April 29, 2024, 04:17:29 AM

Author Topic: Bust it like Beckham - Donovan ready to go  (Read 5097 times)

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bust it like Beckham - Donovan ready to go
« on: October 27, 2008, 09:50:22 AM »
...and the MLS exodus continues.

movement of footballing people.

http://digg.com/soccer/Landon_Donovan_Ready_to_Ditch_MLS_Sprechen_Sie_Deutsch_Ja

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Bust it like Beckham - Donovan ready to go
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 10:14:41 AM »
interesting his comments on the salary differences in the MLS. i think him going to europe will be good for him and a big loss to the MLS. now them Americans wont have anyone to identify with when they looking at the MLS.
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 10:17:21 AM »

http://digg.com/soccer/Landon_Donovan_Ready_to_Ditch_MLS_Sprechen_Sie_Deutsch_Ja

Dat train tuh Europe done leave like two-three years ago.  Even if he hitch ah ride and reach he ent have no game tuh take wid him dis time.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 10:19:34 AM »
Caught a little of the Galaxy vs FC Dallas game on the weekend (turned off with Dallas winning 2-1 and 15 mins to go) and thought at the time that Donovan didn't look particularly interested. This was before the you posted this info, I had put it down to being the last game of the season....but you never can tell.

Also, thought Beckam was the clear class player on the field, hitting passes all over the place, setting up numerous oppertunities. Having said that, after seeing that recent Goal.com article on where the MLS is in comparison to the Premiership, Beckham would never have got the time and space he got for the Galaxy in the Premiership. I don't watch MLS games much, but it was a sureal experience watching that game. There was a lot of hustle dispite it being the last game for the galaxy, yet as soon as Beckham and to a lesser extent Donovan got the ball I kept getting the feeling ah was watchin a practice game. Class players or lack of quality?

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »
i wonder if fulham go take a chance on yet another yank?

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 10:31:57 AM »
i wonder if fulham go take a chance on yet another yank?

"With the exception of (Brad)Friedel, nothing special but cheap and hard grafters" was how I heard yank's discribed on Sky's football phone-in once. (Doh know where that description leaves Adu or Beasley though!!) Since Tigana left Fulham that is pretty much all Fulham been buying so why not. Donovan could offer ah bit more to them than Dempsey, all depends on if the MLS doh ask too much fuh him.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 11:11:54 AM »
... I don't watch MLS games much, but it was a sureal experience watching that game. There was a lot of hustle dispite it being the last game for the galaxy, yet as soon as Beckham and to a lesser extent Donovan got the ball I kept getting the feeling ah was watchin a practice game. Class players or lack of quality?

Probably a bit of both.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 11:28:54 AM »
Donovan still good enough to play in Europe (don't sleep on the player).  He will be a better player when surrounded by higher quality players.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 11:43:01 AM »
Diva Donovan
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »
i'm not the biggest fan of donovan as a person but he's a good player and some teams in europe - even the prem - can definitely use a player like him. it'd require him to step up to a faster-paced, more physical game but I think he has enough game to be premiership quality

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 12:43:03 PM »

Dat train tuh Europe done leave like two-three years ago.  Even if he hitch ah ride and reach he ent have no game tuh take wid him dis time.

Nah I disagree ..... he hasn't lost his pace and let's face it he has had his best season this year. I like to think his head finally together enough to deal with the pressure of playing in europe. If he aint do it this time he need to get off at the next stop and get his ass back to the MLS....The American association has sheltered his ass enough...time to sink or float!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Nah I disagree ..... he hasn't lost his pace and let's face it he has had his best season this year. I like to think his head finally together enough to deal with the pressure of playing in europe. If he aint do it this time he need to get off at the next stop and get his ass back to the MLS....The American association has sheltered his ass enough...time to sink or float!

All Donovan has at this point is pace.  If there is something else, some other tangible skill that sets him apart from the rest of the players heading to/playing in Europe then please share.  There was a time when he was still young enough and his game raw that he could have gone to Europe and develop his game.  Kinda hard to bend dat tree now that it done grow... he has no more upside to his game and aside from pace (which is only 'special' by American standards) then he ent really bringing anything to the table.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 01:01:21 PM »

All Donovan has at this point is pace.  If there is something else, some other tangible skill that sets him apart from the rest of the players heading to/playing in Europe then please share.  There was a time when he was still young enough and his game raw that he could have gone to Europe and develop his game.  Kinda hard to bend dat tree now that it done grow... he has no more upside to his game and aside from pace (which is only 'special' by American standards) then he ent really bringing anything to the table.

