Yes
12 (17.9%)
No
34 (50.7%)
Hell Yes
21 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: January 02, 2006, 04:58:17 PM

Author Topic: Jamaica Football Thread.  (Read 473937 times)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jamaica Football Thread.
« Reply #3000 on: November 27, 2012, 05:14:15 PM »
just look @ what happened when pfister came here, he blanked fellas like thompson, tony warner and buccaud for fellas like hector, phillips and molino. we have all the talent we need here, all we need is academies to polish our product.

those players you listed are god-awful players who in reality, are no better than the players you have in T&T. Chris Birchall's goal vs Bahrain played a crucial role in getting you qualified for Germany, and to this day he is still perhaps one of the better players to have played for T&T in the past 10 years.
In the grand scheme of things, Birchall is just an average championship level midfielder....perhaps not even good enough to play in the EPL...but still good enough to be a critical part of any T&T team. Hope you see where im going here. But perhaps you should try and define more clearly what you mean by "local bred" player. For instance, Is Messi a "local bred" player for Argentina or does spain take credit for his development as a player?
So was dennis lawrence's goal my friend, without dennis we would have never known a world cup, so was all the goals that stern john and russell latapy scored as well, so where do you draw the line on this??

and for the record, if you say that criss birchall was "one" of our better players in the past ten yrs then you don't know sh!t about T&T football and you should stay quiet in that regard!

as ah matter of fact birchall is one of the least skillful of our midfielders, and i will go as far a to say that spann was better than birchall skill wise, but he fell off badly and became nothing but ah journeyman.

right now we don't really need birchall to tell you the truth, bc there's nuff competition for places on the national team.

in reality criss is our hardest player, he runs none stop, he fights like lion and gives each game his all and for that he should be commended, we really need players like that in the team, but over the yrs watching birchall, IMO he gives the ball away quite a lot and has a problem with making effective passes,

but not taking anything away from him, the boy is ah damn good player, but i would rather see hyland or theobald in that position, and as of now we have jovin jones, ah players who could attack and defend, and could pass much better than birchall, we also have houton hactor and kevin molino, and they are very good going forward and could split defenses.

in that whole world cup midfield, there were only two midfielders that birchall was better than, bleeder and evans wise, but IMO he wasn't better than whitley, carlos, yorke, latas, and samuels.

before the birchallites come and call me ah racist lemme just make my position clear, don't get me wrong, the boy is ah very useful players, but to say he's one of our better players for the past ten yrs is stretching it.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #3001 on: November 27, 2012, 05:20:25 PM »
just look @ what happened when pfister came here, he blanked fellas like thompson, tony warner and buccaud for fellas like hector, phillips and molino. we have all the talent we need here, all we need is academies to polish our product.

those players you listed are god-awful players who in reality, are no better than the players you have in T&T. Chris Birchall's goal vs Bahrain played a crucial role in getting you qualified for Germany, and to this day he is still perhaps one of the better players to have played for T&T in the past 10 years.
In the grand scheme of things, Birchall is just an average championship level midfielder....perhaps not even good enough to play in the EPL...but still good enough to be a critical part of any T&T team. Hope you see where im going here. But perhaps you should try and define more clearly what you mean by "local bred" player. For instance, Is Messi a "local bred" player for Argentina or does spain take credit for his development as a player?
So was dennis lawrence's goal my friend, without dennis we would have never known a world cup, so was all the goals that stern john and russell latapy scored as well, so where do you draw the line on this??

and for the record, if you say that criss birchall was "one" of our better players in the past ten yrs then you don't know sh!t about T&T football and you should stay quiet in that regard!

as ah matter of fact birchall is one of the least skillful of our midfielders, and i will go as far a to say that spann was better than birchall skill wise, but he fell off badly and became nothing but ah journeyman.

right now we don't really need birchall to tell you the truth, bc there's nuff competition for places on the national team.

