March 28, 2024, 11:44:39 AM

Author Topic: 35 nominated Caribbean Awards Sports Icons.  (Read 10016 times)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
35 nominated Caribbean Awards Sports Icons.
« on: October 29, 2008, 04:13:10 AM »
35 nominated Caribbean Awards Sports Icons
Jamaica Observer.

Thirty-five Caribbean sports personalities were yesterday nominated to be honoured on November 7, 2008 at the Pegasus Hotel by the newly-formed Caribbean Awards Sports Icons (CASI).

The awards are based on accomplishments over the last 60 years between 1948 and 2008, for these persons who have made their mark in the various fields of sports.

Jamaicans dominated the list with more than 50 per cent of the nominees with 16, in the six categories including: Football, Boxing, Cricket, Athletics (Male & Female), Netball and Administrators.

The Jamaicans are: Merlene Ottey, Deon Hemmings, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Donald Quarrie, Bertland Cameron (Athletics); Lindy Delapenha, Theodore Whitmore and the surprised selection Robbie Earle (Football); Michael Holding, Courtney Walsh (Cricket); Patricia McDonald, Janet Johnson (Netball); Molly Rhone, Mike Fennell and Teddy McCook (Administrators).

Trinidad and Tobago has seven nominees in Dwight Yorke (Football); Brian Lara (Cricket); Leslie Stewart, Claude Noel (Boxing); Hasley Crawford (Athletics); Jennifer Frank (Netball) and Jack Warner (Administrator).

The Bahamas has four in Chandra Stirrup, Debbie Ferguson, Avard Moncur (Athletics) and Elisha Obed (Boxing).
Sir Gary Sobers (Cricket), Clyde Best (Football) and Gloria Ballentine (Administrator) are the three nominees from Barbados.

Guyana has two nominees in Clive Lloyd (Cricket) and Andrew Lewis (Boxing); the same as Cuba in Teophileo Stephenson (Boxing) and Alberto Jauntoreno (Athletics).
Sir Vivian Richards (Cricket) was the sole nominee from Antigua to complete the list.

Jamaican-born Al Hamilton, who resides in England and is the architect behind this initiative, said he expects at least 80 per cent of the nominees to be there in person, come November 7.

Hamilton added that he was pleased with the progress made since the idea was brought to the fore, and he noted that the entire Caribbean region is eagerly awaiting their turn to host what will from next year be an annual awards ceremony.
Hamilton, who is also the founder of the Commonwealth Sports Awards in London, said CASI is a non-profit organisation whose objectives are to preserve and highlight the rich sporting heritage of the Caribbean; educate the population in general and budding sports stars specifically about the legacy of our sports icons; fund and facilitate sports seminars, conferences and workshops geared at building the capacity of Caribbean athletes, officials and administrators; support development camps that will assist in the learning of the game fundamentals; help to engender cross country contacts and relationships between youth sports participants across the region.

Digicel, one of the sponsors of the event, said they are honoured to participate in celebrating our sporting icons.
Paula Pinnock-MacLeod, Digicel sports sponsoring manager, said her company is here "because we hold sports heroes in high regard".

"Sports is a crucial component of national progress. We recognised that sports represent a commitment to excellence," she noted. Members of the sports media fraternity, national Olympic committees and national federations across the region were integral in the selection of the nominees.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:20:47 AM by Flex »
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Caribbean Sports Awards
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 05:35:50 AM »
Dey coulda give we boi Ato a award too
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 35 nominated Caribbean Awards Sports Icons.
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:36:53 AM »
"Jamaican-born Al Hamilton, who resides in England and is the architect behind this initiative"

wonder why 50% dominated by the Ja's...

Ato def. deserves a spot there, not to mention Latapy should get some respect too...
whey boy!

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 07:50:22 AM »
Robbie Earle ??? This is already a joke.Clyde Best is from Bermuda not Barbados.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 08:25:24 AM »
Robbie Earle ??? This is already a joke.Clyde Best is from Bermuda not Barbados.

Robbie Earle and Theodore Whitmore are the only Caribbean players to have scored at the world cup, so those two selections are justified. Lindy Delaphena was the first black player I believe to play top flight football in the UK...first from teh caribben definately. Yorke is the most accomplished Caribbean footballer at club level, again, that selection was a no brianer.

Clyde Best is beiong confused with Carlyle Best the barbadian cricketer.

If Usain bolt is not on the list, no Way Ato was going to make it.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:28:15 AM by reggae-fan »

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 08:30:12 AM »

Robbie Earle and Theodore Whitmore are the only Caribbean players to have scored at the world cup, so those two selections are justified. Lindy Delaphena was the first black player I believe to play top flight football in the UK...first from teh caribben definately. Yorke is the most accomplished Caribbean footballer at club level, again, that selection was a no brianer.

