April 27, 2024, 10:14:11 AM

Author Topic: Earthquakes probably will lose Sealy  (Read 5140 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Earthquakes probably will lose Sealy
« on: October 30, 2008, 11:44:16 AM »
Earthquakes probably will lose Sealy
By Elliott Almond (San Jose Mercury)

As the Earthquakes begin their off-season, it seems almost a certainty forward Scott Sealy and midfielder Francisco Lima won't return.

The players who helped in the team's second-half emergence gave strong indications of their departures after the season finale last weekend. (Coach Frank Yallop also talked last week as if it were a foregone conclusion Sealy was gone.)

Sealy, who is out of contract at the end of the year, said he is looking to play in Italy or the Netherlands.

"The club has done everything possible to keep me here, and I'll keep that in the back of my mind," said Sealy, as his son Dante stood by him. "But I've got a family to support, and in Europe there are a lot of opportunities where I think they are going to offer me a lot of money. I'm going to weigh my options, and then I'll make a sensible decision that's right for me and my family."

According to the Major League Soccer Player's Union, Sealy's salary is just under $35,000. He probably would earn a substantial raise from the Quakes but MLS teams cannot compete with European offers. Also, Sealy, 27, is interested in playing abroad.

"I think every player, they want to experience more," he said. "That's nothing against (MLS). I think the league has grown a lot since I've been in the league for the past four years. It's grown a lot, and I think it's more competitive than it's ever been. I want to go there and try it out, and see if the situation is right. If it's not right, I'll be back here." If he leaves then wants to return, the Quakes own his rights.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Earthquakes probably will lose Sealy
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:05:53 PM »
nobody eh doing fuh you yes.

scott have to collect that money now before he get too old.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 12:07:40 PM »
27 years old? Where in Europe he going? I wish him well. 
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:08:48 PM »
You can't pay people that kind of money (especially as long as they've been paying him)and expect them to want to stay around.

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 12:22:54 PM »
35K?? ... nah!! Professional Sports players have to make their $$ while young to save/ invest in other ventures when they're older - unlike some folk who spend it as fast as they make it and end up broke 5 years outta the pros .... but what can you possibly save on $35k/ year??

I would pay to sweat Zogsports and hold down a 9-5 instead ... no matter how much I love football - IF than was my only option.

Go wherever it takes to pay the bills and support the fam!! Good luck!!!
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 12:25:14 PM »
Under 35,000 a year....is madness.  They should have been paying this man at least 90,000 from since 2yrs back. Yeah is time to move to europe if you could get a good contract scott.

Offline Papasmurf

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://footballawayoflife.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 12:56:30 PM »
That is what d MLS does be doing...shaftin dem players and dem dread. Imagine a man top scoring for his team and making less than 35,000. he coulda well put on a suit and go and find a job somewhere and forget them. Atleast he woulda be able to feed his family. Scott, run yes dread, doh let them shite on u again.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 12:59:34 PM »
D MLS doh pay much lets hope he get some than dat 35 somewhere else
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
$35K here in Santa Clara County is poverty level as far as I'm concerned - average home price in the county (even now) is at $650K.
I don't know how he does it. He's been listed on the most underpaid MLS list for a few years now. He has to do what he has to.

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 01:27:48 PM »
I'm not kidding when I say this.....a lot of league 3 players in the UK earn more than that! At the current exchange rate that is less than £22k a year. I suppose the only worthwhile difference is his salary would go a lot further in the States as the cost of living considerably higher in the UK. Moving to Europe is as the Yanks say....'a no-brainer' in that situation.

I wish him all the best. Considering his performances in the MLS, his current salary and as long as he ain't too picky he could easily triple his salary in Europe.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 01:51:30 PM »
$35K here in Santa Clara County is poverty level as far as I'm concerned - average home price in the county (even now) is at $650K.
I don't know how he does it. He's been listed on the most underpaid MLS list for a few years now. He has to do what he has to.

tru dat! crackhead vagrant in the ghettoes of oakland down de road collecting more than that in welfare and foodstamp....and on top of that he have a youth to mind.

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 06:34:52 PM »
Under 35,000 a year....is madness.  They should have been paying this man at least 90,000 from since 2yrs back. Yeah is time to move to europe if you could get a good contract scott.

