April 27, 2024, 04:34:08 PM

Author Topic: Best SSFL team you ever witness.  (Read 18410 times)

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Best SSFL team you ever witness.
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 01:49:19 PM »
St Anthony's....Kenwyne Jones, Carlos Edwards, Evans Wise, Julius James, Kevon Neaves etc

palos whais dah one? wise went st anthonys long before KJ and carlos, etc,  ;D

I never say dey play together.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 01:51:32 PM »
Have some real madness being posted here. Correction was already made bout de 86 team from Pres because Shaka did not play in 87 for CIC. Another point, Yorke was DEFINITELY not the only big play for Signal Hill. Colvin Hutchinson, "Puny" Davidson and others ably assisted de boss. Next thing......how de hell Evan Wise getting call with dem men like Kenwyne and dem for St. Anthony's?  I play against Evans Wise, Miguel Mitchell, Ricardo Aleong and dem in 1988. So Wise play for 12 yrs or so? Anyway, Sando Tech was de best I see as a older fella fuh sure. When ah was lil younger around de early 80's de quality of de teams seemed a lil better.
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 02:05:06 PM »
Have some real madness being posted here. Correction was already made bout de 86 team from Pres because Shaka did not play in 87 for CIC. Another point, Yorke was DEFINITELY not the only big play for Signal Hill. Colvin Hutchinson, "Puny" Davidson and others ably assisted de boss. Next thing......how de hell Evan Wise getting call with dem men like Kenwyne and dem for St. Anthony's?  I play against Evans Wise, Miguel Mitchell, Ricardo Aleong and dem in 1988. So Wise play for 12 yrs or so? Anyway, Sando Tech was de best I see as a older fella fuh sure. When ah was lil younger around de early 80's de quality of de teams seemed a lil better.

Show where I posted dat dey play togeddah.  Nex time take yuh time and read fuss b4 bumpin.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 02:07:59 PM »
St Anthony's....Kenwyne Jones, Carlos Edwards, Evans Wise, Julius James, Kevon Neaves etc

add ian mcauley to that list
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline pardners

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 02:20:16 PM »

Arguably most folks does say that about their era.  It does seem so though.

I lil partial to the Pres 83-84 team...with men like Larry Joseph, Linley Prince, Don Harry.  But general concensus is to go with the Tech 85 team with the 11 NT players.

Allyuh ever notice how yuh never hear about some of the injuries in SSFL, that yuh hearing about now ?
Long time the only injury a yute man getting was break foot or buss shin or something like that...and man still playing ball with that.  Now yuh hearing about groin strain, hamstring, ACL, tendonitis, tear ligament, stomach flu....wah is dah one boy ?
Now a yute man get a mosquito bite and he cyah play.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."        Every once in while a good post does come along.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2008, 02:24:21 PM »

i'd agree with that. i think steve sealy was in the mix too. that was a beastly team. they added roderick anthony too.

my father was a teacher at sando tech and he saw them in the glory days and said no other ssfl team he's seen compared.

i have to add the 1999 and 2000 naps team. in 1999 i believe naps went undefeated all season winning 19 out of 20 with the draw coming in the Big 4 final where naps drew 2-2 with el do and then in the replay won. naps won everything on offer that year

Yeah...Sealey was poison wit dem too.

Dem win everyting it ever had to win.  North Zone, Big 7, Intercol, de works.  One a de few teams to do so.  Ah TINK dem went unbeaten too if ah not mistaken.  Not sure if any other SSFL ever do dat eedah.

Actually...daz a good question fuh Tallman.  How many SSFL teams won de treble since de Big 7/Big 5 came to be?

Which sealy iz dat? Not scott right?

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2008, 02:27:57 PM »

i'd agree with that. i think steve sealy was in the mix too. that was a beastly team. they added roderick anthony too.

my father was a teacher at sando tech and he saw them in the glory days and said no other ssfl team he's seen compared.

i have to add the 1999 and 2000 naps team. in 1999 i believe naps went undefeated all season winning 19 out of 20 with the draw coming in the Big 4 final where naps drew 2-2 with el do and then in the replay won. naps won everything on offer that year

Yeah...Sealey was poison wit dem too.