in reality criss is our hardest player, he runs none stop, he fights like lion and gives each game his all and for that he should be commended, we really need players like that in the team, but over the yrs watching birchall, IMO he gives the ball away quite a lot and has a problem with making effective passes,

but not taking anything away from him, the boy is ah damn good player, but i would rather see hyland or theobald in that position, and as of now we have jovin jones, ah players who could attack and defend, and could pass much better than birchall, we also have houton hactor and kevin molino, and they are very good going forward and could split defenses.

in that whole world cup midfield, there were only two midfielders that birchall was better than, bleeder and evans wise, but IMO he wasn't better than whitley, carlos, yorke, latas, and samuels.

before the birchallites come and call me ah racist lemme just make my position clear, don't get me wrong, the boy is ah very useful players, but to say he's one of our better players for the past ten yrs is stretching it.
Skillful doesn't equal good. 'More skills' doesn't equal 'better'. We love skills in TT. Nuff man ripping up their front yard with skills.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: November 27, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »
Reggeafan i feel you just jealous bc you guys have to depend on foreign players and we don't.

i tellin you this, yuh see if we didn't have jack warner leaning on football and not doing the right thing to develop the game on the both islands, and we had a visionary running football the past 30 yrs instead who build academies and pushed football hard, we would have been the uraguay of concacaf.

you have no idea how important football was to trinbagonians eh?? listen fella, you ain't never seen football the way i saw it when i was coming up, and i will go as far as to say that the T&T you seeing today is bullsh!t as far as football is concerned.

i talking about a three mile square area (the queens park savannah) full of ppl playing football, uniforn decorating the whole savannah especially on a sataurday morning on through to the going down of the sun, that how much football was big in T&T, and one man spoil dat for his own personal gain.

IMO if we start developing football in trinbago the right way, we would never need another foreign based player in our ranks, that's how much natural talent we have on our islands.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: November 27, 2012, 09:02:32 PM »
Reggeafan i feel you just jealous bc you guys have to depend on foreign players and we don't.

How many Foreign BORN players played for Jamaica in the last world cup qualifying game ? I bet no more than three.
One final question for you sir: How many foreign born players Jamaica used to win the last two Caribbean cup tournaments ? ZERO! (there i answered it for you)

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: November 27, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »

Skillfull players get you nowhere brother. How many skillful players are on the USA team today? For all the talented and skillfull players in te caribbean, what have we achieved with that skill? Birchall is one of the better players for T&T in the past decade, I stand by that. there is more to football than faking and twisting left then right, then nutmegging a player (we call it salad in Jamaica)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: November 27, 2012, 09:11:24 PM »
F#CK OFF
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: November 28, 2012, 07:59:27 AM »
Jamaica should use the best players at our disposal. whether they were born in Jamaica or in England or Germany, as long as they have Jamaican percentage. allot of larger footballing countries are using players that were not even born in that country and have no connection, only that they lived there. Holland , France, England etc. John Barnes, Sterling etc are not from England and does not have any England connections. England is also recruiting some ivory coast kid. Patric Viera was born in Senegal, not France. There is nothing to be jealous about T&T football, Jamaica will always have top footballers around the world, which will grow in the future. most of Britain young black footballers have Jamaican percentage or born in Jamaica but migrate to Britain at a young age.

Phoenix all-star football academy: http://phoenixallstarsfootballacademy.wordpress.com/

Bayern Munich
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Young-J-can-signs-with-Bayern-Munich_10104891

Ajax
http://mobile.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20120112/sports/sports2.php

Lille
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/J-can-teen--baller-signs-with-French-giant-Lille_10220851

I have been in America since i was a kid. that does not make a Jamaican who grew up in Jamaica any more Jamaican than me.

