Yes
12 (17.9%)
No
34 (50.7%)
Hell Yes
21 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Voting closed: January 02, 2006, 04:58:17 PM

Author Topic: Jamaica Football Thread.  (Read 476019 times)

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Let's look at the foreign-born players of Jamaica
« Reply #270 on: December 22, 2005, 08:51:34 AM »

7) I am not sure I can give an accurate count of all the players that have represented Jamaica at one point or the other since then. Its been about 20 or so over the past couple 6 years, and many many more had and will in the future show interest in playing for the Boyz. There are many high profile players playing in the EPL right now who has Jamaican connections. Jermain Penant, theBent Brothers, Marlon Harewood(West Ham) are just a few.

Marlon harwood of west ham is of bajan parantage his mom and dad are from barbados . I suggest you all contact jonathan de guzman at fyernood  in holland his mom is jamaican he is from toronto. he is julian de guaman brother

So the players mom is Bajan, but he is claiming that he is eligible for Jamaica? 

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 22, 2005, 09:03:53 AM »
Andy Williams got a 10 minute run in the Croatia game.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 22, 2005, 09:09:31 AM »
thanks tallman...RF ...and others....just needed the info......20 players...mama....i not too sure i could deal with that....but say wha ???....its known there are more jamaicians in england than trinis....so the number of players with the bloodline will be greater....i thank the lord im tnt.......
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Should RF be banned from SocaWarriors.net
« Reply #273 on: December 22, 2005, 09:17:26 AM »
Why do we even care about Brazil vs Ja. games that took place ages ago ?

Jamaica was pleased with their results and they have a right to be so. If we tied 0-0 with Brazil, I'd be pleased, because even if you try to pack it in for 90 minutes, it is still tough to defend a Brazilian onslaught for 90 mins. Forget goal difference, it was a good result for JA. When we lost 2-0 to Mex in the Hex this year we were relatively satisfied that the were not disgraced, and we were talking about "with a little more luck we could have gotten away with a point", so let's not be hypocritical.

Good job RF but it's time to fast forward to the present.......
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 22, 2005, 09:33:45 AM »

7) I am not sure I can give an accurate count of all the players that have represented Jamaica at one point or the other since then. Its been about 20 or so over the past couple 6 years, and many many more had and will in the future show interest in playing for the Boyz. There are many high profile players playing in the EPL right now who has Jamaican connections. Jermain Penant, theBent Brothers, Marlon Harewood(West Ham) are just a few.

Marlon harwood of west ham is of bajan parantage his mom and dad are from barbados . I suggest you all contact jonathan de guzman at fyernood  in holland his mom is jamaican he is from toronto. he is julian de guaman brother

So the players mom is Bajan, but he is claiming that he is eligible for Jamaica? 

I DONT KNOW WHERE YOU GOT THAT FROM harewood parents are bajan born

Marlon's In A Spin
Marlon Harewood will be enjoying life in the Premiership with West Ham next season but he is just as happy manning the decks in a DJ booth, as Tom Collomosse found out.

Marlon Harewood's goals were crucial in securing West Ham's return to the Premiership last season. But the 25-year-old striker is just as at home in the DJ booth as he is in the penalty area.

Harewood is a passionate music fan, and took up DJing almost a decade ago. He has an impressive record collection at his home in Epping, Essex, and admits he would be keen to become involved in DJing at the end of his playing career.

"I starting DJing for a hobby, because it was something that kept me at home. I used to go out a lot," he says.

"I loved the music, so I just started buying a few bits and pieces, it went from there and I have been doing it ever since.

"I started when I was playing for Nottingham Forest when I was 17 or 18."

And as for the alternative career behind the decks? "It's something I'd like to get into after football," Harewood admits. "But it would be difficult to do it on a regular basis.

"DJing takes place mainly at night, and I'd like to be at home with my family then.

"It's difficult to do it too much during the football season, because you have training during the day."

Harewood is just as interested in listening to music as he is playing it, however.

The former Nottingham Forest player has an eclectic taste, and also enjoys watching live performances.

Michael Jackson remains a favourite, and the American R&B star Usher is Harewood's current music idol.

