwing Irwins name into the discussion. In his day he was one of the best full backs in in the UK. Compare that to Richards who can't even get into the England squad ahead of Wes Brown (who isn't even a natural full back).

But then I am replying to someone who earlier stated that Clichy is a better wing back than Evra, so this comes as no surprise...

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2008, 07:34:01 PM »

Well since people are mentioning Micah Richards, I don't see the harm in throwing Irwins name into the discussion. In his day he was one of the best full backs in in the UK. Compare that to Richards who can't even get into the England squad ahead of Wes Brown (who isn't even a natural full back).

But then I am replying to someone who earlier stated that Clichy is a better wing back than Evra, so this comes as no surprise...

nice try venerable, but that is apples and oranges.

i listed micah richards as one of the best defensive wingbacks today.. If we had this thread running back in 1992, well yeah we coulda talk denis irwin..

but come nuh man, how yuh go bring dat shitong like that into ah discussion about all time greats?

and even back in dem days, 'one of the best full backs in the UK' was no kinda pips..

English full backs at that time was a setta hoof-it-out wildmen. Who want to talk about Denis Irwin back then when yuh had men like Brehme, Maldini, Cafu, Branco, Laurent Blanc, Sergi Barjuan, Frank De Boer and such fellahs to study?

giggsy11

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2008, 07:52:43 PM »

i listed micah richards as one of the best defensive wingbacks today.. If we had this thread running back in 1992, well yeah we coulda talk denis irwin..

but come nuh man, how yuh go bring dat shitong like that into ah discussion about all time greats?

and even back in dem days, 'one of the best full backs in the UK' was no kinda pips..

English full backs at that time was a setta hoof-it-out wildmen. Who want to talk about Denis Irwin back then when yuh had men like Brehme, Maldini, Cafu, Branco, Laurent Blanc, Sergi Barjuan, Frank De Boer and such fellahs to study?

Irwin was equally good with his left or right foot, took free kicks and scored, great football brain and was damn great defensively. Roberto Carlos is overrated in my opinion, still can't play defense and was great going forward and use tuh get lucky with his long exaggerated run up and the ball 'sometimes' ended up in the net or took a deflection and ended up in the net as a result.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2008, 07:56:11 PM »

breds..I am pretty sure that Laurent Blanc and Frank De Boer never play no wing back. Especially not slow as molasses Blanc. De Boer was a sweep too

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2008, 08:17:07 PM »

Irwin was equally good with his left or right foot, took free kicks and scored, great football brain and was damn great defensively. Roberto Carlos is overrated in my opinion, still can't play defense and was great going forward and use tuh get lucky with his long exaggerated run up and the ball 'sometimes' ended up in the net or took a deflection and ended up in the net as a result.

So R. Carlos is overated ... yet he win the WC, came 2nd in Ballon d'Or voting, was named one of the top 125 living football players, won the 08 Golden Foot and played the most games ever for Real (not to mention La Liga titles).

Irwin on the other hand win the Champions League and some domestic titles ... so comparing him to R. Carlos, I guess that make him an overrated rank shittong.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2008, 08:19:15 PM »
Giggsy,
            I will take Roberto Carlos on my starting XI anyday.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2008, 08:21:25 PM »

this post = toots  :devil:
R Carlos made too much of a significant contribution to Brazil and Real Madrid winning everything for any sane person (except Argentines, who understandably get a bligh to hate on any Brazilian) to really believe that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZM9OFVpqC4&feature=related

but much respect to Irwin too. he was underrated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFTVQD5Ir3E
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 08:26:53 PM by Filho »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2008, 08:27:29 PM »

breds..I am pretty sure that Laurent Blanc and Frank De Boer never play no wing back. Especially not slow as molasses Blanc. De Boer was a sweep too

Yeah Blanc was always a sweeper...But DeBoer played on the left before he became a central defender.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2008, 08:39:05 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZM9OFVpqC4&feature=related