Clyde Best is beiong confused with Carlyle Best the barbadian cricketer.

Really?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Sanon

or

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_World_Cup_1938
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:31:59 AM by theworm2345 »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:37:24 AM »
robbie earl piss on dem after de world cup....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 09:07:52 AM »
robbie earl piss on dem after de world cup....

Earle went to the world cup mainly because of his experience. Its was hardly likely that he was going to play for Jamaica much after that, at age 35. He is a player I have much respect for.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:19:49 AM »
earle good but no latapy...esp considering his achievements, nominated for FIFA World player of the year

as for Ato he deserves it, if quarrie is there so should he...same olympic medal count.

usain is still too young, let him get through his career before he get his accolades, but he deserves a spot in the future...ato has done tons for the Caribbean in track and always bigging up his people.

this awards is a joke, i agree.  If you had to put two in each category winning who would u choose?

whey boy!

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 09:47:44 AM »
earle good but no latapy...esp considering his achievements, nominated for FIFA World player of the year

as for Ato he deserves it, if quarrie is there so should he...same olympic medal count.

usain is still too young, let him get through his career before he get his accolades, but he deserves a spot in the future...ato has done tons for the Caribbean in track and always bigging up his people.

this awards is a joke, i agree.  If you had to put two in each category winning who would u choose?

So you think the award is a Joke only because Ato and Latapy not on the list, or is it that you think there are too many Jamaicans on it? Whitmore is there only because he has done something that not many people in football manage to accomplish: 2 goals in 90 minuts at the world cup. Latapy good yes...but I believe its all about accomplishment at the highest level. + the thing is organized by a Jakan, so what you expect :)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 09:53:26 AM »

The list was probably put together before Usain's accomplishments....or there musta been some kinda cut off date- because there's no disputing that he's the biggest athletic superstar in the Caribbean at the moment....and possibly of all times.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 09:57:13 AM »
Dem bias

Offline MATADOR

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 10:00:50 AM »
Guys give the thing a chance...gesh you could never please people nah... The concept is a good one and maybe Ato etc would be selected..it's not a one and done deal.. We as a people need to be more encouraging. Personally I would have liked to see Derrick Murray and Larry Gomes up there but Like Ambrose, honourable mention Malcom Marshal etc.. their time will come.

Best of luck to the organizers.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 10:11:17 AM »

[/quote]

So you think the award is a Joke only because Ato and Latapy not on the list, or is it that you think there are too many Jamaicans on it? Whitmore is there only because he has done something that not many people in football manage to accomplish: 2 goals in 90 minuts at the world cup. Latapy good yes...but I believe its all about accomplishment at the highest level. + the thing is organized by a Jakan, so what you expect :)
[/quote]

no scene on too many Jamaicans, they have lots to be proud of, I'm just saying there are other athletes that deserve a mention...and because it's organized by a Jakan doesn't mean it has to be biased...jus saying

and accomplishment at the highest level, yes latapy didn't score in a wc, but along with his his accomplishments at club level, he helped the smallest nation EVER qualify for the WC, and represented well.
Ato's accomplishments weren't at the highest level?
Just bigging up my nation...that's all

whey boy!

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 01:36:36 PM »

[/quote]

no scene on too many Jamaicans, they have lots to be proud of, I'm just saying there are other athletes that deserve a mention...and because it's organized by a Jakan doesn't mean it has to be biased...jus saying

and accomplishment at the highest level, yes latapy didn't score in a wc, but along with his his accomplishments at club level, he helped the smallest nation EVER qualify for the WC, and represented well.
Ato's accomplishments weren't at the highest level?
Just bigging up my nation...that's all

[/quote]

Whitmore not only helped the smallest nation ever (Jamaica held that distinction when they qualified for France-98) get to the world cup, he was also the player from the smallest nation ever to play in the world cup...and score 2 goals in the same game. Many many players from larger nations are yet to even score aftre playing in multiple world cup finals.  I agree, Latapy have the upper hand in club football. But not better than Yorke..who is on the list for that reason.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 02:54:48 PM »
What about David Wellar and George Bovell. Alberto Juantorena. Why not Bolt?