He adds: "I am into all kinds of music, but I listen to R&B and hip-hop mostly.

"I'm also into some soul tunes and I like a bit of funk as well.

"I am sometimes responsible for playing the music in the dressing room before the game; I like putting on different tunes that some of the other players like. I'm really into Michael Jackson and Usher as well.

"I have seen them both in concert. I went to see Michael Jackson in a concert in Finland when I was 17 or 18. Dave Bassett was the Forest manager at the time, and he sent me on loan to FC Haka, which was in a place not too far from the capital Helsinki.

"The last concert I saw was an Usher one. He was awesome; he is a proper performer. I love the way he conducts his music, his dancing, his dress-sense, everything about him."

That Harewood should mention Usher's fashion is interesting, because the Hampstead-born striker has a reputation among Hammers fans as a snappy dresser.

An interview in a club publication appeared to emphasise this trait - but Harewood insists such a characteristic is a myth and he is keen to debunk it.

"I spend a lot of time with my team-mates, and we often go clothes shopping after training," he reveals.

"But I'm not really fussed about any particular designer. If I see an item of clothing and I like it, it doesn't matter in which shop I find it."

Harewood - who married his wife Alison in December 2003 and is father to Pharrell, born earlier this year - would probably have become a cricketer had his father - a West Indies fanatic - had his way.

Indeed, Harewood's parents - who were born in Barbados - were so wary about their son's safety as a child that he was rarely permitted to leave the house in the evening to display his footballing skills.

Harewood recalls: "I only started playing football when I was about 11. I wasn't allowed out by my Dad - he was really strict. We didn't live in a bad area, but for some reason he thought there would be trouble and there would be kids misbehaving.

"I was straight out of school and straight home. I wasn't interested in football until one of my friends asked me to come and play for his team. I missed my first game because my Dad didn't know where to go, and neither did I. I didn't know the places because I wasn't allowed out.

"And for the second game, the manager had to come and pick me up - and I scored seven goals in my first game.

"I joined Nottingham Forest and it was a real eye-opener when I first went to live in Nottingham at the age of 15 because I knew I had to fend for myself.

"My Dad used to play cricket. I used to go and watch him and that was the only sport I really knew at the time.

"My Dad watches it 24-7. He supports the West Indies so he is not very happy at the moment, and I always wind him up by saying: 'What are you watching it for? They're rubbish!'

"Even when he comes round to our house, he puts the TV on and turns straight to the cricket."
When he turns his attention away from the thwack of willow upon leather, Harewood's father will be pleased to know that his son's affairs are now in the hands of the PFA.

Harewood is one of a growing number of players to join the players' union's agency. When his agent Phil Sproson became an official PFA agent, Harewood had no hesitation in following him.

"I was with Phil Sproson before from when I was at Forest, but then he joined the PFA and approached me with their offer and I thought it would be the right decision for me and my family," Harewood says.

"I know Phil and I respect him a lot, I know what he has done for me before and what he will do for me in the future.

"It's good to know that it's footballers looking after footballers. I know Phil and I know that he has my best interests at heart.

"I have been with the PFA agency for only a short time, but I had been with Phil for two years before I joined."

The arrival of his son Pharrell saw Harewood opt for practicality rather than performance on the road.

The need for greater space meant Harewood said goodbye to his Porsche and his BMW X5 and replaced them with Audis.

He adds: "As well as Pharrell, we have two dogs, so it's much easier to have two Audis as there is more space for everything."

Reproduced by Kind Permission of Players Club the official publication of the PFA

Privacy Policy - Web site content copyright ©2004 PFA,
All other material in this site not owned by the PFA is the property of it's respective owner. All rights reserved. 

http://www.givemefootball.com/display.cfm?article=6976&type=1
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 09:37:52 AM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 22, 2005, 09:34:35 AM »
breds...this thread is a disgrace. and some of te responses are embarrassing. lewwe doh encourage lil magician to be a hater nah. kix is kix, but de level ah ignorance on dis thread is retarded.

and lewwe doh talk shit. T&T vs. jamaica eh no foregone conclusion. Fool yuhself all you want, I feel TnT is the better side right now, but it will always be tight. And since JA has dominated the encounters recently, RF actually has some results to back up his sentiments...we jes' hoping...so lewwe leave it at dat and doh get it twisted.