Thanks for this clip Filho, not a biased Brazilian fan as some can be, but this man for me is easily one of the best wing backs in my generation, I guess that's what makes us human, some views can seem controversial even when the opposing view is seemingly obvious to others
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2008, 08:56:41 PM »

true talk.. my bad.

but i know de boer start out in de LB before moving across to stopper.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2008, 09:06:49 PM »

true talk.. my bad.

good talk .. dat is the Ajax days of Kluivert and Van de Sar.
I never checked ... but I wonder if Beenie had coach all them big players.

giggsy11

« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2008, 09:13:27 PM »

So R. Carlos is overated ... yet he win the WC, came 2nd in Ballon d'Or voting, was named one of the top 125 living football players, won the 08 Golden Foot and played the most games ever for Real (not to mention La Liga titles).

Irwin on the other hand win the Champions League and some domestic titles ... so comparing him to R. Carlos, I guess that make him an overrated rank shittong.

I was not comparing Roberto carlos with Irwin. It is my opinion Roberto carlos is overrated. He won a WC so did Kleberson. Came in second in Ballon d'Or so did Lampard. He is considered great because of his offensive abilities what about defensive abilities? Or is men gettin caught up with his runs down the flanks? never said the man is a shithoung just overrated, who disagree disagree make no difference to me.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2008, 10:13:36 PM »
R. Carlos used to get caught upfield lots of time. But he used to run back and tackle like hell.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 24, 2008, 03:55:28 AM »

Good one!

You know, the amazing thing about Andy Brehme was that he played on the left flank and took free kicks and corners with his left foot, but he took penalties with his right foot. He was completely comfortable using either foot!

Not too often do you see players with that ability.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 24, 2008, 06:50:25 AM »

true talk.. my bad.

seen..about De Boer. he started as a left back. but did he actually leave his mark on the game as as a wing back to be including in your list, or will he be pretty much remembered as a world class sweeper. i think his early days as a wingback doh warrant a mention in world class wingbacks..unlike a fella like Thuram who is remembered as a sweep, but also as one who run de route in WC 1998 as a wing back. just asking really..I doh recall De Boer as a big baller playing out wide

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 24, 2008, 08:11:59 AM »

Good one!

You know, the amazing thing about Andy Brehme was that he played on the left flank and took free kicks and corners with his left foot, but he took penalties with his right foot. He was completely comfortable using either foot!

Corners and free kicks with the left, penalties with the right....

When Brehme stepped up for the first penalty against England in WC 90, I was real confused....I was like "how dis man gonna kick with his left running up at that angle?..lol"

He repeated in the final against Argentina...by then I was like "ok fine" but it still didn't seem right  ;D

Did he score a right footed curler against the Dutch in the 2nd round of that tournament? Or was it Klinsmann? Don't remember clearly...

He was quoted as saying that his right foot is more accurate but his left is more powerful...a coach's dream I guess.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 24, 2008, 08:17:04 AM »
TVO & Giggsy, if Irwin had spent his entire career putting in identical shifts for a club other than Manchester United allyuh woulda never heard of him, and even if yuh did yuh woulda never bring him up in this discussion...  Very solid player but not one of the all time greats please.

I's wonder if allyuh like football or just like Man U...

Who's next.... Wes Brown?  :-\

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2008, 08:22:28 AM »
I's wonder if allyuh like football or just like Man U...

You have to wonder?  ;D

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2008, 09:01:36 AM »

Good one!

Corners and free kicks with the left, penalties with the right....

When Brehme stepped up for the first penalty against England in WC 90, I was real confused....I was like "how dis man gonna kick with his left running up at that angle?..lol"

He repeated in the final against Argentina...by then I was like "ok fine" but it still didn't seem right  ;D

Did he score a right footed curler against the Dutch in the 2nd round of that tournament? Or was it Klinsmann? Don't remember clearly...