Messi have been in Spain since he was a kid, does that make him less Argentinian?.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 11:16:45 AM by jahkingdom »
Hard work is the key to success

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: November 28, 2012, 09:33:27 AM »

i tellin you this, yuh see if we didn't have jack warner leaning on football and not doing the right thing to develop the game on the both islands, and we had a visionary running football the past 30 yrs instead who build academies and pushed football hard, we would have been the uraguay of concacaf.

you have no idea how important football was to trinbagonians eh?? listen fella, you ain't never seen football the way i saw it when i was coming up, and i will go as far as to say that the T&T you seeing today is bullsh!t as far as football is concerned.

i talking about a three mile square area (the queens park savannah) full of ppl playing football, uniforn decorating the whole savannah especially on a sataurday morning on through to the going down of the sun, that how much football was big in T&T, and one man spoil dat for his own personal gain.

IMO if we start developing football in trinbago the right way, we would never need another foreign based player in our ranks, that's how much natural talent we have on our islands.
Nope! Jealousy is the other way around. You always conveniently forget to mention that 98% of our "foreign" Reggae Boyz are Jamaicans born and bred from our own non-pro league club system compared to T&T's Pro League.

So why is it that Jamaicans get more foreign club contracts than T&T is the million dollar question you should ask yourself.

It seems even the US is sweating over the same thing in a thread headline by one of your own newspaper:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/jamaica-to-recruit-nine-england-based-players.1977336/

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 09:35:08 AM by jamaica2099 »
jjbrown

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: November 28, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »

Nope! Jealousy is the other way around. You always conveniently forget to mention that 98% of our "foreign" Reggae Boyz are Jamaicans born and bred from our own non-pro league club system compared to T&T's Pro League.

So why is it that Jamaicans get more foreign club contracts than T&T is the million dollar question you should ask yourself.

It seems even the US is sweating over the same thing in a thread headline by one of your own newspaper:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/jamaica-to-recruit-nine-england-based-players.1977336/

This iz why i doh like tuh talk tuh allyuh yard fowls, allyuh always runnin tuh defend allyuh fackin flag like if somebody trying tuh rape allyuh of something!!!

i just tell de fackin idiot byoi dat birchall iz not near one of our better players! in fact nuff trinis doh rate birchall and righfully so, he's pretty basic. 

right now we have hector , molino, J.jones, jagdeosingh, guerra, and hyland, and IMO would do ah much better job than birchall, so he doh know what de fack he talking bout!

as for all this jamaica better than trinidad slop chop! we have, count then, eight fackin caribbean cup titles under our belts and when allyuh win nine, come back and fackin talk to me about who better than who, as ah matter of fact i not even in that simpleton argument.

ah know allyuh tribal jamaicans love fight down fackin ting so i would not even go there wid allyuh! keep thinking allyuh better than everybody else.

one more thing, we don't need foreign "born" players like allyuh, and that's all i said, and we don't! so why i gettin all this talk about, what i said did not warrant all this long talk?

all i said iz that we have enough talented players who was born and bred in T&T, and we do, we don't need foreign born and bred product, we just need academies and proper training and coaching schools to develop our players from an early age and we will be fine..
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 06:12:57 PM by just cool »

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: November 28, 2012, 07:56:58 PM »

Damn bro, you came out swinging. I can point you to at least a dozen threads on this forum where Chris Birchall's play is being mentioned in a positive light. I tell you what, in terms of a battling midfielder (not the flashy type), Birchall is tops in your squad, sorta similar to our Rodolph Austin (Leeds). Its for that reason why he started every game at the Germany....ahead f Latapy. You need a combative midfielder to command the middle of the park.

Anyway, yes, T&T football has a legacy you can be proud of.  Unfortunately, and for whatever reason, things have gone downhill since Germany, but anyone who is intimate with the sport knows that you will bounce back.

