April 18, 2024, 09:05:56 PM

Author Topic: Tottenham Sack Ramos and appoint Redknapp  (Read 4164 times)

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
Tottenham Sack Ramos and appoint Redknapp
« on: October 25, 2008, 06:28:04 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7691457.stm

Tottenham Hotspur have sacked coach Juande Ramos and sporting director Damien Comolli and are set to appoint Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp.

Spurs have agreed a compensation package of £5m with Portsmouth, according to the 61-year-old Redknapp.

Tottenham also axed first team coaches Gus Poyet and Marcos Alvarez following their worst ever start to a season.

"It's a big opportunity for me to manage a big club before I retire," said Redknapp.

Spurs are four points adrift at the bottom of the Premier League after taking just two points from eight matches this season. They also lost to Udinese in the Uefa Cup on Thursday.

Redknapp revealed Spurs contacted Portsmouth on Friday morning, and after discussions between Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy and Pompey chief executive Peter Storrie, it was agreed he could talk to the London club.

"I love Portsmouth and I loved my time there, we had some fantastic success and I'd never been happier," said Redknapp.

"But it's a great deal for Portsmouth, £5m for me, and it's a chance for me to get on and see what I can do.

"Once Tottenham came in and once the offer was made it was difficult for the club to turn down a £5m offer for a manager.

"The club were pleased to take it and hopefully people will remember what I've done there."

Redknapp expects the official announcement to come from White Hart Lane on Sunday morning.

"It will all be sorted out and by tomorrow morning I should be in place," he said.

Clive Allen, development squad coach, and Alex Inglethorpe, youth team manager will take charge of Sunday's game against Bolton, while Redknapp expects to be at White Hart Lane to address the players before the match.

"I know as much about Tottenham as anyone," said Redknapp. "I've followed the club for years and years.

"They've been on an horrendous run of games and we've got to get cracking and turn it around as quick as we can.

"We need a little bit more strength and aggression about the team if we're going to survive."

In January, Redknapp held talks with Newcastle to succeed Sam Allardyce as manager but eventually rejected the offer.

Redknapp spent most of his playing career with West Ham and Bournemouth and went on to manage both clubs before taking charge of Portsmouth in 2002, guiding the club into the Premier League within 14 months as First Division champions.

He left Fratton Park for Pompey's bitter south coast rivals Southampton in 2004 but returned in December 2005.

Then, after dramatically saving Pompey from the drop with an unbelievable final 10-game run, Redknapp steered them to a best-ever Premier League finish of ninth in 2006/07.

They bettered that by a place in 2007/08, and won the FA Cup against Cardiff, qualifying for their first journey into Uefa Cup football.

The 54-year-old Ramos joined Spurs from Sevilla on 27 October 2007 after Dutchman Martin Jol was sacked.

The Spaniard enjoyed back-to-back Uefa Cup triumphs with Sevilla and guided Tottenham to February's League Cup final where they beat Chelsea 2-1 for the club's first trophy since 1999.

However, several first-choice players left in the summer, notably Bulgaria striker Dimitar Berbatov to Manchester United and Robbie Keane to Liverpool.

England striker Jermain Defoe was also sold last January to Redknapp's Portsmouth.

Tottenham splashed out about £60m on the likes of Croatia midfielder Luka Modric, England winger David Bentley, Russia striker Roman Pavlyuchenko and Brazilian goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes.

...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Re: Tottenham Sack Ramos and appoint Redknapp
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 06:29:22 PM »
oh dear
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 06:39:33 PM »
wow could this affect hyland portsmouth move

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 06:41:07 PM »

exactly
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 06:45:31 PM »
It could affect his Portsmouth move but effect his Tottenham move...its not like they don't need help ... ;D

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 06:58:30 PM »
It could affect his Portsmouth move but effect his Tottenham move...its not like they don't need help ... ;D
once redknapp ain't forget about him,this could show us exactly how intrested redknapp is in him but once he get into the epl i glad because he is ah skillful youth

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 06:59:53 PM »
In all my years supporting Spurs I've never been ashamed of my club until this moment.

Spurs management are a disgrace.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 07:14:39 PM »
In all my years supporting Spurs I've never been ashamed of my club until this moment.

Spurs management are a disgrace.

I feel your pain as well.