Dem win everyting it ever had to win.  North Zone, Big 7, Intercol, de works.  One a de few teams to do so.  Ah TINK dem went unbeaten too if ah not mistaken.  Not sure if any other SSFL ever do dat eedah.

Actually...daz a good question fuh Tallman.  How many SSFL teams won de treble since de Big 7/Big 5 came to be?

Which sealy iz dat? Not scott right?

steve

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2008, 02:48:35 PM »

palos whais dah one? wise went st anthonys long before KJ and carlos, etc,  ;D

I never say dey play together.

good try dey palos but men talking about best team not best school so the assumption is when yuh call names they play on the same team.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2008, 02:49:41 PM »
I don't know about only supporting your own era. palos see about 6 decades of SSFL even when it only had about 6 schools involved  ;D

I personally saw a few in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Peru and White in the late 70's were a cut above
Latas and Leonson at Tec was special in the 80's
Dwight and Hutch at Signal was good in the 80's

But for me as I said Benedicts 60's and Tec 70's are the best.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Fantastic

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2008, 03:02:17 PM »
I ent falling fuh dat Palos. Wasn't referring to u with de rest of de points, but as Observer observed the title of de thread indicates a team  not school history. Yuh is a board veteran doh so ah yuh allowed a slip up or 2    ;D
Doh loss yuh head boss

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2008, 03:06:26 PM »
I ent falling fuh dat Palos. Wasn't referring to u with de rest of de points, but as Observer observed the title of de thread indicates a team  not school history. Yuh is a board veteran doh so ah yuh allowed a slip up or 2    ;D

i see people saying this team in the '70s and that team in the late '80s and such. when someone ask what was the best basketball team ever they might answer the bulls in the '90s. i give palos some slack because i think he was referring to the st. anthony's teams (or players on those teams) in the mid '90s to mid 2000's - they all played within 6 or 7 years.

Offline 2cents

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FPL Vibes
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2008, 03:15:10 PM »
Sando Tech ...with latas
Arima snr comp...with jamerson
Signal Hill..with Yorke
St Augustine ....with Nixon
Malick.....with Dwarika
Belmont....with (I think Colin Roberts) The year they win intercol

My absolute favorite ssfl Team....Arima snr Comp 91' with Mickey Trotman, Dwayne Demmin, Darron Gooding, Pope, Powtan, Bishop, Carrera, Austin, Thomas, Khari Williams (khari Kill), Coa

Yessssss fadda...I was in standard 5 that yr....remember dem names dey. Trotman, Demmin, Bishop moms used to teach Religious Instruction in Malabar Gov't...Coa was a boss too. Ah did real like football dem time...had lessons in Arima on evenins and use to duck to go Intercol in mih short pants....big big team
It's only kinky the 1st time

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2008, 03:17:14 PM »
I saw them all to date and my pick is undoubtedly 'The Brunner Boys' as de best team with the emphasis being on team.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2008, 03:24:20 PM »
Presentation (San F'do) in 1996 had a wicked squad. Had a keeper that was converted to a striker that season, and he rain goals on other teams. Too bad the season was officially suspended in the middle of season due to the teachers' strike.
That year however, an un-official Intercol of sorts was conducted, and most of the team continued to play.
Pres came away unofficial Nat'l Champs that year.

My favourite squad from Pres is the 93 squad that Avery John skippered. In South Intercol, beat Naps 3-0. We scored in the last min of regulation time with a curling corner vs Benedicts and ended up beating them on penalties. Then Avery Score the winner from a PK vs. Ike Jurwan led Princes Town in the finals. Eventually got beat by Signal Hill in the National Semis.  

Saw lots of Benedicts and Pres while in primary school up to 91, and those teams starred Ivan Sampson and Anthony Sherwood respectively. During that time, also witnessed the St. Benedict's vs. Arima debacle in Skinner Park, when the crowd invaded the pitch and the game was called off.

From the North when regional intercol started, St. Anthony's always seemed to have a good squad in the mid-late 90s.  

That goal was classic! I was at the game and remember me and my partners from school cussin' up a storm because, it looked like we were going to lose 1-0 to Benedicts AGAIN for the third year running.