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: November 29, 2012, 10:02:02 AM »

This iz why i doh like tuh talk tuh allyuh yard fowls, allyuh always runnin tuh defend allyuh fackin flag like if somebody trying tuh rape allyuh of something!!!

i just tell de fackin idiot byoi dat birchall iz not near one of our better players! in fact nuff trinis doh rate birchall and righfully so, he's pretty basic. 

right now we have hector , molino, J.jones, jagdeosingh, guerra, and hyland, and IMO would do ah much better job than birchall, so he doh know what de fack he talking bout!

as for all this jamaica better than trinidad slop chop! we have, count then, eight fackin caribbean cup titles under our belts and when allyuh win nine, come back and fackin talk to me about who better than who, as ah matter of fact i not even in that simpleton argument.

ah know allyuh tribal jamaicans love fight down fackin ting so i would not even go there wid allyuh! keep thinking allyuh better than everybody else.

one more thing, we don't need foreign "born" players like allyuh, and that's all i said, and we don't! so why i gettin all this talk about, what i said did not warrant all this long talk?

all i said iz that we have enough talented players who was born and bred in T&T, and we do, we don't need foreign born and bred product, we just need academies and proper training and coaching schools to develop our players from an early age and we will be fine..
Don't start a subject if you cannot handle the TRUTH!
I thought T&T had more academies and football fields than all the Caribbean nations. Didn't T&T host a World Cup in their own backyard. I don't think FIFA would have allowed a World Cup to be held with non-standard football fields even with all the clouth that Jack Warner had at the time. ??? 
jjbrown

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: November 29, 2012, 06:05:45 PM »

Jamaica win 5 Caribbean cups and could win 6 this year. that's not far from 8, and i am confident we will pass you in the near future as our football culture grows. i do understand that we started late, and you guys were playing a long time. but before you start LMO,  you should check this out: http://www.alltimesoccer.com/alltime/jamaica_vs_trinidad_and_tobago

http://www.soccerpunter.com/soccer-statistics/World/Friendlies-2010/head_to_head_statistics/all/2210_Trinidad_and_Tobago/1319_Jamaica

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/statisticsandrecords/headtohead/team1=jam/team2=tri/index.html

go and check any head to head stats and come back to me.lol
Hard work is the key to success

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: November 29, 2012, 08:40:37 PM »
Man allyuh fack off with allyuh tribal mdacnt nah!! every mdcnt ting is jamaica jamaica like jamaica is the only country in the fackin world! the way allyuh does boast to the eyes of a foreigner they would swear that allyuh was on par wid england. larger than life mudafackers!

as for you mister tribal king arsehole ja2099, we don't have one fackin football academy in trinidad! and another thing, the last i checked, you don't need football academies to host a tournament, just infrastructure so jack warner went and build four mini stadiums with "FIFA" funds. ato bolden stadium, manny ramjohn stadium, larry gomes stadium and dwight yorke stadium in tobago.

before that we only had "one" stadium the hasely crawford stadium. so yeh we have five stadiums, big fackin deal! i would rather have five academies.

Offline jamaica2099

• Hero Warrior
  • n/a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: December 14, 2012, 08:04:35 AM »
Remorseful Boyz take blame

DEEP BAY, Antigua — One good thing coming out of Jamaica's distasteful performance at the CFU Caribbean Cup is that the players have pointed the finger of blame on themselves.
They sought no excuses for crashing out of the tournament that they entered as defending champions as the worst performing team with only a point, which effectively entombed them to the preliminary stage.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Remorseful-Boyz-take-blame_13209880#ixzz2F2whINBT

Now on to Mission: Brazil. :duel: :challenge: :salute:
jjbrown

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: December 14, 2012, 05:53:18 PM »
hope you take that form into the HEX

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3015 on: December 14, 2012, 06:02:30 PM »
Capt Burrell in England again...Set to hold talks with 172 UK players

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: December 14, 2012, 07:24:44 PM »
Remorseful Boyz take blame

DEEP BAY, Antigua — One good thing coming out of Jamaica's distasteful performance at the CFU Caribbean Cup is that the players have pointed the finger of blame on themselves.
They sought no excuses for crashing out of the tournament that they entered as defending champions as the worst performing team with only a point, which effectively entombed them to the preliminary stage.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Remorseful-Boyz-take-blame_13209880#ixzz2F2whINBT

