April 26, 2024, 08:22:20 AM

Author Topic: El Fenômeno - Ronaldo  (Read 31842 times)

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
El Fenômeno - Ronaldo
« on: October 28, 2008, 08:25:51 PM »
still the greatest Ronaldo ever!!!

Ronaldo: "I couldn't have gotten fatter" Posted by Ramon Aranda on 10.28.2008

The Brazilian star has almost recovered from his knee injury.

Photo by AFP

Brazilian striker Ronaldo put on so much weight while he was injured this year that he was running out of clothes that fit him, he said on Tuesday.

The 32-year-old free agent has almost fully recovered from a career-threatening knee injury suffered in February and said he had been working hard to get back in shape and still dreamed of a national team recall.

"I couldn't have got any fatter, I was running out of clothes," Ronaldo said in an interview. "Everything on the table is nice but it makes you put on weight. Losing weight is the most difficult part."

Ronaldo has been on a rehabilitation programme at Brazilian club Flamengo since August and training with the team.

"I'm making great sacrifices and, yes, I still dream about the national team," said Ronaldo, who has not played for Brazil since the FIFA World Cup Germany 2006™ where he scored three goals. "The national team is part of my life, I have an incredible history, of many conquests and also many defeats.

"But to play for Brazil, I have to have a club and play well. I'm not going to be picked on my past or because of my sponsor, as many have said."

Tendon Rupture

Ronaldo ruptured a tendon in his left knee during a Serie A game for AC Milan against Livorno in February and was initially expected to be out for at least nine months.

The striker, who came under fire for appearing to be overweight at the 2006 finals, went on to criticise his team's preparations for the tournament in Germany.

Brazil were hot favorites for the title but were knocked out in the quarter-finals by France after a lacklustre campaign.

They spent two weeks warming up for the tournament in the Swiss lakeside village of Weggis, where each training session was watched by a crowd of about 15,000 screaming fans at a specially-constructed arena.

"We had 15 days, a reasonable period of time, but the preparation was a circus," he said. "We didn't have any structure to protect us and it took more than an hour to get to training. There was a lack of organisation.

"Every day, in the morning and in the afternoon, we had 15,000 people shouting in our ears. But I didn't hear anyone say that the preparation sucked. There was no way it could have worked."

Credit: Reuters
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: El Fenômeno - Ronaldo
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:26:54 PM »
i worried for this man.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:44:38 PM »
only de greats make it back ... Jordan, Ali, Diego, Lance armstrong,hasley crawford gene samuel, now who or what is he ?

giggsy11

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 07:52:06 PM »
only de greats make it back ... Jordan, Ali, Diego, Lance armstrong,hasley crawford gene samuel, now who or what is he ?

Only the greats who can't let go make come backs! That is why I will always respect the great Marvin Marvelous Hagler, walked and kept walking!

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 08:16:43 PM »

Only the greats who can't let go make come backs! That is why I will always respect the great Marvin Marvelous Hagler, walked and kept walking!

Dont forget Zinedine
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 08:49:23 PM »

Jai press brakes...Diego's comeback doesn't compare to the greatness of Ronaldo's comeback....Yuh forget that when Ronaldo played in WC 2002 (and top scored....scoring more goals than anyone had scored in a World Cup since 1974.... ahem ).... he was coming off 2 operations and and 2 and a half years....yes 2 and a half years of zero competitive football (unless you want to count 7 minutes of action where he re-injured himself)....

...You want to talk come backs? ....please. Ronaldo is the definition of comeback.

The best football player to have ever played the game- Ronaldo.  The only out and out goal scorer with the individual brilliance of a creative player....