Bakes the truth is most of the players out there right now are not so outrageously talented that he is unable to fit in . He has descent dribbling skill and control and he displays a sound understanding of the game he slows it up ..he seems to be thinking about the game more. Is he is an outrageously talented player ... NO ..in fact I've always found him overrated and above all sheltered ...wether or not I do think he is good enough to do well in europe I think he is .... but at the end of the day its not skill that will make him succeed but rather desire and hunger....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 01:58:44 PM »
Bakes the truth is most of the players out there right now are not so outrageously talented that he is unable to fit in . He has descent dribbling skill and control and he displays a sound understanding of the game he slows it up ..he seems to be thinking about the game more. Is he is an outrageously talented player ... NO ..in fact I've always found him overrated and above all sheltered ...wether or not I do think he is good enough to do well in europe I think he is .... but at the end of the day its not skill that will make him succeed but rather desire and hunger....

Hunger alone won't get you onto the pitch.  Besides, I doh think he any hungrier than some third world player playing on their first professional contract... or playing for the first time outside their home country.

But we'll see.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 02:44:31 PM »

I think Donovan has more than just pace. From what I can tell, he seems to have good technique and can use both feet. He can finish, and can run all day when motivated. But he definitely stunted his development by crying his way out of Europe twice, although it was probably for the best gven his mental state. last chance for him. If he is a quick learner, he will do well cuz he has the tools to put in a useful shift at a decent UEFA Cup level team. I doh think plenty of them ballers who doing well in Europe all that special (relative to a player like Landon that is). he needs to fall into a team that plays to his strengths and have a coaching staff that believes in him. I guessing that is 90% of the recipe for success right there

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 03:07:22 PM »
i'm not the biggest fan of donovan as a person but he's a good player and some teams in europe - even the prem - can definitely use a player like him. it'd require him to step up to a faster-paced, more physical game but I think he has enough game to be premiership quality

I'm curious as to what you know about Donovan as a person....

Agreed he's a good footballer who can be a valuable journeyman type for a mid table team in Europe. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »
I think Donovan has more than just pace. From what I can tell, he seems to have good technique and can use both feet. He can finish, and can run all day when motivated. But he definitely stunted his development by crying his way out of Europe twice, although it was probably for the best gven his mental state. last chance for him. If he is a quick learner, he will do well cuz he has the tools to put in a useful shift at a decent UEFA Cup level team. I doh think plenty of them ballers who doing well in Europe all that special (relative to a player like Landon that is). he needs to fall into a team that plays to his strengths and have a coaching staff that believes in him. I guessing that is 90% of the recipe for success right there

Which team going and build around... or focus their offense on Donovan at this point?  He going Europe for going Europe sake... to play with some low-level team?  We'll see what the market says... but call me a skeptic at this point.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 04:01:45 PM »

I'm curious as to what you know about Donovan as a person....

Agreed he's a good footballer who can be a valuable journeyman type for a mid table team in Europe. 

not like i know him personally but his tantrums about being left on the bench too frequently at leverkusen did not sit well with me. he cried his way out of europe and i felt at that time he was being too immature. i didn't mean to cast aspersions on his character but i was merely referring to what i perceived to be immaturity earlier in his career.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 04:06:14 PM »

Which team going and build around... or focus their offense on Donovan at this point?  He going Europe for going Europe sake... to play with some low-level team?  We'll see what the market says... but call me a skeptic at this point.

I don't think Filho quite said a team NEEDS to build their offense around Donovan or focus their offense on Donovan. He said a team that plays to his strengths - which really isn't unreasonable. Not every style of football will be right for him but I don't think that disqualifies him from being a good player at some decently competitive club in europe

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 04:56:04 PM »

I don't think Filho quite said a team NEEDS to build their offense around Donovan or focus their offense on Donovan. He said a team that plays to his strengths - which really isn't unreasonable. Not every style of football will be right for him but I don't think that disqualifies him from being a good player at some decently competitive club in europe

I can read... thanks.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2008, 05:02:26 PM »

I can read... thanks.

that was quite unnecessary.

i thought you were distorting a point Filho made and was countering your argument. i didn't ask whether you could read or not but if you insist on flippant one-liners on a "discussion forum" then i'll leave you to it.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2008, 06:13:45 PM »

i thought you were distorting a point Filho made and was countering your argument. i didn't ask whether you could read or not but if you insist on flippant one-liners on a "discussion forum" then i'll leave you to it.

It's not about being flippant... I'm just not sure why you felt it necessary to interpret Filho's statements for me... I never said that Filho said a team "needed" to do anything.  "quite unnecessary"... was my thought.

