April 13, 2024, 04:14:53 AM

Author Topic: A blast from the past/who was the most dominant intercol team in the 70's  (Read 2038 times)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I was doing some research and what I saw was tranquility was dominant in the early 70's winning an unprecedented 3 in ah row 73,74,75 also wiining a fourth during that period as well,no team correct me if I'm wrong has yet to duplicate that,they owe most of there success to the great tom phillip ah boss forward. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2005, 03:49:49 PM by Tallman »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: A blast from the past/who was the most dominant intercol team in the 70's
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 04:29:53 PM »
Youth,

I glad u have ur memories yes.

When I was at Fatima in the 80s, Tranquila was lucky if dey was in the same league as us...

I think they usually played in a lower div.

Not that we was always de greatest...but Tranquil was a serious non factor in dem days.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 06:08:46 AM »
I would have to agree with you vb,but at one point we had a good spell in the early 80's nothing significant but at least competitive. 

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 07:41:59 AM »
saga

that 3 in a row is that a north title or national titles-doh get me wrong 3 straight zonal titles is good but
i thought sando tech run the 70's with fatima, naps and maybe john D close behind in terms of ntional titles.
maybe somebody else could confirm or deny.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 07:56:44 AM »
saga

that 3 in a row is that a north title or national titles-doh get me wrong 3 straight zonal titles is good but
i thought sando tech run the 70's with fatima, naps and maybe john D close behind in terms of ntional titles.
maybe somebody else could confirm or deny.

SandDo tech what a Dynasty.  Don't forget Benedicts dey Football King  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 08:08:14 AM »
yeah observer yuh right benedicts also sando, fatima, john D and naps  in the 70's them 5 rule the 70's

i think tranquil win 1-not so

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 12:20:49 PM »
football king I think yuh have it right,here's a little piece from the trinidad football digest I got off the website,and they quote:The tranquility government secondary school's senior football team has a rich and proud history in the secondary school's football league.

In the 1970's Tranquility etched an indelible mark on the football landscape in the north zone,winning four intercol championship trophies,including a hattrick of victories in 72,73,and 74 following which we got to keep the boac trophy,symbol of football supremacy in the north.

1974 remains our most successful year.We played unbeaten through to the National Intercol final against presentation college.An astounding hattrick from the boot of our prolific scorer,center-forward winston "tom" phillip gave the boys in yellow and black a 5-1 victory,and our first lien on the national intercol trophy.

INFO FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH.       

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 10:35:13 PM »
Early part of the seventies yeh, Tranquil, it was like men against boys, Tom repeat fifth form 3 times.
But the seventies also had other standout teams Fatima (that hurt), John D, Belmont (remember plucky and harewood with big bird in de back), Trinity (Chinas, derek lewis),Pres south (dey lorse the intercol final against belmont 5-1, dey keeper Ragoo was drunk).
Cyar pick ah dominant team apart from Tranquill in the earlies, but the football was real good.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2005, 11:06:38 AM »
Is true Fatima was strong in de 70's but with all ah dat ah believe is only one Intercol Trophy dey win.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 12:02:10 PM »
Fishs yuh right yes!...in chute the league was very competative...those schools that were mention had some good players.... one big clash I remembered was Trinity vs Belmont (tink on Fatima Ground)...Big Bird v Chinas

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 01:01:10 PM »
Belmont & Tranquil.  Dem South teams wasn't able.  Plucky, Harewood & Bird was formidable.

De ting I remember bout Tranquil (other than dey football) was dey super supporter call "Attack".  Dah man used to run rong de whole field shoutin "Attack, Attack"....whole flikkin game.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 05:31:53 AM »
Remember how good dem days was .
After intercol final in de oval was woodbrook modernaires on de streets an man an woman carrying on like it was carnival tuesday evening.
what it have now ?
Ah want de woman on de bass

1]; } ?>