Ronaldo doh need to comeback again to be great.... Unless yuh memory real short and yuh prone to gettin' caught up in the "fat man" hype...the man is a legend as is.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 09:04:19 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:55:15 PM »

somebody didn't watch WC 2002. didn't realize the golden boot came back from 2 season ending knee opertions and two years away from the game. Dat is comeback and he is already one of the game's greats.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 09:43:52 PM »

Jai just because he is not an argentine doesn't mean he is not great. If you want to count diego heavy drug use in his comeback as great then go right ahead.  Ronaldo has achieved stuff that 99% of footballers will never achieve.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 10:28:46 PM »
Will alway have my respect after he came back from d drama of 98 2 starr in 02
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 11:48:15 PM »
Ronaldo have rel belly!! (no pun intended) I was a little harsh on him in '06, but I have to retract my sentiment.  To come back, time after time after time from the painful, debilitating injuries that he has, both from a mental and physical perspective takes lots of courage.   I would never knock this man for trying too hard or too often to make a comeback.     

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 04:54:07 AM »

Jai press brakes...Diego's comeback doesn't compare to the greatness of Ronaldo's comeback....Yuh forget that when Ronaldo played in WC 2002 (and top scored....scoring more goals than anyone had scored in a World Cup since 1974.... ahem ).... he was coming off 2 operations and and 2 and a half years....yes 2 and a half years of zero competitive football (unless you want to count 7 minutes of action where he re-injured himself)....

...You want to talk come backs? ....please. Ronaldo is the definition of comeback.

The best football player to have ever played the game- Ronaldo.  The only out and out goal scorer with the individual brilliance of a creative player....

Ronaldo doh need to comeback again to be great.... Unless yuh memory real short and yuh prone to gettin' caught up in the "fat man" hype...the man is a legend as is.

Now I couldn't have said it any better :applause: ...I really couldnt

I can't believe that people could still fight down Ronaldo. The man is a legend...A healthy Ronaldo is the best forward ever. The funny thing is that even with all the operations and comebacks I still expect him to perform. I hope he can find somewhere to play his football up until he is ready to leave the game.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 05:01:00 AM »

Jai just because he is not an argentine doesn't mean he is not great. If you want to count diego heavy drug use in his comeback as great then go right ahead.  Ronaldo has achieved stuff that 99% of footballers will never achieve.

before yuh jump on any horse here ..why you tink I feel a man have to be argentinian to be great ? which one ah lance armstrong, Mohammed Ali, Gene samuel Michael Jordan or Hasley is argentinian ?
My point was , and you will see from de examples, de great ones doh just come back dey come back better !!!
You ever hear bout Cassius Clay ? well he was undefeated as a heavyweight boxer ...never lost a pro fight ! yet Ali was greater ! Jordan , before his injury was unstoppable in college , the world's best they said , he could do anything.. yet he won more titles after his comeback...
Diego got his foot broken in Spain after winning the world youth Cup ..he was unstoppable , lightening fast and with youth on his side ...yet the older wiser Diego with pins in his ankles is the more famous..I could go on but I think you get de message ...
I never said Ronaldo did not " achieve stuff " I was merely begging the question of whether there are greater things  to come !
Just for your info ...when Villareal played Atletico last week and drew 4-4 , it was atletico who had the argentinian players ( franco, Kun, banega, pernia,etc. ) ...yet everyone knows I back the yellow submarine, one of only three teams in the top leagues in europe which is so far unbeaten in league competition... manchester United, AC milan, real madrid and barcelona are not among this list.
get the picture ?

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 05:04:52 AM »

I can't believe that people could still fight down Ronaldo. The man is a legend...A healthy Ronaldo is the best forward ever. The funny thing is that even with all the operations and comebacks I still expect him to perform. I hope he can find somewhere to play his football up until he is ready to leave the game.

nobody eh fighting down Ronaldo but doh get carried away here ....go and look at some Pele videos then come back and repeat what you just write dey ! ..while you are at it try to get some George Best and di stefano and puskas tapes ...
dais ah sweeping statement you make dere ..I eh supportin you on dat !

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 05:07:15 AM »
i worried for this man.

I feel he has not yet realised his full potential ...just my view ....he eh in de class of Romario yet ..not in my book. ..but he still in it .yes ?