I'm not sure what 'distortion' you're talking about... Filho stated a finite set of circumstances he felt would be most suitable to Donovan succeeding in Europe.  Donovan already has a number of strikes against him, not the least of which being his age and the fact that he's coming from a sub-par league.  To find the 'right' situation would be quite a challenge as he's no 'star' that many teams would be as accommodating as to present a scenario as Filho suggests.  Under those circumstances seems to me that his opportunities would be very limited... how many teams will be willing to afford him that degree of deference as Filho suggest would be required?

Maybe now that I've indulged you with more than just one line you'll understand why I felt your statements were themselves tangential.

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 06:51:33 PM »
Plenty Trinis does cry down Donovan because he doh seem to have a likeable personality or his game isn't tailored to please us. I see with my own 2 eye de man play good solid games against big teams...yes big teams...in de WORLD CUP. De man have decent pace and is better technically than we care to admit. At 26 he definitely in he prime physically, so ah can't see him not being able to compete physically. I see de man play good football regularly against Mexico and handle heself against de same Germans that said he couldn't play in dey stinkin Bundesliga. All kinda shithound does start regular in Germany and I see no reason why he should accept bench as a young American when he could make good money in he homeland. Barcelona and Manchester yes, maybe even Bayern Munich back in de day, but not that no name squad he was with.  Ah cyah see him as a big star, but there is no reason to say that he can't do well in Europe at this point. He may not end up doing well for whatever reason, but I am 100% convinced that there are valuable players in the Premiership operating with less tools than Donovan. Ah also see him play some shit by de way     ;D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 06:54:38 PM by Fantastic »
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 08:42:20 PM »
Donovan still good enough to play in Europe (don't sleep on the player).  He will be a better player coming off the bench again, like he was at Leverkusen, when surrounded by higher quality players.

Blessings

....fixed it for ya!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 11:28:53 PM by Mango Chow! »

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2008, 10:07:45 PM »

It's not about being flippant... I'm just not sure why you felt it necessary to interpret Filho's statements for me... I never said that Filho said a team "needed" to do anything.  "quite unnecessary"... was my thought.

I'm not sure what 'distortion' you're talking about... Filho stated a finite set of circumstances he felt would be most suitable to Donovan succeeding in Europe.  Donovan already has a number of strikes against him, not the least of which being his age and the fact that he's coming from a sub-par league.  To find the 'right' situation would be quite a challenge as he's no 'star' that many teams would be as accommodating as to present a scenario as Filho suggests.  Under those circumstances seems to me that his opportunities would be very limited... how many teams will be willing to afford him that degree of deference as Filho suggest would be required?

Maybe now that I've indulged you with more than just one line you'll understand why I felt your statements were themselves tangential.

Donovan still has age on his side man.  He's no spring chicken but 26 is good age.  I give him 6 more years of good form barring injury...that's 2 more world cups.

Donovan did himself no favors by staying in the U.S. for so long, but I wouldn't write off the chances of a decent career in Europe.  He is a technically gifted baller with good break away speed and an eye for the net.  I think the biggest adjustment for him will be recognizing that unlike at the Galaxy he might have to assume more of role player capacity depending on where he lands up. If he does this well and stays fit he'll be fine.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2008, 10:39:01 PM »

I didn't mean that any team would have to accommodate him. I'd expect the situation to more likely arise from a combination of 1) good fortune and 2) good judgement. When Pires left Arsenal, he had offers from bigger teams yet chose Villareal. Some eyebrows were raised. Now its clear that Pires made a wise choice. I think he made the choice of a player who understood where he was at in his career and what he could contribute to the team (granted Villareal was not a middling team, but its the best analogy I can come up with at this late hour..heheh). But nothing is guaranteed, so it is also with good fortune that things clicked so well for him at Villareal. I don't think the squad changed for Pires. In many ways, Donovan is in the same situation. He needs to carefully pick his spot from the options available. Not sure how much interest there will be, but he lost the chance to chase the biggest money, or biggest challenge and risk riding pine while he develops. Donavon needs to be more mature/realistic in his decision and then also hope for the best - hope that he can build that chemistry with his teammates that brings out his best qualities on the pitch

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2008, 11:37:48 PM »

Donovan still has age on his side man.  He's no spring chicken but 26 is good age.  I give him 6 more years of good form barring injury...that's 2 more world cups.

Donovan did himself no favors by staying in the U.S. for so long, but I wouldn't write off the chances of a decent career in Europe.  He is a technically gifted baller with good break away speed and an eye for the net.  I think the biggest adjustment for him will be recognizing that unlike at the Galaxy he might have to assume more of role player capacity depending on where he lands up. If he does this well and stays fit he'll be fine.