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 03:22:46 PM »
if Quarrie is on that list then Ato should be on that list also..there is no ifs, buts or maybes about dat !!...but like reggae-fan said "the thing is organized by a Jakan, so what you expect "
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:32:25 PM by Sando prince »

Offline jamaica98

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 07:52:47 PM »
if Quarrie is on that list then Ato should be on that list also..there is no ifs, buts or maybes about dat !!...but like reggae-fan said "the thing is organized by a Jakan, so what you expect "

You cant be serious! Ato in the same class as Quarrie...you've got to be kidding.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 08:09:26 PM »

You cant be serious! Ato in the same class as Quarrie...you've got to be kidding.

tell your countrymen who organise this list, to shove it up dey friggin Mudder arse !!...

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 08:02:05 AM »
Robbie Earle and Theodore Whitmore are the only Caribbean players to have scored at the world cup, \

I saw Sancho score in the World Cup  :beermug:

;D

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 08:15:55 AM »

Ato has four Olympic medals over two Olympics..........How come that isnt worthy?

One Silver and Three Bronze!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline jamaica98

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 11:34:42 AM »

Ato has four Olympic medals over two Olympics..........How come that isnt worthy?

I think I was respondign to the comment that since Quarrie made it, then Ato should have made it too.  In terms of longevity and accomplishment over an entire career, there is no way you can put Quarrrie and Ato in the same category.

DQ participated in 5 olympics, won 4 medals 1 Gold, 2 silvers and a bronze.  He also held the 100 and 200 WR at the same time.   

Offline jamaica98

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 11:47:29 AM »

I did not say it was not worthy...Ato is a great sprinter.  I did not intend or do I think I knocked is accomplishments.    Infact I think aside from Ato, T&T 4x1 in 2001 was at the time one of the greatest accomplishments in Caribbean athletics - at the time.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 12:12:50 PM »

The list was probably put together before Usain's accomplishments....or there musta been some kinda cut off date- because there's no disputing that he's the biggest athletic superstar in the Caribbean at the moment....and possibly of all times.

A Hall of Fame is designed to recognize players who have (in the past) cemented themselves as top athletes. Usain's time will  come for sure, but to omit Ato Boldon is an error that will be corrected the next time members are inducted.  This not a once and done event (I hope).  So, let's not get out of sorts about it ...yet.  In every Hall of Fame induction (Baseball, American Football, Basketball), some worthy person is omitted.  For the Trinis, Deryk Murray, Latapy, Ato, and probably Larry Gomes will get their due at another time. So take it easy fellas. Now what I want to know is:  How is the selection done?  Is it a panel of sportswriters or a man (Jamaican-born, Al Hamilton) laying on his bed in his jammies and dreaming about sports?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 12:17:57 PM by Storeboy »
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 12:29:27 PM »

I think I was respondign to the comment that since Quarrie made it, then Ato should have made it too.  In terms of longevity and accomplishment over an entire career, there is no way you can put Quarrrie and Ato in the same category.

DQ participated in 5 olympics, won 4 medals 1 Gold, 2 silvers and a bronze.  He also held the 100 and 200 WR at the same time.   

Jamaica 98,  I am a born and bred die hard Trini and and it is hard to disagree with you on this one.  However, as far as accomplishments go you will have to include Ato's entire career - his World Junior golds, and his World Championship medals in a time when performance enhancing drugs were running rampant.  Who knows how much more he could have done with out some of the alleged drugged up competitors.  But, his time will come.  After all this this should be for the best of the best.  If this is a yearly event, these are my thoughts:
1.  The numbeer of awards should be limited per year
2.  There should be different divisions: Tracka and Field, Boxing, Football, Cricket, etc to prevent unfair comparisons
3.  Ato will more than likely make it the next time around.
4. The voting system should require a certain percentage of votes for entry.
5.  There should be allocations of votes fro fans and media

Just my humble opinions. 
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline jamaica98

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »
No doubt Ato should have been listed as one of T&T's greatest athlete and should have been included in some manner.  I think I got sidetrack by the earlier dismissal of Quarrie.  Looking at the lists, there are atlease 4 Jamaicans included in the list thats quite puzzzling to me.  I mean, only one Bajan cricketer for crying out loud yet they include Robbie Earle just to name one name.

Offline dspfootballer

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 06:07:10 PM »
I do not understand who Michael Holding could be selected and Andy Robert excluded.  I have seen both player at the best.  It boggle  ??? the mine.

Offline jamaica98

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 06:18:25 PM »
I do not understand who Michael Holding could be selected and Andy Robert excluded.  I have seen both player at the best.  It boggle  ??? the mine.

Dont get me started again  ;D

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 06:35:42 PM »
Oh jamaica 2099 change his name to jamaica98
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 06:38:13 PM »
Oh jamaica 2099 change his name to jamaica98
Things looking up for dem
He move the year ahead by one
is JamaicaqualifyingforWCby2098 now? :devil:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 06:41:58 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>