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 05:27:29 AM »

nobody eh fighting down Ronaldo but doh get carried away here ....go and look at some Pele videos then come back and repeat what you just write dey ! ..while you are at it try to get some George Best and di stefano and puskas tapes ...
I not knocking Pele and those aforementioned players but you tell me some Great defenders from Pele and Di Stefano time...I mean come on? Analyze the game on a whole. It faster, more physical, technical and tactical and guess what Ronaldo conquered all that. If anything can be said about Pele and dem fellas is that they helped shape the game and they deserve respect for that but in MY opinion Ronaldo is the best because he play in a harder era. Players like Pele would be almost normal now..Compare Ronaldo(Healthy) with any other forward in any aspect of striking...Finishing the best...Speed the best...Running off the ball the best...linking up with Midfielders the best...Dribbling at pace the best...Only heading he is not the best

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 05:38:33 AM »

I not knocking Pele and those aforementioned players but you tell me some Great defenders from Pele and Di Stefano time...I mean come on? Analyze the game on a whole. It faster, more physical, technical and tactical and guess what Ronaldo conquered all that. If anything can be said about Pele and dem fellas is that they helped shape the game and they deserve respect for that but in MY opinion Ronaldo is the best because he play in a harder era. Players like Pele would be almost normal now..Compare Ronaldo(Healthy) with any other forward in any aspect of striking...Finishing the best...Speed the best...Running off the ball the best...linking up with Midfielders the best...Dribbling at pace the best...Only heading he is not the best

What can I say ? ... you have expressed your view and I have mine ...

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 08:01:10 AM »

Jai you are fighting down Ronaldo, because you listed a bunch of "great" comebacks and ignored his.  Either your memory of Ronaldo is short, or you're fighting him down...... because in the game of football Ronaldo's comeback has to be considered one of the greatest.

I feel he has not yet realised his full potential ...just my view ....he eh in de class of Romario yet ..not in my book. ..but he still in it .yes ?

Not in the class of Romario based on what?

You talking about ability and achievements or just personal preference?  Because if it's personal preference then so be it, because they're different players with different styles and naturally one style will appeal to some more than the other.... but if it's the ability and achievements then I really don't see how you're gonna back that up...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:11:41 AM by kicker »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 08:27:48 AM »
Ronaldo is the greatest striker ever.
The only reason people may doubt is because he was injured for such long periods.
And that just means they doh understand what they were seein when he was healthy.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 08:32:08 AM »
i worried for this man.

not in the de calss of romario, jai yuh is ah fellah who have sensible post most of the time but don't let your love for argentina cloud your barin cells when it come to giving an honest opinion on ronaldo.  If I have to pick two forwards for my team (players in the last 20 years) it would be ronaldo and romario.

you talk about highlights of other players, you need to take your own advice and look at ronaldo because it is obvious u eh see him play a lot or yuh just doh like brazilians.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 11:26:24 AM »
I guess Defenders such as Beckenbauer, Vogts, Schellenger, Schulz, Charlton, Moore,  Fachetti, Rhan, Burgnich  Don't count  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 11:45:56 AM »
not in the de calss of romario, jai yuh is ah fellah who have sensible post most of the time but don't let your love for argentina cloud your barin cells when it come to giving an honest opinion on ronaldo.  If I have to pick two forwards for my team (players in the last 20 years) it would be ronaldo and romario.

you talk about highlights of other players, you need to take your own advice and look at ronaldo because it is obvious u eh see him play a lot or yuh just doh like brazilians.

Lissen.  Jai team does colleck LEVEL licks from Brazil in BIG MAN FOOTBALL.  World Cup, Copa America, you name it...is LICKS!  De man HATE Brazil dread.  Is so it does go when yuh only gettin beat up WHEN IT TRULY COUNT from yuh nemesis.

Jai come like Wile E Coyote and Brazil is he Road Runner... ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 12:09:15 PM »
i worried for this man.

You come like de guardian here man ..I eh readin you ! You talking bout forwards and my statement bout Romario surprises you ? Forwards score goals ..that's what earns them the big bucks ...that is why they earn more than other players .... goals win matches ...now how many career goals has Ronaldo scored again ? and Romario ..not counting those in the twilight of his career ?..and Pele ? who someone wanted  to fight down as well ...if yuh eh close to a 1000 doh even budder ! I eh saying Ronaldo was not good or that he might not get even better but he eh in dem fellas class as a goal poacher. I see someone even belittling Pele ...wayyyy !!! I hate Brazilians how come I all he name ! he is de greatest goalscorer in football history !!! in fact let me recommend " This is Pele " the man and his methods . ..and for those who want to say dat defenders weren't as good as now ..what can I say ..corbeau doh eat sponge cake !
...and as for Palos in any serious football talk ...he come like dem " G" class horse ...best left alone !