And JA 0 - Brazil 0 is a great result. ANNND JA 0 - Brazil 1 is better than Ja 2- Brazil 8...because it is a greater confidence boost, shows you are getting some part of your tactics right and may just be the goal difference you need to get you into the next round in a tournament setting. We play one setta shit aginst the US and lose 0-1 and men does big up dat result. Men happy we eh get embarrass by mexico and only loss 0-2 in Mexico and den wann turn hypocrite and dis jamaica results against Brazil...lawd

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 22, 2005, 09:36:37 AM »
what my son get allyuh into here boy...eh....wonder where he get this from......???

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 22, 2005, 10:17:10 AM »
Lawrdy Big M...
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Tillamawnin

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 22, 2005, 11:26:24 AM »
well people.....as tnt enters  the world cup for the first time.....it is obvious the team will have some changes....i know there are two divisions on the foreign born vz the current tnt players...i will state my feelings " I NOT ON DAT"...but this thread is about the jamaica situation....i want info on a few things....maybe tallman or....i cant believe it.....reggae fan or warmonga....lol...i will need expert knowledge on this.....now i know i might be asking a lot...but see how comprehensive you can answer please.....cool..

5)Yes, Danny Maddix of QPR joined up with the squad for training, but Didnt quiete make the cut. I recall also another player called Busbie (Goal-keeper) actually trying out with the squad subsequent to France-98, but he diodnt make the cut. Players were normally assessed by Simoes before being invited to the squad.

RF, you are getting your wires crossed here. Busbie joined the squad for the 2002 WC campaign under Clovis de Oliveria, not under Simoes 1998 campaign. He was brought in because both Aaron Lawrence and Donovan Ricketts were injured and the third string GK Leon Gordon was lacking in experience. They thought Busbie would have been a better choice over Gordon, but it was not to be. Gordon went on to provide invaluable service between the sticks, thus relegating Busbie to the bench. Busbie never stood a chance when Lawerence and Ricketts recovered from injury and therefore daded out of the picture.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 11:27:56 AM by Tillamawnin »
There is nothing better than adversity. Every defeat, every heartbreak, every loss, contains its own seed, its own lesson on how to improve your performance the next time.

Malcolm X

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 22, 2005, 11:48:10 AM »
well people.....as tnt enters  the world cup for the first time.....it is obvious the team will have some changes....i know there are two divisions on the foreign born vz the current tnt players...i will state my feelings " I NOT ON DAT"...but this thread is about the jamaica situation....i want info on a few things....maybe tallman or....i cant believe it.....reggae fan or warmonga....lol...i will need expert knowledge on this.....now i know i might be asking a lot...but see how comprehensive you can answer please.....cool..

5)Yes, Danny Maddix of QPR joined up with the squad for training, but Didnt quiete make the cut. I recall also another player called Busbie (Goal-keeper) actually trying out with the squad subsequent to France-98, but he diodnt make the cut. Players were normally assessed by Simoes before being invited to the squad.

RF, you are getting your wires crossed here. Busbie joined the squad for the 2002 WC campaign under Clovis de Oliveria, not under Simoes 1998 campaign. He was brought in because both Aaron Lawrence and Donovan Ricketts were injured and the third string GK Leon Gordon was lacking in experience. They thought Busbie would have been a better choice over Gordon, but it was not to be. Gordon went on to provide invaluable service between the sticks, thus relegating Busbie to the bench. Busbie never stood a chance when Lawerence and Ricketts recovered from injury and therefore daded out of the picture.

In regards to Busbie....He wasnt apart of the simoes era.....he came along when Clovis was here. I was right to say that he didnt make the cut, as once Rickettes and Lawrenve retiurned, there was no spot for him, even as the third string keeper. He just didnt make the cut.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 22, 2005, 12:15:27 PM »
aye i see yuh quiet on the marlon harewood issue now eh
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #281 on: December 22, 2005, 12:37:14 PM »
In regards to Busbie....He wasnt apart of the simoes era.....he came along when Clovis was here. I was right to say that he didnt make the cut, as once Rickettes and Lawrenve retiurned, there was no spot for him, even as the third string keeper. He just didnt make the cut.

