March 28, 2024, 06:48:20 PM

Author Topic: Composure! Composure! What is the consensus?  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Composure! Composure! What is the consensus?
« on: October 29, 2008, 07:21:24 PM »
Fourmites. . .

Barring the administration, team selection and things outside the control of the player’s hands, what is T&T’s greatest need? Is it basic skills? I say no. Is it athleticism? I say no. Is it desire? I say no.

I want to highlight composure, or a lack thereof. Too often T&T don’t seem to be sure in their tackles; make bad passes, look like they can’t trap, and less than prolific or confident in front of goal.  A lack of confidence seems to derail our players’ natural abilities. I think the Sweden game and the last Guatemala game displayed a bit more composure than is endemic to T&T. I would like to see our players show more composure more consistently.

I heard Harry Redknapp say the other day, (I think referring to his new Tottenham team’s winning start, and Hull’s magnificent run of form) “confidence is the key to everything in life. When you’re confident you do everything better.”

So what is the concensus from the T&T football pundits? Wah allyuh think.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
Re: Composure! Composure! What is the consensus?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 07:29:27 PM »
Fourmites. . .

Barring the administration, team selection and things outside the control of the player’s hands, what is T&T’s greatest need? Is it basic skills? I say no. Is it athleticism? I say no. Is it desire? I say no.

I want to highlight composure, or a lack thereof. Too often T&T don’t seem to be sure in their tackles; make bad passes, look like they can’t trap, and less than prolific or confident in front of goal.  A lack of confidence seems to derail our players’ natural abilities. I think the Sweden game and the last Guatemala game displayed a bit more composure than is endemic to T&T. I would like to see our players show more composure more consistently.

I heard Harry Redknapp say the other day, (I think referring to his new Tottenham team’s winning start, and Hull’s magnificent run of form) “confidence is the key to everything in life. When you’re confident you do everything better.”

So what is the concensus from the T&T football pundits? Wah allyuh think.

What if your basic skills are not up to par?; then you will have a hard time being composed under pressure and in turn lack in confidence. All the elements have to be there ; individual defending is a skill/technique that does not come from natural talent this also needs as much work as dribbling.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:45:09 PM »
CK1,

If basic skills are not there, what in the world they doing being selected to the National Football team of Trinidad and Tobago? Nah. I don't subscribe to the basic skills aint there theory. I played ball in college observed players with superb footballing skills lose it during pressure from opposition. I tend to think T&T players have a confidence issue.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 08:08:26 PM by Cocorite »

Offline kaisocagoals

• Supportin' T&T Football,... raise yuh head!... let the ball do the running!
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 07:46:07 PM »
if we do the basic things well... with dedication and concentration, we can win games...

we must imagine and focus...
a minute in football is a very long time...

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 07:51:15 PM »
Kaisoca,

I'm sure you mean do the basic things well during games.

I'm tempted to believe they look sharp in pro league and in practice. But the speed and level of International ball pressure especially the less experienced T&T players.

So how do we explain the poor finishing by our strikers, for instance?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 08:01:57 PM »
Whatever is lacking, we need to overcame it very quickly. Composure/confidence comes from good coaching, and the players taking the initiate to practice their skills on their own.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:02:12 PM »
Was watchin de T&T vs Sweden game las night (fuh about de 12th time)

Lack of composure is definitely something we struggle with in general.  Few of our players have composure on the ball.

Russell Latapy of course is a master.  So too Dwight Yorke, although he gets caught out frequently when tackling by going to ground.

Carlos Edwards is above average in this department FOR OUR TEAM but quite average by international standards

Composure is not one of Birchy's strength's but he makes up for it and more in other areas

Stern isn't bad.  KJ is learning.  Keon Daniel has a bit TOO much composure.  He needs to learn to play the game at a faster pace more consistently.

Densil Theobald probably had the least composure of the players on show that day

But I think where we show our lack of composure the most is in defence.

Dennis Lawrence is similar to Carlos Edwards in the composure department.