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 12:09:52 PM »

Dont forget Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 12:12:06 PM »
Ronaldo is the greatest striker ever.
The only reason people may doubt is because he was injured for such long periods.
And that just means they doh understand what they were seein when he was healthy.

Based on what ?? surely not goals scored, or artistic ability ? Ronaldo has been described as being more athletic than artistic and Pele ?? ..well go read the book . Greatest striker ever ??? that's kind of overboard dont you think ?

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »
jai

I not getting involved in who better than who. your opinion ks yours. but that talk about goals scored is kinda toos. Doh study that Romario record. De man real fudge goal and include all kinda practice match to reach 1,000. That is a fact. If you add Romario's official total senior goals tally to games played its 311 goals in 451 games.

For Ronaldo its 313 in 427. Ronaldo has a slightly better overall strike rate and better club record. Romario's senior national team strike rate is better than Ronaldo's....71 in 85 vs. 62 in 97. Then again, Ronaldo has far more World Cup and Copa America goals and some may say that matters more.

In driect comaprisons...as direct as you can get anyway..Romario has 98 goals in 109 appearances for PSV, compare dot Ronaldo's 42 in 46. Ronaldo with the slightly better strike rate. Romario scored 34 in 46 for Barca, while Ronaldo scored 34 on 37. So better strike rate for Ronaldo again.

This isn't the only criteria for determining who is the 'better' striker...but if you want to put so much emphasis on goals scored, there is very little separating the two, with Ronaldo statistically having a better overal strike rate.

respect

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 01:06:47 PM »

Lissen.  Jai team does colleck LEVEL licks from Brazil in BIG MAN FOOTBALL.  World Cup, Copa America, you name it...is LICKS!  De man HATE Brazil dread.  Is so it does go when yuh only gettin beat up WHEN IT TRULY COUNT from yuh nemesis.

Jai come like Wile E Coyote and Brazil is he Road Runner... ;D

Palos you have to tell dem fellas to get dey facts right yes ..look what dey write !

Since their first match in 1914, the national teams have played 93 matches counting friendlies, World Cup, and other official competitions (excluding matches between youth sides).

Even though there is a difference depending on whether the Argentine Football Association (AFA) or the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) does the counting, the near-balance is not in dispute. Of the 93 matches played between both national teams, 24 were draws, 35 were Brazilian victories and 34 for Argentina, with 149 goals for Argentina and 145 for Brazil. Only counting World Cup matches Brazil is ahead with 2 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss, whereas in the Copa América, Argentina has 15 victories, 8 draws and 9 defeats. Of 51 friendly matches, 21 were for Brazil, 16 for Argentina and 14 were draws. Since the first match between the two countries in 1914, the 1970s proved to be dark times for Argentina, with 6 defeats, 4 draws and no victories. Biggest wins are, for Argentina 6–1 (at home in Buenos Aires, 1940) and 1–5 (away at Rio de Janeiro, 1939), for Brazil 6–2 (at home in Rio de Janeiro, 1945 and 1960) and 1–4 (away at Buenos Aires, 1960).[2]

Argentina and Brazil's last continental final match took place on July 15, 2007 at Estadio José Pachencho Romero in Maracaibo, Venezuela and was the final match of Copa América 2007 which Brazil won by the score of 3-0. The first goal was scored by Júlio Baptista, while the second one was an own goal by Roberto Ayala after a pass attempt by Brazil's Daniel Alves, who also scored the last goal.

The latest match between the two teams was for the 2010 World Cup qualifiers held on June 18, 2008 in Belo Horizonte, Brazil. Both teams drew with a final score of 0-0.[3]

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 01:16:16 PM »
jai

I not getting involved in who better than who. your opinion ks yours. but that talk about goals scored is kinda toos. Doh study that Romario record. De man real fudge goal and include all kinda practice match to reach 1,000. That is a fact. If you add Romario's official total senior goals tally to games played its 311 goals in 451 games.