Now on to Mission: Brazil. :duel: :challenge: :salute:
Eh reggae i will bring back up the thread that yuh said jamaica will take the cup again, just look out the the caribbean cup thread that non other than i started.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: December 31, 2012, 01:58:44 PM »
Building Jamaica's football from the root up

BY ANDREW EDWARDS

Monday, December 31, 2012

RECENTLY I have been working with a fellow alumnus to facilitate a couple of English youths coming to play in our premier league. These are 18- and 19 year-old kids who have not made the cut at big clubs like Chelsea.

Cognisant of the fact that their dream of playing professional football has diminished, they are seeking to follow a growing trend among "failed" academy players. That is, to ply their trade in a less developed country (by football standards) and hopefully work their way back into the big leagues.

This reminded me that whilst at Traffic Academy in Brazil I learnt that if a player couldn't be sold at 17 years old he would generally be offloaded. Yet, we in Jamaica are making our most substantial investments in players in their 20s and 30s. Sure enough, a few have and will continue to make the breakthrough. Instead of a sparing few, I envision a significant many, however, being contracted by international clubs. Lest we forget the highest transfer fees paid for Jamaican players have been for Gardner, Austin and Fuller whilst they were "still quite young".

For several years coach Jackie Walters has mooted the idea of a super league amongst the top schools in the Manning and DaCosta Cups. Coach Walters is a wily veteran of immense experience; one for whom I have great respect. Central to this moot is the fact that the high school season is too short and thus does not lend itself to the levels, consistency, quality and detailed preparation that will enable us to be more competitive internationally.

This argument is based on the knowledge that our high schools have for a very long time been the conveyor belt churning out most of the talent that goes on to represent this country, not only in football, but in all sports.

The sports landscape of the 21st Century is far too complex for us to be still dependent on our ill-equipped high school system to deliver world beaters in football.

Every coach I know and all the prominent administrators of football have two primary objectives in common. They all desire to elevate players from their camps to the national programmes and to export players to international clubs. Both objectives, I believe, can be achieved in substantially quantitative and qualitative ways on a sustained basis. This will, however, require a paradigm shift that will encapsulate the current best practices of football management, marketing, player development, financial planning and management, technical planning and development, and strategic planning.

It has been said on numerous occasions in varied media that it costs approximately $25 million to run a club in the 12-team Premier League for a season — collectively this amounts to $300 million per year. This is a pretty penny for which the return in most seasons is approximately $5 million given as prize monies.

Even if one club were to win all available prize monies, it would still not make for a sustainable business. The PLCA has an opportunity to participate in a paradigm shift that will make local football a worthy business.

The JFF as the principals of football in the country has been holding consultations among its stakeholders about restructuring the nation's football, and quite rightly so. A primary business of the JFF is to develop a football programme that is internationally competitive and which will enable qualification to World Cup tournaments at all levels.

Led by the astute army man, Captain Horace Burrell, we have, as a nation, qualified for four World Cup tournaments, a remarkable achievement. In the context of the immense anomalies that exist within the structures of our football, this can easily be seen as overachievement. Unlike our CONCACAF counterparts, to say the least, Jamaica's football development structures are quite archaic and lacking modern insights and investments.

Two recent JFF-sponsored sojourns have enlightened my thinking. In July 2012, I was a student on the first JFF/Brazil Coaching Course, staged in Brazil. There it was "forcefully" pointed out to us that, at least for the people at Traffic Academy, Sao Paulo FC and Santos FC, football is a business from which serious profits must always be made.

Professor Adolfo Canavesi said: "Traffic exist not for the love of football but because someone realised it's good business."