But Avery, Sancho, and Cyd are blade men.  Somehow in T&T, that's seen as some sort of badge of merit for a defender when in actual fact, it's more often than not simply wileness.  Those 3 often blade for blade sake.  But yuh cyah really blame dem because dey givin dey all and in so doing, they substitute effort for lack of technical ability and positional awareness.  It's also what they were taught so even more reason to give dem a kinda bligh.

But defenders cannot afford to be one dimensional.  Not in dis day and age.  They have to bring much more to the table than the intimidation factor.  Or if de intimidation factor is yuh major strength, yuh better make damn well sure dat yuh VERY INTIMIDATING.  Like a Marvin Andrews.  Sancho, Avery and dem too light weight.  Forward does watch dem and kicks.

It's why Dennis Lawrence could be head and shoulders above the rest of the defenders in T&T (not jes because he taller dan everybody).  He has a LITTLE BIT extra composure about his play.  He can actually play football.  He have some skill.  He is not just a rush een and jam type player.  Perhaps is no coincidence dat he is also de only defender we have that playin anywhere near a top class level outside (Morvant doh cuss meh).  Makan Hislop have some potential from de little I see.  But dem fellas cyah TRULY develop in T&T.  De coaching in T&T doh churn out proper defenders for some reason.  If he really want to learn de position properly, he have to go outside.  No if's, and's or but's.

I say de solution is to convert some a dem offensive type players with a brain to defenders.  Dennis Lawrence start off as a midfielder so we should look for more of de same.  Or failing that, encourage some young up and coming defenders to play some midfield every so often to hopefully enhance they skills.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 08:11:40 PM »
GR8 post Palos but yuh assessment on Powers is missin. I await your response wit gr8 expectation
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 08:13:52 PM »
Palos,

I couldn't have said it better. Your observations about the individual players are on point in my opinion.

I am also of the view that since we have a dirth of up-to-par defenders, we certainly should make a concerted effort to convert some surplus forwards and midfielders (with technical skill) to defenders.

We also need a motivator in the camp. Consider what Hull is doint in The English Premier League with the calibre of players and what they're going up against week-in-week-out.

They believe! They have confidence. They're composed.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 08:23:03 PM »
CK1,

If basic skills are not there, what in the world they doing being selected to the National Football team of Trinidad and Tobago? Nah. I don't subscribe to the basic skills aint there theory. I played ball in college observed players with superb footballing skills lose it during pressure from opposition. I tend to think T&T players have a confidence issue.
Making the National team is one thing ,but performing consistantly at the international level is another. That's why only a handful,,,if so many have proven themselves at the top level. Yorke and Latapy are our two best examples of players with superb basics which enhanced their ability to remain composed under pressure...once you can do that you will be able to play with confidence consistantly. You have any idea how much man hours of work Latapy put into mastering his fundamental as a youth?...that's what pros do on a daily basis so when you see players controlling ball and passing accurately with they eyes closed those are the players who remain composed and play with confidence.

Offline kaisocagoals

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 08:25:13 PM »
Kaisoca,

I'm tempted to believe they look sharp in pro league and in practice. But the speed and level of International ball pressure especially the less experienced T&T players.

we don't seem to practice shooting...

and yes I do mean during games...

I addressed the issue of science and diet in an earlier post...

we need to be preparing for games with an overall outlook...

Mind, body and skills or as some would rather say, blood sweat and tears...

if we practice shooting (continuously) then it will enter our game naturally (over time)...

I would love to see an all out attacking T&T outfit shooting and testing opposition keepers any day, but dat is not the Corbeaux brand...

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 08:29:39 PM »

I say de solution is to convert some a dem offensive type players with a brain to defenders.  Dennis Lawrence start off as a midfielder so we should look for more of de same.  Or failing that, encourage some young up and coming defenders to play some midfield every so often to hopefully enhance they skills.[/quote]
That's not a bad idea at all and is often done in many sound youth player development programs. Actually, this was quite common with the US Women's National team during their developing years.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 08:30:16 PM »
CK1,

I think we agreeing for the most part. It might be a slight difference on how we define basic skills.