I tell Scotty since de season when he score about 16 goals..'when this season done and yuh money don't go up,call yuh agent,tell him yuh wanna sit down for lunch and discuss a few things,sort out de time and place,then go and buy de biggest pad lock yuh could find, put it one of yuh football socks and if after de convo he can't assure you yuh money will go up let him talk your agent on de side Mr. Padlock Sock'.

This move long overdue. Go Europe and handle yuh business Scotty.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 08:19:39 PM »
27 years old? Where in Europe he going? I wish him well. 

Somewhere paying him more than $35,000 facking dollars a year...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 09:12:20 PM »
WN had the opportunity to interview Brent Rahim after de T&T vs USA game at Foxboro in 2001.  This was just after he had graduated from Connecticut and was eligible for the MLS.  He told us that the LA Galaxy wanted to draft him and his sign on fee would be US$20,000 for the year.  He said people made more money flipping burgers so he was going to look at options in Europe.

The MLS gets away with this because they want to control salaries.  If a player gets transferred to a foreign team, the foreign team does not negotiate or pay the transfer fee to the player's team.  All negotiations and transfer payments are made to the MLS.  They in turn decide how much goes to the team and how much they keep.

In the case of Stern John's transfer to Nottingham Forest, MLS negotiated a clause whereby if Stern scored 20 or more goals for the season, Forest would have to pay a penalty of $1 million.  This is why Stern was sold to Birmingham (I believe it was) because he had scored 18 or so and it still had plenty matches to play in the season.

Simply put, MLS is a quasi slave league, especially for non marquee players who have few if any rights.  The League OWNS you...lock, stock and barrell.  Why allyuh think Shalrie Joseph transfer to Celtic fall through but Maurice Edu transfer to Rangers did?  Tink bout it.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 09:32:39 PM »
These are all reasons it is hard for me to like the US futbal setup. The product is improving but their mentality leaves a lot to be desired.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 09:41:07 PM »
My view on this situation is that the MLS is for them and their players,i wish our Pro league could do the same,check what our players get at home before we check what they are getting abroad,you feel it's any different?when i see guys leaving college and taking up a career in the MLS i try to understand what they went to college for.

Something we have to consider is how marketable are our players,the way i does hear peeps on here talk about our players i don't think much can be said about marketability,some talking about going to Europe, how many players we have playing in Europe and of those that playing there what level they playing.  

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 09:56:28 PM »
with that 35k year i feel he hadda be getting free housing, food, allowances, bonuses for goals, free kit and clothes etc.. cause that is real small paper.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 10:48:33 PM »
WN had the opportunity to interview Brent Rahim after de T&T vs USA game at Foxboro in 2001.  This was just after he had graduated from Connecticut and was eligible for the MLS.  He told us that the LA Galaxy wanted to draft him and his sign on fee would be US$20,000 for the year.  He said people made more money flipping burgers so he was going to look at options in Europe.

The MLS gets away with this because they want to control salaries.  If a player gets transferred to a foreign team, the foreign team does not negotiate or pay the transfer fee to the player's team.  All negotiations and transfer payments are made to the MLS.  They in turn decide how much goes to the team and how much they keep.

In the case of Stern John's transfer to Nottingham Forest, MLS negotiated a clause whereby if Stern scored 20 or more goals for the season, Forest would have to pay a penalty of $1 million.  This is why Stern was sold to Birmingham (I believe it was) because he had scored 18 or so and it still had plenty matches to play in the season.

Simply put, MLS is a quasi slave league, especially for non marquee players who have few if any rights.  The League OWNS you...lock, stock and barrell.  Why allyuh think Shalrie Joseph transfer to Celtic fall through but Maurice Edu transfer to Rangers did?  Tink bout it.

I agree with most of what you said but the implication of the last paragraph is that MLS asserts it's rights to players selectively... which is misleading.  MLS will assert these rights where there is a player whom they consider valuable.  Other players who they don't really care about they'll let them walk away.  Non-marquee and marquee players have the same rights... which are owned by the MLS as a single entity.  You think Beckham (if he wanted to) could just walk away and go join Inter Milan?