Earlier this month, I was a member of a three-man delegation to the annual US Soccer Development Academy's Winter College Showcase. For five days we watched football from 9:00 am to 9:00 pm across 22 football fields all located on one complex in Sarasota, Florida. The quality on display, in my humble opinion, was largely average. Strikingly though, the players had an admirable "sticktoitiveness" that never waned regardless of the scoreline or which players were on the pitch. It was almost mechanical, from the warm-up to the game to the cool down. Every player knew exactly what his role was and within his own limitations executed the basics with completeness of purpose.

When I add to these two perspectives, the overwhelming admiration for the dexterity, guile and showmanship of the Jamaican player I must conclude we are not doing nearly enough to create real wealth from our little gold mine. On every single coaching course I have attended where foreigners presented and Jamaican kids have been used for demonstration purposes, the compliments received with regard to the quality of the kids have been nothing short of superfluous.

In March 2011 while I was in Brazil with the U-20 team, an instructor, who was brought in to teach our players "football movements", remarked afterwards, "I am currently doing my thesis on this subject and we have concluded it takes approximately 18 months for the typical Brazilian kid to develop these movements — your kids all seem to do it all naturally."

I thought to myself pity 'you don't know that our culture and daily lifestyles enable the development of these moves naturally'. Come January 12, 2013, at least 25 college coaches, including former US U-17 national team coach Gerson Echeverry, will converge on Munro College in search of Jamaican talents to bolster their college teams. In Sarasota the coaches made no qualms about their respect and regards for the Jamaican player. They have even coined interesting descriptions for our players; "spice, vanilla, surgeons, magician", and so on.  ;D

To enable more Jamaican players to earn scholarships or international contracts and to ensure consistent qualification to at least the youth World Cups, I posit the following. This proposal will require partnerships between the JFF, Government, schools and the private sector. Key to this proposal is the development of players. International best practices take advantage of scientific knowledge and know-how, and we MUST endeavour to develop our players along these lines.

Human beings are creatures of habits. The modern football player and team are developed along this premise. Countries/clubs develop a philosophy that is unique to their particular environment and culture. Once developed, this philosophy gauges the development of players throughout the entire structure. Characteristically, the Jamaican player is fast, full of guile, strong, athletic and passionate. To take full advantage of these traits we need to develop a training regimen that will foster good habits that will eventually create the kind of consistent effort and quality that is required at the international level for sustained success.

This idea is based on the development of approximately 1,200 players divided into three age categories playing a minimum of 30 competitive games annually. Ideally speaking, this concept would be best developed in an academy structure. In the absence of such a structure, the use of parish teams would suffice. Each parish would develop three teams totalling 75 players; U-15 team 30 players, U-17 team 25 players and U-20 team 20 players. A total of 16 teams (Kingston and St Andrew have two each) at each age level would compete in a round-robin format in a season lasting 32 weeks from November to June. National select teams will participate in International Tournaments like the Dallas Cup or the Disney Cup. US Development Academy teams can be invited for pre-season training and/or off-season tours.

Like the US Soccer Development Academy teams and the teams of Traffic Academy, our players need to be developed in a consistent way. Training programmes need to be well thought out and planned. Each training session should be well planned in sync with programme objectives. Coaches must meet regularly to appraise themselves and the programme. Continued training and development should be the hallmark of every coach involved.

This will have numerous other benefits. Once properly developed and established, the general standard and quality of play in local football will follow. The players will very early recognise the value of quality preparation, consistency of performance and endurance through a long season. Consequently, more and more players will be exported to both the US college system and international clubs, thus creating positive effects for the human development and economic development of the country. The ultimate desire, World Cup Qualification, will also become more easily attainable.

As a sidebar, it is one year since my first article was published and I use this space to express sincere gratitude to the Jamaica Observer for allowing me space to share my views. To all those who have read my articles and offered feedback, positive or negative, you are all invaluable to my continued growth and development, thank you.