No argument from me that endless man hours enhances basic skills, which in turn enhances confidence and composure.

But I believe our players possess basic football skills. Now I admit I don't have a proper definition for that.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 08:35:59 PM »
Kaisoca,

I don't know for sure but I imagine the strikers practice shooting on a regular basis. If they don't we are in worst trouble than we think.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 08:36:13 PM »
Anybody read Dog's book where he said he wanted 2 b a striker 2 score goals and gallery himself. D reason we lack defenders most players have 2 b converted 2 a defender KJ being d poster boy 4 d opposite.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 08:47:57 PM »
In our inaugural World Cup, one of the records we held (1st red card and being the tinyest nation ever to qualify among others) was being the oldest team (average age being well over 30).

T&T takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to reach a respectable level of football. Confidence is a rewarding trait. When you're confident your tackles, passes, trapping, shooting takes on a certainty to them; opposing players sniff that quality and give that respect. Recall the boundaries Latapy and Yorke were afforded in the last games played. It wasn't only because they had skill but the opponent knew they these players already knew their next move and that they weren't tentative.

Its reciprocal confidence breathes better play and better play engenders confidence.

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 09:14:12 PM »
Was watchin de T&T vs Sweden game las night (fuh about de 12th time)

Lack of composure is definitely something we struggle with in general.  Few of our players have composure on the ball.

Russell Latapy of course is a master.  So too Dwight Yorke, although he gets caught out frequently when tackling by going to ground.

Carlos Edwards is above average in this department FOR OUR TEAM but quite average by international standards

Composure is not one of Birchy's strength's but he makes up for it and more in other areas

Stern isn't bad.  KJ is learning.  Keon Daniel has a bit TOO much composure.  He needs to learn to play the game at a faster pace more consistently.

Densil Theobald probably had the least composure of the players on show that day

But I think where we show our lack of composure the most is in defence.

Dennis Lawrence is similar to Carlos Edwards in the composure department.

But Avery, Sancho, and Cyd are blade men.  Somehow in T&T, that's seen as some sort of badge of merit for a defender when in actual fact, it's more often than not simply wileness.  Those 3 often blade for blade sake.  But yuh cyah really blame dem because dey givin dey all and in so doing, they substitute effort for lack of technical ability and positional awareness.  It's also what they were taught so even more reason to give dem a kinda bligh.

But defenders cannot afford to be one dimensional.  Not in dis day and age.  They have to bring much more to the table than the intimidation factor.  Or if de intimidation factor is yuh major strength, yuh better make damn well sure dat yuh VERY INTIMIDATING.  Like a Marvin Andrews.  Sancho, Avery and dem too light weight.  Forward does watch dem and kicks.

It's why Dennis Lawrence could be head and shoulders above the rest of the defenders in T&T (not jes because he taller dan everybody).  He has a LITTLE BIT extra composure about his play.  He can actually play football.  He have some skill.  He is not just a rush een and jam type player.  Perhaps is no coincidence dat he is also de only defender we have that playin anywhere near a top class level outside (Morvant doh cuss meh).  Makan Hislop have some potential from de little I see.  But dem fellas cyah TRULY develop in T&T.  De coaching in T&T doh churn out proper defenders for some reason.  If he really want to learn de position properly, he have to go outside.  No if's, and's or but's.

I say de solution is to convert some a dem offensive type players with a brain to defenders.  Dennis Lawrence start off as a midfielder so we should look for more of de same.  Or failing that, encourage some young up and coming defenders to play some midfield every so often to hopefully enhance they skills.

I agree with most of this post except for the sancho part, I actually believe that sancho's composure is on par if not better than with dennis lawrence's, he doesn't go into tackle half as much as avery or cyd and i'd more trust him with the ball at his feet more than dennis actually when he is on his game...his consistency isn't as strong as dennis's own tho...

i like this thread - this is the basic problem with the trinidad teams both at club and international level..there's no queston there's talent here but we don't handle that big stage or big game particularly well..