But on the Ramos front.. I was never comfortable with him. Redknapp... same boat - me eh like he and can't see the "good" of this move.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2008, 08:14:04 PM »
That was coming.  Spurs exercised a lot of patience, compared to their traditional pattern of sacking.  They really wanted Ramos, but the pressure was on Levy.  It ain't work for Ramos, but he ain't going to be the first manager that has failed in another country.  He could bounce back  (Watch Jol with Hamburg).  Next stop for Ramos: Atletico Madrid....Yuh heard it here.. ;)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 10:17:38 PM »
That was coming.  Spurs exercised a lot of patience, compared to their traditional pattern of sacking.  They really wanted Ramos, but the pressure was on Levy.  It ain't work for Ramos, but he ain't going to be the first manager that has failed in another country.  He could bounce back  (Watch Jol with Hamburg).  Next stop for Ramos: Atletico Madrid....Yuh heard it here.. ;)

Yeah, dahis de talk. Both clubs are clubs ah have ah ting wid ... the shite is Ramos assembled a group at White Hart Lane that always raised questions in my mind (ah dealing with the summer acquisitions mainly) whereas Aguirre attempted to consolidate from last season but the team still had a gap here and there (IMV made none the better by buying Coupet) ... so Ramos might be coming into a better situation than he's exiting ... that said, ah sorry to see meh CONCACAF horse exit if it come to that ... steupes ... Sven wouldnah geh de wuk if Aguirre didn't have short to medium term plans for Atletico.

As for Spurs ... ah feeling de sentiment expressed by PantherX and company ... wonder if de Beckham "offer" is transferable to White Hart Lane in lieu of Milan ... pure tears.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 10:19:26 PM by asylumseeker »

giggsy11

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2008, 12:10:24 AM »

Yeah, dahis de talk. Both clubs are clubs ah have ah ting wid ... the shite is Ramos assembled a group at White Hart Lane that always raised questions in my mind (ah dealing with the summer acquisitions mainly) whereas Aguirre attempted to consolidate from last season but the team still had a gap here and there (IMV made none the better by buying Coupet) ... so Ramos might be coming into a better situation than he's exiting ... that said, ah sorry to see meh CONCACAF horse exit if it come to that ... steupes ... Sven wouldnah geh de wuk if Aguirre didn't have short to medium term plans for Atletico.

As for Spurs ... ah feeling de sentiment expressed by PantherX and company ... wonder if de Beckham "offer" is transferable to White Hart Lane in lieu of Milan ... pure tears.

Ramos did not assemble that time. That would be the Daniel Levy, I believe he did not have a lot say regarding who left and who came.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2008, 12:16:33 AM »
England striker Jermain Defoe was also sold last January to Redknapp's Portsmouth.

Tottenham splashed out about £60m on the likes of Croatia midfielder Luka Modric, England winger David Bentley, Russia striker Roman Pavlyuchenko and Brazilian goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes.

This real confuffling my head...if yuh had players of the calibre of Defoe, Keane, Berbatov and that crazyass Mido... why would you sell proven scorers and quality players who have all and continue to make a mark in the Premier League and the envy of all the other teams work more than 60 million.  Instead, you go out and buy a set of players who have not proved there worth in the Premier league or rather who have only had a few games under there belt.   Added to that, you got rid of Jol who was actually doing a pretty good job under the circumstances....

Who is making these decisions(d board cant be serious)- even ah blind mind wont sell the players they have sold over the summer...now yuh hope that Harry Krishna will come in...and bring the ship back on course...I just dont get it....
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 02:31:34 AM »
If Harry is smart...one a de fuss tings he should do is bring Adel Taarabt back into de first team .

Guess we'll see how that goes.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 06:47:03 AM »

just saw phil mcnutty of BBC mentioning Big Sam or Avaram Grant as Redknaps possible replacement.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 07:22:44 AM »
Ramos is a good coach but it is unfortunate that Spurs are a crap organization. Just look at how they sold their strike force on the eve of the League opening and had no plan for replacements. Spurs hiding behind coach after coach, someone have to sit back and say "wait nah maybe the fault is somewhere else."
On another front the EPL needs to reconsider its policy. You have a window for the intro of players but none for coaches. How could Harry or any manager for that matter just leave his team and walk into another team. If the policy was different, it would give managers time to work and clubs will have to think things through before decisions are made.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 08:39:27 AM »
On another front the EPL needs to reconsider its policy. You have a window for the intro of players but none for coaches. How could Harry or any manager for that matter just leave his team and walk into another team. If the policy was different, it would give managers time to work and clubs will have to think things through before decisions are made.