He was quoted as saying that his right foot is more accurate but his left is more powerful...a coach's dream I guess.

Yeah it was Brehme vs Holland. Brutal game..fellas real hate it each other. Watch how Rijkaard and Voeller start to boil over. When Voeller purposefully try to handle the ball into the net..Rijkaard completely loses it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXGjyz72bxo&feature=related

The only other man who is perfectly two-footed like Brehme that I've ever seen is Louis Saha. Up to today I doh know if that man left footed or right. He scores most of his goals and runs with the ball like a lefty. But I saw him once score a penalty with his right foot altho after that he seemed to take them exclusively lefty

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2008, 12:06:05 PM »
The only other man who is perfectly two-footed like Brehme that I've ever seen is Louis Saha.

Stern John. 

LEFT

RIGHT
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:09:47 PM by palos »

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2008, 12:55:51 PM »
The best pair today is Clichy and Sagna  ;D

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2008, 02:35:43 PM »
Yeah it was Brehme vs Holland. Brutal game..fellas real hate it each other. Watch how Rijkaard and Voeller start to boil over. When Voeller purposefully try to handle the ball into the net..Rijkaard completely loses it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXGjyz72bxo&feature=related

Good game!! That rivallry wasn't only West Germany vs. Holland ... it was a big Serie A sweat: Inter Milan's Matthaus, Klinsman and Roma's Voller versus AC Milan's Gullit, Rijkaard and Van Basten. I am sure that just added to the hatred.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2008, 04:39:02 PM »

The only other man who is perfectly two-footed like Brehme that I've ever seen is Louis Saha. Up to today I doh know if that man left footed or right. He scores most of his goals and runs with the ball like a lefty. But I saw him once score a penalty with his right foot altho after that he seemed to take them exclusively lefty

Real Madrid's Dutchman, Wesley Snejder.

The youth takes freekicks with either foot.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2008, 08:51:23 PM »
Brazilians revolutionize that position. Even Dutch total football didn't have it like that. I going for the nostalgia..Branco and Josimar. Tele Santana developed the prototype for the modern wing back with those two. They weren't the first to overlap, but they were the first who had skills of a midfielder. none of this push and run. Skills, shot and de overlap was attack as the most effective form of defense. It wasn't no overlap now and then.

Sorry..but Branco is the best there ever was. Altho Brazil ultimately failed, he was perfection in WC 1990. He and Braeme run de route dem days. Last time I would say two wing backs were easily in the top 10 ballers of that time. Cafu reach de heights too.

Today, I would have to go with Evra and Maicon

I will disagree with you that branco was the best there ever was ..with Josimar, carlos alberto, Francisco Marinho ( the witch ) and Roberto carlos rated much higher in my book. I agree with Evra today though ...he makes the position look easy. If you look at a wingback as someone who locks off the wing and still has time to get forward my favourite is Zanetti ...cant say i ever saw anyone get past him on the wing ..but he plays in the midfield more these days.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2008, 09:05:02 PM »
Guys, All them men all yuh talk about, real good but, I watching the 10 best goals by Roberto Carlos. Them other wing backs ain't have nothing on Roberto, yuh know.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dZM9OFVpqC4&feature=related

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2008, 09:10:45 PM »
Guys, All them men all yuh talk about, real good but, I watching the 10 best goals by Roberto Carlos. Them other wing backs ain't have nothing on Roberto, yuh know.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dZM9OFVpqC4&feature=related
i will always remember Roberto carlos playing for Real madrid attacking down the left flank shooting to goal and getting back ....when the other team got the ball and attacked ..there he was ..in the defense. His recovery after an attack I have never seen before or since .
It is to be noted that when Zidane was there Roberto Carlos played both left back and left link. In the schematic lineup Zidane played just behind the front two on the left but did very little defensive work. this changed though as Carlos got older and teams worked it out.

1]; } ?>