Yes we know... Tilla just corrected you.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 22, 2005, 01:18:30 PM »

Yes we know... Tilla just corrected you.

Well, Big Magic didnt request info pertaining only to the UB40s that came on board during the simoes era. He wanted to know if at any point any of tehplayers tha came over didnt make teh cut. Busbie is perhaps the biggest flop.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 22, 2005, 01:20:16 PM »

The reporter must have gotten it wrong. I read in a sports magazine that Harewood was eligible for the Reggae boyz! Then again, these reporters normally think Barbados is a part iof Jamaica   ::) Or perhaps Harewood himslef thought so  :-\

Offline richpy

• Sr. Warrior
  • *Marta is ah boss*
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 22, 2005, 01:24:57 PM »
Reggaefan, wasn't Gregory Messam a big, big player for alyuh at one time. Was it partly because of his discipinary record why he did not go to World Cup or play for Jamaica much afterward?
Ketch footballitis

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 22, 2005, 02:02:01 PM »
Messam was good.  The player I liked from Jamaica besides Whitmore was Hector Wright.  Cultured left foot, technical player which was not the norm for Jamaican ballas in dem times.  De prototypical Jamaican baller had more in common wit "Hagler" dan Hector Wright.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 22, 2005, 02:17:07 PM »
Reggaefan, wasn't Gregory Messam a big, big player for alyuh at one time. Was it partly because of his discipinary record why he did not go to World Cup or play for Jamaica much afterward?

Messam was a very discipline player. I think Simoes had an issue with his style of play....more of a gallery baller than anything. I recall one game in Kingston vs Venezuela when he had a simple one on one chance with teh goalie. I attempted to do a fancy chip, which missed the goal. Simoes was very disgusted with him. All in all, he wasnt one of my favorite players.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 22, 2005, 02:46:22 PM »

The reporter must have gotten it wrong. I read in a sports magazine that Harewood was eligible for the Reggae boyz! Then again, these reporters normally think Barbados is a part iof Jamaica   ::) Or perhaps Harewood himslef thought so  :-\

What eva you think every black player is england is jamaican the man is of bajan roots face it barbados is in jamaica what eva

Offline dotless007

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 22, 2005, 05:29:23 PM »
hahahahaha dis is real kix merry christmas to all

truetrini

« Reply #289 on: December 22, 2005, 08:18:12 PM »
rf is ah master at social engineering.

a real master.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 22, 2005, 09:22:53 PM »
truetrini d f**king is necessary      dotless is my neighbour an is sense he talking   

jamaica= SHIT

LOL Smallman hittin hard boy.

Hey Smallie I wanted some mustard on meh hotdog and ah yardie drive 4 hours today tuh bring mustard fuh meh (even doh ah coulda get mustard right here). Jamaican mustard eh nothin like Trini mustard but if yuh eh have brand name.....generic will do eh. And dah mustard work out good cause dry hotdog eh no good
So doh let RF make yuh miss out on some mustard eh....jamaican mustard sometimes necessary.

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 23, 2005, 06:53:05 AM »

What eva you think every black player is england is jamaican the man is of bajan roots face it barbados is in jamaica what eva

OK, he is Bajan and not Jamaican. You can now go to bed and be merry. One less thing to worry about eh?

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 23, 2005, 08:02:57 AM »
Palos

You know yuh baller. Hecky was the rel deal, as was Keith Tomlinson.

Haggler was not prototypical, neither was Hecky. Both were exception, but for different reasons.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 23, 2005, 08:09:30 AM »
aright...aright....i did not ask to big up no players....just needed some info to see where this curse can lead tnt to.....lol....thanks again fellas

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 23, 2005, 06:05:07 PM »
breds...this thread is a disgrace. and some of te responses are embarrassing. lewwe doh encourage lil magician to be a hater nah. kix is kix, but de level ah ignorance on dis thread is retarded.

and lewwe doh talk shit. T&T vs. jamaica eh no foregone conclusion. Fool yuhself all you want, I feel TnT is the better side right now, but it will always be tight. And since JA has dominated the encounters recently, RF actually has some results to back up his sentiments...we jes' hoping...so lewwe leave it at dat and doh get it twisted.