For Ronaldo its 313 in 427. Ronaldo has a slightly better overall strike rate and better club record. Romario's senior national team strike rate is better than Ronaldo's....71 in 85 vs. 62 in 97. Then again, Ronaldo has far more World Cup and Copa America goals and some may say that matters more.

In driect comaprisons...as direct as you can get anyway..Romario has 98 goals in 109 appearances for PSV, compare dot Ronaldo's 42 in 46. Ronaldo with the slightly better strike rate. Romario scored 34 in 46 for Barca, while Ronaldo scored 34 on 37. So better strike rate for Ronaldo again.

This isn't the only criteria for determining who is the 'better' striker...but if you want to put so much emphasis on goals scored, there is very little separating the two, with Ronaldo statistically having a better overal strike rate.

respect

Dis eh no Romario vs Ronaldo argument here breds ...I said in my view I prefer Romario as a striker to Ronaldo. most people  on dis forum know who I consider the best footballer. I said as well that Pele is the best striker ever as someone was labelling Ronaldo the best ever. Man say as an argentinian supporter i fighting down Ronaldo so i reminded that I named pele ( ahead of maradona ) as the best striker ever.
I read all kinda ting bout defenders in previous times being inferior. I am sure you know that forwrads did not have the protection they have today and defenders took no prisoners. I wonder how long the fatboy would have lasted when men played with their socks down and defenders had to threaten your life before dey got sent off ?
I counted 14 personal fouls by Claudio gentile on Maradona alone ...in de first half !!! ..in the WC before he got a yellow card ..and he rip down ardiles jersey in de same game yet finished that game so I eh go bother.
there is little to choose from between Romario and Ronaldo but I prefer Romario but for me neither can come close to Pele as a finisher.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 01:18:31 PM »
Argentina - Brazil is a deadlocked derby....it's pretty commonly known

Palos just tryin' tuh raise yuh blood pressure and yuh takin' the chain up real nice

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 01:37:33 PM »
Argentina - Brazil is a deadlocked derby....it's pretty commonly known

Palos just tryin' tuh raise yuh blood pressure and yuh takin' the chain up real nice

Nah I feel Palos get in de ting late and secretly want ah crash course...and I oblige when I can  :beermug:

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 02:24:59 PM »
jai

respect

Dis eh no Romario vs Ronaldo argument here breds ...I said in my view I prefer Romario as a striker to Ronaldo. most people  on dis forum know who I consider the best footballer. I said as well that Pele is the best striker ever as someone was labelling Ronaldo the best ever. Man say as an argentinian supporter i fighting down Ronaldo so i reminded that I named pele ( ahead of maradona ) as the best striker ever.
I read all kinda ting bout defenders in previous times being inferior. I am sure you know that forwrads did not have the protection they have today and defenders took no prisoners. I wonder how long the fatboy would have lasted when men played with their socks down and defenders had to threaten your life before dey got sent off ?
I counted 14 personal fouls by Claudio gentile on Maradona alone ...in de first half !!! ..in the WC before he got a yellow card ..and he rip down ardiles jersey in de same game yet finished that game so I eh go bother.
there is little to choose from between Romario and Ronaldo but I prefer Romario but for me neither can come close to Pele as a finisher.

Jai. Just playing devil's advocate. Don't care who yuh prefer. Yuh entitled to hold yuh opinion in peace, but yuh emphasize Romario superiority in your opinion, was in no small part due to his superior finishing. I just pull some stats that may infer that Ronaldo and Romario's finishing were on par..depending on what kinda stats you use (for example.. I could not provide shots on goal as a % of total shots).

Also as Devil's advocate..agreed that past players didn't get as much protection from refs, but the counter is that the game was far slower. There is a reason the fellas could play without shinguards. try that today and you will have a very very short career. Players today are bigger, stronger, better athletes. The game is faster and believe it or not, more cynical. And the skilled players still get targeted

1]; } ?>