My point being, there is nothing sinister or slave-ish about what MLS does... nobody is forced to do anything, there are footballing opportunities in the US besides MLS, and there are other footballing opportunities elsewhere in the world that players don't HAVE to sign with MLS.  Everything the league does is above board.  What MLS enjoys is a decided advantage when it comes to the negotiating table since the players association is young and at this point still relatively powerless.  What MLS does with regards to player contracts is unfair to the players... but on balance it is necessary for the success of the league.  This is a league which only just started to turn a profit 2 maybe 3 yrs ago, so true free agency would be devastating to the league.  Free agency will come with time though, especially now that the league is becoming more successful and more profitable. 

In the mean time players like Sealy have to do what they have to do... this is the nature of the beast you're dealing with.  Bide your time and deal with it when you have to.. but when alternatives present themselves (and you're free to pursue them), then by all means check them out.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 11:35:07 PM »
I agree with most of what you said but the implication of the last paragraph is that MLS asserts it's rights to players selectively... which is misleading.  MLS will assert these rights where there is a player whom they consider valuable.  Other players who they don't really care about they'll let them walk away.  Non-marquee and marquee players have the same rights... which are owned by the MLS as a single entity.  You think Beckham (if he wanted to) could just walk away and go join Inter Milan?

My point being, there is nothing sinister or slave-ish about what MLS does... nobody is forced to do anything, there are footballing opportunities in the US besides MLS, and there are other footballing opportunities elsewhere in the world that players don't HAVE to sign with MLS.  Everything the league does is above board.  What MLS enjoys is a decided advantage when it comes to the negotiating table since the players association is young and at this point still relatively powerless.  What MLS does with regards to player contracts is unfair to the players... but on balance it is necessary for the success of the league.  This is a league which only just started to turn a profit 2 maybe 3 yrs ago, so true free agency would be devastating to the league.  Free agency will come with time though, especially now that the league is becoming more successful and more profitable. 

In the mean time players like Sealy have to do what they have to do... this is the nature of the beast you're dealing with.  Bide your time and deal with it when you have to.. but when alternatives present themselves (and you're free to pursue them), then by all means check them out.

You're right.  Nobody forces a player to sign with MLS anhd it wasn't my intention to portray that.  But once you in MLS, yuh better know what yuh dealin with...daz all I sayin.

As for the last paragraph, Shalrie Joseph's transfer to Celtic was stymied because MLS did not receive the price they wanted for the player.  Maurice Edu's transfer to Rangers went through because MLS got a price that was agreeable to them.  My theory is that the pricing in either case wasn't that far apart.  But I believe the decision to allow Edu to go was made because he is a US player and Shalrie is not.  If Shalrie were eligible for the US team, I strongly believe his transfer would have gone through.  Cyah blame them for looking out for THEIR i.e. USA's best interests but it sucks for the player involved.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2008, 07:04:21 AM »
Palos, i think the goal tally that was set for stern was 15 goals and they had to pay 100,000 pounds for every goal he scored after that.

Rodney, any light on this?

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2008, 07:08:20 AM »

You're right.  Nobody forces a player to sign with MLS anhd it wasn't my intention to portray that.  But once you in MLS, yuh better know what yuh dealin with...daz all I sayin.

As for the last paragraph, Shalrie Joseph's transfer to Celtic was stymied because MLS did not receive the price they wanted for the player.  Maurice Edu's transfer to Rangers went through because MLS got a price that was agreeable to them.  My theory is that the pricing in either case wasn't that far apart.  But I believe the decision to allow Edu to go was made because he is a US player and Shalrie is not.  If Shalrie were eligible for the US team, I strongly believe his transfer would have gone through.  Cyah blame them for looking out for THEIR i.e. USA's best interests but it sucks for the player involved.