Interesting .... but if a player playing sh!t .... you could always drop him from the first squad and send him to reserves - if your manager constantly making wrong deicisions in training, preparation, team selection, tactics, etc .... is not like they could drop him til he regain some form. If results are what coaches are judged on - then there is much less tolerance for failure from a coach, versus a player ... hence the ability to make them dispensible without a moment's notice.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2008, 08:41:26 AM »
once spurs doh find thier fight against arsenal next week i glad

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2008, 08:56:33 AM »

Ramos did not assemble that time. That would be the Daniel Levy, I believe he did not have a lot say regarding who left and who came.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/oct/25/premier-league-tottenham-hotspur

However, I think Ramos was instrumental re: dos Santos.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 09:02:43 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2008, 09:38:02 AM »

Interesting .... but if a player playing sh!t .... you could always drop him from the first squad and send him to reserves - if your manager constantly making wrong deicisions in training, preparation, team selection, tactics, etc .... is not like they could drop him til he regain some form. If results are what coaches are judged on - then there is much less tolerance for failure from a coach, versus a player ... hence the ability to make them dispensible without a moment's notice.

Ok! Then look at Italy. If you sack a coach in Italy during the Seria A season (which you have the right to do), you cannot hire a coach that is presently employed in the Seria A. Again clubs have to think hard on decisions and also they do not disrupt other clubs.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2008, 09:46:25 AM »

Ok! Then look at Italy. If you sack a coach in Italy during the Seria A season (which you have the right to do), you cannot hire a coach that is presently employed in the Seria A. Again clubs have to think hard on decisions and also they do not disrupt other clubs.

is that regardless if you have permission from the current employer to speak with the coach?

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2008, 10:28:26 AM »
ok ... so Ramos get fired less than 24 hours ago ... and Hotspurs received permission to talk to HK yesterday. I know HK was announced as the coach LAST NITE.

So how the hell he on the sideline ALREADY?!?!

http://livefooty.doctor-serv.com/sun26.10/Tottenham_Bolton.html

Spurs looking like they will get 3 points.

giggsy11

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2008, 02:19:06 PM »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2008/oct/25/premier-league-tottenham-hotspur

However, I think Ramos was instrumental re: dos Santos.

Reading that article just points out the reasons why certain teams have been more successful in the league than others. To much meddling and undermining by people who wear suites. Anyway I doh think any team that relies on a midget, one dimensional player like Aaron Lennon deserve tuh get zero results and like it!

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2008, 02:23:03 PM »

Hmm i doh know what to say bout all dat yes..but we shall see what happens...but i dont think this is good for Hyland

giggsy11

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2008, 02:31:23 PM »
Ramos is a good coach but it is unfortunate that Spurs are a crap organization. Just look at how they sold their strike force on the eve of the League opening and had no plan for replacements. Spurs hiding behind coach after coach, someone have to sit back and say "wait nah maybe the fault is somewhere else."

Yeah ah tink dat is messed up Arry just walk out on the team so. One day he here next day he gone, loyalty my arse! Dey should just not give people contracts any more cause nobody seems to honor dem.

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2008, 05:25:04 PM »
 My problem with this whole episode is that we went through the same thing with .  MJ gave a list of players he wanted, mostnoatably a centre-back and left-winger and insted was given another foward (when we already had Defoe, Keane and Berbatov and midfielder (to add to our established legion).

Jol started the season with aplayers he didn't want, performance suffered and he got sacked.  Then we brought in Ramos and we did the same $4!t all over again!!

The only silver lining in all this is that we finally got rid of that damned DOF position.

Offline sweetiepaper

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 08:58:50 AM »

Hmm i doh know what to say bout all dat yes..but we shall see what happens...but i dont think this is good for Hyland

Unless Redknapp had really liked Hyland and pull him into his Spurs plans, other than that, I feel is hardluck for the Porstmouth move. That real sad. Timing boy timing.
"Sweetiepaper does be all over de place"

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 01:25:58 PM »
who is Harry Redknapp obeah woman?

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »
Great Result

for Man Utd  ;)
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

1]; } ?>