Then came that that curling corner....

Easily my best live football memory.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2008, 03:52:26 PM »
Bess - Sando Tech.  Hands down best team but to be fair that was the National Under 18 team.  Arima did well to hold that team at bay for so long in the Final.

One of meh all time favorites has to be the first Green Machine team to splash out in the Intercol with Long and Long (Anthony Gray) in goal, Garth Pollonais up front, and Kenny Joseph on the sidel lines.  I may be bias but I am of the opinion that the overall quality was higher with the smaller number of schools competing.  I have not seen an Intercol game since 86.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2008, 03:55:38 PM »
the 99 malick wit

tiny and kevy up front

tintin theobald and conrad in the middle

primus and clarkee in the back

the 01 st anthonys

fresh off the worldcup...stadium full every game

julius in the back kenwyne lockin the middle  and abiola clarence and ian macully upfont

grovsnor had da side runnig circles around everybody

02 malick when tinto now come...............only long ball to the left winger and he go do the rest

all yuh hearing is coach saying " doh rush him he go beat yuh"

he had real spanner to share dat season
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2008, 05:00:54 PM »
thank god none ah allyuh still watching inter col today...allyuh go vomit
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2008, 05:29:21 PM »
Probably not the best, but the best I see:

The Signal Hill side of the early 90s..

De Eldo side with Stern, Hayden Brathwaite, Ince, Larry Loobie and co... (might not all been in the same year)

The Gustine side with Nixon and McCommie..

De Malick side with Arnold Dwarika and Junior Hamilton, and couple years after with Marvin Gordon, Amuffin Daniel, Chesley Walters & co..

The Benedicts side of the early 90s..

The St. Anthony's side with Carlos that win out everything..

The Arima side with Glen Benjammin, Kirk Trotman and a fellah name i think Kerwyn Emmanuel & co.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2008, 05:32:46 PM »

BM i tried to go games but it jus so poor. I went a couple pres and naps games in south and I shame to see that Naps won the National title. If that is the best in the country right now we in a real sad state of affairs.
But i still happy the title went to the southland :devil:
Back in Trini...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »

I watch last year final and yuh eh lie. I eh say nutten too loud, but I thought it was real poor. Even the rating of players for me was way off what I expected. I spoke with some old heads after the game and most agreed that  we eh even see one player with some magic on the day.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2008, 06:02:35 PM »

De Eldo side with Stern, Hayden Brathwaite, Ince, Larry Loobie and co... (might not all been in the same year)

De Malick side with Arnold Dwarika and Junior Hamilton, and couple years after with Marvin Gordon, Amuffin Daniel, Chesley Walters & co..

The Arima side with Glen Benjammin, Kirk Trotman and a fellah name i think Kerwyn Emmanuel & co.

i feel yuh mean kerwyn emmanuel and not glen benjamin, glen went asja then benedicts.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2008, 06:20:25 PM »

BM i tried to go games but it jus so poor. I went a couple pres and naps games in south and I shame to see that Naps won the National title. If that is the best in the country right now we in a real sad state of affairs.
But i still happy the title went to the southland :devil:

I think the lack of atmosphere in College's league today.... and our increased exposure to int'l football has alot to do with it.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2008, 06:24:38 PM »
kicker..naps vs pres is one of the few games that still has great atmosphere..the atmosphere was the same that i had seen 8 years ago...the quality was clearly what had changed
even a couple of coaches in the crowd admitted the same
Back in Trini...

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2008, 06:28:54 PM »
When I was at Pres, there was a running joke that the only people who went to Naps and didn't bring sada roti and tacaree for lunch was the football team.

A whole side of imports.
No shame whatsoever.
throw parties, not grenades.

Offline Lower St. John

• It's All About Unity, Togetherness..........
  • Hero Warrior
  • Don't cry as it's over, continue to enjoy it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2008, 06:38:22 PM »
By many accounts, it is said that Intercol has fallen off.  Another forumite made the comment that we are a society of football watchers on tv.  A while back I would have presumed that watching higher quality football and studying the game would have lead to a higher brand of football in high school at home but sadly that is not the case.  What youths see on tv they would prefer to try on FIFA 2009 for X-box.