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 09:21:18 PM »
In our inaugural World Cup, one of the records we held (1st red card and being the tinyest nation ever to qualify among others) was being the oldest team (average age being well over 30).

T&T takes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to reach a respectable level of football. Confidence is a rewarding trait. When you're confident your tackles, passes, trapping, shooting takes on a certainty to them; opposing players sniff that quality and give that respect. Recall the boundaries Latapy and Yorke were afforded in the last games played. It wasn't only because they had skill but the opponent knew they these players already knew their next move and that they weren't tentative.

Its reciprocal confidence breathes better play and better play engenders confidence.

I think it's a chicken and egg scenario i.e.which comes first.

The pace of today's game is quite fast. In order to be merely competitive at the international level, you have to be able to play consistently at that pace.  It means your technical ability and speed of thought must be sharp.  Some have an intuition for it but they're in the extreme minority.  The rest do it as a result of REPETITION.

Our players, yonger one's especially, have "Touches"....but they struggle to cope when the pace of the game is raised.  When the opponent puts pressure on our players when we're in possession.  We lose the ball, misplace our passes, our find ourselves with little option other than to hoof it long down the field to take the pressure off.  But all that does is invariably present the opposing team with the ball.  We tend not to handle pressure well.  Why?  Because we don't train to perform in that environment.

Densil Theobald is a good example.  He have "touches".  He got skills.  He has technical ability.  But in order to effectively display those skills, he needs to have time and space.  A luxury that is not afforded to him at the international level.  He is by no means alone.

By the same token, it's why Keon Daniel is such a superior TALENT.  He too plays slowly.  But his technical ability is on a much higher plane which is why he can cope at this level.  Imagine what he could do if he were afforded the opportunity to regularly practice playing the game at a faster pace.  Similar for Khaleem Hyland.

So you mention confidence. Confidence comes when your level of comfort within your environment is such that YOU KNOW you're able to perform at that level.  Not just perform but excel.  Your skills are almost second nature.  It can only become second nature which will translate into confidence, when you consistently indulge in the repitition of the various skills needed to excel.  This applies to any field of endeavour.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 09:22:27 PM »
I agree with most of this post except for the sancho part, I actually believe that sancho's composure is on par if not better than with dennis lawrence's, he doesn't go into tackle half as much as avery or cyd and i'd more trust him with the ball at his feet more than dennis actually when he is on his game...his consistency isn't as strong as dennis's own tho...

i like this thread - this is the basic problem with the trinidad teams both at club and international level..there's no queston there's talent here but we don't handle that big stage or big game particularly well..

I urge you to look at Sancho's performances in Germany again.  I think you'll see what I'm saying.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 09:35:13 PM »
Kaisoca,

we don't seem to practice shooting...

and yes I do mean during games...

I addressed the issue of science and diet in an earlier post...

we need to be preparing for games with an overall outlook...

Mind, body and skills or as some would rather say, blood sweat and tears...

if we practice shooting (continuously) then it will enter our game naturally (over time)...

I would love to see an all out attacking T&T outfit shooting and testing opposition keepers any day, but dat is not the Corbeaux brand...

This is where we lack perspective, it goes past shooting to one more level. Drogba, Torres, etc.   ;)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 09:43:09 PM »

I urge you to look at Sancho's performances in Germany again.  I think you'll see what I'm saying.

I would not say Lawrence game is more composure as perse risk taking. Lawrence at many points (which I believe you alluding to Palos) does not know when to dribble or when to pass, as the game vs Bahrain in the HCS.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 04:11:51 AM »
Palos,

I couldn't have said it better. Your observations about the individual players are on point in my opinion.

I am also of the view that since we have a dirth of up-to-par defenders, we certainly should make a concerted effort to convert some surplus forwards and midfielders (with technical skill) to defenders.

We also need a motivator in the camp. Consider what Hull is doint in The English Premier League with the calibre of players and what they're going up against week-in-week-out.