Nice discussion guys,you all are right on with your views,very informative thoughts. :beermug:

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2008, 08:50:52 AM »
It is a sad situation, but in truth you can take it or leave it. Back in the day I was offered a contract in the NASL, money was not good so I eh worry with it. Man could of made more money in smaller leagues and holding a part time job as well. Outside of Europe, there is very little $$$ in football. Maybe Japan and China will pay ok but I recently spoke a Brazilian who told me he was making $250.00 US a week at Vasco. SBonuses yes if you win score etc, but dam that is real small change. So he is looking to move.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2008, 09:32:22 AM »

Not sure if I buy that US player bias thing. I just think that Shalrie is a marquee player in the MLS and if the league allowed him to get picked off for small money, they would set un unwanted precedent. US 'golden boys' like Eddie Johnson and Taylor Twellman saw potential moves to Europe get salt. And many foreigners have been allowed to leave. And good ones too.Not that your theory not possible. But MLS transfer patterns doh seem consistent with a bias to US internationals...

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 11:59:15 AM »
...especially when he has a family to support, that must be tough... but like someone mention -- im sure he gets free housing, food, clothing, and discounted items.
Hart for president

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 12:14:59 PM »
Living on $35,000.00 in de US is very very hard.  If de MLS have a players union they need to negotiate a reasonable minimum salary for players.  At least $45,000.00 to $50,000.00 should be the minimum.

I also believe that MLS treats players differently depending on where they are from.  They are trying to football in the US to mainly the white and hispanic audiences.  Players from the caribbean and africa are treated like second stringers.

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2008, 01:55:12 PM »
with that 35k year i feel he hadda be getting free housing, food, allowances, bonuses for goals, free kit and clothes etc.. cause that is real small paper.

Actually, de benefits do extend dat far for some players.....So we still hadda take dat into consideration

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2008, 03:03:24 PM »
Great discussion guys,
                                 It is like a no win situation for the fringe players. They want to play but the money small. So I guess when the opportunity presents itself to make a more money, is a no-brainer to 'buss-it" for greener pastures. Keep the discussion going guys!!!!

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2008, 03:44:44 PM »
that just ent right.....i just hope he gets an opportunity somewhere in europe....maybe one of our oversea players could vouch for him.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 10:37:10 PM »

This is where I think yuh being a li'l bit naive as to MLS.  MLS not in the business of developing US soccer players... that is the job of the USSF.  MLS prefers to have native-born players because they feel that the largely 'native born' fan base will more readily identify with the fellow Americans on the pitch.... but they not into selling American players to benefit the men's national team.  MLS bottomline is money. 

Maurice Edu is a young and relatively unproven player... Shalrie Joseph, whether we appreciate his talent or not, is one of the best midfielder in the MLS and so they want to make sure they get as much for him as possible.  How is NOT selling Shalrie beneficial to MLS? Why would they do that... simply because he's Grenadian and dey ent care about the Grenadian National Team?  Dat ent make no sense.  If MLS was so interested in farming out US players so that they'd develop then they wouldna prevent Dempsey from going abroad for as long as they did (before finally relenting) and even dat next overrated one Taylor Twellman woulda done been kicking ball across de pond arready.  MLS want to make sure dey getting good money fuh dey players, dem ent no farm league fuh de USSF.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2008, 10:55:49 PM »
I believe all the players get living allowances and food per diems so that should help a little. Additionally the league and players association just signed their firs collective bargaining agreement some years back and that expires at the end of next season.  The usual pattern is that the CBA gets more and more equitable as time passes... usually one side (management) is stronger at first but then the union gets on an even footing.  This is what players in TnT need to understand about FPATT.

At any rate here is some info on the Union and player benefits:

After negotiating with MLS in 2003 and 2004, on December 1, 2004, the Players Union and MLS signed the first-ever collective bargaining agreement (CBA) covering MLS players.  The CBA runs through the 2009 season, and has provided significant new benefits for MLS players.  Prior to the CBA, the minimum salaries for players had never increased, players received no form of retirement benefits, and many players lacked basic health insurance.  Among other things, the CBA increased minimum salaries, established a 401(k) plan with guaranteed contributions from MLS, and guaranteed that all players and their families will be provided with 100% fully-paid health insurance benefits.  In addition, the CBA provides for an independent arbitrator to hear disputes between MLS and the players.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/about_mlspu.html

This is a link to a .pdf file on player salaries for 2008... I posted the list for previous years elsewhere but this is just too long to post.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/9_7_08_salary_info_club.pdf

1]; } ?>