Blessings
Germany 2006 Was A Lifetime Experience Not To Be Forgotten!!!!!!!!!

Offline acb

• Party like a wok star
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Presentation College San Fernando
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2008, 06:47:53 PM »
By many accounts, it is said that Intercol has fallen off.  Another forumite made the comment that we are a society of football watchers on tv.  A while back I would have presumed that watching higher quality football and studying the game would have lead to a higher brand of football in high school at home but sadly that is not the case.  What youths see on tv they would prefer to try on FIFA 2009 for X-box.

Blessings

In theory that should work right?
However, the same brand that you see on tv not that easy to replicate.

When I was in Pres, Bro Michael wasn't only principal - but also team chaplin, bus driver, coach, selection committe, statistician, tactician, etc. Next day after a game, when he giving the results in assembly - he used to talk about playing to our strengths and not according to what we see on tv. He used to always say that we are not Brasil, so don't try to play like them ... especially in those days when home grounds wasn't the Manny Ramjohn, it was Union Hall.

The players our youth footballers look up to are professionals. While it is definitely something to aspire to, we simply can't play one touch fancy football with flicks, no look passing, etc. First thing - we don't practice the way they do. We don't have the diet (and stamina) that they do. We do not have the basic skill set that the possess. We have to play in a style that suits us best. That is what we did in the golden days, and that is sadly what's lacking now.

I actually think the level of coaching, the preparedness and technincal and tactical knowledge has increased 10-fold amongst our coaches - but how we communicate that to the young players seems to be where the breakdown is occuring because they are not showing it on the field. Maybe that communication being done via text messaging too.
throw parties, not grenades.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2008, 06:59:37 PM »
When I was at Pres, there was a running joke that the only people who went to Naps and didn't bring sada roti and tacaree for lunch was the football team.

A whole side of imports.
No shame whatsoever.

all the top sides had their period when they imported and did not import, and it real easy to tell the difference between the two periods, when beendicts, pres, naps, p town etc were winning they were importing, when they did not import dey collect serious licks that resulted in relegation.

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2008, 08:18:27 PM »

i feel yuh mean kerwyn emmanuel and not glen benjamin, glen went asja then benedicts.

Actually, I think he might have ment to say Granville Millington....thats the only player from that squad that I could think of whos name starts with G.   Arimaman should be able to to clarify that since he or his brother might have been on that squad.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2008, 08:40:16 PM »
John-D and the Mucarapo squad with Clauzel in the late 70's. Only saw Sando Tech televised.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2008, 08:56:45 PM »
This really isn't about people sticking to their generation as some of us older heads have been accused of doing, but, the quality of football in the SSFL has, sadly, fallen WAY, WAY OFF.......The last Intercol game I witnessed was the North Zone final between Mucorapo and Fatima in '05 and it was terrible.  Mucorapo were, by far, the more skillful team, but their collective attitude and Fatima's industry, clearly fueled by a greater desire to win, did them in.  It's too bad, because all the years I have lived abroad, I have always kept Intercol among the small list of things I miss the most about T&T.  It eh what it used to be.  That being said, the top teams I have ever witnessed in colleges League are:

Sando Tech: Anthony Clarke, Latas, Russel Sutton....allyuh know dem!      

Mucorapo Senior Comrehensive: Ian "The Dread Dribbler" Clauzel, Tractor, Emmison Dubisson (sp) my favourite of all time (outside QRC!)

Green Machine in the early 80's was damned near UNSTOPPABLE! Pollanais, Mickey Rat.....

San Juan wit Mamba and he posse, come in we grounds and ress tree quick ones in meh ass!!

Fatima wit the Netto Brothers was a good side

Tranquility in the late 70's

John D in the late 70's

by all accounts, ah hear Dwight's Signal Hill posse was no joke, too!

Most hourable mention goes to Mucorapo Junior Secondary school in the early 80's.  The best U-14 team ever assembled:

Ross Russell
Clint Marcelle
Russel Sutton
Bugger
Todd Willis
and plenty more ah cyah remember

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

1]; } ?>