Editor's note: Andrew Edwards holds a BA, Dip Ed and is a teacher and football coach at Munro College and also the assistant coach of the National Under-20 team

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/pfversion/Building-Jamaica-s-football-from-the-root-up_13291484#ixzz2Gf2jeqip

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tappa Whitmore resigns
« Reply #3018 on: June 12, 2013, 03:27:06 PM »
Tappa Whitmore resigns
By Ian Burnett Sport Editor
Wednesday, June 12, 2013 | 8:46 AM

TEGUCIGALPA, Honduras – It appears that Honduras has claimed the scalp of another Jamaican coach, as the Jamaica Observer understands that head coach of the senior Reggae Boyz team Theodore Whitmore will resign in a matter of hours.
Jamaica suffered a 0-2 loss to Honduras on Tuesday night here at the Tiburcio Carias Olympic Stadium in Tegucigalpa, the team’s fourth defeat in a row, which leaves it rooted at the bottom of the six-nation points standings on two points, eight adrift of the USA, who slammed Panama 2-0 at the CenturyLink Field in Seattle, Washington. Costa Rica, who held hosts Mexico 0-0 at the Azteca for their fourth goalless result in the round, share second place on eight points, with Honduras next with seven points and Panama in fifth place on six points.

1/1
The top three teams earn automatic berths to the FIFA World Cup Finals in Brazil next summer, and the fourth-placed team earns another shot at the showpiece event with a home-and-away playoff with the winner of the Oceania region.
At the team’s return to their Real Intercontinental Hotel last night, a serious-looking Jamaica Football Federation president had told members of the media that he was “contemplating a meeting” for later that night.
That comment sparked interest as it was here on September 6, 2001 that Captain Burrell announced the firing of then technical director of Jamaica’s football programme, Brazilian Clovis de Oliveira at zero one hundred hours (1:00 am) following a 0-1 loss to the home side, which effectively eliminated the Boyz from the 2002 FIFA World Cup Finals in South Korea and Japan.
Then on September 11, 2008 the JFF boss made the announcement of the firing of another Brazilian Rene Simoes at the airport in San Pedro Sula, following a 0-2 loss and a string of poor performances from the team. Coincidentally, it was Whitmore, who was tasked with guiding the team for the three remaining matches in the campaign, which he duly won.
The Observer understands that Captain Burrell met with Whitmore, his assistant Braziloian Alfredo Montesso, Howard McIntosh, chairman of the technical committee, Michael Ricketts, head of delegation, and Raymond Grant, JFF general secretary here at the hotel early this morning where the coach was allegedly given a choice to resign or be fired.
An Observer source claims that a press conference is expected later today to announce the decision after Whitmore confirms his decision. It was not clear what decision was taken with Montesso, who was only recently announced as technical director of the football programmes.
Whitmore is reported to earn approximately J$ one million per month as head coach.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport/Tappa-Whitmore-resigns#ixzz2W2WJVOE7
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: June 12, 2013, 06:05:08 PM »
So I now see why RF is so scarce round here these days.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3020 on: July 18, 2013, 01:41:14 PM »
Jamaica hires German coach
July 18, 2013
By Associated Press

KINGSTON, Jamaica -- German coach Winfried Schaefer has been hired to lead Jamaica through its 2014 World Cup qualifying campaign.

Jamaica is last in the six-team CONCACAF group after four straight losses, including a 2-1 defeat to the first-place United States in Kingston last month.

The Jamaica Football Federation says the 63-year-old Schaefer, who replaces 1998 World Cup player Theodore Whitmore, has "an impressive resume."

Schaefer coached Cameroon at the 2002 World Cup and won that year's African Cup of Nations. In the current World Cup qualification, he also coached Thailand, which has been eliminated.

Schaefer's first qualifier with Jamaica is a Sept. 6 trip to Panama. The Caribbean team visits the U.S. on Oct. 11. Jamaica has a slim chance of finishing fourth, which would earn a playoff against New Zealand.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3021 on: July 19, 2013, 10:49:49 AM »
JA is still in the running to come 1 2 or 3 I find it interesting that the article is settling for 4th maybe they give up already.

win the next game and they right back in the running

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: July 19, 2013, 12:43:50 PM »
Tough away assignment against an in-form Panama team, but at least he'll have some time to work with the locally-based players.  Not too sure how Fifa's international dates are set for August, cause he could probably do with a friendly before the Panama game.