And JA 0 - Brazil 0 is a great result. ANNND JA 0 - Brazil 1 is better than Ja 2- Brazil 8...because it is a greater confidence boost, shows you are getting some part of your tactics right and may just be the goal difference you need to get you into the next round in a tournament setting. We play one setta shit aginst the US and lose 0-1 and men does big up dat result. Men happy we eh get embarrass by mexico and only loss 0-2 in Mexico and den wann turn hypocrite and dis jamaica results against Brazil...lawd

Any team can put 10 men behind the ball and hope to not concede too many goals.  My problem is with that mentality or philosophy. if you doh believe that your team can match another for 90 mins...what can it hope to do for the last 5 mins? Putting 10 men behind the ball against Brazil and only conceding 1 goal doesn't say anything about your progress as a team.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 24, 2005, 07:55:41 PM »

4) After Qualification, Marcus Gayle (Who also has links to Barbados), and Darryn Powell were invited.

I didnt know gayle was half Bajan so is Jason Euell and that busbie guy your talking about is Hubert Busby Jr he is now manager of Toronto Lynx in Canada.Nice Info. Reggae Fan ;D but I thought I make a few corrections.
The Marcus Bent & Darren Bent are not brothers. I happen to know Darren bents cousin who plays for the barnet youth team.
& Marlon Harewoods Parents are are both HARDCORE Ba
jans. Trust me on that one.  ;)

« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 07:58:37 PM by Futbol »

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 24, 2005, 08:05:38 PM »
I thought Marcus gayle was half or quarter Trini? im friends wid his brother Jordan i go ask him wen i see him. lol i remember maddix wen he didnt get picked man was rel sour sayin how allyuh go get murdered at world cup because yuh dont warm up and how ya cant bun weed at trainin 1 set ah ting.

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 24, 2005, 08:19:28 PM »
I thought Marcus gayle was half or quarter Trini? im friends wid his brother Jordan i go ask him wen i see him. lol i remember maddix wen he didnt get picked man was rel sour sayin how allyuh go get murdered at world cup because yuh dont warm up and how ya cant bun weed at trainin 1 set ah ting.
:rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 24, 2005, 08:22:12 PM »
Jamaica will always have the honour of being first qualifiers but in reality just how "Jamaican" was that Jamaica team ? I say that if Leo find these outside men can help bring them in.

The outstanding players in France 98 were the two Jamaican born and raised, Ricardo Gardenere and Theo Whitmore. Paul Hall subsequently got married to a former miss Jamaica pageant winner. Do you know Sol Campbell's father still resides in Manchester Jamaica? I bet these players as Jamaican as they get...p;erhaps their football talent was not developed in Jamaica, butthe players themselves are very much Jamaican. I've seen many teen-aged kids here in teh US, born here to Jamaican parents, and you;d think they just got off the plane yesterday. Looks and speaks Jamaican
Do you know Sol Campbell's father has been DEAD ever since september 2003!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 08:39:25 PM by Futbol »

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 24, 2005, 08:27:03 PM »
Jamaica will always have the honour of being first qualifiers but in reality just how "Jamaican" was that Jamaica team ? I say that if Leo find these outside men can help bring them in.

The outstanding players in France 98 were the two Jamaican born and raised, Ricardo Gardenere and Theo Whitmore. Paul Hall subsequently got married to a former miss Jamaica pageant winner. Do you know Sol Campbell's father still resides in Manchester Jamaica? I bet these players as Jamaican as they get...p;erhaps their football talent was not developed in Jamaica, butthe players themselves are very much Jamaican. I've seen many teen-aged kids here in teh US, born here to Jamaican parents, and you;d think they just got off the plane yesterday. Looks and speaks Jamaican
Do you know Sol Campbell's father has been DEAD ever since september 2003!
Excuse me for this reggae fan. I didnt see you acknowledged this earlier in the thread.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2005, 08:38:15 PM by Futbol »

1]; } ?>