Is 26 realistically a good age though for a player whose best asset is his speed, to being only now going to Europe to establish himself?  See I doh really see Donovan as a "technically gifted" baller... to be honest not that I know what dat mean.  I assume ah man who know how to execute the fundamentals, kick, trap and pass efficiently.  Having seen nuff of his games the past 6-7 yrs I would say his touch is adequate, passing so-so... he foot hard enough (although only he and he alone think he's ah free kick specialist eh, lol).  I dunno I doh really think "technically gifted" when I think of Donovan... I more think "hit ah man ah belt and chase de ball".

I didn't mean that any team would have to accommodate him. I'd expect the situation to more likely arise from a combination of 1) good fortune and 2) good judgement. When Pires left Arsenal, he had offers from bigger teams yet chose Villareal. Some eyebrows were raised. Now its clear that Pires made a wise choice. I think he made the choice of a player who understood where he was at in his career and what he could contribute to the team (granted Villareal was not a middling team, but its the best analogy I can come up with at this late hour..heheh). But nothing is guaranteed, so it is also with good fortune that things clicked so well for him at Villareal. I don't think the squad changed for Pires. In many ways, Donovan is in the same situation. He needs to carefully pick his spot from the options available. Not sure how much interest there will be, but he lost the chance to chase the biggest money, or biggest challenge and risk riding pine while he develops. Donavon needs to be more mature/realistic in his decision and then also hope for the best - hope that he can build that chemistry with his teammates that brings out his best qualities on the pitch

Yeah but see Pires was a proven commodity... he played on arguably the highest professional level... not so with Donovan.  Mind you I not trying to pick apart yuh analogy, I don't expect you to come up with a perfect one, I hear the point yuh making and agree with the luck part, lol.  Allyuh men know me, I probably give Donovan more props on dis site dan anybody in de short time I've been on here.... so I ent crying him down, wish him luck in fact.

Like yuh say doh, to find that situation would talk a lot of luck and some good judgment (sinned86 this point that Filho getting at, is what I was responding to).  In my mind it go take real luck to find that 'right' club, and with young players from other parts of the world available (maybe even cheaper) I doh really see clubs pursuing him like that.  The 'good judgment' part I infer to mean he'd have to choose his situation wisely... I juss dunno if he'd have dat many options.

Like ah said earlier though, it remains to be seen what the market for him looks like (I think in the original article he's more expressing a desire to play in Europe, rather than responding to feelers from teams).

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2008, 08:21:10 AM »

Is 26 realistically a good age though for a player whose best asset is his speed, to being only now going to Europe to establish himself?  See I doh really see Donovan as a "technically gifted" baller... to be honest not that I know what dat mean.  I assume ah man who know how to execute the fundamentals, kick, trap and pass efficiently.  Having seen nuff of his games the past 6-7 yrs I would say his touch is adequate, passing so-so... he foot hard enough (although only he and he alone think he's ah free kick specialist eh, lol).  I dunno I doh really think "technically gifted" when I think of Donovan... I more think "hit ah man ah belt and chase de ball".

LOL... The few times that I've paid attention to him, I've been impressed by Donovan's first touch, and his ability to strike the ball well (both pass & shoot) with both feet....technically gifted? oh ok I guess all things being relative yuh could argue either way...

I think 26 is ok...doesn't have the luxury of the teenagers and early 20's men who could afford to struggle a bit to find their footing- he will have to hit the ground running (for someone who's been playing professionally since his teens including 2 world cups I think it's possible).....  At age 26 yuh have to think that some of your best years are still ahead of you if you could manage to stay injury free.

I don't expect Donovan to light up Europe, but if I were a manager of say Middlesborough, Blackburn, Hull city, Wigan, Fulham for e.g. , I'd give him an honest look....

Offline TRUwarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2008, 10:39:58 AM »
but i now hear ah report on E! that Posh SPice signin ah big contract tuh star in ah reality series in Italy
so i feel we eh seein Becks in LA again

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2008, 10:52:20 AM »
Donovan posses very good technique, tactical awareness, speed and strength, and apparently he believes that he has finally developed the mental side. These attributes I believe are good enough to play in Europe. The one thing Donovan never really learn by playing in the MLS because he never really had to was creating room for himself in the middle of the field. The space he creates for himself would not be enough and quick enough playing in Europe. As a MF or WMF or AMF he should have learned or taught this, but there never really existeda need for him to develop this skill set in the MLS.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>