Offline Fyzo10

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: July 20, 2013, 09:32:11 AM »
Darren Mattocks is a BEAST

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: July 20, 2013, 11:16:22 AM »
Jamaicans on this thread strangely quiet these days.  :)
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3025 on: July 25, 2013, 04:21:03 PM »
Jamaican player tests positive
July 25, 2013
By Associated Press

KINGSTON, Jamaica --  A soccer player from Jamaica tested positive for a banned substance after a World Cup qualifying match against Honduras, the latest doping case involving athletes from the Caribbean island.

The Jamaica Football Federation says a "member of the Jamaican squad returned an adverse analytical finding on his urine sample" after the June 11 game.

The federation says it was informed of the result by FIFA on Tuesday.

The player and the substance involved were not identified. Jamaica lost 2-0 and is last in a six-team CONCACAF qualifying group led by the United States.

Last week, Jamaican sprinters Asafa Powell and Sherone Simpson were confirmed to have tested positive for oxilofrine, a banned stimulant, among five cases involving track and field athletes.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: July 25, 2013, 07:24:03 PM »
 nah is sarsaparilla - two ackee and heaps and heaps of grown samilia!!!!  yeah Jamaica!!! Yuh is teh boss of the Caribbean ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Notice all them reggae farts was not on the site for a while wha  'appen Jamaica eh bussing up teh hex? they eh even come in tuh support we in the Gold Cup ; ratty ratty rae they tto 4cup

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: July 25, 2013, 07:47:48 PM »
They test footballers for doping?? :o :o

when, where and why, where do they find the time especially in concacaf, after each competitive game??

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: July 25, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »
Must be random drug test
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: July 26, 2013, 01:06:09 PM »
Must be random drug test

nah is sarsaparilla - two ackee and heaps and heaps of grown samilia!!!!  yeah Jamaica!!! Yuh is teh boss of the Caribbean ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Notice all them reggae farts was not on the site for a while wha  'appen Jamaica eh bussing up teh hex? they eh even come in tuh support we in the Gold Cup ; ratty ratty rae they tto 4cup

I already made a post re your showing at the Gold cup...good job there winning that one game vs Honduras to get in. but..the work continues.

As far as this doping scandal goes, 34 year old Jermaine Hue is the player in question. He wasn't even in the starting 11 for the Honduras game. The fact that Marijuana is considered a performance enhancing substance also doesn't help the case of most Jamaican footballers, particularly those that rise from the grass-roots of society, where Marijuana is a daily staple for the under-privileged (and the privileged too lol). Not saying Marijuana is the drug, just saying i'm surprised we don't have more Jamaicans failing the "marijuana" test over the years at this level. And I believe I can say this for other Caribbean nations as well.

In terms of Jamaica's performance at the Hex so far? well, we started out OK, but when you lose two three games back to back at home, then you are all but dusted. That coupled with a coach who is not even qualified to even coach a club team in Jamaica (in terms of badges, intl experience etc), then you are going to be in trouble in crunch situations. Automatic qualification is still possible, but it will mean winning in Panama and not losing in the USA and beating Costa Rica and Honduras in Kingston. And just as Beenhakker and Hart gave your warriors a lift, I expect the RBZ to come out all guns blazing in the remaining games under Winfried Schaefer...we have nothing to lose at this point, the only movement we can make is upward movement since we already being s@#* on by everybody else...but Panama is firmly within grasp...we still have our destiny in our own hands. win four games and you are guaranteed the playoff spot. the new coach thinks its possible...so there is hope. Yes, I believe we can beat new Zealand if we get to the playoff...just like you beat Bahrain to get to Germany.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 01:13:50 PM by Reggaefan »

1]; } ?>