They believe! They have confidence. They're composed.

yeah forget letting the other professional defenders get ah chance
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline kaisocagoals

• Sr. Warrior
  • Goals Win Matches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 10:20:41 AM »
Kaisoca,

I don't know for sure but I imagine the strikers practice shooting on a regular basis. If they don't we are in worst trouble than we think.
yes but there is a difference between a 20 minute session and a 2 hour session...

If you remember your football days how much time was actually spent on this most crucial skill?...

is all well and fine to be dribbling all day but shooting (from any angle) is a skill that must be rehearsed...

this is why I think that after the warm up it should go straight to "shooting for push-ups" or something along those lines, if yuh beat the 'keeper then none for yuh... if yuh don't, then is 15...

but you have raised a very valid point... I remember as a youth watching the Serie A and seeing many players shooting from well outside the 18...

we just never seem to want to test 'keepers...

pretty pretty patterns all day on the pitch... we need to go from village to village, town to town and unearth some talent...

ah mean, if we have technically gifted players like (oh gorm...) Evans Wise, well then we should have a striker who could shoot from distance playing somewhere in some league that could contribute...

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 05:30:41 PM »
I risk sounding too simplistic but this is my take.....

Football is about time and space... you can afford yourself time and space buy first having good techinique. I see some ah we senior team players mistrapping, trapping when they should be wedging the ball away from a defender/pressure or into a more open space ,playing with dey head down etc etc...

These skills, or what I call good habits ( I try not to tell players they have no skills, ah prefer say yuh have bad habits ) should be cultivated from very young, they should be almost a natural reaction and unless we instill these good habits into our youngest of footballers we would always be struggling in Concacaf and beyond.

Composure cannot be taught, its the last piece of the puzzle and it comes from having good habits, which in turn allows more time and space to use yuh natural God given talents....and we have plenty of dat.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 08:16:21 PM »
Kaisoca,

yes but there is a difference between a 20 minute session and a 2 hour session...

If you remember your football days how much time was actually spent on this most crucial skill?...

is all well and fine to be dribbling all day but shooting (from any angle) is a skill that must be rehearsed...

this is why I think that after the warm up it should go straight to "shooting for push-ups" or something along those lines, if yuh beat the 'keeper then none for yuh... if yuh don't, then is 15...

but you have raised a very valid point... I remember as a youth watching the Serie A and seeing many players shooting from well outside the 18...

we just never seem to want to test 'keepers...

pretty pretty patterns all day on the pitch... we need to go from village to village, town to town and unearth some talent...

ah mean, if we have technically gifted players like (oh gorm...) Evans Wise, well then we should have a striker who could shoot from distance playing somewhere in some league that could contribute...

Again, shooting or the technique of shooting is not the end all be all, there exist a major component we have no mentioned yet. This is a problem now with youth players. Many can shoot and basically put the ball where they want it to go, but they lack a major component that is rarely taught or possess. I mentioned Drogba and Torres to see if anyone would pick up on what I am talking about. I will add a few more names, the Real Ronaldo, Dwight Yorke when he was at Man United, the copy cat Ronaldo kind of have it, Rooney is still struggling to develop this part of his game, the best English player with skill probably Shearer. 
This skill can be taught to a certain extent, but player must develop the final aspect themselves.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 08:49:07 PM »
Well said Elan,
                        The player must develop that final aspect himself. There is so much a coach can teach you. Look at all the top players in anysport: Pele, Diego, Michael, Wayne Gretsky, they have that final touch that they alone have developed by practicing and playing pickup games. You know what a man tell me, I don't know if it is true or not. He from south. Somewhere down Point. He say Dilly use to take the ball and tell about tell them lil fellas on the field to come a take the ball away from him. About 6 or 7 lil boys trying to take the ball and he dribbling all of them, some time he lose the ball so what. It may look like he is having fun with them(which he is) but he also sharpening and maintaining his dribbling skills in tight places.

1]; } ?>